Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    petedude wrote: »
    How many revisions do we get, generally? I seem to remember two. If you don't make the grade on the second, what happens? My poor recollection says they charge you for any further resubmissions.

I'm not sure there is a limit for Taskstream?
    WGU grad
  • themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    Evaluation of Performance Tasks With a 3-Level Rubric

Tasks with a 3-level rubric do not have a limit on the number of attempts. Once you complete each task, it is scored by an evaluator according to the following three-level scale:

0 = Unsatisfactory
    1 = Needs revision
    2 = Satisfactory

Please discuss the results of evaluations with your mentor, and refer back to your course of study if you feel there are areas that you need to work on.

You must receive a score of 2 in each rubric aspect to pass a task. You have will have a chance to revise the task until it is passed.

Evaluation of Performance Tasks With a 5-Level Rubric

Tasks with 5-level rubric are limited to 4 attempts (an initial submission and three revisions). Once you complete your assessment, it is scored by an evaluator according to the following five-level scale:

0 = Unsatisfactory
    1 = Does not meet standard
    2 = Minimally competent
    3 = Competent
    4 = Highly competent

If the assessment is a lower-division undergraduate program assessment (these performance assessments are denoted with an asterisk), you need a score of at least 2 in each rubric aspect in order to pass the assessment. If the assessment is an upper-division undergraduate program-specific assessment or graduate program assessment, you need a score of at least 3 in each rubric aspect in order to pass the assessment. If you receive a score lower than these standards in any aspect, you will not receive a passing score for the assessment. If you do not pass, you will have three opportunities to revise your submission to this assessment.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • TheSuperRuskiTheSuperRuski Member Posts: 240
    I was wondering if anyone could help me with a debate im having currently. I have already requested information and spoke with an EC at WGU. I have decided this is the college i want to attend but i`m already planning on taking two or three certifications that the course i will be enrolling into will include. I`m taking my security+ exam within the next two weeks and once i finished i want to get my CCNA, CCNA security and maybe MCTS:70-680.

The question i have is, should i take them on my own and then transfer them into WGU or get them as apart of my studies there? I am a contractor and more certs means more avenues for certain jobs and/or maybe even a full-time position. I can have them done within the next 3-6 months. Does anyone have any ideas? The possibility of not having to spend 400 - 500 dollars solely for vouchers and training material is promising but not if those courses are 2 years from now.
    [CENTER][FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4][COLOR=red][I]Величина бандит ... Ваша сеть моя детская площадка [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

• howiehandleshowiehandles Member Posts: 148
    Has anyone successfully been accepted to a "traditional" grad school based on their Bachelor's degree from WGU only? Meaning, you/they didn't have a second degree from a "traditional" school?

I'd like to save money, and expedite my degree by getting it from WGU, but my concern is I would like to get my Masters, eventually, from a specific school in my area. However, said school is a private Catholic university, and much too expensive for me to pursue my BA at this time.
  • qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Has anyone successfully been accepted to a "traditional" grad school based on their Bachelor's degree from WGU only? Meaning, you/they didn't have a second degree from a "traditional" school?

I'd like to save money, and expedite my degree by getting it from WGU, but my concern is I would like to get my Masters, eventually, from a specific school in my area. However, said school is a private Catholic university, and much too expensive for me to pursue my BA at this time.

I was accepted into a Masters program at Davenport University.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I was wondering if anyone could help me with a debate im having currently. I have already requested information and spoke with an EC at WGU. I have decided this is the college i want to attend but i`m already planning on taking two or three certifications that the course i will be enrolling into will include. I`m taking my security+ exam within the next two weeks and once i finished i want to get my CCNA, CCNA security and maybe MCTS:70-680.

The question i have is, should i take them on my own and then transfer them into WGU or get them as apart of my studies there? I am a contractor and more certs means more avenues for certain jobs and/or maybe even a full-time position. I can have them done within the next 3-6 months. Does anyone have any ideas? The possibility of not having to spend 400 - 500 dollars solely for vouchers and training material is promising but not if those courses are 2 years from now.

I would take as many certifications as you can and then transfer them in before enrolling. It saves you time and benefits you quicker than taking them at WGU's pace. I still have the Project+ and MCITP:EA at WGU to take. I really wish I had done the MCITP:EA before enrolling.
  • Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□

Many do, check here for examples.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■

If your intent is to major in IT: Security, then yes, I would definitely get those transferred in before starting WGU. You will save a lot of time and will be able to knock out the other courses quickly. After I knock out Project+, I'll have 9 courses left that do not include the MCITP:EA. I could have already been near done had I already had an EA, but such is life, I suppose. But since you're already on track to get those on your own, then it would behoove you to get those and transfer them in.
    Excellent1 wrote: »
    Many do, check here for examples.

Thanks for that link Excellent1. I will be sure to add it to the original post.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I could have already been near done had I already had an EA, but such is life, I suppose. But since you're already on track to get those on your own, then it would behoove you to get those and transfer them in.

I actually delayed my start date by a month so I could wrap my upgrade to MCSA 2003. That knocked out the Network+ requirement. Between that and my recently earned CCNA (counted towards Security), I shaved off two concentration courses-- a fair timesaver.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
    petedude wrote: »
    I actually delayed my start date by a month so I could wrap my upgrade to MCSA 2003. That knocked out the Network+ requirement. Between that and my recently earned CCNA (counted towards Security), I shaved off two concentration courses-- a fair timesaver.

In my case though, I had rationalized that I might have perhaps wanted structure (however strong or weak) in obtaining the MCITP:EA (or any Microsoft certs for that matter). When left up to just me, it just wouldn't get done. However, I now see that that structure came with a price of time. I can deal with that though. :)
  • TheSuperRuskiTheSuperRuski Member Posts: 240
    Ah, i see. I think im going to get atleast my CCNA and CCNA security before enrolling. How is that Project+ btw? It sounds extremely boring.
    [CENTER][FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4][COLOR=red][I]Величина бандит ... Ваша сеть моя детская площадка [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

• petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Has anyone successfully been accepted to a "traditional" grad school based on their Bachelor's degree from WGU only? Meaning, you/they didn't have a second degree from a "traditional" school?. . .

In addition to what others have said, WGU is regionally accredited. I have yet to see an admissions site for a university list a "traditional" degree as a requirement for entrance. A WGU degree will get you past the undergrad degree requirement with ease, as grad programs will refer to the CHEA database or some book that will tell them WGU is RA.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
    How is that Project+ btw? It sounds extremely boring.

Put it this way, it's not sexy or cute by any means. However from those who have passed it before me, it seems quite doable. Chapter 5 from the Sybex text seems to be the only thing keeping me awake as it breaks down nonsenses like RFP, Statement of Work, etc. The formulas are rough...if it looks like I need another week, I'll move the date up.
  • uhtrinityuhtrinity Member Posts: 138
    How is that Project+ btw? It sounds extremely boring.

It is boring, but not all that difficult especially if you have worked in a business environment and know hr speak. There was a lot in common with the leadership and professionalism courses, so take those together if you can.
    Technology Coordinator, Computer Lab Instructor, Network Admin
    BS IT Network Administration AAS Electronics / Laser Electro Optics
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Project+ 2009 its not hard, however if your not use to project management of any kind it can be difficult
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • blittrellblittrell Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Passed the Project+ cert about 7 years ago to maintain my CNE/MCNE status and although it was not the most exciting thing in the world it had a lot of things that made sense in figuring out projects. My boss always said every project takes 3 months, 1 month for planning, 1 month for development and 1 month for deployment and that was his idea of project management. Project+ opened my eyes to what it really means to manage a project.

When you are in working you can apply the trifecta formula, can't remember the name of it, but it consists of Time, Money and Quality, any restriction on one affects the other two and this can pretty much be applied across all aspects of IT.

That being said, I will have to retake Project+ even though I have a lifetime cert because it is beyond the 5 year cut off. Oh well. Can't wait to relearn Gant charts!!!! HeHe
  • lenell86lenell86 Member Posts: 75 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hey everyone, I stumbled across this thread when I just passed Security+ and was surfing around on the MCSE thread looking for tips on passing the 70-293 on my path to obtain the MCSE credential, when I noticed alot of the people had on their signature that they attended or currently attend WGU.

This got me curious and looked over their site and it looked to be solid, along with the feedback I've been reading on this thread, overall, the school seems legit and isn't one of those online degree mills. It seems to be a pretty good tough course. I like the part where they base it on CU's, not traditional credits, and working on your on pace, some do it fast but for me I'd probably take it slow since I have a fulltime job with a wife, kid, and another on the way.

I've been in the IT field for almost 10years doing desktop support and I've been trying to move up to the system admin type work but it's been pretty hard, especially with no degree and had barely any certs. With the economy the way it is, its more critical than ever to have a degree to even be looked at for higher level IT jobs. I've passed a few certs but I think a degree will definitely put me in line backed with my experiece.

I was looking at the BS IT-Security since thats eventually what I want to specialize in. IMO, I think there are too many MCSE's/Cisco system admin/network admins out there and since security is taking off, especially with all those hackings that you see on the news, I think security is a good field to go into.

Has anyone had any experience with this particular degree with WGU? If so, what are your experiences? Is it worth pursuing my MCSE or further in Microsoft? The only reason I was taking it was to familiarize myself with Microsoft servers and such since the majority of market share out there is in fact MS. The security degree at WGU doesn't seem to contain any MS course or certs except for the Win7 client exam (70-680). Is there any certs that people would recommend to get to compliment the security degree, apart from the ones they will be training you on?

Any insight or feedback would be great!
    Certifications complete: A+, Net+, Security+, MCTS 70-401, MCSA
    Currently working towards: MCSE (70-293)
  • joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm also doing the security focus...it seems like a waste to go in without having the ccna and ccna security not done, seeing as how those could take 6 months themselves.
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
    I'm also doing the security focus...it seems like a waste to go in without having the ccna and ccna security not done, seeing as how those could take 6 months themselves.

Yea but for someone like me with almost no experience with Cisco concepts/hardware, it would be rough for me to learn it on my own and I wouldn't want to rush it and not learn anything just so I could complete it and mark it off as a course in WGU.
    lenell86 wrote: »
    Yea but for someone like me with almost no experience with Cisco concepts/hardware, it would be rough for me to learn it on my own and I wouldn't want to rush it and not learn anything just so I could complete it and mark it off as a course in WGU.

Yes and no. You will still be on your own if you go the Security route without a CCNA/CCNA Security. Only difference is you'll have access to other people in the same boat (but for that, you could do that here without paying $3K a term). Keep in mind too, that while simulators for routers/switches exist (e.g. Boson), they're not as good as the real mckoy (e.g. a real Cisco Kit) and that can run you a few hundred to a few thousand, depending on the kit you buy. (That's not including your electric bill.)

If networking/security is really what you want to do, it may behoove you to get your CCNA/CCNA Security out of the way first. You can do it, perhaps, at your local community college via the Cisco Networking Academy if you prefer a classroom setting. Then you can transfer that in and save some time (not necessarily money, but definitely time).
  • someuser23someuser23 Member Posts: 103
    Is WGU a choice choice for newbies to the I.T industry or is it better suited for those with real world experience?
    Ribs still touching....
    Yes and no. You will still be on your own if you go the Security route without a CCNA/CCNA Security. Only difference is you'll have access to other people in the same boat (but for that, you could do that here without paying $3K a term). Keep in mind too, that while simulators for routers/switches exist (e.g. Boson), they're not as good as the real mckoy (e.g. a real Cisco Kit) and that can run you a few hundred to a few thousand, depending on the kit you buy. (That's not including your electric bill.)

If networking/security is really what you want to do, it may behoove you to get your CCNA/CCNA Security out of the way first. You can do it, perhaps, at your local community college via the Cisco Networking Academy if you prefer a classroom setting. Then you can transfer that in and save some time (not necessarily money, but definitely time).

Well if I held off on starting WGU, and did CCNA on my own or at a community college, don't community college terms for those class(s) each a full term like Aug-Dec or Jan-May? That would be the same amount of time if taking it at WGU.

Or could I take some prerequisite classes I need to take anyway and do CCNA on my own, then when it comes time that CCNA is required to get my degree, I can just say "hey I passed this on my own" and provide transcripts proving I did it?
    Is WGU a choice choice for newbies to the I.T industry or is it better suited for those with real world experience?

Be sure to check out WGU's new admissions requirements to be sure you qualify: Online Bachelor Information Technology Degree | WGU College of Information Technology

That should help you decide.

I personally believe it is more suited for someone with real world experience.
    Well if I held off on starting WGU, and did CCNA on my own or at a community college, don't community college terms for those class(s) each a full term like Aug-Dec or Jan-May? That would be the same amount of time if taking it at WGU.

Or could I take some prerequisite classes I need to take anyway and do CCNA on my own, then when it comes time that CCNA is required to get my degree, I can just say "hey I passed this on my own" and provide transcripts proving I did it?

Not really what I meant, though that's certainly an option. What talking more about this. If you wanted to do a CCNA at a classroom setting, there are community colleges that offer Networking Academy and they are usually separate from regular education tracks at those institutions. If you went the WGU route, it's almost no different than doing it on your own. Only difference is you got a $3k a term price tag every six months (which in reality is 5 months, because the last month you usually can't enroll in classes).

You will want to check out WGU's transfer requirements, which Veritas has put in the first post of either this thread or the Student Experiences (almost positive it's this one).
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Be sure to check out WGU's new admissions requirements to be sure you qualify: Online Bachelor Information Technology Degree | WGU College of Information Technology

That should help you decide.

I personally believe it is more suited for someone with real world experience.

agreed experience really helps at wgu
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
    Not really what I meant, though that's certainly an option. What talking more about this. If you wanted to do a CCNA at a classroom setting, there are community colleges that offer Networking Academy and they are usually separate from regular education tracks at those institutions. If you went the WGU route, it's almost no different than doing it on your own. Only difference is you got a $3k a term price tag every six months (which in reality is 5 months, because the last month you usually can't enroll in classes).

You will want to check out WGU's transfer requirements, which Veritas has put in the first post of either this thread or the Student Experiences (almost positive it's this one).

ahh ok, that makes sense. Well, I think I read somewhere also that they really want you to transfer your certs before you enroll so in my case, if I were to start Jan 1st, 2011, and I did pre-requisite courses like math and science and do my CCNA on my own, I don't think they will accept the certification while your enrolled. Unless someone can debunk this...
    ahh ok, that makes sense. Well, I think I read somewhere also that they really want you to transfer your certs before you enroll so in my case, if I were to start Jan 1st, 2011, and I did pre-requisite courses like math and science and do my CCNA on my own, I don't think they will accept the certification while your enrolled. Unless someone can debunk this...

I think what you mean is if you enrolled and you did say the CCNA on your own (meaning you didn't enroll in whatever class that is and got their voucher) then you're right. Here's an example:

You enroll (for argument's sake) today. You study for CCNA and decide to take the exam (meaning you pay for it out of pocket). What happens is because you didn't enroll with your mentor, your CCNA isn't counted toward SAP (the equivalent of a GPA), but instead you get something called "Required for Passing." That's not what you want to do, because it could negatively affect SAP.

What you want to do (if you choose) is to become a CCNA BEFORE you are enrolled in WGU and before you accept your final transcript. If your final transcript is agreed by you before you enroll, then thats it, you have to take the CCNA the WGU way...(enroll in that class and then ask for the voucher to take your CCNA exam). Make sense?
    I think what you mean is if you enrolled and you did say the CCNA on your own (meaning you didn't enroll in whatever class that is and got their voucher) then you're right. Here's an example:

You enroll (for argument's sake) today. You study for CCNA and decide to take the exam (meaning you pay for it out of pocket). What happens is because you didn't enroll with your mentor, your CCNA isn't counted toward SAP (the equivalent of a GPA), but instead you get something called "Required for Passing." That's not what you want to do, because it could negatively affect SAP.

What you want to do (if you choose) is to become a CCNA BEFORE you are enrolled in WGU and before you accept your final transcript. If your final transcript is agreed by you before you enroll, then thats it, you have to take the CCNA the WGU way...(enroll in that class and then ask for the voucher to take your CCNA exam). Make sense?

Ahh yes it does. That's probably why people on this thread is always suggesting to do the certs before they enroll. In my situation, if I do that, who knows when I'd get done doing the CCNA track on my own. I'd be putting off school againicon_sad.gif On top of that, I kinda want to complete the MCSE>MCITP: EA track as well.

I think my goals are to get the degree first since I'm pretty sure that's whats hindering my chances out there with getting initial interviews and such since I have experience.

What if I enrolled for Jan 1 and did the required prereq classes and say I completed my CCNA by start of the next term (July), would they waive it or say nope you didn't take it before you enrolled. Do they want you to submit your cert documentation before you enroll in their school period or before you enroll every term?
    What if I enrolled for Jan 1 and did the required prereq classes and say I completed my CCNA by start of the next term (July), would they waive it or say nope you didn't take it before you enrolled. Do they want you to submit your cert documentation before you enroll in their school period or before you enroll every term?

As I said, once you agree to your final transcript, coursework at WGU, that's it. In other words, if you didn't do a math, science, English, etc, before you enrolled, then you have to do it through WGU's course of study (COS). If you didn't have a CCNA, then you are doing it through WGU's COS. If you do it BEFORE you agree to enrollment, then it becomes transferred. You can't transfer stuff in once you have begun your studies at WGU.

Keep in mind it's doable to do a CCNA through WGU. You got folks here that are doing that. I'm doing (eventually) my MCITP:EA through WGU, though had I waited to do it on my own, I would have had to do A+ and Network+ again...and not only that, they would no longer be lifetime. F' that! All I'm saying is, it's not like you'll have a professor (in our case "course mentor") holding your hand as you're learning how to install an IOS or doing router commands...you're essentially going to do all of that as if you're self-studying. Yes, you can go through the COS, but many of us tend not to for cert classes. Security+, for example, I was sent some some garbage material that had I used it would have almost guaranteed failure. The Labsim WGU provided was good, but I was better off with Darril Gibson's book instead. (Got to pass Security+ quickly and sweetly.)