Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• lenell86lenell86 Member Posts: 75 ■■■□□□□□□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    As I said, once you agree to your final transcript, coursework at WGU, that's it. In other words, if you didn't do a math, science, English, etc, before you enrolled, then you have to do it through WGU's course of study (COS). If you didn't have a CCNA, then you are doing it through WGU's COS. If you do it BEFORE you agree to enrollment, then it becomes transferred. You can't transfer stuff in once you have begun your studies at WGU.

Keep in mind it's doable to do a CCNA through WGU. You got folks here that are doing that. I'm doing (eventually) my MCITP:EA through WGU, though had I waited to do it on my own, I would have had to do A+ and Network+ again...and not only that, they would no longer be lifetime. F' that! All I'm saying is, it's not like you'll have a professor (in our case "course mentor") holding your hand as you're learning how to install an IOS or doing router commands...you're essentially going to do all of that as if you're self-studying. Yes, you can go through the COS, but many of us tend not to for cert classes. Security+, for example, I was sent some some garbage material that had I used it would have almost guaranteed failure. The Labsim WGU provided was good, but I was better off with Darril Gibson's book instead. (Got to pass Security+ quickly and sweetly.)

thanks, you answered my question. Now it's time to decide if I should slow my role and not rush to start on Jan 1st and just focus on certs or just deal with it and do it during the course at WGU.

I also just passed security+ with Darril's book. I would recommend that as well to anyone taking security+.
    Certifications complete: A+, Net+, Security+, MCTS 70-401, MCSA
    Currently working towards: MCSE (70-293)
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Each course that you would take the CCNA and CCNA:Security certs are 6CUs ea. You could just do them for your term. Although the roughly $1500 it would cost for the WGU vouchers and materials is half the cost of a term you get access to dozens of books/test prep/videos from skillsoft and the added motivation to get it done. Plus if you finish it earlier then 6 months then you can take other classes. For me I didn't have the cash to get books or study aides and my job doesn't reimburse for certs but they do for college so it was an easy decision for me to wait until school.
    oh really? I thought if you did the certs on their dime, you have to wait till your done with the course (6months) to take the exam. So for the cert classes, say if you do em in 1 month, then you can continue on?
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    lenell86 wrote: »
    oh really? I thought if you did the certs on their dime, you have to wait till your done with the course (6months) to take the exam. So for the cert classes, say if you do em in 1 month, then you can continue on?

As with all of their classes, if you can pass their final exam than you don't have to go through their training. Usually you take a pre test, and if you do good your mentor will sign you up for the final exam. Same works for the certifications.

I'm in the start of month 3 and almost have 25 credits. Just keep on keeping on.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
    Yup, when your ready you just request the vouchers and they will be e-mailed to your student email. I have 55CUs planned for this term including A+, Sec+, Project+, CIW v5 and MSDT:Win7, should have 35 by this weekend (need to resubmit QLT1 and have TEV1 and TTV1, both parts of the A+, on fri) and my term doesn't end till Mar 31st. Depending on time I might start on BGV1 (CCNA) if I run to close to next term or LAT1 and LUT1 if I have a few weeks. I'm planning on doing the BGV1 and BLV1 (CCNA and CCNA:Security) for next terms SAP since I'll get my reimbursement for 1st term around then and I can use it on a nice Cisco lab.

Anyone follow the thread on Cheapest path to VCP? I wonder if we could get WGU to use the VMWare Academy since they already have the software/videos from VMWare. It would be nice to get a VCP to go along with the networking track. Of course I'd like to see them drop CCNA:Security for SSCP and add Linux+ but I doubt that would happen.
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Why in the world does the network security track have the CCNA in it, but the Network Admin track does not!?
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
    chmorin wrote: »
    Why in the world does the network security track have the CCNA in it, but the Network Admin track does not!?

Because the other tracks have Net+....I didn't get that either. The IT Fundementals courses should be the Comptia tri-certs (A+, Net+, Sec+) and the security course should be SSCP. The network admin track should have a VCP and both network tracks should have CCNA. BSIT should be the way it is. But this is what happens when vendors have say over curriculum. Would be nice if WGU had a way to offer single courses to help keep some of these certs they offer also. I don't even have the CCNA and I'm worried about how I'm going to keep it.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    eansdad wrote: »
    Because the other tracks have Net+....I didn't get that either. The IT Fundementals courses should be the Comptia tri-certs (A+, Net+, Sec+) and the security course should be SSCP. The network admin track should have a VCP and both network tracks should have CCNA. BSIT should be the way it is. But this is what happens when vendors have say over curriculum. Would be nice if WGU had a way to offer single courses to help keep some of these certs they offer also. I don't even have the CCNA and I'm worried about how I'm going to keep it.

Seriously??? You do realize that SSCP requires years of experience and the VCP requires outside training that you or your business have to pay for? The CCNA is not vendor neutral and is a little overkill for what WGU wants to teach you about networking. I had a networking class at my community college that was based on the Network+ so I don't see the problem with it. WGU also wishes to allow you to achieve your BS in 4-years, not more. If every degree plan had the CCNA than you probably wouldn't be achieving it in four years.

I understand what you are saying but I think there is more to it than outside influence. The VCP would be nice, and I would love it we had a Linux and Microsoft path. Who knows, maybe there will be in the future.
    SSCP is 1 year of expierence and you have 2 years after certification to get it. The VCP training can be done online via the VMWare Academy. I didn't say do away with the Net+ but since a lot of network admins deal with Cisco a CCNA for a networking program makes sense. Adding a VCP and CCNA to the networking track or an SSCP and Linux+ to security shouldn't prevent someone from graduating within the 4 year time frame. I'd like to see the data on graduation time frame, I'd bet most people finish within 2.5 years.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    eansdad wrote: »
    SSCP is 1 year of expierence and you have 2 years after certification to get it. The VCP training can be done online via the VMWare Academy. I didn't say do away with the Net+ but since a lot of network admins deal with Cisco a CCNA for a networking program makes sense. Adding a VCP and CCNA to the networking track or an SSCP and Linux+ to security shouldn't prevent someone from graduating within the 4 year time frame. I'd like to see the data on graduation time frame, I'd bet most people finish within 2.5 years.

That really depends on what else is going on in the students life.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    The CCNA is not vendor neutral and is a little overkill for what WGU wants to teach you about networking. I had a networking class at my community college that was based on the Network+ so I don't see the problem with it. WGU also wishes to allow you to achieve your BS in 4-years, not more. If every degree plan had the CCNA than you probably wouldn't be achieving it in four years.

+1. Took me a couple years to do the CCNA on my own. I can't imagine trying to tackle it as part of a WGU curriculum and wrap the program on a timely basis.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I'm calling out to the WGU experts. I am planning on doing the MS in Information Security and Assurance. According to their website, some certifications such as Net+, wireless, disaster recovery etc, will be required. Now, I won't be able to start until 2012. Since one of my main goals is to finish quickly, my question is, am I better off doing some of those certs in 2011 on my own? If I get certified, does that equate to one course less per cert? If I understand correctly WGU provides vouchers for the tests but since my goal is to save time and not money I don't mind paying for the tests now.
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I'm calling out to the WGU experts. I am planning on doing the MS in Information Security and Assurance. According to their website, some certifications such as Net+, wireless, disaster recovery etc, will be required. Now, I won't be able to start until 2012. Since one of my main goals is to finish quickly, my question is, am I better off doing some of those certs in 2011 on my own? If I get certified, does that equate to one course less per cert? If I understand correctly WGU provides vouchers for the tests but since my goal is to save time and not money I don't mind paying for the tests now.

The certs are the exam for the course. So GIV2 is the Net+, FZV2 is the one part of the CWSP, FMV2 is the CHFI, FNV2 is the CEH, FXV2 is the EC Disastor Recovery and FYV2 is the GIAC G7799. When ever I look at that list all I hear is "One of these things just ain't like the other"... Aside from the Net+ these exams are not the easiest of exams. Hopfully WGU can get their CAE certification before then. They just missed it this past year.
    petedude wrote: »
    +1. Took me a couple years to do the CCNA on my own. I can't imagine trying to tackle it as part of a WGU curriculum and wrap the program on a timely basis.

The program is ment to be a 4 year degree most of us just finish before hand because of on the job skills. Unless you know Cisco products well I wouldn't recommend doing the CCNA/CCNA:Security classes without a lot of time to spare. So either keep a few classes aside to make SAP quick then take BGV1 or take BGV1 and BLV1 at the start of a term (or carry it over from the previous term as long as you've made SAP).
  • never2latenever2late Member Posts: 122
    I have been studying the BGV1 since Nov 1 and just now finished the Labsim, study materials and COS, and am now actually taking practice tests. It is taking longer than I had envisioned but there is a lot of information and I have some hands-on Cisco experience. Could be that I'm being overly cautious but this course is not something you can breeze through. Hope to take the test by the 17th but it depends on my confidence level. I have never failed a cert exam and plan to keep that little streak alive and well.
    never2late wrote: »
    I have been studying the BGV1 since Nov 1 and just now finished the Labsim, study materials and COS, and am now actually taking practice tests. It is taking longer than I had envisioned but there is a lot of information and I have some hands-on Cisco experience. Could be that I'm being overly cautious but this course is not something you can breeze through. Hope to take the test by the 17th but it depends on my confidence level. I have never failed a cert exam and plan to keep that little streak alive and well.

Don't you already have a CCNA?
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd definitely not recommend the Security path for anyone without some Cisco experience as the time limits you have make it difficult. Also only take those Cisco classes at the start of a term.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    From 10 years ago and it was a beta test. Never did pursue the CCNP cert which was a major mistake on my part. Also never kept up with recertifying but kept my feet wet with the Cisco routers and firewalls in my job.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    never2late wrote: »
    From 10 years ago and it was a beta test. Never did pursue the CCNP cert which was a major mistake on my part. Also never kept up with recertifying but kept my feet wet with the Cisco routers and firewalls in my job.

Someone like you would be ok. For someone who isn't in Routers everyday or even every other day, the CCNA portion would be rough...unless you have a nice kit at home or something. It sounds like you would have no issue passing the CCNA...especially if you passed it once already (even if was 10 years and it was a beta... :) ).
    I completed the Labsim and did the network simulator exercises. The books were not as helpful in my opinion. The Labsim is great so that is where I have concentrated most of my efforts. I am probably erring on the side of caution but want to make sure I understand all the concepts since many of them I haven't done in a long time. Plus the holiday season does slow you down a bit dealing with family obligations and travel.
    question for anyone that knows this that is enrolled in the 2 specialties: I'm currently on the fence with the security degree vs the network design and administration one. My mind was currently set with security since that's what I eventually want to do down the road but it looks like the only special thing about it is the CCNA & CCNA security exams.

I currently have my MCSA (obtained finally 9/10/10), A+ (12/4/04), Net+ (5/10/05), Sec+ (11/29/10). Right now I was currently studying for the MS 70-293 and my plan was to continue on that path to get my MCSE then MCITP:EA but then I saw the WGU school and applied so I'm almost in but now with the certs I hold and path I was headed to, I dunno if I should still go for the security degree or NDM one.

If I go the security route, will my mcsa or any other certs hold value? Or if I go NDM route, will my MCSA clear some other requirements? Should I go NDM and just obtain my CCNA on my own since my certs I hold and was going for, is really designed for a MS path and I would think it would clear many requirements if I took the NDM.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Well one bit of good news. Whichever path you take your MCSA will satisfy your A+ and Net+ requirements as those are over 5 years old and wouldn't have counted. Unfortunately I think it's too late for the MCSA to count towards your core (MCITP) classes for the NDM emphasis. If you were to take the upgrade exam now, before enrolling or finalizing your transfer credits, then you'd knockout both the 70-640 and 70-642 in one exam. That'd leave just the 70-643 and 70-647 for your MCITP:EA unless you just want the Admin path and then you'd only have to take the 646.
    You'd actually probably have less to take with the NDM path as the security major has the extra courses Java Programming (2 classes), Web design, and database and then the CCNA and CCNA Sec classes.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    earweed wrote: »
    I'd definitely not recommend the Security path for anyone without some Cisco experience as the time limits you have make it difficult. Also only take those Cisco classes at the start of a term.

You just put a damper on my dreams lol
    earweed wrote: »
    Well one bit of good news. Whichever path you take your MCSA will satisfy your A+ and Net+ requirements as those are over 5 years old and wouldn't have counted. Unfortunately I think it's too late for the MCSA to count towards your core (MCITP) classes for the NDM emphasis. If you were to take the upgrade exam now, before enrolling or finalizing your transfer credits, then you'd knockout both the 70-640 and 70-642 in one exam. That'd leave just the 70-643 and 70-647 for your MCITP:EA unless you just want the Admin path and then you'd only have to take the 646.
    You'd actually probably have less to take with the NDM path as the security major has the extra courses Java Programming (2 classes), Web design, and database and then the CCNA and CCNA Sec classes.

Thanks thats exactly what I needed to know. I honestly at this point in my life, just want to get the degree done and over with and wanted to know at my current situation, would get me the fastest with a degree with my certs I hold now. I guess I will just talk to my Enrollment guy and tell him to switch me to the NDM track.

So your saying with my MCSA, that wouldn't knock out any pre-reqs for the security track right?

What do you guys think? If I take the NDM track and just pursue the CCNA&CCNA security on my own, that would be a good mix right?
  • uhtrinityuhtrinity Member Posts: 138
    Short of the extra certs in the emphasis or the capstone(s) I don't see much of a point in specialization in WGUs programs or in going for two programs which would require additional certs and an additional capstone.

The WGU diploma will simply say: BS in IT, the transcripts list the emphasis, but in the end I don't believe it makes a huge difference.
    Technology Coordinator, Computer Lab Instructor, Network Admin
    BS IT Network Administration AAS Electronics / Laser Electro Optics
    uhtrinity wrote: »
    Short of the extra certs in the emphasis or the capstone(s) I don't see much of a point in specialization in WGUs programs or in going for two programs which would require additional certs and an additional capstone.

The WGU diploma will simply say: BS in IT, the transcripts list the emphasis, but in the end I don't believe it makes a huge difference.

oh I had no idea the diploma doesn't show the specialization. So the diploma just shows BS of IT huh...well that makes all the difference, I'll just do NDM lol.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    lenell86 wrote: »
    oh I had no idea the diploma doesn't show the specialization. So the diploma just shows BS of IT huh...well that makes all the difference, I'll just do NDM lol.

Just on a lark, I was curious to know what would happen if I switched out NDM with the regular major, as I have nine classes left to take outside the MCITP:EA classes. I think my current emphasis has two more classes than the regular IT...as I'd have to take a DB class, a portfolio, still would have to take ABV1, and programming. I wouldn't do myself any favors switching.

Having said that, if you're gonna go for NDM, do factor in how you're gonna study for the MCITP:EA...you will want to lab hard for it.
  • nbkriplnbkripl Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello All,

I have good IT experience, work in the field today. I am not a super hands on IT person but I have already taken an A+ geared course from a community college but just didn't sit for the exam.

My mentor sent me the book for TTV1 by mistake when they were supposed to send the TEV1 one. I have requested the TEV1 tonight, but I don't want to wait the 3-5 days for the correct book and want to get started on my next course now, tonight/tomorrow.

Is there any reason not to take TTV1 (The A+ Practical Application Exam 220-702) before taking TEV1 (A+ Essentials Exam 220-701)?

I am not sure if the information is that building it would significantly hamper me being able to pass the 220-702. I also don't know if there is a pre-requisite with CompTIA that states you must pass 220-701 BEFORE you can take 220-702.

I am here looking for everyones wisdom on this subject. Thanks for your time.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    i took both a+ classes in 1 day (4 hrs between then)

they cover alot of the same stuffs, just in a diff way
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    Question: I am considering starting WGU in January/February.

My concern is that I am currently self studying for the CCENT/CCNA, and I am worried that if I start WGU I will have to put the CCNA on hold due to the WGU work load.

I will not put the CCNA on hold, and if you guys think it will be hard to do WGU + CCNA please let me know, and I will wait till I am done with my CCNA before I start WGU.

Also, the track I am choosing at WGU - NDM does not include CCNA it includes MCITP-EA

Thanks in advanced.
    Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security