Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    . . .
    My concern is that I am currently self studying for the CCENT/CCNA, and I am worried that if I start WGU I will have to put the CCNA on hold due to the WGU work load.

How much would you be transferring in? Much depends on where you're starting with the program. If you're starting out with an Associate's, you'll only have the concentration coursework left, and much of that could probably be juggled with the CCNA.

If you're starting out fresh with no credits, IMHO most of the general education stuff at WGU looks like it would be manageable with a CCNA study plate, as long as you don't get science or math up front.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    petedude wrote: »
    How much would you be transferring in? Much depends on where you're starting with the program. If you're starting out with an Associate's, you'll only have the concentration coursework left, and much of that could probably be juggled with the CCNA.

If you're starting out fresh with no credits, IMHO most of the general education stuff at WGU looks like it would be manageable with a CCNA study plate, as long as you don't get science or math up front.

I just finished an A.A.S in Computer Technology, and I figure my A+ and Net+ would knock out some classes.

I know I will have some Gen-Ed stuff, for I have not taken Comp 2 or College Algebra or any Civs
    Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I just finished an A.A.S in Computer Technology, and I figure my A+ and Net+ would knock out some classes.

I know I will have some Gen-Ed stuff, for I have not taken Comp 2 or College Algebra or any Civs

And Security+, don't forget that... :) (That's TSV1).

I did transfer a bunch of gen-eds...out of the gen-eds I did have to take, the longest one that took to complete was LAT1...LAT1 is easy, but what makes it hard is you have to make sure all your ducks are lined up in a row. Otherwise, you will have to redo a task. But it's very doable to do though. But all the LXX1 that you have to take for English can be done within one month (more or less--not including LET1...though that seems to be easy itself).
    Question: I am considering starting WGU in January/February.

My concern is that I am currently self studying for the CCENT/CCNA, and I am worried that if I start WGU I will have to put the CCNA on hold due to the WGU work load.

I will not put the CCNA on hold, and if you guys think it will be hard to do WGU + CCNA please let me know, and I will wait till I am done with my CCNA before I start WGU.

Also, the track I am choosing at WGU - NDM does not include CCNA it includes MCITP-EA

Thanks in advanced.

Unless you're taking the Security track, if you're hellbent on doing the CCNA, you will want to knock that out first, and then enroll. Otherwise if you're going to do IT:Security, you'll be going for your CCNA regardless anyway, though I would still advise to obtain it first, if possible and then enroll. Then you'll have more time to work on your other classes and knock a bunch of stuff out.
  • bishunbishun Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello everyone, Let me start off by saying I just found this website/forum, and it looks like a great place for information and discussion. I decided to register specifically because of this thread.

I will be taking my A+ certification tests this Tuesday, both in the same day, as it's pretty much my last chance to take them, and still benefit from the fact that it will be a lifetime cert. I actually wish I would have started/known about this sooner, I would have nabbed the Network+ too.

I was recently motivated to get my A+ because of WGU and the things I'd heard about it, also it's accredited and affordable. :)

As it stands I won't be able to start at WGU until February or so I'm told. I'm on the fence as to which specific program within the IT selections offered I should be enroll in. So, I'm asking for advice and opinions from people in the know. My plan is to get into the networking side of the IT field. I'm currently looking at "Networks Administration", "Networks Design and Management", and "Security".

From my current perspective, the most attractive program appears to be Security, which offers the CCNA. This also seems to gel with what I'd like to end up doing in the long run. However, although I definitely know that the IT field is what I want to pursue, I only have about 2 years of basic PC troubleshooting/repair under my belt for a small company that catered to home users. I -personally- build my own computers, and have no trouble fixing and troubleshooting them myself, and setting up small SOHO networks. The downside is I'm currently unemployed and frantically looking for another entry level help desk/tech support type job so that I can build experience while I'm in school. After all If I graduate with a B.S. in IT and a nice chunk of certs with no real experience to back it up... well it just won't be good.

Sorry to be so long winded, but my core question is, will the Security program at WGU be 'too much too soon' so to speak? With my limited experience in networking, and the corporate IT field am I getting in over my head? Would one of the other programs better suit me? I realize ultimately I get out what I put in, and only I can answer these questions, but it would be great to get some input from someone with experience that is currently enrolled or graduated from WGU.

I should mention that I have some (1.5 years) College already done, and consider myself to be just fine at self study. In reality I've only studied for the A+ for 2.5 weeks (because of my previous PC experience), and am more than confident I will pass.

One last thing about WGU, is the CCNA able to be split up into the ICND1/ICND2? Or is it all or nothing?

Thanks for reading my wall of text!
  • Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    Haven't read the whole thread yet, but am on page 15. just have a few questions

i have recently graduated from a regionally accredited business school with a degree in Finance. realized i didn't want to do finance and started pursuing my IT career. i have attained my A+ and Network+ so far and am aiming to complete Security+ before month's end.

how many credits do you think would be transferable if i were to attend WGU?

for my 4 years of college previously, i recieved financial aid. is there any way i can get financial aid for WGU?

thanks for the help!
    On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
    Scheduled for: Unscheduled
    Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    How much math is involved in the BS:IT NDM course? Least favorite subject in highschool...took the minimum of 2 classes to satisfy graduation. ;)
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
    Haven't read the whole thread yet, but am on page 15. just have a few questions

i have recently graduated from a regionally accredited business school with a degree in Finance. realized i didn't want to do finance and started pursuing my IT career. i have attained my A+ and Network+ so far and am aiming to complete Security+ before month's end.

how many credits do you think would be transferable if i were to attend WGU?

for my 4 years of college previously, i recieved financial aid. is there any way i can get financial aid for WGU?

thanks for the help!

You are starting a new degree program. You won't have to take any general ed courses and would only have to focus on your major ones. You'll be done between 1-2 years, depending on how fast you progress. You're not "transferring" anything...you are going for a second bachelors. (More weight)

Also, since WGU is for all intents and purposes a real school, yes, you will get financial aid, just like in your other college.
    erpadmin wrote: »
    You are starting a new degree program. You won't have to take any general ed courses and would only have to focus on your major ones. You'll be done between 1-2 years, depending on how fast you progress. You're not "transferring" anything...you are going for a second bachelors. (More weight)

Also, since WGU is for all intents and purposes a real school, yes, you will get financial aid, just like in your other college.

good to hear. what do you mean by (More weight)?

and as for financial aid, i received it for 4 years which is the maximum amount of years you can receive it(fafsa/tap). if i stayed in that school for another year, i would have had to pay out of my own pocket.

if i enroll in WGU, would i be able to get financial aid again?

thanks again!
    good to hear. what do you mean by (More weight)?

and as for financial aid, i received it for 4 years which is the maximum amount of years you can receive it(fafsa/tap). if i stayed in that school for another year, i would have had to pay out of my own pocket.

if i enroll in WGU, would i be able to get financial aid again?

thanks again!

If you already have a Bachelors in Finance, then you'd have already had to take gen-eds already...you will only have to take what's required to obtain a BS-IT, or BS-IT:NDM, or whatever emphasis you want. Plus if you already got A+ and Network+, then you already have that to transfer in as well.

While I do work in higher ed, I'm not a financial aid expert (nor would I pretend to be...). You will want to contact the WGU financial aid office (your EC will be useless) and ask them about that...I'd imagine though since you are starting at another institution, you'd be able to get more aid.

I don't know if you have any IT experience, but if you do, you'll want to consider the IT scholarship. Click on the link in my signature for more information. You'll get $600 off of every term if you qualify.
    If you already have a Bachelors in Finance, then you'd have already had to take gen-eds already...you will only have to take what's required to obtain a BS-IT, or BS-IT:NDM, or whatever emphasis you want. Plus if you already got A+ and Network+, then you already have that to transfer in as well.

Well I've looked at the courses required to graduate with BSIT:NDM and I've separated the list into courses i "should" have and courses i'd need.

HAVE

BAC1 Foundations of College Mathematics 2
    BBC1 Communications Foundations 2
    CLC1 Reasoning and Problem Solving 3
    LAE1 Language and Communication: Essay 2
    INC1 Integrated Natural Sciences 4
    LAT1 Language and Communication: Research 2
    AXV1 IT Fundamentals II 4
    TTV1 IT Fundamentals III 3
    LUT1 Language and Communication: Presentation 2
    INT1 Integrated Natural Sciences Applications 4
    GAC1 Finite Mathematics 2
    SSC1 General Education Social Sciences 1
    SST1 General Education Social Sciences: Analysis and Applications 2
    TNV1 Networks I 6
    HHT1 Finite Mathematics Applications 2
    QLT1 Quantitative Literacy: Quantitative Problem Solving and Applications 3
    TSV1 Security I 6
    IWC1 Literature, Arts and the Humanities 2
    LET1 Leadership Concepts and Applications 4
    ORC1 Fundamentals of Organizational Behavior and Leadership 4
    IWT1 Literature, Arts and the Humanities: Analysis and Interpretation 2
    MGC1 Principles of Management 4
    TWA1 Technical Writing 4

Don't HAVE

EWB2 Education Without Boundaries 2
    WFV1 IT Fundamentals I 3
    BOV1 Web Programming 4
    TPV1 Project Management 6
    ABV1 Operating Systems 6
    AHV1 Directory Services 6
    AIV1 Network Design and Management 6
    BHV1 Configuring Applications Infrastructure 6
    BIVI Enterprise Administration 6
    CPW3 IT-Network Design and Management Capstone Project 9

TOTAL= 54 CU needed

does this seem accurate? i know you guys don't know the EXACT credits that are transferable, but a rough estimate should suffice.
    Well I've looked at the courses required to graduate with BSIT:NDM and I've separated the list into courses i "should" have and courses i'd need.

TWA1 Technical Writing 4

WFV1 IT Fundamentals I 3
    BOV1 Web Programming 4
    ABV1 Operating Systems 6

TOTAL= 54 CU needed

does this seem accurate? i know you guys don't know the EXACT credits that are transferable, but a rough estimate should suffice.

I am not sure if you have management courses (maybe you did) but you might have to take those. I'm pretty sure Technical Writing was not in your major (that's different than essay or research writing...you have to know how to write a document geared toward technology). Aside from that, that looks like all you'd need and that would take you no more than a year to do (maybe less :) ). None of us are enrollment counselors...it'll behoove you to contact one and talk to him/her. I believe demonfurbie wanted to refer you so you don't have to pay the $65 (and he the Amazon gift card). I already have mine, and won't need to refer anyone until I believe next November. Otherwise I'd do it too (if no one else does).
  • uhtrinityuhtrinity Member Posts: 138
    I agree with erpadmin. Those are all WGU specific classes (mostly upper division) and I don't think they allow any transfers for those.

Technical writing is actually the proposal for your Capstone, not transferable.

Also add
    to that list
    Technology Coordinator, Computer Lab Instructor, Network Admin
    BS IT Network Administration AAS Electronics / Laser Electro Optics
    uhtrinity wrote: »
    Also add
    to that list

Wouldn't CLC1 match up with a Philosophy 101 course? (assuming SG took that) I know some colleges require it or something like it for "critical thinking..."
  • uhtrinityuhtrinity Member Posts: 138
    Wouldn't CLC1 match up with a Philosophy 101 course? (assuming SG took that) I know some colleges require it or something like it for "critical thinking..."

When I took it it was still a 9 credit course, in two parts and was considered upper division. It was core to what WGU wanted students to learn which is critical thinking. They may have backed off on that idea.
    Technology Coordinator, Computer Lab Instructor, Network Admin
    BS IT Network Administration AAS Electronics / Laser Electro Optics
  • abc2000abc2000 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello I'm new to this and am considering WGU, say i have the following certs MCITP:EA, A+, N+(or CCNA), S+, L+. How many cu would i get knocked out and how many would i have left, I'd like to consider the possibility of grad within a year.
  • Jack2Jack2 Member Posts: 153
    abc2000 wrote: »
    Hello I'm new to this and am considering WGU, say i have the following certs MCITP:EA, A+, N+(or CCNA), S+, L+. How many cu would i get knocked out and how many would i have left, I'd like to consider the possibility of grad within a year.

The MCITP:EA, A+, Sec+ all would count towards the BS in Network design and Management if they are less than 5 years old. Do you also have an A.A. Degree? If so you may me able to complete the remaining classes in short order.icon_study.gif
    WGU Courses Completed at WGU: CPW3, EWB2, WFV1, TEV1, TTV1, AKV1, TNV1| TSV1, LET1, ORC1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CVV1, DHV1, DIV1, DJV1, TXP1, TYP1, CUV1, TXC1, TYC1, CJV1
    Classes Transferred: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1 ,1LC1, 1MC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1, CLC1
    WGU Graduate - BSIT 2014
    I am not sure if you have management courses (maybe you did) but you might have to take those. I'm pretty sure Technical Writing was not in your major (that's different than essay or research writing...you have to know how to write a document geared toward technology). Aside from that, that looks like all you'd need and that would take you no more than a year to do (maybe less :) ). None of us are enrollment counselors...it'll behoove you to contact one and talk to him/her. I believe demonfurbie wanted to refer you so you don't have to pay the $65 (and he the Amazon gift card). I already have mine, and won't need to refer anyone until I believe next November. Otherwise I'd do it too (if no one else does).

These are the classes that i have taken that i think would cover the ones in red.

Fundamentals of Management (also have a more advanced management class)
    Business Policy (maybe cover LET1 or ORC1?)
    Philosophy (intro class)
  • Jack2Jack2 Member Posts: 153

These are the classes that i have taken that i think would cover the ones in red.

Philosophy (intro class)

Those are courses that have to be taken at WGU
    WGU Courses Completed at WGU: CPW3, EWB2, WFV1, TEV1, TTV1, AKV1, TNV1| TSV1, LET1, ORC1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CVV1, DHV1, DIV1, DJV1, TXP1, TYP1, CUV1, TXC1, TYC1, CJV1
    Classes Transferred: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1 ,1LC1, 1MC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1, CLC1
    WGU Graduate - BSIT 2014

Philosophy (intro class)

Philosophy should cover CLC1...I am almost certain but I could be wrong.

WGU may or may not transfer your management classes, though you should certainly bring that up to your enrollment counselor. I think you got your rough estimate.
    Philosophy should cover CLC1...I am almost certain but I could be wrong.

WGU may or may not transfer your management classes, though you should certainly bring that up to your enrollment counselor. I think you got your rough estimate.
    "Prior coursework does not transfer to meet the requirements of this domain."

this was what was written in the program guide. although i'll still bring it up anyway to try to get that covered.

other than that, this looks like a more complete list of what i'd need to graduate.

Don't HAVE

WFV1 IT Fundamentals I 3
    BOV1 Web Programming 4
    ABV1 Operating Systems 6
    IWT1 Literature, Arts and the Humanities: Analysis and Interpretation 2
    TWA1 Technical Writing 4

TOTAL CU= 68

what would be the things i need to apply? i like to have my things in order before i even apply.

thanks
    Um no i dont have, an AA. I hear some people have gotten there certs before and transferred them in as credit. That way they would only have the gen-ed credits to complete.
    abc2000 wrote: »
    Um no i dont have, an AA. I hear some people have gotten there certs before and transferred them in as credit. That way they would only have the gen-ed credits to complete.

you can't ONLY have gen-eds to complete, it would completely devoid the degree of having any worth from WGU. gen eds can be completed anywhere, hence "general education". what separates any college from another is their major courses.

there are also a few more major classes you'd need to take, but yes, your certs will knock quite a few classes out of the way.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Actually you can get certs to knock out all the IT classses EXCEPT for the Tech writing and Capstone. WGU also has the requirement that a certain number of CUs must be completed at WGU in order for you to get a WGU degree.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    earweed wrote: »
    Actually you can get certs to knock out all the IT classses EXCEPT for the Tech writing and Capstone. WGU also has the requirement that a certain number of CUs must be completed at WGU in order for you to get a WGU degree.

from the Program Guide

this is referring to the 3 Management courses. ORC1, MGC1 and LET1

this is for BSIT:NDM btw

if you really want to get all the required certs prior to enrolling, i would think just studying for them before enrolling and then take the course after you've enrolled so it's on the Uni's dime.
    from the Program Guide

this is referring to the 3 Management courses. ORC1, MGC1 and LET1

this is for BSIT:NDM btw

if you really want to get all the required certs prior to enrolling, i would think just studying for them before enrolling and then take the course after you've enrolled so it's on the Uni's dime.

That's certainly possible...but stuff also could come up. Timewise, it does make sense to knock out all the certs before you enroll. In my case, I didn't have the luxury of doing that, because had I waited until I got my MCITP:EA, my A+ and Network+ would not have transferred (I took them exactly 5 years ago). Anything over 5 years (certifications) is not valid (and wouldn't have counted for my scholarship...though the other certs would have...but I would have hated taking what were already lifetime certs again...)

The exact number of credits to take for a WGU is a minimum of 24 CUs. If you're not taking 24 CUs or more, you cannot obtain a WGU degree.

For I believe the third time I write this, you need to talk to an enrollment counselor about what will be good and what won't. All of your Gen-Eds should pretty much be good, but at this point, we're just speculating. You can't get an evaluation done without applying...(even if you did it tomorrow, you can enroll in WGU months down the line...you're not enrolled until you accept AAV...). Just apply (for free...none of this paying $65 nonsense...if you haven't already, go to the WGU Refer-A-Friend thread).

See what they SAY...
    For I believe the third time I write this, you need to talk to an enrollment counselor about what will be good and what won't. All of your Gen-Eds should pretty much be good, but at this point, we're just speculating. You can't get an evaluation done without applying...(even if you did it tomorrow, you can enroll in WGU months down the line...you're not enrolled until you accept AAV...). Just apply (for free...none of this paying $65 nonsense...if you haven't already, go to the WGU Refer-A-Friend thread).

See what they SAY...

i know...i was referring to abc2000s post...
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Actually this isn't the greatest of places to ask about what does transfer as it seems to be a rather subjective process WRT non-IT stuff. When I started WGU gave credit for courses I thought were questionable but no credit for courses which seemed to match up perfectly. Just apply and see how you feel about what transfers before you actually start. You're not "locked in" until you do your first AAV.
    Just make sure if you're planning to take any more Cert tests or college courses that you finish those before your transfer eval as they wont do a second credit transfer eval.
    Don't forget also that WGU is partnered with straighterline where you can also do some geneds before starting if you'd like.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    thats good, thanks for the info. I'm just looking to see if i can shoot for my BS in a year/ year and a half. If i did enroll i would do it after april.
    I was also wondering how you all found the coursework to be? Very challenging? Like the math and sciences lot of problem solving? and english a lot of papers do?
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    earweed wrote: »
    . . .
    Don't forget also that WGU is partnered with straighterline where you can also do some geneds before starting if you'd like.

And try asking about CLEPs/DSSTs for the management stuff. Couldn't hurt.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
    If I apply now, would I have to pay for anything? (assuming I get a refer-a-friend)

Is there any other fee aside from the application? (requesting transcripts and things like that)

I don't plan to start(1-3 months) until I can afford the school out of my own pockets, meaning that I have a job. Are there payment plans or do you have to pay all at once?