Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    I did CLC1 awhile ago but I had to check if I'd hold up the new standard. According to my record I got 78% on it so I would of passed ether way. It really isn't a hard test, just common sense stuff.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I did CLC1 awhile ago but I had to check if I'd hold up the new standard. According to my record I got 78% on it so I would of passed ether way. It really isn't a hard test, just common sense stuff.

I think the only thing they're doing is rasing the cut score. The exam is most likely the same as when you had it. Not worried about it though. :)
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■

The test threw me for a loop recently. The practice is in my opinion easier than the actual test. Just use the Course of Study (COS) and you should be good.
  • JaggedJagged Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Now that I am far enough ahead that the 12CU/67%SAP shouldn't be a worry, I think I am going to just start thinking in terms of courses rather than CUs. The planners must have been smoking crack at times.

This is what got me riled up today:

WSV1 - Web Technologies (CIW Site Designer) - 6 CU: Not required for NETW & NTDM. Looks like a nice overview of web sites and services. Next step above WFV1's web sub-section?

AKV1 - Web Programming (CIW JavaScript Fundamentals) - 3 CU: Required for every IT track. At least it is an objective test rather than code writing, but it is programming.

Now many in IT outside of programmers can go along just fine not knowing the details of JavaScript. But everyone could find a use for an overview of web technologies. And the kicker is that going by CUs, it is twice as hard understand HTML and Flash than understand the JavaScript model.

There is the same problem with LAE1 & LAT1. A simple essay requirement gets the same credit as five requirements for a longer research paper.

Why don't they just employ a CU randomizer to grant 2-6 CUs after you get a pass? Then at least we get the gambling thrill while passing the classes. icon_twisted.gif
    Microsoft: MCSE 4, MCSE 2003 +Security, MSCA 2003 Messaging, MCITP:SA -- Cisco: CCNA
    Novell: CNE 3-6, CLA, CLP, CLE -- Nortel: NCDS, NCSS -- CompTIA: Project+, Server+, Linux+, Security+

Courses Completed at WGU:
    EWB2, BBC1, LAE1, WFV1, SSC1, CLC1, WDV1, MGC1, ORC1, INC1, IWC1
    Courses Required BS - IT: NETW:
    LAT1, LUT1, INT1, SST1, LET1, IWT1, BOV1, TWA1, CPW2
    Classes Transferred:
    BAC1, TEV1, TTV1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, TSV1, TPV1, TNV1, BRV1, ABV1, AHV1, AIV1, AJV1
    Jagged wrote: »
    There is the same problem with LAE1 & LAT1. A simple essay requirement gets the same credit as five requirements for a longer research paper.

Why don't they just employ a CU randomizer to grant 2-6 CUs after you get a pass? Then at least we get the gambling thrill while passing the classes. icon_twisted.gif

No kidding... The CU layout is weird to say the least. I haven't figured out how they decide one class will have X amount of credits VS another. LAT1 should be like 6. But in defense I do think they count the whole domain so its 12 CU for the whole domain. I don't really watch the CU number anymore, just take the dang class and get it done. The CU number has no bearing on how long it will take you to complete.
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I took a course called Leadership and Professionalism LPO1 which was 12 CUs and was basically like the CLC1 you guys are taking now. I took the preassessment and my mentor scheduled me to take the exam. That class I actually studied the 2 weeks between the pre test and the actual test but could have passed without it.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • PilotrebornPilotreborn Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey, Ive read hundreds of pages of techexams forums, and thought id finally make a post. I just wanted to say hey and thank you to everyone and im really looking forward to being active in this forum. There is so much helpful information on this site it is amazing. I will be starting WGU on december first, and Im really looking forward to it. My degree will be for IT:Security.
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For anyone interested....

CLC1 cut scores will remain the same for anyone submitting for assessment before the Nov 1st cut score raise. So as long as your registered on or before the date you will be subject to the old cut score. This was a welcome addition since I couldn't get into any testing centers or online proctoring before Nov 1.
    Has anyone got any tips for HVC1/HVT1? Starting to study for it today and it seems like a lot of work. I took the pre assessment and got 45% so I know some of it. Another one of the classes where it should be 6 CU or more but w/e. Thanks!
    Has anyone got any tips for HVC1/HVT1? Starting to study for it today and it seems like a lot of work. I took the pre assessment and got 45% so I know some of it. Another one of the classes where it should be 6 CU or more but w/e. Thanks!

Ok, had to google those. What degree are you in and when did you start? Under current IT degrees they are IWC1: Literature, Arts and the Humanities & IWT1: L.A.H., Analysis and Interpretation.

Sorry, haven't gotten to those yet. Not my favorite subject (at least being taught it), but I was hoping it would be quick and easy at 2 CU. Guess not.
    Microsoft: MCSE 4, MCSE 2003 +Security, MSCA 2003 Messaging, MCITP:SA -- Cisco: CCNA
    Novell: CNE 3-6, CLA, CLP, CLE -- Nortel: NCDS, NCSS -- CompTIA: Project+, Server+, Linux+, Security+

Classes Transferred:
    BAC1, TEV1, TTV1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, TSV1, TPV1, TNV1, BRV1, ABV1, AHV1, AIV1, AJV1
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Anyone receive a survey invite from the school prez?
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    petedude wrote: »
    Anyone receive a survey invite from the school prez?

Yup, I left mostly positive comments. Unfortunately for the Bursars office they got low marks... icon_wink.gif
    I still haven't done mine. If there are marks for how well the portal works (availability) those marks will definitely be low as I have tropuble logging on quite often.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    eansdad wrote: »
    For anyone interested....

CLC1 cut scores will remain the same for anyone submitting for assessment before the Nov 1st cut score raise. So as long as your registered on or before the date you will be subject to the old cut score. This was a welcome addition since I couldn't get into any testing centers or online proctoring before Nov 1.

This is correct. I got an e-mail from the course mentor stating exactly that. But I will add that you would have had to have your mentor APPROVE the assessment before Nov. 1. If it's Nov. 1 or after, you get to be 70%. I will have the 58% cut score. :D

This does take some of the stress out, even though I'll probably be around or higher than that score anyway. I almost want to put CLC up in the completed list already....lol :). (I won't.... :D )
  • Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    This is correct. I got an e-mail from the course mentor stating exactly that. But I will add that you would have had to have your mentor APPROVE the assessment before Nov. 1. If it's Nov. 1 or after, you get to be 70%. I will have the 58% cut score. :D

This does take some of the stress out, even though I'll probably be around or higher than that score anyway. I almost want to put CLC up in the completed list already....lol :). (I won't.... :D )

Congrats in advance. I scored 84% on the pre-assessment, but I bombed some of the element questions. I have the exam scheduled, but I can't take it for a few days (wish OLP was faster, but it's still pretty convenient). Hopefully I'll be able to put this in the win column soon as well.
  • RoadwarriorsLiveRoadwarriorsLive Member Posts: 104
    While I dont really mind reading this stuff I have to say this is alot of reading for just 3 CU's. The tasks are not a slam dunk either.

I am just venting here since I am really having trouble with this paper.

I am working on task one and trying to get through all the material. I have to say the Geographaphy book is REALLY tough to read in the online reader. You cant get it to display the whole page of text without making it too small to read comfortably. I broke down last night and ordered the book from ABE's. I can usually at least print it out in a PDF but this one wont let you.

If you have these courses on your schedule I suggest you save yourself some pain and just order the Geography book it will make your life so much easier.

On a side note I take my first online exam today. Its short since it's the QMC1 class so it should not be a problem but I still have my fingers crossed.
    WGU Graduate - Bachelors of Science: Information Technology Security

Started MS ISA on April 1st
  • jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    I finished up ORC1 today. I didn't get as high of a score as I would like, but a pass is a pass. Now I am off to LET1 and back to Taskstream...I can't wait! icon_rolleyes.gif
    WGU grad
    While I dont really mind reading this stuff I have to say this is alot of reading for just 3 CU's. The tasks are not a slam dunk either.

I am just venting here since I am really having trouble with this paper.

I am working on task one and trying to get through all the material. I have to say the Geographaphy book is REALLY tough to read in the online reader. You cant get it to display the whole page of text without making it too small to read comfortably. I broke down last night and ordered the book from ABE's. I can usually at least print it out in a PDF but this one wont let you.

If you have these courses on your schedule I suggest you save yourself some pain and just order the Geography book it will make your life so much easier.

On a side note I take my first online exam today. Its short since it's the QMC1 class so it should not be a problem but I still have my fingers crossed.

If you (or anyone else) have any problems with papers, feel free to PM me. I believe my sociology and/or anthropology courses I took back in college were the ones that satisfied thoses classes. (They were both A's...in fact for anthro, out of about 20 kids, there were only 2 who did not have to take the final because they maintained an A average throughout the course [I was one of those two... :D ] ). History is also a favorite of mine, as well as current events. :) Anything that involves reading and writing, I'm very comfortable with (even with crappy LAT1...they made that more complicated than it needed to be).

I am personally going through some stuff right now (an ongoing personal matter involving my house and an electrical fire [everyone is ok, thank God...now I have to deal with insurance...]), but I'm not going to be terribly unavailable so if it's something I can advise on, I can do that. :)

Good luck on your exam. :)
    Excellent1 wrote: »
    Congrats in advance. I scored 84% on the pre-assessment, but I bombed some of the element questions. I have the exam scheduled, but I can't take it for a few days (wish OLP was faster, but it's still pretty convenient). Hopefully I'll be able to put this in the win column soon as well.

I did the pre-assessment blind and got 75%. Just went through the first section on MindEdge and tested the same at 75% on the real test.

Surprised I got the test in so quickly. My mentor was thinking it was test by the 31st. I submitted Thursday morning and selected "at Prometric center" with a comment wishing for Saturday. Got his approval that afternoon, then the scheduled e-mail mid-Friday. I guess it helped that my preferred test center was having a slow weekend and all time slots were open.

Classes Transferred:
  • jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    For those of you who have done LET1 do the Taskstream graders seem to take longer than some of the other classes? When I did LAT1 I usually had a turn around time of max 8 hours. My first LET1 assignment it has been over 24 hours.
    WGU grad
  • ThxlbxThxlbx Member Posts: 105
    Started today.....and finished my first class today! Got started on EWB around 7 pm and just finished up a little bit ago. Took about 5.5 hours...I just got on a roll and kept going. I talked to my mentor today, she seems pretty cool (i have Megan), and went ahead and scheduled my AAP and my AAV call for Thursday...she said she had no problem combining the two if I thought I would be done with EWB by then so we could get the IT classes going. I am excited, want to start another class!
    WGU B.S.IT - Security
    Currently Enrolled:
    LET1, INC1, INT1
    Courses Completed:
    EWB2, TEV1, TTV1, CLC1, TSV1,WFV1,ORC1
    Courses Transferred:
    BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LVT1, QLC1, SSC1, SST1, QMC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1
    Courses needed:

BGV1, AKV1, GTT1, MGC1, WDV1, TPV1, GUT1, ABV1, TWA1, CPW4, BLV1
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thxlbx wrote: »
    Started today.....and finished my first class today! Got started on EWB around 7 pm and just finished up a little bit ago. Took about 5.5 hours...I just got on a roll and kept going. I talked to my mentor today, she seems pretty cool (i have Megan), and went ahead and scheduled my AAP and my AAV call for Thursday...she said she had no problem combining the two if I thought I would be done with EWB by then so we could get the IT classes going. I am excited, want to start another class!

Welcome to the club.

Oh, I managed to take my CLC1 exam saturday to take it before the cut, but got 84% anyway so it didn't matter.

I'm on to QLT1, my last class for this semester (and so far only a month in). I'm bad at math so this one is going to suck. But the performance assessments means I can complete all of the goals on my time and in whatever I deem best. Which is nice. Also I had a chat with the course mentor, and she sent me a ton of helpful things.

Hopefully I can get this done ASAP and get started on my next semester. Every other semester I do during my current knocks 6 months off my graduation date... gotta make that happen as much as I can!
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • greatthingsgreatthings Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Can use someone as a refrence to forgo the Admission cost. Also wanted to know if anyone has ever recieved a refund from fin. aid
    75% on the real mccoy. In truth, my heart wasn't in it...I have an appointment with one my contractor to get estimates for my burned down house....I could have rescheduled, but I knew I'd get the "W" and I just wanted to reschedule...I guess I have to thank magicone yet again, because I would have easily taken this next term instead of now.

Now, I will just focus on 70-642...as I have been. This class was just treated like BBC1....just show up, answer questions, and pass. I did want to deal with mindedge and brush up on what I didn't know, but that would have been a waste of time, apparently.

Chalk another one up for the good guys!! Well I gotta run....right after I deal with siggie! :D

EDIT: (No point in putting another post).....

I was in a hurry to meet out with a contractor to deal with my house...so I didn't edit my sig until I remembered. I just wanted to say a couple of things about OLP.

I didn't get to take the exam until about 2 hours. Somehow, there is something on my XP box that is preventing me from connecting to their media server. My Server 2008 R2 box did not have an issue, though it was terribly inconvenient. But the Kypterion (or whatever) tech support is friggin useless. They knew the problem was on my end, but could not tell me why. Thankfully I had access to another box, or I would have been extremely mad. But it caused me to be late to meet my contractor. In any event, that's it for this term, until/unless I can get my MCTS via 70-642 (AIV1). 22 CUs is pretty respectable. Maybe it'll be 28, but who knows. I know I could do AKV1 and or TPV1 now if I wanted, but I want to dedicate time to an MS exam.

I think, maybe, the key is to not think in terms of CUs, but in classes as someone else had mentioned earlier. If I can knock out three classes a month, in theory, I could very well be a college graduate and have a nice break on my auto insurance. LMAO. :) It's all going to depend on how I deal with the MS exams. I gotta get back on the horse with that soon, as I did have an emergency, but we should be ok, hopefully.

I am liking how my courses required is getting less and less though. :) 18 out of 33 classes...I'm loving the progress! :D
    Can use someone as a refrence to forgo the Admission cost. Also wanted to know if anyone has ever recieved a refund from fin. aid

There is another thread for the referrals: http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/55634-wgu-refer-friend-thread-those-seeking-referral-4.html

As for the refund, do you mean money back after tuition is covered? If so, I have. For first time students there is a 30-day delay on the first payment and a requirement for EWB, AAV, and some CUs (3?). They subtract the total 6-month tuition from your F.A. award then pay out half the difference then and the other half at the 3-month mark.

You should get set up for Direct Deposit as soon as you can (I think they send out an e-mail on your options). They are quick for payment when due.

Classes Transferred:
    I'm actually looking forward to HVT1!!! The 2nd task is a 25-30 slide presentation on 3 works. 2 have to be you choice and nonliterary. I'm choosing Office space and the song in the movie. This thing is going to be epic!!
  • never2latenever2late Member Posts: 122
    Hey Everyone,

Been a while since I posted but have kept up with many of you progressing through WGU. I just finished INC1 and passed the test. This gives me 21 credit units since August 1. I'm on track to meet my goal of 30+ for the first six months. icon_cheers.gif

This was my first experience with the OLP and it was anti-climatic. No correspondence with the observer and it was very uneventful. Well, except for my dog Daisy demanding attention as I was taking the test. She gets very antsy when its close to dinnertime.

Now to continue on with BGV1. I hope to have it done by months end.
    Everyone keep up the good work and I'll check in later. Its martini time for me (after I feed Daisy, of course). icon_razz.gif
  • RoadwarriorsLiveRoadwarriorsLive Member Posts: 104
    Just took the test and passed. Finished taskstream earlier in the week.

Well that makes it 17 down and 17 to go counting the classes they let me transfer in.

On to more gen ed. Going to try and tackle my 2 science courses next. I am sure I wil be back complainging in a day or 2.
    WGU Graduate - Bachelors of Science: Information Technology Security

Started MS ISA on April 1st
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Passed CLC1 to finish up my 12 cu's for the semester. Trying to get 30 done a semester (or 11 classes) so I can finish by next Dec. On to QMC1 and WFV1 next week with QLT1 hopfully getting done inbetween. This 10 day wait for OLP is killing me on some of these classes.

On a side note...

I want to get a MCITP:SA even though the security track doesn't have it. I should be able to pass with little effort. Should I continue to do Gen Ed classes and take the MCITP:SA exams or should I start on some of the certs for my trak? I feel I'm being passed up for better jobs based on the fact that I have 0 certs and no degree even tough I have 13 years in the field including admin experience.
    I doubt if the certs will really help you in getting better jobs but the lack of a degree may be holding you back. WFV1 should be a breeze for you with that much experience.
    The MCITP:SA is only 3 tests but I still think it'd benefit you more working on the classes. Try to fit it in if you can but don't sweat it too much.