Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    How is your understanding of Server 2008? It is referenced for the 70-680. It may be beneficial to look at the server exams first if you are not familiar. I am working on the 70-680 right now and it is no walk in the park. Also, one other thing to note is that the Server 2008 R2 books (which is what is tested on) start coming out in April or so.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    How is your understanding of Server 2008? It is referenced for the 70-680. It may be beneficial to look at the server exams first if you are not familiar. I am working on the 70-680 right now and it is no walk in the park. Also, one other thing to note is that the Server 2008 R2 books (which is what is tested on) start coming out in April or so.

Yeah I read about that too. I'm going to contact MS Press to see if I can get a credit for those, as I have not even removed the shrinkwrap packaging for the original 2008 training kit. I bought them in September, but I couldn't bring myself to open it. I'm hoping I'm successful. Otherwise, I'm gonna have to see if I can pawn them on eBay.
  • Options
    simtechsimtech Member Posts: 213
    Hypntick wrote: »
    Well 70-680 seems the more obvious choice. However it all depends on what you want to do really. I would think 70-640 would be where I would go. Then again you have to look at what will help you right now in terms of real world. Thus why i'm taking CCENT in my first 12 CU as it will help me right now more than anything else.

I'm okay either way in real world since I'm transitioning into IT field.
    Those are the classes left to take, plus Technical Writing and Capstone. Between 70-680 and 70-640, which one is easier.
  • Options

I have no experience with Server. Are you suggesting to take 70-642 first?
  • Options
    shecklersheckler Member Posts: 201
    For some reason I really have the urge to switch to a track without the MCITP exams. I just don't seem to have any interest in studying for them.
  • Options
    simtech wrote: »

If you have no experience with Server, then you should start with 70-640 and work your way sequentially leaving the 70-680 last. OR, start the Windows 7 exam first then do the Server exams.

I plan on leaving 70-680 dead last and start my MS adventure with 70-642 then the 640 and then follow the sequence that way...I've been busy with work to finish off INT1 though, but I'm hoping to get that done by this weekend. It's looking like April I'll start the MS stuff, though maybe sooner.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    simtech wrote: »
    I think that with no prior server exposure the 640 should come first. Subnetting is such a minor part of the 642 as to not really be a consideration. People with prior server experience may want to take the 642 first due to the overlap of the DNS study area in both tests. With no prior server exposure I'd recommend taking the 640 first to get exposure to AD.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    You could probably get by the 70-680 first without the server exams, but the 70-680 includes server technologies (Deployment, BranchCache, Group Policy, Active Directory). At the very least get yourself a copy of Server 2008 R2 and add it to your VM and play around with it setting up a domain etc. Everyone learns different though so it is ultimately your call.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    I got my 4GB Flash Drive last night!! You do in fact get the flash drive when completing 100% SAP in the first term.

It's on my keys now....very sweet deal.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I got my 4GB Flash Drive last night!! You do in fact get the flash drive when completing 100% SAP in the first term.

It's on my keys now....very sweet deal.

I think the one I got was only 2GB :: snif :: I'll have to go back and check.

Still a little bummed about not getting a welcome kit, though. icon_sad.gif
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    petedude wrote: »
    I think the one I got was only 2GB :: snif :: I'll have to go back and check.

Still a little bummed about not getting a welcome kit, though. icon_sad.gif

Welcome kit? Heck I haven't gotten anything aside from a call from my mentor saying she can't make our call this week due to personal issues. Still have not heard back from BBC1 or BAC1 about the questions I asked and no webcam. This whole getting started thing is starting to kind of annoy me a bit. As my mentor will be unavailable I doubt i'll be able to schedule to the 2 assessments i'm ready for when I do get my webcam, nor will I be able to set up pre-assessments for the other 2 classes I am taking this term. Hopefully things take a turn for the better soon.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    Hypntick wrote: »
    Welcome kit? Heck I haven't gotten anything aside from a call from my mentor saying she can't make our call this week due to personal issues. Still have not heard back from BBC1 or BAC1 about the questions I asked and no webcam. This whole getting started thing is starting to kind of annoy me a bit. As my mentor will be unavailable I doubt i'll be able to schedule to the 2 assessments i'm ready for when I do get my webcam, nor will I be able to set up pre-assessments for the other 2 classes I am taking this term. Hopefully things take a turn for the better soon.

I can't stress this enough....if you are having problems and your mentor is not giving you what you need in a timeframe you want that is (to you) satisfactory, contact Student Services. Your situation is exactly why they exist. Yes your mentor is supposed to be your primary contact, but there are times (for example on a weekend) when your mentor is not available. Then Student Services picks up the slack. In the few times I've called Student Services, they have been nothing but extremely helpful (giving me a preassessment for QLC1, hooking up tasks for LET1 as it exists in Taskstream, approving something because mentor is not available....etc., etc.).

Call them now and explain your problems! (Really...) They are there to help.
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    I think that with no prior server exposure the 640 should come first. Subnetting is such a minor part of the 642 as to not really be a consideration. People with prior server experience may want to take the 642 first due to the overlap of the DNS study area in both tests. With no prior server exposure I'd recommend taking the 640 first to get exposure to AD.

I'm going to check out 640 and 680 books. Thanks, Everyone
  • Options
    Lemonade727Lemonade727 Member Posts: 177
    WFV1 scheduled for tomorrow morning and I got my webcam in last night so I submitted the times to schedule the OLP for my BAC1 next week. 4/6 courses in 2 weeks, should be able to finish out the BBC1 and SSC1 pretty quickly as well although I am going to need to study for the SSC1.
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Finished! I'm a graduate now!
    Classes Transferred:
    AKV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, CLC1
  • Options
    PishofPishof Member Posts: 193
    Scored a 98% on the labsim practice certification test after running through the practice tests for each section. I did fully complete the cryptography sections and will do once more before sitting the exam.

I've also finished and have been reviewing on Darril's book so I feel confident sitting for the exam. My mentor had me request a voucher and will sit the exam first chance I get.

My mentor only initially signed me up for TSV1 and LET1 but I just had him add WFV1 so I can finish that while waiting for the leadership book to be available online later.

I'm still on schedule and hoping to have TSV1 and WFV1 finished within two weeks and well on my way with LET1 once I have access to the book to clear EWB2, TSV1, WFV1, and LET1 this month.
    Courses Left for WGU BS - IT: NA:
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
  • Options
    WFV1 scheduled for tomorrow morning and I got my webcam in last night so I submitted the times to schedule the OLP for my BAC1 next week. 4/6 courses in 2 weeks, should be able to finish out the BBC1 and SSC1 pretty quickly as well although I am going to need to study for the SSC1.

You're moving quickly sir. Have CLC1 scheduled for next Thursday, will probably schedule BBC1 for Friday. I'm going to ignore BAC1 for the time being and go back to my CCENT studies. As I was almost done with the CBTs for it and just starting the book. Took the first practice test on ucertify and hit just above a passing score. Give me a few more weeks of good solid study on it and i'll be good to go.
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    I wish everyone luck. It's weird sitting here a year after I started reading about all the new people starting. I'm so close to finishing yet so far away. I have 4 of the biggest classes left - CCNA, CCNA Security and the 2 finals. Plus I still need to finish the 70-680. One more term... Hopefully. But my mentor said if I need to do another term and finish early they will prorate the tuition. So if I need an extra month it won't be too bad.

Good luck!
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I wish everyone luck. It's weird sitting here a year after I started reading about all the new people starting. I'm so close to finishing yet so far away. I have 4 of the biggest classes left - CCNA, CCNA Security and the 2 finals. Plus I still need to finish the 70-680. One more term... Hopefully. But my mentor said if I need to do another term and finish early they will prorate the tuition. So if I need an extra month it won't be too bad.

Good luck!

Well that is something new! :)
  • Options

Good luck!

Hmmm....I might be looking into that as well.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Hmmm....I might be looking into that as well.

I'm probably going to be going that route with 5 courses left to cover.

They've been doing the prorate thing for a while, but they've been quiet about it. I remember reading about it in the Handbook last year when I signed up.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    Lemonade727Lemonade727 Member Posts: 177
    Just got back from finishing the CIW Foundations exam. Now I see why most were saying it's one you really can just sit it and forget it. With the question layout I'm sure I could have still ended up grabbing a passing score even without studying HTML/XHTML, but I'm glad I did so I didn't end up closer to the cut score. Another course down, and BAC1 is ready for next weekend!
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Finished! I'm a graduate now!
    Classes Transferred:
    AKV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, CLC1
  • Options
    Just got back from finishing the CIW Foundations exam. Now I see why most were saying it's one you really can just sit it and forget it. With the question layout I'm sure I could have still ended up grabbing a passing score even without studying HTML/XHTML, but I'm glad I did so I didn't end up closer to the cut score. Another course down, and BAC1 is ready for next weekend!

Congrats on the pass sir. I figured you wouldn't have any problems with it.
  • Options
    Just handed in my RINT1 Powerpoint for INT1. Not sure how it will be as I am not used to this type of format. Writing the Powerpoint was simple enough (with 2007, anyway) but I hope I wrote enough that will satisfy the grader. I'm just going to worry about RINT2 and other stuff. I already know what I'm going to do for my experiment, but I'm gonna wait until I at least finish RINT2. I am just glad I handed in something...whatever the graders have issue with, I can make it work on the second attempt.
  • Options
    Had to reschedule my 647 test due to starting new job. Unless I have a really good supervisor who will give me time off for a test I'll have to travel to Atlanta to take it on a Saturday. It's about a 7 hour drive. That's the nearest testing center that tests on Saturday.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    earweed wrote: »
    Had to reschedule my 647 test due to starting new job. Unless I have a really good supervisor who will give me time off for a test I'll have to travel to Atlanta to take it on a Saturday. It's about a 7 hour drive. That's the nearest testing center that tests on Saturday.

your in alabama right?

Millbrook Office Support

tests on sat and its near montgomery .. it could be closer than atlanta
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    your in alabama right?

Millbrook Office Support

tests on sat and its near montgomery .. it could be closer than atlanta
    +1 rep for that. I didn't even check that location. Thanks
    I used to be north of Birmingham but moved to Mobile last week.
  • Options
    also look in pensacola its like an hour away from mobile and there are 3 or 4 testing centers there

not sure about sat but ya may get lucky
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    Pass JavaScript today. Not a lot of coding question like VCampus. Just some odd tricky ones. Got 82%. Now to kick my butt and get 70-680 into the pass column.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Options
    Congrats, was it akv1 ?

I'm putting off all ms classes till I can do them back to back and setup a lab
  • Options
    also look in pensacola its like an hour away from mobile and there are 3 or 4 testing centers there

not sure about sat but ya may get lucky
    I checked and theres a prometric (with saturday testing) outside of New Orleans which will be closer. Pensacola has no openings.