Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    Finally passed the dreaded 70-680 today. I just gave up and went at it just to pass it. Studied practice test, read up on the questions I know I misses, etc. Not to say I didn't learn anything, I did - a lot. But unless you work with Windows 7 everyday and work with deployment, you have little chance of passing it. Even labbing can't get you the answer for some of the questions on the test. 8 classes to go!
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Finally passed the dreaded 70-680 today. I just gave up and went at it just to pass it. Studied practice test, read up on the questions I know I misses, etc. Not to say I didn't learn anything, I did - a lot. But unless you work with Windows 7 everyday and work with deployment, you have little chance of passing it. Even labbing can't get you the answer for some of the questions on the test. 8 classes to go!

CONGRATS!!! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Lemonade727Lemonade727 Member Posts: 177

Awesome job, congrats! It's a tough one alright.

We just started deploying Win7 on all of our new machines here at work after I finished my exam, so some of the things I found out could have came in handy and helped drill the information in a bit prior to the exam but I still netted a past.
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Finished! I'm a graduate now!
    Classes Transferred:
    AKV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, CLC1
  • Options
    PilotrebornPilotreborn Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What do you guys think about post graduate certificates to help beef up your resume and knowledge base. As opposed to going on for a full masters degree.

I was also looking at applying for this post WGU graduation and going for a post graduate certificate in Information Security and Assurance.

http://www.capitol-college.edu/files/file/PDFs/ATTACHMENT%20C%20Scholarship%20and%20Vacancy%20Announcement%202011%20.pdf

And they would pay for the schooling for the certificate or masters degree and give me a hefty stipend AND I would get my secret/top secret clearance and a government job.

Also is WGU trying to get on this list of schools to qualify, or where are they in that process if anyone knows?

Centers of Academic Excellence - Institutions - NSA/CSS

Any input would be appreciated, thanks.
  • Options
    518518 Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What do you guys think about post graduate certificates to help beef up your resume and knowledge base. As opposed to going on for a full masters degree.

I was also looking at applying for this post WGU graduation and going for a post graduate certificate in Information Security and Assurance.

http://www.capitol-college.edu/files/file/PDFs/ATTACHMENT%20C%20Scholarship%20and%20Vacancy%20Announcement%202011%20.pdf

And they would pay for the schooling for the certificate or masters degree and give me a hefty stipend AND I would get my secret/top secret clearance and a government job.

Also is WGU trying to get on this list of schools to qualify, or where are they in that process if anyone knows?

I read somewhere in this board that WGU is in the process of obtaining the NSA/CSS.

Never heard of the Information Assurance Scholarship Program (IASP) until now, thanks for the heads-up.

Looking to start my MS ISA this November.
  • Options
    518 wrote: »
    I read somewhere in this board that WGU is in the process of obtaining the NSA/CSS.

Never heard of the Information Assurance Scholarship Program (IASP) until now, thanks for the heads-up.

Looking to start my MS ISA this November.

Are you doing your MS ISA through WGU, or somewhere else? What made you decide to go with WGU if so? And yea I just found that schorlaship today and it sounds like an amazing deal.
  • Options
    518518 Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Are you doing your MS ISA through WGU, or somewhere else? What made you decide to go with WGU if so? And yea I just found that schorlaship today and it sounds like an amazing deal.

Yes, I plan on attending WGU ISA.

Why WGU?
    -Inexpensive
    -Get additional IT certs while earning a graduate degree
    -Transfer credit for IT certs

Indeed, the scholarship seems like a win/win situation. I dont mind working for a DoD agency again, my active-duty service will carry over towards retirement. :)
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471

Congrats on getting that one done magic. I have this gem coming up on April 6th. I have been studying Don Poulton's book, the MS press book, Labsim, and the Professor Messor videos. I have also bought the UCertify practice exams. I hope it is enough. I am certainly sick of studying for it.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Turned in TWA1 and got. . . 3.94 out of 4!
    Well written and a pleasure to read. The need for the project is well established. . .

Now I gotta get it scheduled and done. Thankfully, the eval included some suggestions for things to include in the Capstone paperwork as my proposal was a little on the short side.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    petedude wrote: »
    Turned in TWA1 and got. . . 3.94 out of 4!

Now I gotta get it scheduled and done. Thankfully, the eval included some suggestions for things to include in the Capstone paperwork as my proposal was a little on the short side.

GOOD JOB, BROTHER!!!

Very well done! icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good job.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    Gratz! I still haven't figured out what in the world I'm going to do for my proposal and capstone. I've never done any projects nor any experience in the real world.
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Just got my box of WGU swag. May actually put my window cling in my car.

On a completely unrelated note, I have broken out of the help desk! Just got an offer with a managed service provider. Small shop, maybe 15-20 people tops, the interviews went great and every lament I had about corporate help desk work was addressed.

Three months getting to know their clients and processes and getting up to speed, then field engineer. On site work setting up servers, networks, workstations and just about everything else you can think of. They are a Cisco and MS partner so certs and training are provided and highly encouraged.

It's going to be super fast paced and a lot to take in, but it's going to make me a much stronger IT professional in the long run. icon_cheers.gif
    Now, back to CCENT studies. icon_study.gif
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    Hypntick wrote: »
    Just got my box of WGU swag. May actually put my window cling in my car.

Wow...it took me a WHILE to get my WGU swag! I enjoy my coffee mug though.
    On a completely unrelated note, I have broken out of the help desk! Just got an offer with a managed service provider. Small shop, maybe 15-20 people tops, the interviews went great and every lament I had about corporate help desk work was addressed.

Three months getting to know their clients and processes and getting up to speed, then field engineer. On site work setting up servers, networks, workstations and just about everything else you can think of. They are a Cisco and MS partner so certs and training are provided and highly encouraged.

Wow, congratulations!! My friend you are well on your way! Learn EVERYTHING you possibly can on the job and don't focus on the money. Focus on getting time in on the network side if that's what you want to do. The money will come later.

If you got a raise out of this, SAVE a good chunk of it. When you get hit with layoffs, you'll be glad you did.
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□

ACADEMIC SUFFICIENCY
    Your school must recommend you for scholarship. The CAE shall review the application materials, and conduct such verification as may be necessary to establish the following standards of academic sufficiency. CAEs shall exclude from further evaluation (and provide an endorsement of “Not Recommended” for) any applicant unable to meet the following academic requirements:
    a. The applicant is pursuing a course of study and/or has a declared major in one of the scientific, technical or managerial disciplines related to computer and network security that are enumerated under Section 4.E. above.
    b. As an undergraduate student, the applicant has a 3.2 out of a 4.0 grade point average (GPA) or, as a graduate student, the applicant has a 3.5 GPA out of 4.0, or an analogous rank based on a comparable scale.
    c. The applicant’s demonstrated potential for academic success and fulfillment of degree requirements is substantial. CAEs shall review the factors enumerated below, and shall exclude from further evaluation and not recommend any candidate unable to achieve a minimum score of 2 points on a 5-point scale. Scale values range from Insufficient Potential (One), Sufficient Potential (Two), Average Potential (Three), High Potential (Four), and Superior Potential (Five). Factors to be considered in arriving at the rating for “demonstrated potential” are:
    • The applicant’s original transcript(s) from all institutions of higher education attended
    • The applicant’s current Grade Point Average (GPA)
    Academic honors, distinctions and awards
    • Letters of reference

If I remember correctly these are government standards for the scholarship so I am not sure what WGU would/could do in place of them (We have/had a hard time with this for the proposed WGU honor society also). When I was looking at schools UAT had 2 scholarship winners for this.

Also WGU just missed getting their CAE for the MSIA last year and resubmitted again this year. We will find out in June if they got it or not. I hope they get it as I would like to finish a Masters Degree at WGU.
  • Options
    eansdad wrote: »
    ACADEMIC SUFFICIENCY
    Your school must recommend you for scholarship. The CAE shall review the application materials, and conduct such verification as may be necessary to establish the following standards of academic sufficiency. CAEs shall exclude from further evaluation (and provide an endorsement of “Not Recommended” for) any applicant unable to meet the following academic requirements:
    a. The applicant is pursuing a course of study and/or has a declared major in one of the scientific, technical or managerial disciplines related to computer and network security that are enumerated under Section 4.E. above.
    b. As an undergraduate student, the applicant has a 3.2 out of a 4.0 grade point average (GPA) or, as a graduate student, the applicant has a 3.5 GPA out of 4.0, or an analogous rank based on a comparable scale.
    c. The applicant’s demonstrated potential for academic success and fulfillment of degree requirements is substantial. CAEs shall review the factors enumerated below, and shall exclude from further evaluation and not recommend any candidate unable to achieve a minimum score of 2 points on a 5-point scale. Scale values range from Insufficient Potential (One), Sufficient Potential (Two), Average Potential (Three), High Potential (Four), and Superior Potential (Five). Factors to be considered in arriving at the rating for “demonstrated potential” are:
    • The applicant’s original transcript(s) from all institutions of higher education attended
    • The applicant’s current Grade Point Average (GPA)
    Academic honors, distinctions and awards
    • Letters of reference

If I remember correctly these are government standards for the scholarship so I am not sure what WGU would/could do in place of them (We have/had a hard time with this for the proposed WGU honor society also). When I was looking at schools UAT had 2 scholarship winners for this.

Also WGU just missed getting their CAE for the MSIA last year and resubmitted again this year. We will find out in June if they got it or not. I hope they get it as I would like to finish a Masters Degree at WGU.

Yea I agree, I feel like the statement "or an analogous rank based on a comparable scale." was put in there for a reason though. And WGU should/hopefully will fall into that category.

I am also hoping that WGU will get the accreditation this year too, I emailed my menotr to try to get some more info on the progress they are making with that.

Other than qualifying for that scholarship what other benefits are there to the school you attending haveing the CAE? Does it just make it more prestigious? Or is there some other benefit to it as well?

Regards,
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Wow...it took me a WHILE to get my WGU swag! I enjoy my coffee mug though.

:)

:: snif ::

I didn't get any swag until the flash drive.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    Just finished my first OLP session by taking the BAC1 assessment. I definitely enjoyed being able to just wake up and go sit for the exam without having to go through the hassle of getting completely ready and driving to a testing site. They did however stop my exam part-way through though, around question 20. They said the lighting was too bright, but I'm not sure why it took that long for them to mention it as it was based on my ceiling light which didn't change brightness at all since the start (and looked perfectly fine before the exam when I was setting up the camera). All-in-all not too bad of an experience though, but hopefully I don't take too long on any of my assessments as it may get uncomfortable at times.

Regarding the BAC1, I was glad to see that the final assessment questions were laid out exactly like the practice questions in the unit exams from the learning resources (they even went in the same order that the units were laid out in). So anyone (Hypntick especially) that's not fond of math, if you're comfortable with the unit practice tests then you are more than ready for the real thing.

Now it's just time to wait for my BBC1 assessment next weekend, and study for the SSC1 and the tasks for SST1 alongside it. Once I finish the SSC1 that'll be my 12CU's so I'll enroll in the SST1 to turn in the tasks and then start working on other courses. Just trying to decide if I should do the Project+ first before the management courses or if the management course material is more "entry-level" which would make it logical to complete before the Project+ to help out.
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Classes Transferred:
  • Options
    Just trying to decide if I should do the Project+ first before the management courses or if the management course material is more "entry-level" which would make it logical to complete before the Project+ to help out.

Thats the same boat I am in now, Im taking the 2 management/leadership courses and project+ before the end of my term whish is roughly 2 and a half months.

I think im going to do the management courses first, Ill do the one that requires 4 papers and just sit down and knock that class out in a few days to 1 week + time for taskstream to grade. Then study a tad and take the class that is just the test which is a 51% pass score btw (flip a coin). Then cram for project + and take that. I will end up with 28Cu's completed for my first term which is right at my goal I set for myself. ;)
  • Options
    Now it's just time to wait for my BBC1 assessment next weekend, and study for the SSC1 and the tasks for SST1 alongside it. Once I finish the SSC1 that'll be my 12CU's so I'll enroll in the SST1 to turn in the tasks and then start working on other courses. Just trying to decide if I should do the Project+ first before the management courses or if the management course material is more "entry-level" which would make it logical to complete before the Project+ to help out.

I can understand the confusion, as you don't get credit for EWB until after the first month of your term on AAP, but judging by what you've completed thus far, you will have 12 CUs upon completion of BBC1, which puts you at completing 12 CUs in your first month of your term. (EWB does count toward the CU requirement...you just don't get credit for it until after the first month of your first term.)

As for Project+, I found it easier with time to just do that one first and then the management classes later. Don't take Project+ lightly, but don't be afraid of it either. It's boring, it's a good way to sleep after if you're having problems sleeping, but the PK0-003 guide is doable to get through, especially if you want to take it once and pass. Once that's over, then, yes spend some time with the management courses. I spent my entire dead time month working on those three so that my first week of new term, I was done with my 12 CUs...lol. It looks like it took me a week to do them, but it was more like 3-4 weeks prior to beginning of next term.
  • Options
    Yea I agree, I feel like the statement "or an analogous rank based on a comparable scale." was put in there for a reason though. And WGU should/hopefully will fall into that category.

Regards,

It's worth taking a shot, but I think WGU's standard 3.0 grading system is going to affect people going into programs this picky unless there are other type of fluff available to put in the application (e.g. GRE/GMAT scores, letters of reference, etc.).
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i just took the pre-assessment for INC1

man those questions are all over the place
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    I can understand the confusion, as you don't get credit for EWB until after the first month of your term on AAP, but judging by what you've completed thus far, you will have 12 CUs upon completion of BBC1, which puts you at completing 12 CUs in your first month of your term. (EWB does count toward the CU requirement...you just don't get credit for it until after the first month of your first term.)

As for Project+, I found it easier with time to just do that one first and then the management classes later. Don't take Project+ lightly, but don't be afraid of it either. It's boring, it's a good way to sleep after if you're having problems sleeping, but the PK0-003 guide is doable to get through, especially if you want to take it once and pass. Once that's over, then, yes spend some time with the management courses. I spent my entire dead time month working on those three so that my first week of new term, I was done with my 12 CUs...lol. It looks like it took me a week to do them, but it was more like 3-4 weeks prior to beginning of next term.

Unfortunately the BBC1 completion will only put me at 11CUs (including EWB), need to get that SSC1 done for the remaining 1CU as I'm not enrolled in SST1 yet. The SST1 will be the first course I enroll in after my initial courses as I hope to have the tasks completely either at the same time or prior to taking the exam for SSC1. But yeah I'm just trying to plan ahead so there's no downtime.

Demonfurbie also mentioned Project+ before the management courses as well in a PM so that's what I was leaning towards. I'm definitely not intimidated by the sounds of Project+, I'll just load up on caffeine and get completely wired before cracking open the books icon_lol.gif
    Required:
    Classes Transferred:
  • Options
    Unfortunately the BBC1 completion will only put me at 11CUs (including EWB), need to get that SSC1 done for the remaining 1CU as I'm not enrolled in SST1 yet. The SST1 will be the first course I enroll in after my initial courses as I hope to have the tasks completely either at the same time or prior to taking the exam for SSC1. But yeah I'm just trying to plan ahead so there's no downtime.

Demonfurbie also mentioned Project+ before the management courses as well in a PM so that's what I was leaning towards. I'm definitely not intimidated by the sounds of Project+, I'll just load up on caffeine and get completely wired before cracking open the books icon_lol.gif

I forgot LAE1 was a 2 credit course...my apologies. I had to go back to AAP and see why my math was off. I forgot that the LXX1 classes (not including LET1) were 2 CUs each....[I had very little sleep last night...lmao.] My bad. :)

The management classes--people were definitely correct about them. If you ever had a real job, which most if not all of us has had, then much of the HR-ese that's in ORC1/MGC1 is a breeze. Yeah, there are some high-level concepts that you get from the assessments, but I just googled those and made a note to know it when it showed up on the exams. Most of that stuff I figure I'm gonna go over again in grad school anyhow. The Project+ stuff will help you out with those as well....you will need to know norming, storming, etc when a project team gets assembled (you'll know what I mean when you get into Project+). Aside from that though, Project+ is pretty independent of the rest of those classes. Glad I got it though... :)
  • Options
    BBC1 is now complete. Didn't expect it to have as many questions as it did, started getting a little cramped sitting in the same spot so they can see me.

My mentor (who I finally got in touch with) wants me to go ahead and attempt BAC1. I'm not even the slightest bit comfortable with that and have requested additional assistance. I despise math and it's going to take a lot to get me to understand it fully.

Now back to my CCENT studies, time to get BRV1 knocked out. I'll worry about the math stuff after that.

I wonder how hard it'll be for me to convince my mentor to allow me to start on 70-640, 70-642 and 70-646. Not all at once obviously but in my offer letter from my new job they stated that there would be a 3k increase in pay once I have my MCITP.
  • Options
    My mentor (who I finally got in touch with) wants me to go ahead and attempt BAC1. I'm not even the slightest bit comfortable with that and have requested additional assistance. I despise math and it's going to take a lot to get me to understand it fully.

Settle down there.

BAC1 is a foundations course...it is a good idea to get it over with now. All you need is to brush up on the stuff you did in grammar/high school. The worst that happens is if you fail it, you will do some mathlab drills (which are VERY straightforward; if you can read you can do it) and when you take BAC1 again you'll pass.

You will probably pass BAC1 first shot...just get it over with and be done with it.

I probably hate math more than you do. The only reason I didn't have to take BAC1 was because I did have a college math course that counted for that and QMC1. But if it's like BBC1, then it's going to be kinda easy, even if it's a fail.
  • Options

You will probably pass BAC1 first shot...just get it over with and be done with it.

I took the first little test on whole numbers, using a calculator and got a 47. Math and I do not get along very well at all. That's why I was unable to transfer in any math from my previous college experience, I failed every last bit of it, that was with tutoring and 1 on 1 help from the instructor. I'm not sure what it is, but it never sticks in my head and I never get those "Ah-ha!" moments like I do with other things.
  • Options
    drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    passed my tpv1 today. time to kill lat1, but i need to think of a damn topic
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
  • Options
    For the math classes let me tell you a secret... They give you the answer, you just need to figure out which one. Just plug in each answer into the question until it proves true. I know it's not a good way to learn but it helps when you just can't figure out the question.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    For the math classes let me tell you a secret... They give you the answer, you just need to figure out which one. Just plug in each answer into the question until it proves true. I know it's not a good way to learn but it helps when you just can't figure out the question.

which math class or all of them?
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers: