Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    myedjo24myedjo24 Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I passed INC1 today on the first try barely (I got a 59%). I don't know what to say about it, because I didn't study and just kind of winged it hoping I would pass. On the pre-assessments I at first got a 56% then a 61% and all three tests were pretty much very similar. If you get a decent score on the pre-assessments I would say that you should pass the real one with no problem. Also, in highschool I never took real science classes (took ag science for my grad requirements), so my science knowledge is really just based off my 5th-6th grade years. I think anyone should be fairly able to pass this with out any problems, unless you're maybe 30-40+ and can't really remember that far back as 5th-6th grade (luckily I'm just 22 and it wasn't THAT far back lol). For me that hardest questions were about the Universe and Organisms (go figure, really big things and really tiny things).
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Pass JavaScript today. Not a lot of coding question like VCampus. Just some odd tricky ones. Got 82%. Now to kick my butt and get 70-680 into the pass column.

So you did the old test? I was under the impression students weren't allowed to take the old test.....
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    erpadmin wrote: »
    So you did the old test? I was under the impression students weren't allowed to take the old test.....

Yes I took the old one. I have the old course code with 3 cu's so I was able to. I had the option to take the newer one but sense I don't plan on doing much JavaScripting I figured it didn't make much sense. That book is great btw (you know the one).
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    I'm doing the old one my self

Is there a book I need that is great?
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    I'm doing the old one my self

Is there a book I need that is great?

He's talking about this one:

The Pragmatic Bookshelf | Pragmatic Guide to JavaScript

It's a short read but seems very informative. I plan on going through this first and then using the book WGU provides. What I like about it is you have a bunch of formats (PDF, mobi (Kindle) and the one for iPhone/iPad. I can use TTS for it, but I'm gonna see how I do without it.

I'm gonna be brave and do the new test. With the mention of AJAX and such, I think I should be able to relate it to what I currently do. If I didn't have so many GEs to do, this exam would have been done in the first term.
  • Options
    I have no interest in js so I'm doing the old one

Ty for the link
  • Options
    roadrhodesroadrhodes Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    OK, I hope you guys can help me with this... I had my mentor call this evening and he stressed WGU's new initiative called OTP (On Time Progress) which is what I believe I have been reading everyone talking about as it comes to the stress put on passing LabSim with +90%.

My mentor is stating that the 70-680 exam is apparently one of the most difficult MS exam. Has anyone taken 70-680? Is it really that hard? I have nominal->intermediate experiences and use Win7 everyday. I realize though that there are more focuses put on the networked side of Win7 as well as migration and installation techniques.

I have seen multiple schools of thought, half say take the MS exams in numerical order for the easiest path, the other half saying that starting with the OS and moving to servers later is the advised route.

So I guess the question is... which first and how hard is 70-680.

Thanks
  • Options
    Lemonade727Lemonade727 Member Posts: 177
    roadrhodes wrote: »
    OK, I hope you guys can help me with this... I had my mentor call this evening and he stressed WGU's new initiative called OTP (On Time Progress) which is what I believe I have been reading everyone talking about as it comes to the stress put on passing LabSim with +90%.

My mentor is stating that the 70-680 exam is apparently one of the most difficult MS exam. Has anyone taken 70-680? Is it really that hard? I have nominal->intermediate experiences and use Win7 everyday. I realize though that there are more focuses put on the networked side of Win7 as well as migration and installation techniques.

I have seen multiple schools of thought, half say take the MS exams in numerical order for the easiest path, the other half saying that starting with the OS and moving to servers later is the advised route.

Thanks

The 70-680 really is a pretty tough exam. It's the only MS certification I have so I don't have anything to compare it to, but you should hop in the Windows 7 exams section of the forums here and read more on it. I'm sure you'll run into quite a few threads of people failing the exam, but browsing through there should give you an idea of what you're up against.

Regular intermediate day-to-day experience unfortunately won't help for the majority of the exam, it's definitely going to take some studying on your part if that's what you have to go on.
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Finished! I'm a graduate now!
    Classes Transferred:
    AKV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, CLC1
  • Options
    drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    passed my sec+ last week and taking my project+ this weekend. Going to start on my LAT1 after that and HHT1 because i couldn't transfer it damnit! Figure i'd do my hht1 inbetween down time for lat1
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    roadrhodes wrote: »

Thanks

For the 680, it helps to have multiple sources to work with. If you use the MS press 680 book, make sure you get the errata for it. I used Darril Gibson's 685/686 book to supplement and some technet articles. Make sure you set up a lab for it and go through some exercises based on the exam objectives. There is some material on the exam that references servers, so it helps to be comfortable there, too. Good Luck!
  • Options
    PilotrebornPilotreborn Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So my classes next up at WGU are LET1 and ORC1 and im thinking since they are about leadership and project planning, does the Project+ certification fit in nicely with it? Would it be best to throw that on my plate along with those courses? Also about the CE with the comptia certifications, I have done some reading and have only confused myself more I think.

So if I take A+ and Net+ and Security+ then if every 3 years or less I re-take the security+ exam, it renews all 3 of those certifications for 3 more years right? Or I could submit hours for all the various reasons to add up to the total to qualify for a renawal based on CE?

Also from what I was reading I have to sign up for the CE program, I just took A+ am I not already in the program since it is past the 12/31/2010 cutoff date. And if not what do I have to do exactly to qualify and sign up for the program, thanks a lot for your help guys I appreacite it. :D
  • Options
    So my classes next up at WGU are LET1 and ORC1 and im thinking since they are about leadership and project planning, does the Project+ certification fit in nicely with it? Would it be best to throw that on my plate along with those courses?

Project+ (TPV1) did help with the leadership/management courses, but it wasn't 100% necessary. I did Project+ independent of the LET1/ORC1/MGC1. (In fact, if I did TPV1 along with them, it might have led to overload....) Depending on your PM experience, you will want to spend a good amount of time with TPV1 by itself. Especially if you want to pass TPV1 on the first attempt (don't take it lightly...a good number of very intelligent folks did fail this exam and usually by 1 or 2 questions).

Also about the CE with the comptia certifications, I have done some reading and have only confused myself more I think.So if I take A+ and Net+ and Security+ then if every 3 years or less I re-take the security+ exam, it renews all 3 of those certifications for 3 more years right? Or I could submit hours for all the various reasons to add up to the total to qualify for a renawal based on CE? Also from what I was reading I have to sign up for the CE program, I just took A+ am I not already in the program since it is past the 12/31/2010 cutoff date. And if not what do I have to do exactly to qualify and sign up for the program, thanks a lot for your help guys I appreacite it. :D

Here's what you need to know about the CE program. I will even spare you the editorials about the value of the CE program; I'll just give it to you straight.

If you are certified after 1/1/2011 in A+, Network+, Security+, and you want to participate in the CE program, then you have to sign up via the CompTIA certification page and you will have three years to recertify. If you recertify in Security+ under the CE program, then A+ and Network+ get recertified as well. You only need 50 CEUs in the Security+ track to get the other "lower" CompTIA certs recertified as well. However, you have to included A+ and Network+ in that recertification. It is $147 to get it done within 3 years from your last CompTIA cert date.

This has been talked about in the Security+ forum in greater detail. I hope this helps though.
  • Options
    i took project+ then did the other management classes

project+ really did help me with the other classes
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    i took project+ then did the other management classes

project+ really did help me with the other classes

+1 for this.

I found the Project+ filled in a few holes that were waiting in the management class materials.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    PilotrebornPilotreborn Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So would you reccomend Project+ first or the 2 management classes first? And how long would you say I would need to study for project+?
  • Options
    depends on what you have left but how i did it was

all the comptia tests and ended them with project+ then i did all my management classes after that

i used the sybex guide you can get free on books 24/7 with some made up flashcards

Read-Only Flashcard Set
  • Options
    Lemonade727Lemonade727 Member Posts: 177
    The only course I have left to work on is SSC1 for this term pending passing scores on my BAC1 and BBC1 exams that are scheduled. I started reading the ebooks per recommendations from the course mentor as the exam questions are pulled directly from material covered in the texts, but the material is very boring to me and it was hard focusing so this course may end up dragging out a bit longer than I originally thought. Anyone have any recommendations or experiences from this course (SST1 as well as I will be completing those tasks as I go through this course)?

Demonfurbie, I notice that you're currently reading through the COS as well. Are you reading the books directly or just sampling areas you have issues in? I noticed quite a few "fail" threads in the Community for this course.
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Finished! I'm a graduate now!
    Classes Transferred:
    AKV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, CLC1
  • Options
    The only course I have left to work on is SSC1 for this term pending passing scores on my BAC1 and BBC1 exams that are scheduled. I started reading the ebooks per recommendations from the course mentor as the exam questions are pulled directly from material covered in the texts, but the material is very boring to me and it was hard focusing so this course may end up dragging out a bit longer than I originally thought. Anyone have any recommendations or experiences from this course (SST1 as well as I will be completing those tasks as I go through this course)?

Demonfurbie, I notice that you're currently reading through the COS as well. Are you reading the books directly or just sampling areas you have issues in? I noticed quite a few "fail" threads in the Community for this course.

yea im in ssc1 and sst1

what im doing for the test (ssc1) is going on the coaching report from the pre-assessment and reading the chapter summeries on the areas im weak in

now for the sst1 (2 papers) im kinda stuck on the 2nd paper the first one is fairly strait fwd if you watch his premade videos in the blog section of the comunities

the 2nd task i just cant seam to get my mind around so im gonna take a break from it while i review the stuffs for the test in 2 weeks... i just cant seam to understand they guy he gets off track and is hard to follow on the 2nd task
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    So week 2 of my mentor being no where to be found. Student services has been contacted, the program mentor is now getting involved. Hopefully I can get a new mentor out of this, even though I don't need the helping hand, knowing it's available is nice.icon_sad.gif
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    Hope you get your mentor issues squared away. I haven't heard of others having experiences like that. I did read an article that talked about one mentor who had to keep tabs on 80 students. I am guessing that is true for most, but for sure that is not an excuse for them.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    ive had no issues with mine what so ever

she has about 100 students
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Just got finished taking the webassessor for CLC1. That was way easier than I figured it would be. BBC1 set for Saturday evening, looking forward to it now. I think that was the quietest i've had it in my room in a long time. icon_lol.gif
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    Hypntick wrote: »
    So week 2 of my mentor being no where to be found. Student services has been contacted, the program mentor is now getting involved. Hopefully I can get a new mentor out of this, even though I don't need the helping hand, knowing it's available is nice.icon_sad.gif

Dude I feel for you.

This must be a sign that WGU needs to hire more mentors. I have a temporary new mentor because mine is on leave and had issues getting a time he and I could have our weekly chats. We straightened that out when I tried it his way; I had meetings that I could not get out of during our new scheduled time. I then said that we had to do it in the afternoons as those were always my best times since I can get out for lunch. He then obliged. I've been kicking butt with my AAP and I want to remain doing so. Just handed in my second task for INT1 and this weekend (Saturday) I'll be working on my experiment to hand it in by Sunday. I'm on track to have INT1 done by end of the month and then it's working on AKV1/AIV1. Trying to be an MCITP:EA by September/October. Which will then leave me with the last two classes, and then I can graduate. I gotta find out tomorrow more information about prorating the third term, since I will pay for that out of pocket.

You being a new student means they will definitely jump through hoops to make sure you're ok. WGU knows that if you don't hit the ground running from the gate, you will most likely have a difficult time (no one wants you frustrated).

The only thing I needed my mentor for was to enroll me in my classes when I needed him to, and so far so good on that.

You'll be ok man...plus you got us, if nothing else. :)
  • Options
    All I can say for the SST1 task - Don't over think them! The paper isn't really that hard, just that the outline makes it out to be. Any questions PM me.
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
  • Options
    ThePrimetimerThePrimetimer Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So I figured I'd say or word or two since it's been a while after starting my courses. My first real class is BOV1 which, for me, is a tid bit challenging. I don't have the mind of the programmer and even thought this is a beginning language, it's hard for me to wrap my head around it.

One question I have is for the people who have taken this class. Have you ever needed to use JavaScript in your jobs or for any reason after taking and passing this course?

I know this might be a hard class for me, but, by god, I wanna see that Bachelor's degree hanging from my wall staring down at me. So, I just gotta take the time to study and do the best I can.

Hope all is going well for all the other WGU students on here.

Cheers
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done"
  • Options
    shecklersheckler Member Posts: 201
    I think people will only use JavaScript again if they go into web development.

The test wasn't that bad, it didn't really go into any advanced stuff.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    erpadmin wrote: »

You'll be ok man...plus you got us, if nothing else. :)

This is something I hope more prospective WGUers will take note of. . . this forum exists as a support resource as well. Granted, there may be changes to who's here and when, but I expect that as long as there's a WGU that grants IT cert credit there will be at least a thread here at TE. And this is one of the most supportive, helpful crowds on the 'net by any measure.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    One question I have is for the people who have taken this class. Have you ever needed to use JavaScript in your jobs or for any reason after taking and passing this course?

I use JavaScript every single day and I'm not a web developer. I use it when I transform and clean a data set that I've extracted from one source database so it fits nicely in the end target database or flat file. I also use it when I need to create dynamic paths that our workflow systems need to locate files on our file server for automatic movement.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • Options
    So I figured I'd say or word or two since it's been a while after starting my courses. My first real class is BOV1 which, for me, is a tid bit challenging. I don't have the mind of the programmer and even thought this is a beginning language, it's hard for me to wrap my head around it.

I know this might be a hard class for me, but, by god, I wanna see that Bachelor's degree hanging from my wall staring down at me. So, I just gotta take the time to study and do the best I can.

Hope all is going well for all the other WGU students on here.

Cheers

Ah the JavaScript test is easy! VCampus gives you a lot of coding questions but on the actual test I got may be 3-5 questions like that. Just know your syntax (i.e. where a ; goes vs a , or " vs '). http://www.w3schools.com/ has some good stuff also.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hypntick wrote: »

Same boat here - someone else called and left a msg (I was in a work meeting and couldn't take the call) and I have called my mentor and left messages twice. and she has yet to return my call back. Not cool. It definitely makes me rethink WGU and I am now looking at Capitol College for MSIA.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed