Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    nhprnhpr Member Posts: 165
    The webcam exams are less fun than I was expecting. I thought there'd be some minimal interaction with my voyeur, but it's just the cold camera staring at you and the online test. The hardest part for me was keeping aware that someone was watching me, and reminding myself that I couldn't pick my nose. Once you accept that someone's (probably) watching you, it's no different than the preassessments.
  • Options
    ThePrimetimerThePrimetimer Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Pishof wrote: »
    Sorry to hear the new javascript exam course is giving you a hard time. Honestly, I'm not a fan of this course either, javascript just doesn't interest me and I never had a problem with .NET programming classes before. icon_sad.gif

Did you take WFV1 first? That should have at least given you some foundations for html/xhtml you'll need to at least be familiar with for javascript.

If the labs are giving you a hard time I strongly recommend making sure you at least open the completed lab files in Notepad++ (a godsend for this course that makes the code easier to follow) and going over the lab explanation in the book looking at the "answer" code.

Even if you don't complete the labs yourself simply getting familiar at looking at the code in the labs and why it's the correct answer will help you with being familiar with the syntax.

I see you're heavily studying the material and hope you're overestimated the exam. I haven't taken it yet but I think knowing the fundamentals and syntax of javascript should be sufficient.

It's not as though you'll be required to write a final javascript project or anything like a brick/mortar college would require.

I did not take WFV1 as it was transferred. BOV1 was transferred in to, but my mentor thought it would be a good beginner class. I bounce back and forth about how I should not have them undo the course and just skip it. I am very excited about the other classes, Sec+, Windows 7, Windows server.

I will definitely look into Notepad++, anything that will help me understand this better.
    Thanks!
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done"
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    nhpr wrote: »
    The webcam exams are less fun than I was expecting. I thought there'd be some minimal interaction with my voyeur, but it's just the cold camera staring at you and the online test. The hardest part for me was keeping aware that someone was watching me, and reminding myself that I couldn't pick my nose. Once you accept that someone's (probably) watching you, it's no different than the preassessments.

Oh they're watching I promise you that much. I turned my head to the side and had my test stopped. Same with having my tv remote on my desk accidentally once. It's a weird uncomfortable feeling and really do not care for it. Trying to keep in the frame is awful as well, leaves me horribly cramped at the end.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    erpadmin wrote: »
    If you haven't gotten uCertify, I highly suggest you do so. As Jack said, there are a number of items that aren't covered in the mcmcse.com guide (like a couple of the string objects).

See, wha'd I tell ya? uCertify rocks for CIW. It's like Transcender used to be for the MS exams.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    petedude wrote: »
    See, wha'd I tell ya? uCertify rocks for CIW. It's like Transcender used to be for the MS exams.

I used uCertify for Project+ and this...no complaints.

If Transcender is no longer the case for MS exams, what is? Is it uCertify or something else? I heard Transcenders really went downhill for MS over the years....
  • Options
    PishofPishof Member Posts: 193
    I did not take WFV1 as it was transferred. BOV1 was transferred in to, but my mentor thought it would be a good beginner class. I bounce back and forth about how I should not have them undo the course and just skip it. I am very excited about the other classes, Sec+, Windows 7, Windows server.

I will definitely look into Notepad++, anything that will help me understand this better.
    Thanks!

If BOV1 was transferred in, there's your answer. Just don't take it. I assume seeing as you don't know the fundamentals already then web programming isn't a hobby nor interest of yours. I wouldn't waste so much time on a class you don't need, aren't interested in, and are also having trouble with.

I see little value of having CIW javascript fundamentals certification if you're not pursuing web design(and probably not much value even if you are). I'm thinking anyone interviewing you wouldn't care either versus your relevent certifications.

Devout your study resources to something that you're interested in and need to achieve your goals sooner.
    Courses Left for WGU BS - IT: NA:
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
  • Options
    Lemonade727Lemonade727 Member Posts: 177
    Just looked at the new Student Portal layout since the change and noticed the gold medals for completed assessments in the "My Degree Plan" (formerly AAP) tab. Makes me feel like I did when I was in 1st grade and they had the giant board with everyone's name on it and gold medals indicating how well you behaved in class.
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Finished! I'm a graduate now!
    Classes Transferred:
    AKV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, CLC1
  • Options
    nhprnhpr Member Posts: 165
    Just looked at the new Student Portal layout since the change and noticed the gold medals for completed assessments in the "My Degree Plan" (formerly AAP) tab. Makes me feel like I did when I was in 1st grade and they had the giant board with everyone's name on it and gold medals indicating how well you behaved in class.

Well, considering how my mentor seems to be operating on the misconception that I'm perpetually nine years old and sends me smiling, dancing cartoon computers whenever I do something well, this change may be indicative of WGU's overall perception of students.
  • Options
    nhpr wrote: »
    Well, considering how my mentor seems to be operating on the misconception that I'm perpetually nine years old and sends me smiling, dancing cartoon computers whenever I do something well, this change may be indicative of WGU's overall perception of students.

Wait until you take IN*1 (C or T...doesn't matter). Never have I felt like I was ten before I started that class [after I was ten anyway...]....I only felt that way with those particular course mentors though.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    Yea I couldn't even watch the vids for inc1, the mentor was really bad I forced one and she spent 20 min of an hour long vid explaining on how to read a text book and how to study

At this point in life you should know what works for your study habits
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    At this point in life you should know what works for your study habits

I hear your frustration, and generally speaking, you're right. . . but. . .

You'd be surprised how many people need that kind of coaching to get moving. I think the recent "satisfactory progress" changes to WGU's policies reflect that as well.

Some folks will have forgotten given they've been out of school a while, as well.

Also, most of us know to some degree what kind of study works for us, but we might find tips 'n' tricks along the way. I might have learned more about my study habits when taking of pile of CLEPs/DSSTs than I ever had prior.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    You'd be surprised how many people need that kind of coaching to get moving. I think the recent "satisfactory progress" changes to WGU's policies reflect that as well.

I think you're right....the one thing I always forget (because I spend a good deal of "forum" time here) is that there are a few other schools at WGU; not just Information Technology. When I visit the Graduating Progress (or whatever) community, it amazes me about the number of people who need handholding. As opposed to us (all of us TEers) that just want a point in the right direction.

It's kind of moot though....the WGU Bachelors was only meant to be a marked checkbox in finishing a degree. It excites me that I'm actually thinking about grad school....a few years ago, I'd have just been happy with a BS....I guess working at a university colored my thinking.
  • Options
    C_RexC_Rex Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    It's kind of moot though....the WGU Bachelors was only meant to be a marked checkbox in finishing a degree.

Hey, don't go pooping on my diploma!! :D

The first half of my program wasn't as challenging as maybe I'd hoped, but definitely the second half (or second two-thirds, if you look at it term-wise icon_sad.gif ) is every bit as challenging as I could ask for and then some.

I didn't say this in the earlier post as I didn't want to sound like a cheerleader, but I may have actually learned more about my study habits, motivators and hot buttons from my work at WGU than I have in any other study effort. If that doesn't count for something, I don't know what more could be said.
    It excites me that I'm actually thinking about grad school....a few years ago, I'd have just been happy with a BS....I guess working at a university colored my thinking.

Times, they are a changing. I had a real-estate agent tell me a few days ago that a bachelor's degree means nothing anymore. From a real-estate agent!

I'm looking forward to a master's program, too, actually, even outside the "need to get it done" perspective.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's kind of moot though....the WGU Bachelors was only meant to be a marked checkbox in finishing a degree. It excites me that I'm actually thinking about grad school....a few years ago, I'd have just been happy with a BS....I guess working at a university colored my thinking.

I'm in the same boat. I left my corporate job of nearly 10 years about a year ago and switched to a fairly large state university (20,000+ students enrolled). I was just wrapping up my WGU BS program when I started here, and my primary goal when starting at WGU was simply to finish the BS degree I started in the early 90s. I had multiple job offers without it, but I wanted to finish it for my own satisfaction.

Now that I'm at the university, I have a strong drive to continue my education in a graduate program. I took the GRE about a month ago, scored a combined 1410 (680 verbal, 730 quantitative), and I'm officially starting on my Master's degree in Applied Statistics this June.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Options
    Times, they are a changing. I had a real-estate agent tell me a few days ago that a bachelor's degree means nothing anymore. From a real-estate agent!

I'm looking forward to a master's program, too, actually, even outside the "need to get it done" perspective.

I believe that...I only have a high school diploma as the highest thing I've completed. Forget the "some college" crap and IT industry certifications...high school diploma. It is amazing that I was able to get any job in IT, let alone one in the public sector....and at a very good salary to boot, making as much as those who have Masters....I love it dude!

However, all that shows is that, while I am smart, I am also extremely lucky. I am an exception to the rule....that's why I tend to stress education above certs and below experience whenever those "conversations" crop up. :) Education is very important, and the quality of education matters as well. That's why it's important for me to do a B&M after WGU. Nothing against WGU, but it doesn't have the rep yet. Especially if you want to get into "real" academia [in my case, on a part time basis]...(as opposed to another online school),
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    For those of you who have finished QLT1 how bad it is? Just wondering how long it took you. I am trying to schedule out the rest of my term.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    bwcarty wrote: »
    Now that I'm at the university, I have a strong drive to continue my education in a graduate program. I took the GRE about a month ago, scored a combined 1410 (680 verbal, 730 quantitative), and I'm officially starting on my Master's degree in Applied Statistics this June.

Oh wow, nice!

Will you be attending the program for free at your university, OR will you go elsewhere? (Or...does your state still allow you to go to another state school for free as long as it's a state school...my university now will only cover "free tuition" for itself now..... icon_sad.gif ).

Also, if you have anything you might want to add to my thread that I started yesterday about the GMAT preparation (I would imagine prepping for the GRE is similar), it'd be most appreciated.
  • Options
    MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    Anyone have any good ideas for the second paper on SST1? Social Scientific question?

What kind of question are they looking for really? I wanna make sure whatever question I choose to write the paper on is valid before I get started on 5 pages.

Would something like "Are children of abusive parents more likely to abuse their own children?" fit in to what they are looking for?
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Options
    PishofPishof Member Posts: 193
    Has anyone taken the new 1D0-635 javascript exam? I submitted my request for a voucher and was given generic instructions that said to select 1D0-435 when I schedule exam.

Looks like I have a legit excuse to take the old exam then if I want. :D

I've been studying the new material though and still unsure what exam I should take... it seems like the new one is more in-depth?
    Courses Left for WGU BS - IT: NA:
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
  • Options
    To put it succinctly, 1D0-435, aka AKV1, is passed!

Out of 50 questions, I needed 38 to pass. I passed with 39 questions. With this though, I will take that and love it!

I can tell you that the mcmcse.com will help with a good number of questions....however, I don't recommend that that's the only thing you use. uCertify was very much more helpful in getting me the "win." However, I think the frames questions killed me...I didn't spend that much time on the Windows Object part of Javascript.

Seriously though, these were the primary tools I used to pass this exam by the skin of my teeth (a pass is a pass!! :D ):

1. The newboston.com videos (the 40 videos, instead of the 27...though I stopped about halfway through it...after awhile, I couldn't take him anymore...)

2. http://www.w3schools.com/js/default.asp (did not spend that much time on it...just tried to memorize what was needed).

3. uCertify (unlike Project+, I basically took 3 out of the 4 practice exams, plus studied there study guide, which was very helpful! Best $64 ever...)

4. mcmcse.com (not the most complete guide at all, as Jack2 stated earlier, but you get a great foundation)

5. Skillsoft (it actually helped a little though it was annoying to listen to).

I am so glad it's over....if anyone is working on the 635 (like Pishof), you're gonna need to know do some scripting and spend serious time with it. If you're 435-ing it, you have until 5/31/2011 to do it. You will get your gimmes, but do not take the 435 lightly.

Now gentlemen (and perhaps ladies...) I WILL be focusing on the MS exams...no more excuses this time. :D

It is a Good Friday. :D
  • Options
    Jack2Jack2 Member Posts: 153
    icon_cheers.gif Congrats on the pass! icon_cheers.gif

Agreed! don't take this test lightly

Now go find some easter eggs....icon_cool.gif

Out of 50 questions, I needed 38 to pass. I passed with 39 questions. With this though, I will take that and love it!

I can tell you that the mcmcse.com will help with a good number of questions....however, I don't recommend that that's the only thing you use. uCertify was very much more helpful in getting me the "win." However, I think the frames questions killed me...I didn't spend that much time on the Windows Object part of Javascript.

Seriously though, these were the primary tools I used to pass this exam by the skin of my teeth (a pass is a pass!! :D ):

1. The newboston.com videos (the 40 videos, instead of the 27...though I stopped about halfway through it...after awhile, I couldn't take him anymore...)

2. JavaScript Tutorial (did not spend that much time on it...just tried to memorize what was needed).

3. uCertify (unlike Project+, I basically took 3 out of the 4 practice exams, plus studied there study guide, which was very helpful! Best $64 ever...)

4. mcmcse.com (not the most complete guide at all, as Jack2 stated earlier, but you get a great foundation)

I am so glad it's over....if anyone is working on the 635 (like Pishof), you're gonna need to know do some scripting and spend serious time with it. If you're 435-ing it, you have until 5/31/2011 to do it. You will get your gimmes, but do not take the 435 lightly.

Now gentlemen (and perhaps ladies...) I WILL be focusing on the MS exams...no more excuses this time. :D

WGU Courses Completed at WGU: CPW3, EWB2, WFV1, TEV1, TTV1, AKV1, TNV1| TSV1, LET1, ORC1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CVV1, DHV1, DIV1, DJV1, TXP1, TYP1, CUV1, TXC1, TYC1, CJV1
    Classes Transferred: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1 ,1LC1, 1MC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1, CLC1
    WGU Graduate - BSIT 2014
  • Options
    For those of you who have finished QLT1 how bad it is? Just wondering how long it took you. I am trying to schedule out the rest of my term.

About 10 days for me (I had to actually go back a few posts back in February to answer this honestly for you... :D ).

I lived in Mathlab....only because "math" is not my strongest subject. I did QLT1 before QLC1 and I'm REALLY glad I did.

If you put a lot of free time toward your math, your math courses can be done within one month....you just have to utilize the mathlabs and the adobe connect videos on stuff you might not be familiar with/haven't used in a while.

I will tell you this though, the math did consume me quite a bit.....but I wanted to actually (re)learn it....for my GMAT endeavors, I'm kinda glad I did. :)
  • Options

2. JavaScript Tutorial (did not spend that much time on it...just tried to memorize what was needed).

thanks for the info im starting akv1 in the morning
  • Options
    thanks for the info im starting akv1 in the morning

Best of luck, brother!
  • Options
    Best of luck, brother!

ty ill need it

wgu did send me the printed book so i think ill read that then the guide and some pre-tests

edit:

what ill be using
    vcampus
    printed book from wgu
    newboston
    mc guide
  • Options
    Lemonade727Lemonade727 Member Posts: 177
    MiikeB wrote: »
    Anyone have any good ideas for the second paper on SST1? Social Scientific question?

What kind of question are they looking for really? I wanna make sure whatever question I choose to write the paper on is valid before I get started on 5 pages.

Would something like "Are children of abusive parents more likely to abuse their own children?" fit in to what they are looking for?

Yes that question would fit within the domains they approved for the second paper. If you haven't already, go over the course mentor's blog post in the community about the 2nd paper, as well as the recorded video he has on it that's linked at the top of that blog post...it helped me out a TON and I was able to knock the paper out in 2 days no problem once I figured out exactly what they were looking for.

Edit: Also, congrats on the pass erpadmin!

I struggled to get through all 40 of the newboston videos but I managed, and glad I did so I could learn the syntax for some of the array elements and how to integrate and pull info from forms, but I agree they're hard to get through, I just don't like his speaking styles and I felt like punching the screen every time he said "pretty cool huh?". Going to request my voucher here soon and try to schedule it for the weekend of the 7th.
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Finished! I'm a graduate now!
    Classes Transferred:
    AKV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, CLC1
  • Options
    I struggled to get through all 40 of the newboston videos but I managed, and glad I did so I could learn the syntax for some of the array elements and how to integrate and pull info from forms

You will be glad you did...uCertify brought me up to speed somewhat on arrays and pulling info from forms. If I didn't waste my time watching his first set of videos, I would have "finished" the 40...however, I just wanted to fly out to where he was and punch the ---- out of him. I believe in levity to a dry subject and all, but it just got to be too much.

I suspect that with other materials, especially the ones I mentioned, you WILL do much better than I did. You might want to look at the Javascript Bible in Books 24x7 (which you should have access to, if you haven't looked at it already). I will admit I didn't read it, but had I failed, I would have.
  • Options
    shecklersheckler Member Posts: 201
    I'm taking orc1 and mgc1 this weekend, any advice needed or are they pretty easy?
  • Options
    sheckler wrote: »
    I'm taking orc1 and mgc1 this weekend, any advice needed or are they pretty easy?

fairly strait forward

i found that orc1 was a better one to take first