Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Took and passed the 1D0-435 earlier this morning. I honestly thought I would have done a bit better, came out with a 82% and passing is 75%, but a pass is a pass, especially considering I had and still maintain no interest in JavaScript. I'm sure if I had the textbook I could have found the answers for the questions I was iffy about, or even spent more time studying the resources I had available (the ones listed by erpadmin's experience except for uCertify) then I could have squeezed out a couple more points but I'm not too worried about it.

For those still looking to take the 435 before it expires, the free online resources definitely do a great job at covering the majority of the exam, but going off of Pishof's experience with the new exam it honestly may not be worth trying to cram everything in before the end of May (but the 435 material is definitely crammable!).

So I'll be sending in my score report on Monday, and starting tomorrow it's time to tackle the WSV1 course (1D0-520).

You know i'd take this chance to rub things in your mentor's face just a bit. Since she was so reluctant to hand over that voucher in the first place. Oh and congrats sir, I figured you wouldn't have a problem with it. icon_cheers.gif
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Hypntick wrote: »
    You know i'd take this chance to rub things in your mentor's face just a bit. Since she was so reluctant to hand over that voucher in the first place. . .

I'll second this. Important to make sure your mentor knows what you're made of.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    PishofPishof Member Posts: 193
    I lucked out with my mentor. The only resistance is when I first started he was reluctant to add TSV1 as my first class and I told him just do it.

I passed the exam next week (I studied for a couple weeks beforehand) and he has given me everything I've asked for since no questions asked.

Our phone calls always end with him repeating how his boss always tells him to keep out of the motivated students' way and let us do what we want.
    Courses Left for WGU BS - IT: NA:
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Pishof wrote: »
    Our phone calls always end with him repeating how his boss always tells him to keep out of the motivated students' way and let us do what we want.

My mentor says the same thing...when he went on leave, I told him point blank that I didn't want any crap about getting enrolled in classes/vouchers and that he/she needed to "play ball" (my exact words). He was on leave for a good part of my second term (for QL(x)1s and INT1) and his replacement was very helpful. The only issue I had with the temporary mentor was our scheduled time, and I tried accomodating him, until I remembered why I didn't want morning meetings....we tried it his way for a couple of weeks and then said this isn't working for me and we either go back to a time around my original time or I would have to work with someone else. It ended up working well for the both of us.

I think mentors are getting the message to not impede our progress on students like us. If it weren't for reading this entire thread, I would not have been so mindful on that.
  • Options
    Took pre-assessment for ORC1 after reading a few chapters a couple nights ago and got an 81%

Wasn't positive on a lot of answers but it wasn't hard to narrow down to a couple answers choices that at least made sense. I'll read some more before taking the real test. The book isn't a bad read really.

I went ahead and scheduled the real assessment; really dislike that you have to wait a minimum of 6 days to take webcam tests. Seems detrimental if you're prepared for an exam and have to wait almost a week to take it..

Haven't even got my mindedge login for IWC1 and I'm already tempted to schedule final exam just because I know I'll be ready in a week for it. Think I'll go through the modules and then take pre-assessment asap and then schedule test.
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
  • Options
    Pishof wrote: »
    Took pre-assessment for ORC1 after reading a few chapters a couple nights ago and got an 81%

Early congrats on ORC1. Take the pre-assessment on MGC1 and schedule for that one too.

(Seriously, no need to beat yourself up on either if you're not weak on them...your time is going to be better served for classes you DO need to beat yourself up on...in my case that was QL(x)1...yours might be something else.)
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    and if ya have project+ take that after orc1 and mgc1 ... lots of overlap
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    JoshD779JoshD779 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Term 4 starts for me today. I have already requested a voucher to take Security+, which I plan to take within the next two weeks. I'll do LET1 next (got the hard copy of the text), then Project+, and finally ORC1/MGC1. Ideally, I'll finish LET1 in less than three weeks. I'm not familiar with the scope of the tasks as it hasn't shown up in Taskstream yet, so it's a bit difficult to judge. I'll be talking to my mentor tomorrow and she will likely have me set up in Taskstream in no time. The stock Project+ book has arrived and I was surprised and relieved at how thin it is. I know it's dry stuff so I'm glad there's not fifteen chapters to trudge through. I'll add ORC1 and MGC1 on after I pass Proj+.

Once this term is over I won't be able to accelerate any more classes due to the number of classes vs. the number of CUs left. That means my actual graduation date will be April 2014. Nine terms total, baby! I'll be hanging around this forum all the while. Since the WGU IT Communities are pretty dern quiet most of the time, this board has become the default WGU IT Community for me, and I'm sure many of you too. I will continue to soak up the advice given here and I hope to contribute more where I can.

For now, I'm off to brush up on access control and assessments & audits. icon_study.gif
    WGU BS-IT Network Design and Management

Complete: EWB, LAC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1, WFV1, INC1, INT1, TEV1, TTV1, HVC1, HVT1, TNV1, CLC1, TSV1, LET1, TPV1, ORC1

Que:
    AKV1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, MGC1, SSC1, SST1, ABV1, AHV1, AIV1,BHV1, BIV1, TWA1, CPW3
  • Options
    ltgenspecificltgenspecific Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good evening all,

Just wanted to drop by and say THANKS to everyone for recommending WGU so often and in such glowing terms! I completed EWB today and I have my AAV tomorrow @ 2:30.

If it helps at all, I am someone lacking the general 5-6 years in IT that I see around these forums so as words of advice for those also looking into the program, I join the resounding chorus echoed on these forums of: "GO FOR IT!"

I am totally pleased with the presentation thus far and while dry the EWB was well thought out and really answered the majority of my questions regarding academic work as an online student.

So thanks again all for the help in deciding, it's only day 1 and I feel great about my choice already. Can't wait to get started tomorrow!!

**Oh, I am enrolled in the MS:ISA program, prob should have mentioned that before. I'll update my sig as you all have done with courseload, progress, etc. tonight. Very cool stuff.
  • Options
    The cut score for BAC1 is 70%, I got 75%. icon_cheers.gif
    I am so frickin happy right now, between now and when I take the other math courses i'm going to see about a tutoring service. I know 5% isn't passing by much, but I was so scared I was going to fail this one. On to CCENT!
  • Options
    Lemonade727Lemonade727 Member Posts: 177
    I am so frickin happy right now, between now and when I take the other math courses i'm going to see about a tutoring service. I know 5% isn't passing by much, but I was so scared I was going to fail this one. On to CCENT!

Congrats! Been waiting on an update from you to find out how you did.

With the math no longer holding you back for right now it's time to start burning through these other courses icon_cool.gif
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Finished! I'm a graduate now!
    Classes Transferred:
    AKV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, CLC1
  • Options

Congrats man!!

I found it easier to start with QLT1 first before I had QLC1 (though I know the math has changed a bit with new names).

Work through the MathLab...and watch the Aaron MacDonald videos....he does break certain topics down in an easy to follow manner. I was never so happy to work through homework as stuff just started making sense.
  • Options
    Yeah my next courses in order will be BRV1, AHV1, AIV1 and AJV1. Once done with those i'll probably just start knocking out the Science and management type courses back to back. WFV1 will be in there somewhere as well, but that's even an afterthought at this point.

As far as BRV1, I have finished the labsim, have about 7 chapters to go in the Odom book and i'll probably rewatch some of the CBT nuggets videos. On the ucertify tests I haven't gotten anything less than a 800 on any of them so far. I figure 2-3 weeks and i'll be in a very solid spot to take this.
  • Options
    IMPAQIMPAQ Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Many thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences.

I plan on starting up with WGU in June and am very excited about it.

I'm switching careers, so I'm coming in pretty green. Is this university a good choice for someone with little to no IT (database, network, etc.) experience?
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    IMPAQ wrote: »

I'm switching careers, so I'm coming in pretty green. Is this university a good choice for someone with little to no IT (database, network, etc.) experience?
    I'm one of those here who had little, to no, IT experience before starting WGU (except for doing some PC repair). The best thing you can do is to actively study your WFV1 (IT foundations) books to get a handle on where and what IT is. Don't believe all the commercials about how you're guaranteed a job with your degree as you'll put in a lot of work to get an IT job even with all the certs and a degree. WGU has a great program and you'll gain a lot from it but you've got to put in some serious work to succeed. Also, don't get discouraged if you don't make as many CUs as a lot of people here on TE, I haven't made over 20 CUs in a term my whole time here.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■

There are new requirements to get into the IT program. Be sure you qualify so you don't waste time going after WGU when you would be better off somewhere else: Online Admissions | College of Information Technology | Western Governors University Online
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    I'm one of those here who had little, to no, IT experience before starting WGU (except for doing some PC repair). The best thing you can do is to actively study your WFV1 (IT foundations) books to get a handle on where and what IT is. Don't believe all the commercials about how you're guaranteed a job with your degree as you'll put in a lot of work to get an IT job even with all the certs and a degree. WGU has a great program and you'll gain a lot from it but you've got to put in some serious work to succeed. Also, don't get discouraged if you don't make as many CUs as a lot of people here on TE, I haven't made over 20 CUs in a term my whole time here.

How long have you been with WGU?

I'm calling today to discuss my options. I'm transferring from Columbia College of MO, because I like what I have read about WGU. Seems like I can't find a dissatisfied student or alum. Columbia College has worn on me. The format is checklist style and I don't feel like I'm learning much of what would benefit my future.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    How long have you been with WGU?

I'm calling today to discuss my options. I'm transferring from Columbia College of MO, because I like what I have read about WGU. Seems like I can't find a dissatisfied student or alum. Columbia College has worn on me. The format is checklist style and I don't feel like I'm learning much of what would benefit my future.
    I've been going for 2 years now and have just 1 class left to complete (Capstone). WGU will only benefit you if you are willing and able to put in the work.
    Also as Veritas said earlier make sure you meet the requirements for admission to the IT program They implemented those recentlybecause a LOT of people who were new to IT just couldn't cut it. If you check the stats WGU currently has a subpar graduation rate. The low graduation rate is more due to students not being self-motivated to do their work.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    usmc0651dnsusmc0651dns Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was offered be my EC, a chance to get the CIW Foundations cert in lieu of having an Associates to be enrolled in the IT program. I wasn't able to find any "free" resources as to this exam, however there were multitudes for A+ and other related exams. My first question is; how difficult is it to obtain a 73% on the Foundations exam? I have experience with networking, PC repair, as well as building desktops on both Mac and Windows platforms. My second question is; I can start the school of business program in IT management without previously stated prerequistes, but would this be able to be transferred to allow me to be eligible for an IT master's program? If so, would this be of benefit? I would miss out on exam voucher's and classes to go along with them, however I would have a bachelor's in business in conjunction witht the certs that I would be taking on my own accord. Just seeking a little advice.

Thank you
    Ryan
  • Options
    I was offered be my EC, a chance to get the CIW Foundations cert in lieu of having an Associates to be enrolled in the IT program. I wasn't able to find any "free" resources as to this exam, however there were multitudes for A+ and other related exams. My first question is; how difficult is it to obtain a 73% on the Foundations exam? I have experience with networking, PC repair, as well as building desktops on both Mac and Windows platforms. My second question is; I can start the school of business program in IT management without previously stated prerequistes, but would this be able to be transferred to allow me to be eligible for an IT master's program? If so, would this be of benefit? I would miss out on exam voucher's and classes to go along with them, however I would have a bachelor's in business in conjunction witht the certs that I would be taking on my own accord. Just seeking a little advice.

Thank you
    Ryan

Are you capable of taking and passing the A+ and Network+ tests? If the answer is yes, the CIW would be a walk in the park. From what I understand it's quite simple overall.
  • Options
    nhprnhpr Member Posts: 165
    KET1's task 2 is all about file input/output and text processing. This is the most painful thing I'll probably ever have to do for WGU: file IO and text processing... IN JAVA. I'm so tempted to just write a quick Perl script that would do everything needed (probably in about fifteen lines) and have the Java program invoke the Perl script.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    earweed wrote: »
    I've been going for 2 years now and have just 1 class left to complete (Capstone). WGU will only benefit you if you are willing and able to put in the work.
    Also as Veritas said earlier make sure you meet the requirements for admission to the IT program They implemented those recentlybecause a LOT of people who were new to IT just couldn't cut it. If you check the stats WGU currently has a subpar graduation rate. The low graduation rate is more due to students not being self-motivated to do their work.

how i look at it, it costs me about $20 a day to go to wgu and i want to get my monies worth so i work my hardest to get done asap.

my mentor has told me that alot of her other students wait till the last 2 months of the term to try the classes and cant cut it in the shortened timetable, hence the low pass score
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    Are you capable of taking and passing the A+ and Network+ tests? If the answer is yes, the CIW would be a walk in the park. From what I understand it's quite simple overall.

I have been studying for the A+ exam and have a broad knowledge of most of it. I was just somewhat concerned with lack of "free" resources for the CIW certs as opposed to the CompTIA and other more popular certs. It inclined me to think that the CIW certs were less desirable is all.
  • Options
    Spoke to an enrollment counselor on the business side (IT Management). It was like pulling teeth trying to get information that didn't come from a script. I find that to be the case with most colleges and universities, though.

Going to speak with someone in the college of IT to see what they have to say about the program.

I'm assuming an MIS program would be similar to their Business IT Management program.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    . . .I was just somewhat concerned with lack of "free" resources for the CIW certs as opposed to the CompTIA and other more popular certs. It inclined me to think that the CIW certs were less desirable is all.

They are. :)

To explain, CIW certs are less popular as they're less well-known. I still think the knowledge area that Foundations covers is very useful, and touches on a lot of things IT sees every day. So it's not a waste to prepare for Foundations, especially if anything it covers is new to you. The value of the other CIW programs depends partly on what you're doing (or will be doing) every day and partly on what other knowledge areas are dependent on those.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    Spoke to an enrollment counselor on the business side (IT Management). It was like pulling teeth trying to get information that didn't come from a script. I find that to be the case with most colleges and universities, though.

Going to speak with someone in the college of IT to see what they have to say about the program.

I'm assuming an MIS program would be similar to their Business IT Management program.

The main difference I noticed is that with the Business program of IT Management, no certification vouchers are included with you tuition. Also there is a lot less emphasis on IT specific topics. The IT programs offer various certification vouchers and the courses desired to obtain a passing score for those certifications. I was considering the benefit of having a business degree and acquiring the certifications on my own time and dime. My school of thought was that it may provide me with a competetive edge as far as a supervisor or management position somewhere down the road.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I just spoke with the enrollment counselor, and I just added WGU to my FAFSA. I just found out that WGU has 22% graduation rate, and that's 44% lower than the school that I attended! icon_redface.gif Is it really that hard?! I would love to know what's the graduation rate from the IT program.
  • Options
    I just spoke with the enrollment counselor, and I just added WGU to my FAFSA. I just found out that WGU has 22% graduation rate, and that's 44% lower than the school that I attended! icon_redface.gif Is it really that hard?! I would love to know what's the graduation rate from the IT program.

The 22% graduation rate is very misleading. It doesn't take into account that the majority of WGU are transfer students, as opposed to people who are doing college for the first time at WGU. This was a very big topic in the WGU communities. This was my personal response to it back in Janurary.

As a transfer student that went to 4 colleges prior to attending Western Governors University, (and out of those 4, only 2 could be used to transfer in, because I withdrew, and failed out of the other 2) I can tell you that I could not care any less about the other 78% that didn't graduate for whatever reasons. I only care about where I am going to personally stand. With the exception of LUT1 (because you are required to involve at least one other person for that class), no one helped me write my papers, take my exams (whether they were WGU performance classes or the certification exams)...that was 100% me. With that attitude, I plan on graduating, and I'm highly considering going to Utah [edit: or perhaps Atlanta if I'm done before February] for commencement when that time comes and bringing/dragging one of my family members to video the event.

WGU is my last stand at getting a BS and unless I die, I'm going to keep writing those papers and keep passing those tests. I'm done with my first term, and got 100% SAP. I plan on continuing that while still working and maintaining a social and family life to boot.

Between student mentors, course mentors, available learning resources, easy to read courses of studies, and your own attitude, there really isn't any excuse why one can't graduate. Whether it takes one term, or eight terms....graduation is very, very possible. Don't let math and statistics place any doubt on your own abilities...just keep doing what you need to do!
  • Options
    Sunday is going to be a long testing day.

I have a OLP scheduled assessment for ORC1 and 4PM and one for IWC1 at 7PM.

I scored over 80% on both preassessments so should be fine I believe. I'll review the material Sunday before each exam, glossary terms and the such.

After that, It's MGC1!
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471

I am pretty sure that is why they have changed the admission requirements for the IT programs requiring you to either have and associates in IT, certification, or relevant work experience. I would imagine it would be rather tough for someone without any of these to succeed in the program if you didn't work at it. Also, a lot of people see dollar signs when they decide to go into IT and just jump in finding that it is much harder than posting on facebook or twittering. We all know how those dollars signs work out tooicon_lol.gif. As to your question of it being hard it really isn't any harder than a traditional university but you need to be self motivated. It is not like you sit in a classroom for 16 weeks with a teacher giving lectures. You are responsible for doing the research and working on the class. Some can thrive in this environment others cannot. That is why most people here on TE doing well in this environment. We have all studied on our own for certification. As I told my mentor once "This isn't my first rodeo".
    WGU grad