Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Oh wow, nice!

Will you be attending the program for free at your university, OR will you go elsewhere? (Or...does your state still allow you to go to another state school for free as long as it's a state school...my university now will only cover "free tuition" for itself now..... icon_sad.gif ).

Also, if you have anything you might want to add to my thread that I started yesterday about the GMAT preparation (I would imagine prepping for the GRE is similar), it'd be most appreciated.

My tuition for any public university in the state is covered as a benefit, but I still have to be accepted into the program. I'm going to be attending the university where I work, though.

I'll try to track down the GMAT thread.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Options
    frankhenfrankhen Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am so close to graduating. My term ends in June and all I have left is GUT1, TWA1, and CPW4. I have already completed 39 CUs this term. That will put me at 55 CUs this semester.

Anyway, I have asked to my mentor to pull GUT1 up into my AAP and I have been looking through the task documents. I can't seem to find the rubric without having access to taskstream for that class yet. I ran across a post somewhere that stated on two of the task only the evaluation forms need to be submitted. Can anyone confirm this?
  • Options
    frankhenfrankhen Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    apr911 wrote: »
    GUT1 is the second java course. Its called Object Oriented Design and Development.

Ive looked at the task stream and its not exactly clear (to me at least) what all needs to be done individually and with a partner. Im planning on attending the "Getting Started" conference call tomorrow at 11:00 MST to hopefully clarify the who what and how.

From what I can tell, this is the break down of the tasks:

Task 1 - Create a program with a partner. Discuss the experience and complete a self-assessment and submit for grading. (Program not submitted)

Task 2 - Create a program (solo - Program not submitted). Present your program to 2 attendees and have them review your presentation. Submit the attendees review for grading (Unclear if the attendees need to be WGU Students)

Task 3 - Create 2 presentations on [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]software design patterns. Present your presentation to 2 attendees and have them review your presentation. Submit the attendees review and your presentations for grading. (Unclear if attendees need to be WGU Students)

Task 4 - Create a program that connects to a database. Document your program using UML. Create a program test plan. Submit the program, documentation and test plan for grading.

So it seems only task 1 is really a partner activity. As I said, Im hoping to clarify tomorrow who needs to do the presentation reviews and what needs to be submitted for each task.
    [/FONT]

Do you have any update information about this course? I am waiting for mentor to pull it up, so I can't see the rubric yet.
  • Options
    Jack2Jack2 Member Posts: 153
    Anyone doing the MBA IT management track? Opinion so far?
    WGU Courses Completed at WGU: CPW3, EWB2, WFV1, TEV1, TTV1, AKV1, TNV1| TSV1, LET1, ORC1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CVV1, DHV1, DIV1, DJV1, TXP1, TYP1, CUV1, TXC1, TYC1, CJV1
    Classes Transferred: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1 ,1LC1, 1MC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1, CLC1
    WGU Graduate - BSIT 2014
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Jack2 wrote: »
    Anyone doing the MBA IT management track? Opinion so far?

The only thing I don't like about it is that it's not AACSB-accredited. The only reason I care about that is because I want to adjunct teach (though that's part of the reason.)

There is a good amount of discussion on the MBA-IT track in the LinkedIn discussions on the WGU Alumni group.

Personally though, even if I wasn't going to try to be an adjunct, I would still want to try for a B&M school (online or offline.) Only to prove to myself that I could handle that coursework...especially since most part-time MBA programs allow you to finish in 2-3 years. I can deal with that.
  • Options
    Jack2Jack2 Member Posts: 153
    The only thing I don't like about it is that it's not AACSB-accredited. The only reason I care about that is because I want to adjunct teach (though that's part of the reason.)

There is a good amount of discussion on the MBA-IT track in the LinkedIn discussions on the WGU Alumni group.

Personally though, even if I wasn't going to try to be an adjunct, I would still want to try for a B&M school (online or offline.) Only to prove to myself that I could handle that coursework...especially since most part-time MBA programs allow you to finish in 2-3 years. I can deal with that.

Is WGU working on this accreditation? Why would this impair your effort to adjunct teach?
    WGU Courses Completed at WGU: CPW3, EWB2, WFV1, TEV1, TTV1, AKV1, TNV1| TSV1, LET1, ORC1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CVV1, DHV1, DIV1, DJV1, TXP1, TYP1, CUV1, TXC1, TYC1, CJV1
    Classes Transferred: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1 ,1LC1, 1MC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1, CLC1
    WGU Graduate - BSIT 2014
  • Options
    Jack2 wrote: »
    Is WGU working on this accreditation? Why would this impair your effort to adjunct teach?

From what I've read, colleges want to see aspiring professors graduate from a AACSB-accredited school if they're going to teach in either a business program or even an IT program related to business. The university I work at has an MBA program, but no IT/MIS concentration and also, is ACBSP-accredited (the rednecked stepbrother of the AACSB.)

AFAIK, WGU is not working toward this accreditation. WGU MBA graduates have said it didn't matter...but aside from that, I haven't seen much anecdotal evidence that it does.

The one thing I got from those discussions made perfect sense to me...

Folks only care about the last place you graduated from (paraphrased.)

In other words, if folks want to ---- on the WGU degree, that's fine. However, if I have a Masters from a decent school, then their opinion of my undergrad matters not. While I might have had to rush an undergrad degree, I don't have to do that with my Masters, especially an MBA.

The MS ISA seems like a great program that WGU offers, but I'm not interested in a Masters in Info Sec. Especially when I can spend a good amount of time getting a SSCP/CISSP if I wanted to.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    From what I've read, colleges want to see aspiring professors graduate from a AACSB-accredited school if their going to teach in either a business program or even an IT program related to business.

Tenured full-time professors at large, well-known brick and mortar schools, yes. For smaller regional schools or online schools, I'm not sure this is always the case.

For business adjunct professors, I'm hearing it's more helpful to have 18+ master's level credits in a specific concentration than anything else-- for example, an MBA in finance. I may consider this when I finally choose a program.

There are a few options for NA master's degree holders that few know about. California state law permits holders of NA degrees to teach at the community college level, so there may be some options there. Some WGU mentors hold NA degrees as well.

I'm also thinking there may be some shift in the market over coming years. If people start heading to college in droves due to the economy, we might end up in a short-term hiring bubble like tech companies were during the dot-com boom. In such a scenario, anyone breathing and holding a master's degree could get snapped up for a teaching job. This would only be for a short period, say 2-4 years, but it would be a fantastic window to get experience if it happens.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    petedude wrote: »
    Tenured full-time professors at large, well-known brick and mortar schools, yes. For smaller regional schools or online schools, I'm not sure this is always the case.

For business adjunct professors, I'm hearing it's more helpful to have 18+ master's level credits in a specific concentration than anything else-- for example, an MBA in finance. I may consider this when I finally choose a program.

There are a few options for NA master's degree holders that few know about. California state law permits holders of NA degrees to teach at the community college level, so there may be some options there. Some WGU mentors hold NA degrees as well.

I'm also thinking there may be some shift in the market over coming years. If people start heading to college in droves due to the economy, we might end up in a short-term hiring bubble like tech companies were during the dot-com boom. In such a scenario, anyone breathing and holding a master's degree could get snapped up for a teaching job. This would only be for a short period, say 2-4 years, but it would be a fantastic window to get experience if it happens.

I am looking, of course, for a specialization in IT management (or IS management/MIS management...anything that involves managing technology and people who manage IT.)

The scenario you mention is nice...however with my luck, I will be outside any bubble that would allow me to get hired teaching (and I only want part-time...maybe tenure will be nice when I "retire" from my real job.) At least a AACSB degree will give me a shot whether I'm inside or outside the bubble.

Also, I'm terribly mindful of the importance of a good Masters program. Undergrad is one thing, but a Masters is too expensive in terms of time and money to be d---ing around a program that may or may not be considered good by any employer. I also need to not treat it as I did in my undergrad endeavors; once I choose a program, I'm sticking with it until the very end. That's why the homework is getting done now. I know what I want to do, but it is not clear as to where I want to go. I only know where I don't want to go...
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    how long did it take you all to do AKV1 from start to finish

could it take about 3 weeks or is that pushing it, i have a few hours a night to read/lab/videos
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    shecklersheckler Member Posts: 201
    Took me about 2 weeks. The actual test isn't that bad, peolpe say the practice ones are much harder.
  • Options
    PishofPishof Member Posts: 193
    Anyone else take or are studying for Javascript 1D0-635? I see most here are going for the 435 instead.

Got my voucher code and looks like I have my choice of which test to take and a bit undecided on which I should do...

I've been studying the new material and now that wgu finally has the online practice review/quiz/domain test/certification practice test up I've torn through all of those. I can consistently get 90%+ on their practice test question banks but I don't how the practice material is compared to the actual test.

I'm guessing nobody else here has actually sat for the new exam yet? I feel like a guinea pig. I'd go ahead and sit the old exam but I doubt the new study guide will cover all the old material. I'm tired of javascript already.
    Courses Left for WGU BS - IT: NA:
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
  • Options
    Pishof wrote: »
    I've been studying the new material and now that wgu finally has the online practice review/quiz/domain test/certification practice test up I've torn through all of those. I can consistently get 90%+ on their practice test question banks but I don't how the practice material is compared to the actual test.

I'm guessing nobody else here has actually sat for the new exam yet? I feel like a guinea pig. I'd go ahead and sit the old exam but I doubt the new study guide will cover all the old material. I'm tired of javascript already.

I promise you, if the "online practice review/quiz/domain test/certification practice test" were available for me, I'd have taken the 635 instead of the 435. However, I just wasn't comfortable doing that.

You might want to sit for the 635 since you have that resource. Adrian G. (the course mentor) is basically saying "trust me, all of the available resources you have are enough to pass the 635." He has to, since he's bragging away at helping develop the 635.

What is the preassessment anyway? Is it from CIW?
  • Options
    I promise you, if the "online practice review/quiz/domain test/certification practice test" were available for me, I'd have taken the 635 instead of the 435. However, I just wasn't comfortable doing that.

You might want to sit for the 635 since you have that resource. Adrian G. (the course mentor) is basically saying "trust me, all of the available resources you have are enough to pass the 635." He has to, since he's bragging away at helping develop the 635.

What is the preassessment anyway? Is it from CIW?

The only preassessment is the online practice tests from Certification Partners - WGU just like the WFV1 tests.

That's why I don't exactly have the highest faith in them but I think I will go ahead and sit the 635 this week because that is the material I've been studying.

I know for most exams the practice tests are often harder but I have a hard time believing that will be the case this time. I think the online wgu practice material was too simple.
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
  • Options
    The only preassessment is the online practice tests from Certification Partners - WGU just like the WFV1 tests.

That's why I don't exactly have the highest faith in them but I think I will go ahead and sit the 635 this week because that is the material I've been studying.

I know for most exams the practice tests are often harder but I have a hard time believing that will be the case this time. I think the online wgu practice material was too simple.

If I had to READ all the material in WFV1, I'd have gotten 100%. There wasn't one question that was asked that wasn't covered in the books (from what I skimmed...)

I'm sure the Javascript is the exact same way...however keep in mind that you're *supposed* to spend x amount of hours daily going through it like you would in a classroom. (As opposed to the cramming we tend to do, for the most part, just to get rid of the CIW exams...)

If you're comfortable with Javascript and the new material, then knock that sucker out. Personally, there was only so much functions, methods, properties, document.write, frames etc, that I could take that I had to just hope that what I did was enough...
  • Options
    Lemonade727Lemonade727 Member Posts: 177
    If I had to READ all the material in WFV1, I'd have gotten 100%. There wasn't one question that was asked that wasn't covered in the books (from what I skimmed...)

I'm sure the Javascript is the exact same way...however keep in mind that you're *supposed* to spend x amount of hours daily going through it like you would in a classroom. (As opposed to the cramming we tend to do, for the most part, just to get rid of the CIW exams...)

If you're comfortable with Javascript and the new material, then knock that sucker out. Personally, there was only so much functions, methods, properties, document.write, frames etc, that I could take that I had to just hope that what I did was enough...

I'm starting to feel the same way. Requested my voucher and hoping to have it in time to schedule at my local center for this Saturday.

My mentor was a bit hesitant to approve my request though since it hasn't been too long since I enrolled in the course and I think that's relating to what you stated about how we're "supposed" to dedicate several weeks time (or however long the COS usually mentions it should take to pass the class).
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Finished! I'm a graduate now!
    Classes Transferred:
    AKV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, CLC1
  • Options
    My mentor was a bit hesitant to approve my request though since it hasn't been too long since I enrolled in the course and I think that's relating to what you stated about how we're "supposed" to dedicate several weeks time (or however long the COS usually mentions it should take to pass the class).

I'm batting 1000 with my mentor on tech exam assessments. (Knocking on wood) I don't request a voucher until and unless I'm 100% sure I can pass it...even if it's barely. In regards to the 435 alot of stuff I got burned on was frames (on the old test). There was at least one thing on the mcmcse.com guide that I thank God I read as it helped me out. I try to absorb the material I'm reading so that I can keep batting that 1000. What really impressed my mentor (though he was concerned about WFV1 for me because of the HTML) was that I got 870 out of 900 on TSV1 within the first month of my first term.

My challenges will be the MS exams. (All five of them...even the easiest of them...the 640... :D)

I'm sure you'll do fine though...just keep attacking the material up until the last possible second.
  • Options
    Received my voucher today and scheduled the 1D0-435 for Saturday morning. Definitely ready for it and then it's onto the WSV1 to knock out the 1D0-520 since I've been going over some html/xhtml/css stuff recently between BOV1 and the WFV1 test.
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Classes Transferred:
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    Well I failed my first WGU assessment last night. GAC1 or finite mathematics. For those of you who have to take it not the easiest. The problem is that the test has few questions but has a high passing score. The highest I have run into. I so wish they would have let me take the old math classes. I wish the old they give you the answers would help out on this test but it really doesn't. This was probably the first test I ran into that the actual test was harder than the preassessment. <vent> It also didn't help that Kryterion decided to stop my test for no reason. I called in and they said we don't see a reason why it was stopped. </vent>

Off to study more math that I will never use in my life. icon_wink.gif
    WGU grad
  • Options
    Well I failed my first WGU assessment last night. GAC1 or finite mathematics. For those of you who have to take it not the easiest. The problem is that the test has few questions but has a high passing score. The highest I have run into. I so wish they would have let me take the old math classes. I wish the old they give you the answers would help out on this test but it really doesn't. This was probably the first test I ran into that the actual test was harder than the preassessment. <vent> It also didn't help that Kryterion decided to stop my test for no reason. I called in and they said we don't see a reason why it was stopped. </vent>

Off to study more math that I will never use in my life. icon_wink.gif

I will be taking my remaining 3 math courses after these CIW certifications so I will be starting with the GAC1 probably in the middle of May. Are you normally pretty good at math, or do you struggle with it? I've always been pretty decent so was hoping these courses wouldn't give me too many problems (scored a 31 on my math portion of the ACT).
    Required:
    Classes Transferred:
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    I will be taking my remaining 3 math courses after these CIW certifications so I will be starting with the GAC1 probably in the middle of May. Are you normally pretty good at math, or do you struggle with it? I've always been pretty decent so was hoping these courses wouldn't give me too many problems (scored a 31 on my math portion of the ACT).

You are probably better than it than me, but I was a straight A math student in high school and college. The bigger problem for me is that I have been out of college for 8 years and high school longer. My biggest gripe is that there is no community for these classes. The course mentors are available of course, but it was nice to see where others had issues and how they dealt with them. I scored an 85 percent on the preassessment and a 60 on the actual test. Usually I am pretty close scorewise. I wouldn't worry about it too much I'm sure you will be fine.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    You are probably better than it than me, but I was a straight A math student in high school and college. The bigger problem for me is that I have been out of college for 8 years and high school longer. My biggest gripe is that there is no community for these classes. The course mentors are available of course, but it was nice to see where others had issues and how they dealt with them. I scored an 85 percent on the preassessment and a 60 on the actual test. Usually I am pretty close scorewise. I wouldn't worry about it too much I'm sure you will be fine.

Yeah I'll just see what happens when the time comes. I'm going through the courses in this term at a pretty decent pace so even if I do slow down a bit from the math courses it shouldn't affect progress too much. Good luck on your next try at the assessment though!
    Required:
    Classes Transferred:
  • Options
    ThxlbxThxlbx Member Posts: 105
    I am taking the Integrated Natural Science courses for my next term, starting next week. Anyone been through those?
    WGU B.S.IT - Security
    Currently Enrolled:
    LET1, INC1, INT1
    Courses Completed:
    EWB2, TEV1, TTV1, CLC1, TSV1,WFV1,ORC1
    Courses Transferred:
    BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LVT1, QLC1, SSC1, SST1, QMC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1
    Courses needed:

BGV1, AKV1, GTT1, MGC1, WDV1, TPV1, GUT1, ABV1, TWA1, CPW4, BLV1
  • Options
    jdchildersjdchilders Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've enjoyed reading everyone's reviews.

I'm looking to start the MS Info Sec/Assurance degree here soon.

As of last night completed and passed the entrance assessment and submitted my scholarship application.

Hope to see reviews/insights from this MS program for those in it.
  • Options
    JoshD779JoshD779 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thxlbx wrote: »
    I am taking the Integrated Natural Science courses for my next term, starting next week. Anyone been through those?
    I took them in my second term. Those were my favorite gen ed classes. I also found them to be the easiest gen eds so far. The communities were very active and helpful too. I think I did the entire class in about a month. Don't let people's feedback about the exam freak you out. If you use the study guide provided by the course mentors, you'll do fine.
    WGU BS-IT Network Design and Management

Complete: EWB, LAC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1, WFV1, INC1, INT1, TEV1, TTV1, HVC1, HVT1, TNV1, CLC1, TSV1, LET1, TPV1, ORC1

Que:
    AKV1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, MGC1, SSC1, SST1, ABV1, AHV1, AIV1,BHV1, BIV1, TWA1, CPW3
  • Options
    So 42 is the answer!

Tomorrow morning I'm taking the new JavaScript 1D0-635. Looks like I'll need a 42/55 to pass. A leeway of 13 answers should be more than enough for me to pass hopefully.

The course mentor said that the online wgu practice exam is as close to the real test as you can get. Quite reassuring as the online practice test question bank isn't too hard.

I wonder if it'll be friends with me. icon_lol.gif
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
  • Options
    ThxlbxThxlbx Member Posts: 105
    JoshD779 wrote: »
    I took them in my second term. Those were my favorite gen ed classes. I also found them to be the easiest gen eds so far. The communities were very active and helpful too. I think I did the entire class in about a month. Don't let people's feedback about the exam freak you out. If you use the study guide provided by the course mentors, you'll do fine.

Thanks! I am hoping to get them out of the way in a month or less. Going to take the pre-assessment on one and see how I score, you only need a 52% to pass, so maybe I will have enough knowledge to get by. If not, hopefully it will not take long to crank it out if I put in a couple of hours a day on it.
    WGU B.S.IT - Security
    Currently Enrolled:
    LET1, INC1, INT1
    Courses Completed:
    EWB2, TEV1, TTV1, CLC1, TSV1,WFV1,ORC1
    Courses Transferred:
    BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LVT1, QLC1, SSC1, SST1, QMC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1
    Courses needed:

BGV1, AKV1, GTT1, MGC1, WDV1, TPV1, GUT1, ABV1, TWA1, CPW4, BLV1
  • Options
    So 42 is the answer!

Tomorrow morning I'm taking the new JavaScript 1D0-635. Looks like I'll need a 42/55 to pass. A leeway of 13 answers should be more than enough for me to pass hopefully.

The course mentor said that the online wgu practice exam is as close to the real test as you can get. Quite reassuring as the online practice test question bank isn't too hard.

I wonder if it'll be friends with me. icon_lol.gif

Good luck! I'll be taking my JavaScript exam Saturday morning but for the 435 version.
    Required:
    Classes Transferred:
  • Options
    myedjo24myedjo24 Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thxlbx wrote: »

The INT1 was pretty easy, because I find the performance assessments way easier than the objective assessments (I don't like taking tests...I know some performance assessments are tests for the certs...).

If you're horrid at science, then the INC1 will be pretty tough. It's kind of all basic info across the domains of science, but because I never really took any science classes in high school it was a hard test for me (I took ag science classes for my HS science requirements). Also, I'm fairly good at remembering things and the practice tests had pretty much the same questions that the real test has, so what I did was just look up the questions that I flat out didn't know...to know them.

I didn't study any of the materials, other than the things that I looked up online and I passed my first try with a 59%, which 58% is passing. If you're the studying type, I would recommend printing out all the little course of study questions, and then answer them correctly. That's what a lot of people say they did and it helped them. Another thing, supposively the videos helped people as well, but I found the instructor kind of annoying (not quite as bad as the fruit (I appologize if I offend any one, but I'm a pretty crude person) in the math videos) and she had bad audio.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    Good luck! I'll be taking my JavaScript exam Saturday morning but for the 435 version.

please let me know how the 435 is im taking it on the 11th .. i havent had much time to prep cause on may 31 ya have to take the 635 not the 435
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers: