Options

Summer (May 20) 2013 Stanly CC vSphere 5 ICM Class Thread

ITMonkeyITMonkey Member Posts: 200
Thought since this is such a popular class referenced in this forum, I'd start a new thread for the Summer session.

19 days and counting until the class begins ....

Comments

• Options
    emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
  • Options
    jackiejaiaujackiejaiau Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    yeah can't wait.
    do we need to buy the textbook in order to sit in the exam anyway?
  • Options
    The course textbook is mentioned often enough in the Spring 2013 thread. I have yet to read something positive about the textbook. My copy ought to arrive later this week, so it may be a while before I can form my own opinion.

I learned long ago to use several sources when studying for a certification exam. And as always, I like to use my library's subscription to eSafari books to browse through technical books, trying to find out the author's writing style, the depth of the material covered, and how each book stacks up compared to others. Then I go about ordering two (or more) that made the best impression. If you live in the USA, many county libraries, community colleges to university library have Safari eBook subscriptions. Get a library card and use your PC or mobile device to read their books for free. If your library does not have a subscription, get a trial subscription for about US$ 20. per month. By the way, Safari has about a dozen vSPhere related books when I looked.

I bought the Sybex book Mastering VMware vSphere 5, largely because it had good reviews, it had step-by-step exercises, the book seemed well organized, and the author had a writing style that didn't put me to sleep or confuse me. Got it through O'Reily books online at a 50% discount. I downloaded pdf, and mobi file formats of the book so that I could read it on my PC and Android tablet.

I have mixed throught about buying the VMware press book written by Bill Fegurson. The main put-off was the way in which the book is tightly coupled to VMware's exam blueprint. He tells you early in the initial paragraphs that the order of topics is based on VMware's exam blueprint. As I read quickly though the first chapter, I found myself re-reading (and re-reading sections yet again) because of the way components in the vSphere product line were ordered. For instance, vCenter was covered before even getting to ESXi. The coverage seemed good in each area -- that's why I may yet buy the book for additional technical insight. And if I don't buy it, perhaps I'll read sections using Safari.

If anyone has found yet other good learning material, I'll give you a banana in exchange for your input.
  • Options
    brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    Is the class already full?
  • Options
    FireFireFireFire Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    brownwrap wrote: »
    Is the class already full?

Full and have a lot ppl in the waiting list.... LOL
  • Options
    I don't find it funny at all. Quite disappointing.
  • Options
    The Fall term class begins in August. Get on the waiting list, or talk to the registrar about important dates from which to apply. This is an extremely popular class.
  • Options
    You mean the Fall class already has a waiting list?
  • Options
    jalu6jalu6 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi All.

I registered for this class after the spring session filled up and only remembered it after cleaning out my inbox!

Guess I had better get started on prep. Besides the one Class/Payment Acknowledgement, has anyone gotten any other emails or info about the class? I'll read through the other thread to see where I can get the book.
  • Options
    BloogenBloogen Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am registered but have not got any additional information yet. From my memory of the other thread they only got emails pretty close to the date of the class.
  • Options
    descender421descender421 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just registered today for May 20th. Not sure if someone dropped out to get the spot as I was on the waiting list or what. The individual I've been in contact with said the professor will be emailing us next week sometime to give logins. Hopefully that turns out to be true.
  • Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Yeah I got a phone call yesterday from Stanly asking for my home e-mail address for their records. I have their email address they provided forwarded to my home one. I haven't gotten any responses for the May 20th class either...so I'm waiting too.
  • Options
    Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    I just registered today for May 20th. Not sure if someone dropped out to get the spot as I was on the waiting list or what. The individual I've been in contact with said the professor will be emailing us next week sometime to give logins. Hopefully that turns out to be true.

How did you register? Through the website?e-mail?calling them?

Did you e-mail nhunnycutt earlier to add you to the waiting list?
    On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
    Scheduled for: Unscheduled
    Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs
  • Options
    FireFireFireFire Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I got the email from stanly yesterday and registered last night. I did email nick before to add me to the waiting list. Now I am waiting for instructor to email me the login info..... Here I come...

Good luck Sounds Good. Hopefully you will have email today.
  • Options
    What is Mr. Hunnycutt's emal address?
  • Options
    FireFire wrote: »
    I got the email from stanly yesterday and registered last night. I did email nick before to add me to the waiting list. Now I am waiting for instructor to email me the login info..... Here I come...

Good luck Sounds Good. Hopefully you will have email today.

Thanks for the good wishes. When did you e-mail nick initially to be added to the wait list?
    brownwrap wrote: »
    What is Mr. Hunnycutt's emal address?

nhuneycutt2262@stanly.edu
  • Options
  • Options

Yes, I had emailed nhunnycutt around a month ago to get added to the waiting list. I was under the impression at the time that the waiting list was for fall quarter though, as I thought Summer was completely full. Once I received the email to register, they only gave me 2 days to actually register or they were going to give up my spot.
  • Options
    Yes, I had emailed nhunnycutt around a month ago to get added to the waiting list. I was under the impression at the time that the waiting list was for fall quarter though, as I thought Summer was completely full. Once I received the email to register, they only gave me 2 days to actually register or they were going to give up my spot.

That sounds good. I e-mailed nick on the 2nd, so although slim, there is still hope!
  • Options

I registered via their website. Only had a few spots left when I registered. Best bargain around! Too bad more schools don't have this deal!

I was told on earlier posts that the book for this class is really not needed...can anyone else confirm that? Any other books that are recommended for the exam?
  • Options
    kiki162 wrote: »
    I registered via their website. Only had a few spots left when I registered. Best bargain around! Too bad more schools don't have this deal!

I was told on earlier posts that the book for this class is really not needed...can anyone else confirm that? Any other books that are recommended for the exam?

When did you register via their website? If it was recently, that is weird
  • Options
    When did you register via their website? If it was recently, that is weird

I wanna say March timeframe.
  • Options
    xordisxordis Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I made it into the Summer class. Jeffery Drake's class CAS-300039-204
    Got an email the other day as I was on the waiting list.
    Luckily I ordered the text books a few weeks ago and I have them already.

Given it's 204, and the originals were 200, 201, one would assume I am on the 5th class this semester.
    There was talk about organising another 2-3 classes, and when I registered I guessed I got the second or last spot on the fifth class.
  • Options
    xordis wrote: »
    I made it into the Summer class.
    when did you e-mail nhunneycutt to be put on the waiting list?
  • Options
    I emailed Nick on the 3rd of April but didn't receive any response.
    At the time I was also trying to enroll to the CC and was having all sorts of issues as I don't have a SSN etc (non US citizen).
    Going through all that process I was given the email of the faculty director who was keeping the waiting list and she took all my details.
    Thought I missed out but someone from admissions emailed just a few days ago and I was able to enroll this semester.
  • Options
    Received the bookset yesterday. Package consists of 3 spiral-bound books. Two books comprise the study material; total page count is over 600 pages. Almost every page has an illustration or screen snapshot, as well as accompanying text. The third book has 27 test lab exercises, I recall.

10 days and counting .....
  • Options
    CyrilMtlCyrilMtl Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am on the next class too,
    Do you know where I can order the class' book ?

From Stanly Bookstore, the price double with the shipping to Canada,

Cyril
  • Options
    xordis wrote: »
    I made it into the Summer class. Jeffery Drake's class CAS-300039-204

Given it's 204, and the originals were 200, 201, one would assume I am on the 5th class this semester.
    There was talk about organising another 2-3 classes, and when I registered I guessed I got the second or last spot on the fifth class.

Have you received login info or anything yet? I didn't receive which class I was actually in, although I didn't ask. I just was notified I'm officially registered for May 20th after I paid for registration.
  • Options
    Cyril, Why not look at the colleges in your local area that offer the course and get the books from the.
    You are looking for the following code.

VAP-ENG-VSICM5-SK

I believe the books are only available via VMware through a VMware education partner, but all universities/colleges doing the course will have access to the books.

Here are the list of colleges that are supposed to be giving the course.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0At5YcMvz2XzJdHFCSVJWcUEzaGpPZ2pxd0taVXVJcnc&hl=en_US#gid=0
  • Options
    ITMonkey wrote: »
    Received the bookset yesterday. Package consists of 3 spiral-bound books. Two books comprise the study material; total page count is over 600 pages. Almost every page has an illustration or screen snapshot, as well as accompanying text. The third book has 27 test lab exercises, I recall.

10 days and counting .....

How long did it take from ordering to actually receiving the book?