Options

Summer (May 20) 2013 Stanly CC vSphere 5 ICM Class Thread

Comments

• Options
    jackiejaiaujackiejaiau Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    revbillyg wrote: »
    is it just me or does the lab seem really slow? on lesson 2 installing the esxi client and it chugs... can we complete the lesson in our own lab environment and then just take the quizzes or are the labs MUST dos?

took me more than 15 minutes to install vsphere client...............
  • Options
    lordmorgothlordmorgoth Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    HP_Guy wrote: »
    Hi lordmorgoth, how are you finding it? Is there any disadvantage to being so far away do you think? Were you charged anything more? Thanks.

I can't find any disadvantage whatsoever. My only pet peeve is the speed (or the lack thereof) of the Netlabs VM's.
  • Options
    revbillygrevbillyg Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Haswell wrote: »
    I just finished taking this class last month. All of the labs are released on the first day, and you have until the last day of the class to finish them. The lectures and quizzes will be released throughout the 8 weeks. There's only 7 quizzes.

you can do the labs just cant listen to the videos..
  • Options
    FYI, if you are having issues on lab3 saving the schema version to 5 I changed the tab to status and went back to database and it was changed. Just save your settings again and it will show successful. then you can go start the service..
  • Options
    MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    Just finished labs for up to module 3. I will probably work on the other labs just to get them knocked out before I head on vacation early June.

The netlabs thing is decent, a bit basic and not fully intuitive but definitely has everything you need. Definitely slow.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Options
    malibubtsmalibubts Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    malibubts wrote: »
    Sounds like people have gotten into NetLab? I'm having issues logging in. Did you all use your Moodle username then the 'vmware123' from the instructions page?

Figured it out. I guess my last name is too long making my username for NetLab too long so I couldn't log in.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Does it show somewhere which labs you have completed. I also did uo to Lab 3 but can't find anything that says I did them.
  • Options
    I don't think you actually complete the labs per say. All they are are vms and nothing unique to the class setup. I think the only way they would know if you complete is if the instructor looked at you lab environment.
  • Options
    HaswellHaswell Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    revbillyg wrote: »
    I don't think you actually complete the labs per say. All they are are vms and nothing unique to the class setup. I think the only way they would know if you complete is if the instructor looked at you lab environment.

You are correct.
  • Options
    xordisxordis Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Next modules are up on the site now.
  • Options
    Done with all the tests, still need to do Lab 7 then try to get a bit ahead. Labs are a bit tedious since I have done this all on my personal lab and the speed is frustrating =\
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
  • Options
    I am slowly catching up this weekend.
    About half way through. Long weekend here in Australia so I will get them all done this weekend.
    Ready for the final push when the last batch is released.

Does anyone know when we get the voucher and credit for the course?
    Will start studying for the cert soon I think.
  • Options
    ITMonkeyITMonkey Member Posts: 200
    I'm in the same situation, more or less. Getting ready for the final push. But realizing there is a whole lot more to learn. Like ... a virtual server environment changes the nature of regular backups.

Why? There is excess processor and IO bandwidth available in a non-virtualized platforms. (Remember: one of the justifications to virtualize servers is to put-to-use all that under-utilized hardware and bandwidth.) With several guest VMs running, much of that headroom disappears. Running backups can possibly remove any spare resource headroom from a physical host. Then there is the matter of a virtualized server farm running within a host: With just about every vm guest a duplicate of another, isn't one wasting a lot of cpu and io bandwidth backing up duplicated information? ... see where I am going?...
  • Options
    Backups aren't just about disaster recovery, they are more about archive and retention.
    These days HA and DR are built into the design (if done properly). Backups are more about being able to restore back to a point in time in the event of something needing to be bought back.

Completely up to date now. It was a hard push.
    For those who haven't booked much lab time, book the full 4 hours.
    I was doing 1 hour blocks and found myself getting kicked out halfway through a lab.
    I also seemed to be loosing work I have done when this happens. It was rewarding as I was able to refresh and research fixing broken VM's, but it was a little annoying given the slow speed I get from here.

I noticed the last class got their vouchers right at the end of the course, so I would expect we wont get ours until mid July when the course is complete.
  • Options
    xordis wrote: »
    Backups aren't just about disaster recovery, they are more about archive and retention.
    These days HA and DR are built into the design (if done properly). Backups are more about being able to restore back to a point in time in the event of something needing to be bought back.

Completely up to date now. It was a hard push.
    For those who haven't booked much lab time, book the full 4 hours.
    I was doing 1 hour blocks and found myself getting kicked out halfway through a lab.
    I also seemed to be loosing work I have done when this happens. It was rewarding as I was able to refresh and research fixing broken VM's, but it was a little annoying given the slow speed I get from here.

I noticed the last class got their vouchers right at the end of the course, so I would expect we wont get ours until mid July when the course is complete.

Yea I first I was reserving the lab per exercise then I realized you can switch to the next mid reservation.
  • Options
    j23evanj23evan Member Posts: 135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So I just wrapped up all 18 labs, 7 quizzes, and checked out the 19th lab (or discussion rather), and I am thinking... Am I done? Fantastic Class, Lab environment is a little clunky but certainly gets the job done, and everything was very straight forward and easy to grasp.
    https://vWrong.com - Microsoft Certified Trainer 2013-2018 - VMware vExpert 2014-2018 - Cisco Champion 2018 - http://linkedin.com/in/j23evan/
  • Options
    HaswellHaswell Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    j23evan wrote: »
    So I just wrapped up all 18 labs, 7 quizzes, and checked out the 19th lab (or discussion rather), and I am thinking... Am I done? Fantastic Class, Lab environment is a little clunky but certainly gets the job done, and everything was very straight forward and easy to grasp.

Yep, your done. You don't have to do lab 19 and 20. Just up to lab 18.

Now you can start studying for the exam.
  • Options
    Is that it for labs then?
    I sort of assumed when the final 5 sections are released we might get some more labs and quizzes.
    It's a little far out to start studying for me I think.
    My attention span on studying for an exam is about 2 weeks I think icon_smile.gif
    From everything I am reading we wont get the discount voucher until the middle of July.

I do have a MS exam booked for the end of June so I might hit that one up first before starting on VMware.
    If you want a good resource that covers the exam prep try CBT nuggets VCP5 course.
    I found it very good when I went through it last year.
  • Options
    anyone having issues getting into the labs tonight? I cant get in... can you change the pod?Thanks
  • Options
    I'm in right now. No issues.
  • Options
    haven't been able to get in for two hours.. oh well sent instructor a note about it.
  • Options
    jalu6jalu6 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Anyone else have any trouble with Lab 5? (Creating a virtual switch)

V sphere is showing up in Evaluation mode with no Data centers or hosts, and when I try to reboot esxi-1, the root/vmware password doesn't work.

EDIT - Wait, I just got it. Everyone probably has their own lab environment, so whatever is screwed up is most likely my own doing. I guess that makes the question, is it possible to reset your lab environment to defaults so I can start over?
  • Options
    Looks like it's amateur hour at Stanley. Someone just logged on to my session, opened Notepad, and typed a message asking to save my because they are bringing the environment down for maintenance. Just when I was 5 minutes away form finishing lab 18. AARRGGG!!!
  • Options
    Labs still crapped out. From Huneycutt:

"We are experiencing some problems with Netlabs. I will let you know when it is available again."
  • Options
    so one you do quiz 7 you are technically done? you don't really even have have to do the labs do you?

those quizzes were very easy... missed three questions out of all the quizzes without even studying. I do work with esx4.0 already so have a background with it but surprised at how quickly you can get through all this.
  • Options
    BloogenBloogen Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Done all of the available quizzes and finished up to lab 12. I also went into https://vmware.stanly.edu/ and got all the goodies. 1 year vSphere and Workstation licenses etc as well as 1 year free on demmand training on Vmware.com and I got my 70% off exam voucher and bought it.
  • Options
    Did you use the same user and pwd? I can't get in there at all.
  • Options
    BloogenBloogen Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yup. Here's the official instructions:

If you would like a VMware eval license that is good for 1 yr, you can log on to http://vmware.stanly.edu

Your username is the same as your Moodle login, and the password is the same also. After you login, you will see a link on the left that says VMware Store. You can click that link and access the VMware store and purchase various VMware license and download them for $0.00.
  • Options
    Got that from the class, but doesn't work. I really hate the system they use.
  • Options
    ITMonkeyITMonkey Member Posts: 200
    Lots going on in the family, so I've fallen behind. I'll catch up this weekend, though.