Options

CCNA Study Group

Comments

• Options
    Magic JohnsonMagic Johnson Member Posts: 414
    I didn't. Just make it up. Try and configure and implement whatever you've been going over. You can always chuck other random stuff in to keep you sharp, like vty config etc.

Troubleshooting is mastering, but 9/10 a misconfig or a curious 'hmm what would happen if I did that?' always leads to some amount of troubleshooting anyway.

Always labbed AFTER the topic study though, I didn't initially, sort of did it half way through but knowledge gaps were a nightmare. Always after.
  • Options
    NetEsoonNetEsoon Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I didn't. Just make it up. Try and configure and implement whatever you've been going over. You can always chuck other random stuff in to keep you sharp, like vty config etc.

Troubleshooting is mastering, but 9/10 a misconfig or a curious 'hmm what would happen if I did that?' always leads to some amount of troubleshooting anyway.

Always labbed AFTER the topic study though, I didn't initially, sort of did it half way through but knowledge gaps were a nightmare. Always after.

Great... good to know, Thanks Magic Johnson!
  • Options
    StaunchyStaunchy Member Posts: 180
    I have to put my CCNP studies on hold for now icon_sad.gif Work needs me to 1st get Juniper JNCIS ENT and then Citrix Netscaler cert...
    2016 Goals: CCNP R&S, CCNA Security, CCNP Security
    LinkedIn
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    @Staunchy - thats a good delay, despite it being a delay.

I was thinking about picking up the Boson exam sim, but then I seen a discussion on the Cisco learning network that got me thinking I should just take the ICND1 for a few bucks more. If I pass, I pass. If I fail then I get the knowledge of where I am weak, exam experience and spend about the same amount as I would if I bought the Boson exams. The downside is you only get one run through on the exam, but the Bosons are unlimieted lol.

Something to consider.

I started a new job this week and actually helped fix a connectivity issue on a job site today. I then helped a coworker wrap his head around the purpose of subnet masks and gave him a high level overview of subnetting. Some of it sank in, but mostly it helped me realize I know this stuff better than I thought lol.
  • Options
    Agent47Agent47 Member Posts: 103
    I had an odd moment. So today, I was practicing some questions from Transcender and came upon this question:

Which of the following statements are true of Class C IP addresses? I thought, ok, this is easy.

The decimal values of the first octet can range from 192 to 223

The decimal values of the first octet can range from 1 to 126

The first octet represents the entire network portion of the address

The first three octets represent the entire network portion of the address

The value of the first binary place in the first octet must be 0

The value of the first two binary places in the first octet must be 11

I thought what in the world is going on with the last answer (I didn't check it so I got the question wrong)? What do they mean by this cause something isn't clicking here? I found this in a chart somewhere and had a laugh like wow, duuh! *eyeroll*.

Class A 00000000 to 01111111 0 to 127
    Class B 10000000 to 10111111 128 to 191
    Class C 11000000 to 11011111 192 to 223
    Class D 11100000 to 11101111 224 to 239

Let's just say I was up until 3 in the morning trying to setup a network on packet tracer and listening to Jeremy Cioara.
  • Options
    lol....they meant two 1's because binary (duh). But being human you and I read it as eleven.

I just ordered me some lab goodies in preparation for summer vacation :) 2x2950s, 2x1841s, DTE/DCE cable, cross overs, roll overs....should be here by next week!

Id like to set this stuff up in my basement and use an extra pc I have as the access method....but then I would need to run down there every time I want to get into another device and physically connect it.

Can I telnet from a switch>router and vice verse?

Any other ideas how to achieve remote access while still being able to hop from device to device?
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    --chris-- wrote: »

Any other ideas how to achieve remote access while still being able to hop from device to device?

Telnet works as long as your configs stay correct. Little changes could cause a lot of running around.

Expensive option is access server.

Run several cables back to your main machine.
    I have seen posts with several serial connections coming off a USB hub.

My setup is in the basement which is great for noise heat etc... I ran a console cable to my access server that connects to my routers and switches. Then I ran several network cables to my PC the switches so I can test various setups. More cabling then I needed but it was free from work and it makes it easier to play with.
  • Options
    I am glad I can come here and ask rookie questions, because I have a doozy.

I have been getting hung up on creating static routes, I always want to use:
    #ip route 20.20.20.1 255.255.255.0 f0/0

when setting up a static route. I use an address instead of network ID, every time and it breaks it every time. I am hoping making this post will shame me into remembering its the ID not an address.

To help me remember, can someone explain why it uses an subnet id instead of a IP as the destination?

edit: I am unable to ping the interface I setup in the static route. On the one end (Router1), I get this:
    00:25:46: IP: s=20.20.20.2 (local), d=20.20.20.1 (FastEthernet0/0), len 100, sending

On the other end, I get this
    00:25:46: IP: s=20.20.20.1 (local), d=20.20.20.2 (FastEthernet0/0), len 100, sending
    00:25:46: IP: s=20.20.20.1 (local), d=20.20.20.2 (FastEthernet0/0), len 100, encapsulation failed.

This is the output from the debug ip packet command. Any ideas?
  • Options
    davenulldavenull Member Posts: 173 ■■■□□□□□□□
    --chris-- wrote: »
    To help me remember, can someone explain why it uses an subnet id instead of a IP as the destination?

because fundamentally a router's job is to direct packets to a network not a host. It is a switch's job to then find the host on a network.
  • Options
    davenull wrote: »
    because fundamentally a router's job is to direct packets to a network not a host. It is a switch's job to then find the host on a network.

Makes sense. I forgot switches care about the particulars, routers just get things in the ball park.

Just need to figure out the above post RE: the DEBUG IP PACKET above.
  • Options
    7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi Guys

hope im not too late to join the group, i am returning to CCENT studies after around 12 months out with a pretty nasty illness, as i started studying before i got ill i have been through the ODOM ICND1 book already once and have a good amount of notes to go at, so i am re-reading the ICND1 and going over notes, i have revised the TCP/IP and OSI architecture and i am pretty comfortable with that and also Chapter 2 LAN basics and i am suprised to say i could remember a lot of that too (speeds, IEEE standards etc), so today is the 3rd day back and i am looking at Chapter 3 WAN basics, my strategy is 1 chapter per day for the purely theory work and then on chapters where labbing will help me retain the info possible 3 days, does this sound realistic?

Carl
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • Options
    7255carl wrote: »
    Hi Guys

hope im not too late to join the group, i am returning to CCENT studies after around 12 months out with a pretty nasty illness, as i started studying before i got ill i have been through the ODOM ICND1 book already once and have a good amount of notes to go at, so i am re-reading the ICND1 and going over notes, i have revised the TCP/IP and OSI architecture and i am pretty comfortable with that and also Chapter 2 LAN basics and i am suprised to say i could remember a lot of that too (speeds, IEEE standards etc), so today is the 3rd day back and i am looking at Chapter 3 WAN basics, my strategy is 1 chapter per day for the purely theory work and then on chapters where labbing will help me retain the info possible 3 days, does this sound realistic?

Carl

Similar to what I have done. Read the chapters during the week and lab 1-2x a week at night and on the weekends. Working for me (i think).
  • Options
    Alright so I am working on this again on my lunch, figured its time to post the configs for the two routers.

Router1
    ROUTER1#show runBuilding configuration...

Current configuration : 688 bytes
    !
    version 12.2
    service timestamps debug uptime
    service timestamps log uptime
    no service password-encryption
    !
    hostname ROUTER1
    !
    !
    ip subnet-zero
    no ip icmp rate-limit unreachable
    !
    !
    ip tcp synwait-time 5
    no ip domain-lookup
    !
    !
    !
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/0
    ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0
    duplex auto
    speed auto
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/1
    ip address 20.20.20.2 255.255.255.0
    duplex auto
    speed auto
    !
    ip classless
    ip route 20.20.20.0 255.255.255.0 FastEthernet0/1
    no ip http server
    ip pim bidir-enable
    !
    !
    !
    line con 0
    exec-timeout 0 0
    privilege level 15
    logging synchronous
    line aux 0
    exec-timeout 0 0
    privilege level 15
    logging synchronous
    line vty 0 4
    login
    !
    end

ROUTER1#

Router2
    ROUTER2(config)#do show runBuilding configuration...

Current configuration : 688 bytes
    !
    version 12.2
    !
    hostname ROUTER2
    !
    !
    ip subnet-zero
    !
    !
    ip tcp synwait-time 5
    no ip domain-lookup
    !
    !
    !
    !
    ip address 20.20.20.1 255.255.255.0
    duplex auto
    speed auto
    !
    ip address 30.30.30.2 255.255.255.0
    duplex auto
    speed auto
    !
    ip classless
    ip route 20.20.20.0 255.255.255.0 FastEthernet0/0
    no ip http server
    ip pim bidir-enable
    !
    !
    !
    line con 0
    exec-timeout 0 0
    privilege level 15
    logging synchronous
    line aux 0
    exec-timeout 0 0
    privilege level 15
    logging synchronous
    line vty 0 4
    login
    !
    end

ROUTER2(config)#

Anyone see a reasons why I cant ping from R1 to R2?

Edit: I just changed the routes so that i specified a next hop address instead of an exit interface, its still not working.
  • Options
    I got all my new gear today! But a rookie mistake on my part (no serial on my laptop and I didn't order a serial to USB adapter!!!) will postpone the fun until Monday when the part arrives.

I am still working on the above problem if anyone has an idea.
  • Options
    Welcome 7255Carl!!
    Thank you for joining our group! I hope all is well and that you are successful in achieving the CCNA! I think you should be up and running quickly if you can stick to a chapter a day and begin to remember/retain what you studied from before. It would be good to answer the questions after you read the chapters and maybe save the labs for later. It really is up to you as far as what is realistic or not depending on time and motivation.

Chris - So, I was setting up your scenario in packet tracer (heh, you guys were right, PT isn't half bad) complete with 2 routers and your configuration for each. I am beginning my labbing so hopefully this sounds like the right direction.

Ok,

So from what I notice, you have different different ip's for each interface.

R1
    fa 0/0 - 10.10.10.1/24
    fa 0/1 - 20.20.20.2/24

R2
    fa 0/0 - 20.20.20.1/24
    fa 0/1 - 30.30.30.2/24

I read this on another forum:
    To be able to ping, each router needs to know where the other routers belong. To be able to transfer packets BETWEEN each other they need to be interconnected on the same subnet so that packets can travel between the routers.

When I changed the ip address on R2's fa 0/0 port to 10.10.10.2 the ping worked flawlessly from R1. On fa 0/1 you have the 20 subnet. So on R2 I changed the ip address on the fa 0/0 port to the fa 0/1 port and the ping worked.

So instead of having your 10 network, I changed it again to the 30 network (eh trial and error yaaay! icon_rolleyes.gif). So now the config looks like:

R1
    fa 0/0 - 30.30.30.1/24
    fa 0/1 - 20.20.20.2/24

R2
    fa 0/0 - 30.30.30.2/24
    fa 0/1 - 20.20.20.1/24

Now from router 1 I can ping either address on router 2.

Notice IP scheme in this topology from this Cisco Article.

That's just my idea, but please if anyone else has a stronger solution/explanation do share. It's just how I got it to "work"

icon_study.gif
  • Options
    Agent47 wrote: »
    Chris - So, I was setting up your scenario in packet tracer (heh, you guys were right, PT isn't half bad) complete with 2 routers and your configuration for each. I am beginning my labbing so hopefully this sounds like the right direction.

Ok,

So from what I notice, you have different different ip's for each interface.

R1
    fa 0/0 - 10.10.10.1/24
    fa 0/1 - 20.20.20.2/24

R2
    fa 0/0 - 20.20.20.1/24
    fa 0/1 - 30.30.30.2/24

I read this on another forum:
    To be able to ping, each router needs to know where the other routers belong. To be able to transfer packets BETWEEN each other they need to be interconnected on the same subnet so that packets can travel between the routers.

When I changed the ip address on R2's fa 0/0 port to 10.10.10.2 the ping worked flawlessly from R1. On fa 0/1 you have the 20 subnet. So on R2 I changed the ip address on the fa 0/0 port to the fa 0/1 port and the ping worked.

So instead of having your 10 network, I changed it again to the 30 network (eh trial and error yaaay! icon_rolleyes.gif). So now the config looks like:

R1
    fa 0/0 - 30.30.30.1/24
    fa 0/1 - 20.20.20.2/24

R2
    fa 0/0 - 30.30.30.2/24
    fa 0/1 - 20.20.20.1/24

So what it looks like I did was assign the wrong IP to the interface on both R1 and R2. I decided that before I started building up the GNS3 topology all 'willy nilly' like I usually do I was going to actually plan this one out and spend 20 minutes before hand labeling routers, logically assigning IP's before hand just putting everything down on paper.

I think during this prep or during the actual build I flip-flopped the assignments. This thought did occur to me during the TS process and I thought I verified that I had this correct, but I think you are right. I will take down all the links tonight and rebuild it up with this new info and see what I get.

Thanks!!!!

As an update, I have found that my only weak areas are OSPF and IPv6. Everything else I have pretty solid. ACL's and NAT are good, IP routing is good, subnetting is very good....I am feeling like I am almost there!

I have been taking the practice test that comes with the Odom books, then using that as a guide and bouncing around his book filling in my weak areas. So far this has been working great! Using GNS3 when I need to see what & how a command works.
  • Options
    timesvan32timesvan32 Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi guys,

I am about to embark the CCENT journey and make a leap from CompTIA to Cisco. The resources I have so far:
    • Odom's ICND1 100-101 Book
    • Pluralsight CCENT vids
    • CBT Nuggets Jeremy Ciora CCENT 100-101 Vids
    • Packet Tracer
    • x3 1841 Routers and x3 2950 (Still need to buy cables and such)
    Is this enough to pass the CCNA as well? I will resume studying after this week.
  • Options
    7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi timesvan32

your material is almost identical to mine, and i think what you have will be more than enough for the exam, i also have the Todd Lammle book purely because sometimes a different explanation of something is enough to make it stick, i wish you the very best of luck with your studies, keep us posted.

Daily Study Update:
    Chapter 3 of Odom book complete, WAN Foundamentals. i have also created flash cards for the first 3 chapters, as for todays studies link speeds and basic HDLC seem to have stuck with me relitavely well, but a little extra work on a few definitions is on the cards for tonight, flash cards at the ready, best of luck to all with their studies

Carl icon_cool.gif
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • Options
    timesvan32 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I am about to embark the CCENT journey and make a leap from CompTIA to Cisco. The resources I have so far:
    • Odom's ICND1 100-101 Book
    • Pluralsight CCENT vids
    • CBT Nuggets Jeremy Ciora CCENT 100-101 Vids
    • Packet Tracer
    • x3 1841 Routers and x3 2950 (Still need to buy cables and such)
    Is this enough to pass the CCNA as well? I will resume studying after this week.

You have more then enough for CCNA. Now it's just time to get started.
    One thing I like to point out to people is that there is almost to much information available. If you keep looking for the next best resource you will never get started because there are so many of them.

Good Luck!
    Welcome to cisco
  • Options
    7255carl wrote: »
    Hi timesvan32

your material is almost identical to mine, and i think what you have will be more than enough for the exam, i also have the Todd Lammle book purely because sometimes a different explanation of something is enough to make it stick, i wish you the very best of luck with your studies, keep us posted.

Daily Study Update:
    Chapter 3 of Odom book complete, WAN Foundamentals. i have also created flash cards for the first 3 chapters, as for todays studies link speeds and basic HDLC seem to have stuck with me relitavely well, but a little extra work on a few definitions is on the cards for tonight, flash cards at the ready, best of luck to all with their studies

Carl icon_cool.gif

Bro, I will be here for a while! :D And I will keep you guys posted!
  • Options
    Magic JohnsonMagic Johnson Member Posts: 414
    How much IPv6 is covered in the ICND2? I can't really see anything that goes in to great detail about anything other than IPv6 routing.
  • Options
    Ultimate scrub/newbie question: How would I set up my lab for the first time? Seriously.

The equipment I am going to get soon:
    • x3 1841 Routers with 15.1 iOS
    • x3 2950s Switches with 12.4 iOS
    • 6 power cables
    • 1 crossover w/serial-to-USB converter
    • 4 CAT6 patch cables
    • Several crossover cables
    1. Download PuTTy on my laptop
    2. Connect the console cable to one of the Router's console port to my laptop USB port
    3. ??
    4. ??
    5. ??
  • Options
    1. Download PuTTy on my laptop
    2. Connect the console cable to one of the Router's console port to my laptop USB port
    3. ??
    4. ??
    5. ??

So two things. First when you get it you won't know what to do with it. That's common. Second once you figure out what to do with it you will wonder what to do with it. That is also common!

Seriously just take it one step at a time. Pick a device power it up. Connect the console and make sure it boots. A lot of used equipment comes configured to boot in the password recover mode. This is a good thing because it gets you troubleshooting right away.

Once all of the devices are turned on and working then you can start working on connecting them. Straight thru to a switch or crossover to a router. This is where picking up a lab guide will give you focus. Not required but sure helps give you some direction.

Good Luck
  • Options
    Im stumped. I am thinking maybe there is something about the image I am using. This is setup exactly as you described, correct?
    ROUTER1#show confUsing 728 out of 57336 bytes
    !
    version 12.2
    !
    hostname ROUTER1
    !
    enable secret 5 $1$PH/.$uvOKN/WD2zbqd1XW528440
    !
    ip subnet-zero
    !
    !
    ip tcp synwait-time 5
    no ip domain-lookup
    !
    !
    !
    !
    ip address 30.30.30.1 255.255.255.0
    duplex auto
    speed auto
    !
    no ip address
    duplex auto
    speed auto
    !
    ip classless
    ip route 30.30.30.0 255.255.255.0 FastEthernet0/0
    no ip http server
    ip pim bidir-enable
    !
    !
    !
    line con 0
    exec-timeout 0 0
    privilege level 15
    logging synchronous
    line aux 0
    exec-timeout 0 0
    privilege level 15
    logging synchronous
    line vty 0 4
    password ccna
    login
    !
    end

ROUTER1#
    ROUTER2#show conf
    Using 728 out of 57336 bytes
    !
    version 12.2
    !
    hostname ROUTER2
    !
    enable secret 5 $1$8DDL$C9qZ0X7v8BPJ0u.zikUys/
    !
    ip subnet-zero
    !
    !
    ip tcp synwait-time 5
    no ip domain-lookup
    !
    !
    !
    !
    ip address 30.30.30.2 255.255.255.0
    duplex auto
    speed auto
    !
    no ip address
    duplex auto
    speed auto
    !
    ip classless
    ip route 30.30.30.0 255.255.255.0 FastEthernet0/0
    no ip http server
    ip pim bidir-enable
    !
    !
    !
    line con 0
    exec-timeout 0 0
    privilege level 15
    logging synchronous
    line aux 0
    exec-timeout 0 0
    privilege level 15
    logging synchronous
    line vty 0 4
    password ccna
    login
    !
    end

ROUTER2#

I find it is easier to spot a bad config after its been posted to a public forum....lol.
  • Options
    Alright, so I swapped out images and built this real quick. Same results, can not ping either host.
    edited

I had posted a couple show configs commands here, but I realized I forgot to add the physical links, which is why this one was not working. At this point, I think there is something wrong with the image I was using. I am going to apply this setup to the old image and see what happens.

edit #2

I went and rebuilt this setup on the "old" image that I posed the show commands from above, and it still wont ping. Its the image. I dont know what is in it, but something is killing the ping.

At any rate, I have a functioning static route with the new image.

For those following along, there was a miscomunication in the above suggestion that Agen47 posted. He thought I was going from f0/0 (10.10.10.0) to f0/0 (20.20.20.0) which would be no bueno. However, I was going from f0/1 (20.20.20.2) to f0/0(20.20.20.1) in my original setup. He is still right, I just wanted to eliminate any possible confusion. The problem here was something in the image I was using (which is:
    c3725-i-mz.122-8.t10).

• Options
    Jon_Cisco wrote: »
    So two things. First when you get it you won't know what to do with it. That's common. Second once you figure out what to do with it you will wonder what to do with it. That is also common!

Seriously just take it one step at a time. Pick a device power it up. Connect the console and make sure it boots. A lot of used equipment comes configured to boot in the password recover mode. This is a good thing because it gets you troubleshooting right away.

Once all of the devices are turned on and working then you can start working on connecting them. Straight thru to a switch or crossover to a router. This is where picking up a lab guide will give you focus. Not required but sure helps give you some direction.

Good Luck

How many Serial DCE/DTE and crossover cables do you think I would need? I believe the 2950s and 1841s are set to auto-mdix, right?
  • Options
    How many Serial DCE/DTE and crossover cables do you think I would need? I believe the 2950s and 1841s are set to auto-mdix, right?

The 2950s are for sure.

As for the DCE/DTE's one for each router I would say.
  • Options
    Chris, I was having a similar issue, and the pings were being blocked by my antivirus software (Norton), I was going crazy because I couldn't find any errors in my config file, so I decided to disabled the antivirus for 15 min, just to test it out, and bingo, pings went through fine.

So here is my update... I'm almost done with Odom's book, I'm on chapter 27

I'm feeling very comfortable with subnetting, I'm practicing every day for about 15 to 20 min.

I'm watching CBT Nuggets videos, they are very good and I'm also listening to Chris Bryant's videos while I'm driving.

So the idea now is to Lab, lab and lab, I'm planning to finish Odom's book, and review Lammle's book, I think it has more activities and Labs than Odom's book, we will see.

Ok Guys, keep working hard!
  • Options
    Welcome Timesvan32!
    Thank you for joining us!
    For those of you who are beginning your labbing, I thought this packet tracer activity by danscourses.com covers most all of the basics of what you need to at least know how to do like:

• Basic setup of a router
    • Basic setup of a switch
    • IPv4 addressing and subnetting,
    • IPv6 addressing,
    • Basic network device configuration for routers and switches,
    • Basic network device access, security and encryption,
    • Secure remote administration,
    • Backing up network device configuration files to a TFTP server
    • VLAN setup and assignments

etc. etc.

For those who would like to try the lab, I challenge you to complete it on your own (if you can) for practice. Post your thoughts about it when you're done. The site also has videos on how to complete each step if you want to walk through it.

Download the Activity

View the Activity Videos for Step by Step Guidance

I am going to work on the activity tonight and go over IPV6. Feeling slightly discouraged about IPV6 though. I understand the basics (compression, bit length ect) but anything after that is hazy. Even watched the cbt nuggets intro and like halfway through it im like huh? Am I missing something? Meh.

Here I go again. Think im gonna crack open the book.

icon_cry.gif

icon_study.gif
  • Options
    Agent47 wrote: »
    I am going to work on the activity tonight and go over IPV6. Feeling slightly discouraged about IPV6 though. I understand the basics (compression, bit length ect) but anything after that is hazy. Even watched the cbt nuggets intro and like halfway through it im like huh? Am I missing something? Meh.

Here I go again. Think im gonna crack open the book.

icon_cry.gif

icon_study.gif

LOL, I'm feeling the same way about IPv6, I just finished reading Odom's book, but these last chapters about IPv6 were painful, I'm so confused even with the names, global Unicast, Unique local... blah, I will have to review this all over again.

Thanks for the Activity, I will try it out during these week, now that I have finished reading the book, I will start working hard on labs.

Good luck... By the way, do you have any idea about how much IPv6 is going to come out in the actual test?