Options

CCNA Study Group

Comments

• Options
    Agent47Agent47 Member Posts: 103
    Thanks NetEsoon, at least I know im not going crazy (yet) :). To be honest about the percentage of IPV6 on the exam, based on research from other forums, it varies. Some say they didn't see a single question others say there were a few. Looks like we simply have to tread through the quicksand and get the basics down.

What I plan to do instead is:

Study the IPV6 sheet

This seems interesting. IPV6 presentation.

Practice these flashcards

Then go back to the videos.

Thanks for wanting to do the activity, let us know how it goes.
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Agent47 wrote: »
    I am going to work on the activity tonight and go over IPV6. Feeling slightly discouraged about IPV6 though. I understand the basics (compression, bit length ect) but anything after that is hazy. Even watched the cbt nuggets intro and like halfway through it im like huh? Am I missing something? Meh.

Here I go again. Think im gonna crack open the book.

icon_cry.gif

icon_study.gif

I too decided to (re)tackles v6 this week. I read Lammles chapter on it again and watched the first 3 videos from CB this morning on the subject. I to think this is one of my weak spots. Like you said the compression and bit length is easy. I just got a good handle on recognizing the prefixes (link local, global, etc) at this point. I can say once you recognize them, determining the network|subnet|host portion of the address becomes easier. Also really understanding EUI-64 and how those addresses are produced is very useful when trying to get comfortable with v6. I have a great handle on EUI-64 now if you want an overview of it, I am willing to post one up.

edit: I have 5 minutes, I can do a quick run down on EUI-64/Stateless autoconfig. I know explaining this stuff really helps me nail it down and point out my weak spots. If any of this is "off" please let me know!

So the process starts with the the host device sending a router solicitation (RS) looking for a router to give it a global prefix (the first portion of the address, IE: 2001:1111:2222:). It then takes that prefix and adds it to the host portion (this is where the EUI-64) comes in.

The host portion is created by taking its MAC address (AA:BB:CC:11:22:33 = 48 bit) and adding a FFFE right in the middle of it (so it now becomes: AA:BB:CF:FF:EC:11:22:33, which now = 64 bits). Its not quite done yet. There is one more step in EUI-64 address creation. You MUST invert the 7th bit in the address (if its a 1, make it a 0...if its a 0 make it a 1). To do this you have to convert the first portion of the address (the "AA" portion in this example). AA converted to decimal is 00100010. The 7th bit here is a one, which we will now invert to a 0. So this now becomes a 0010 0000 or A0.

So the full EUI-64 address from this example is 2001:1111:2222:0001:A0BB:CFFF:EC11:2233.

One last thing I omitted during this explanation is the 4th octet. Where did that come from? Thats the subnet portion of the this address. To help clear this whole thing up, I will summarize the address below:

Network portion: 2001:1111:2222
    Subnet portion: :0001
    Host portion (EUI-64 created this): A0BB:CFFF:EC11:2233

I just really got comfortable with this, so if some one that understands this better can give it a thumbs up/thumbs down that would be great.

Edit2: This is actually a concise reference on the whole stateless config subject as well. Very accurate and easy to understand.
    http://www.tcpipguide.com/free/t_IPv6AutoconfigurationandRenumbering.htm
  • Options
    Magic JohnsonMagic Johnson Member Posts: 414
    I'm not sure Odom's second book is laid out very well. The OSPF and EIGRP ipv6 chapters are very repetitve of the ipv4 chapters. And there is a lot of pages! Also the troubleshooting there's a lot of ICND1 stuff there too, instead of having a quick not so quick recap why not just say refer back to ICND1 book chapter blah. I'm getting increasingly bored and fed up, feel like this is really dragging on.
  • Options
    StaunchyStaunchy Member Posts: 180
    I'm not sure Odom's second book is laid out very well. The OSPF and EIGRP ipv6 chapters are very repetitve of the ipv4 chapters. And there is a lot of pages! Also the troubleshooting there's a lot of ICND1 stuff there too, instead of having a quick not so quick recap why not just say refer back to ICND1 book chapter blah. I'm getting increasingly bored and fed up, feel like this is really dragging on.

I thought you already written your ICND2 icon_lol.gif

Just push through the last few chapters, a lot remains the same the only real thing that change is the IP addressing. OSPF still uses a RID in a 32bit format etc. I just read through the chapters but didn't focus as heavy as I did with the IPv4 section because IPv6 you will mainly find on SP back-haul network. I am yet to come across a company that dual stacks IPv4 and IPv6
    2016 Goals: CCNP R&S, CCNA Security, CCNP Security
    LinkedIn
  • Options
    I know mate! I just feel Odom is repeating himself for clarity's sake, but really there's no need. It makes you skim and potentially miss info.

I'm really looking forward to the management section as that'll come in super handy for my job.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well I finished school and passed ICND1 almost two months ago. Life has been crazy and I have not managed to review for ICND2 at all since passing the first exam. I did watch some CCNA related videos but no labbing or serious reading.

To force myself to step up I am scheduling my exam for Monday July 21st. I feel like I'm only 70% ready so I better hit the books or I'm gonna be posting a pathetic score in a few weeks.

It is good to see this conversation is still going. I remember joining this conversation over the winter and figured the group would not be around by the time I was scheduling my exams. This time last year I had never touched a Cisco Router. A year seems so short but in studying tems that was so long ago lol.
  • Options
    timesvan32timesvan32 Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Jon_Cisco wrote: »
    Well I finished school and passed ICND1 almost two months ago. Life has been crazy and I have not managed to review for ICND2 at all since passing the first exam. I did watch some CCNA related videos but no labbing or serious reading.

To force myself to step up I am scheduling my exam for Monday July 21st. I feel like I'm only 70% ready so I better hit the books or I'm gonna be posting a pathetic score in a few weeks.

It is good to see this conversation is still going. I remember joining this conversation over the winter and figured the group would not be around by the time I was scheduling my exams. This time last year I had never touched a Cisco Router. A year seems so short but in studying tems that was so long ago lol.

Bro, it feels like I just graduated yesterday, standing up there shaking my Principal's hand while receiving my diploma.
  • Options
    Problem,

I am installing the driver for my USB 2.0 To Serial cable, but it's failing every single time. I have tried running the install as administrator, uninstalling the driver, rebooting my laptop, re installing the device, searching the forums, and so on. Nothing has worked so far. I have tried installing the driver before plugging in the cable, and that didn't work. Any help would be appreciated.
  • Options
    Finally received my lab! Here is the current setup so far. My dad and I constructed a rack out of wood to hold my equipment. Starting on Chapter 4 of Odom book atm.

http://i.imgur.com/XKD5Ropl.jpg
  • Options
    b_adl_yb_adl_y Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Everyone! I have been reading this forum "TecheXams" for a couple months now, but never noticed this thread. Wish I had, but I'm here now if you all will have me!

Been studying for the CCENT reading (barely) Todd Lammles CCNA book 7ed (out of date now) and watching/listening to CBTNuggets ICND 1. Also just got Chris Bryant's CCNA bootcamp. I have a few switches and routers (none IOS 15) and PT 6.1 (vr?). Hope I can help and bounce a few questions off you all here.

@timesvan32 - Hey I had some problems with my USB 2.0 to Serial cable adapter but mine was because my DVD drive decided to break right about then. I had to use another computer to copy it to a thumbdrive and then install it from that. Things I would check is whether your adapter is compatible to your OS. I read a couple people having trouble because their USB adapter (from Monoprice) wasn't compatible with Win 7 64bit. So maybe double check that, and then I would check your manufacturer's website for drivers there. Hopefully they have them online (mine didn't - hence the need to copy to a thumbdrive using another computer). Also see if you can try installing the cable onto another PC. Trouble is some of the USB to Serial adapters/cables are so cheaply made. GL!
  • Options
    timesvan32 wrote: »
    Finally received my lab! Here is the current setup so far.

Very nice. Someday I should post what I have.

Well it's been over a month since I have done anything cisco related. I am still sticking to my test date of the 21st. If I fail I deserve it and it's the price I'll have to pay! I hope to start taking practice tests tonight. This should give me a better sense of what I know and what I need to work on. With any luck I'll be a CCNA in 12 days.
  • Options
    DilenaDilena Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi all,
    Thought this would be a good place to make my introductions. I'm currently studying for the composite exam.
    Unfortunately I'm waiting for my 200-120 Odom book to arrive, so at the moment I'm using a borrowed 100-101 Odom book to study from!
    Lately I've been really focused on subnetting - trying to get that full understanding down and improve my speed, and I'm feeling fairly confident at the moment. I try and set aside 20 minutes a day on subnetting practice, even though from what I can tell, there are fewer subnetting questions on the composite exam than the separate ones.
    The other topic I've been working on is OSPF.
    Hopefully this forum will keep me focused and motivated (been lurking for a while)!
  • Options
    I've finished the book! Waaaa! It's only taken 6 months haha. Now comes the revision, I figure within 2 weeks I'll be certified.
  • Options
    I've finished the book! Waaaa! It's only taken 6 months haha. Now comes the revision, I figure within 2 weeks I'll be certified.

Which was this? Odom or Lammle?

My strategy when I finish the CCENT will be read both Odom/Lammles books while watching the other have of Chris Bryants videos. Then when those are finished go straight into the Boson sim exam to find weak spots and study hard on those. I would love to get this CCNA finished by the end of summer!
  • Options
    Odom ICND2. The longest parts are getting the concepts nailed down, that's why a chapter takes so long. The review of my notes is simply to shore up on the commands, 'gotchas' and detail, which doesn't take long at all and is mostly a case of memorising.

Going to run through every lab in Boson and try and achieve the objectives without looking at the command references.
  • Options
    VinnyCiscoVinnyCisco Member Posts: 176
    I just happened to find this thread and I wish I could have found it sooner. I finished the CCNA in June, and I am now moving into CCNP

Anyway, I am posting the following information just to share my experience and to hopefully help others out. I have been posting my experience on the CISCO CCNA Discussion forums, so I will just re-post what I shared there.

Now, just to be up front, I do have work experience in IT in the last 12 years, and I am deciding to move into the Networking path as I find it more challenging and fun. So it did help when it came time to study since I was exposed to most of the concepts for the last 10 years.

I started my studies in March 2014 and when I took ICND1 in May 2014 I scored 973. When I took ICND2 in June 2014, I made a perfect score. What is important though is that I passed regardless of score and that I had a firm grasp of how everything works in the Networking world.

For ICND1 What I used to study:

1 - Todd Lammle study guide.
    2 - Jeremys CBT Nuggets.
    3 - Train Signal
    4 - INE CCNA Bootcamp videos you can find free on Youtube.
    5 - GNS3 and Packet Tracer along with a great Lab Book I purchased from a company that sells used routers.
    6 - Various reading and finding more video on subjects through Youtube.

What I did two weeks prior to the ICND1 exam:

1 - Watched Keith Barkers CCNA Exam walkthrough videos.

2 - Created my own labs using subnetting and VLSM techniques. I did this everyday for two weeks. Every morning I would design a network on paper, pick a Class B address, and VLSM the heck out of it using different scenarios. I then ran those labs in Packet Tracer or GNS3 for verification. Along the way, purposely broke things in the Labs to see how things would be affected and how using Show Commands displays this info.

3 - Took practice exams 3 times a day until I was scoring 95% or better. All tests were random to avoid as much overlap on repeat questions as possible.

Tips for the ICND1 test:

1 - Know your subnetting. Have it down 100%. Anything less than a 100% understanding is not good enough in my opinion.
    2 - Practice creating VLSM examples until its boring. Take a class B address, give it a CIDR, and from there create a diagram with requirements.
    3 - Know your routing and routed protocols.
    4 - Know your show commands. Every one!
    5 - Study and enjoy it. You are only going to do well if you love what you are doing along the way. Don't stress. It's just a test. Don't flood your mind with worse case scenarios. Just picture having already passed and what it will feel like.

Now for the ICND2 experience.

It was a little harder for me than the 2nd test and it took more time, but I was surprised to get a perfect score. There were 5 questions that really made me think so I took my time with those, and of course the labs are time consuming. But I ended up finishing the test with 10 minutes to spare.

What I used to study:

1 - Todd Lammle study guide.
    2 - Jeremys CBT Nuggets.
    3 - Chris Bryant CCNA Boot Camp
    4 - INE CCNA Bootcamp videos you can find free on Youtube.
    5 - GNS3 and Packet Tracer along with a great Lab Book I purchased from a company that sells used routers.
    6 - Various reading and finding more video on subjects through Youtube.

For some reason, studying seemed easier for the second test. I can't explain why, but it only took a month. I originally set a goal of mid July but felt ready enough to give it a try, and passed.

One week before the test:

1 - Created my own labs and practiced heavy on Frame Relay, EIGRP, and OSPF.

2 - Went back and re-read everything in the Lammle book that I highlighted as important for the ICND2 section. Also took the practice exams in the back of the book.

3 - Watched the Keith Barker exam walkthrough series from CBT Nuggets.

4 - Went back and watched only videos with subject material I was weak on.

5 - Create and build a lab with every topic from ICND1 and 2. So everyithing from basic to advanced to get a refresher. This is important! I can't give away what is on the test, so I will only say... IMPORTANT to know everything from ICND1 as well.

Tips for the ICND2 test:

1 - Just like the last test. Know your subnetting. Have it down 100%. Anything less than a 100% understanding is not good enough in my opinion.
    2 - Practice creating some Frame Realy, EIGRP, and OSPF Multi Area lab examples until its boring.
    3 - Know your routing and routed protocols.
    4 - Just like the last test, Know your show commands. Every one!
    5 - And of course, Study and enjoy it. Keep your mind on the eventual goal. Don't get bogged down. You are only going to do well if you love what you are doing along the way. Don't stress. It's just a test. Don't flood your mind with worse case scenarios. Just picture having already passed and what it will feel like.

I hope this post helps in some way whether it be for gaining information or inspiration.

Now on to CCNP.

Good luck all!

VinnyCisco
    "Failure is the prerequisite of Success" - V. G.
  • Options
    Hi,

I just finished reading chapter 6, "Building LAN Switches? (I Believe)" in Odom's book. So far so good, the material has been closely related to Net+, but with more depth. I took the initial test before I read the chapter, and scored a 5/9. After reading the chapter, I took the chapter test again, and scored a 9/9, and no I did not memorize the answers beforehand. I believe I have a firm grasp on how switches deal with unknown unicast, broadcast, and multicast MAC addresses and known destined unicast MAC addresses. However, I am having trouble processing on how a switch filter a MAC address. If someone can break it down to me, that would be very helpful.

The rest of the chapter discussed CSMA/CD, VLANS, cable lengths, and Cisco hierarchy layers when designing LANs. I found the information to be informative and easy to comprehend. I will be moving onto the next Chapter once I watch Ross's CCENT Part 2 switching videos soon.

As for labbing goes, I am waiting for my crossover cables to be delivered. I will keep updating this post as I continue my journey into Cisco.
  • Options
    asegunloluasegunlolu Banned Posts: 38 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Anyone interested in a CCNA google hangout/skype study group?
  • Options
    However, I am having trouble processing on how a switch filter a MAC address. If someone can break it down to me, that would be very helpful.

Switches are layer two devices. They send and receive packets based on the MAC address.

As packets come into the switch they will record that source mac information in the mac address table.
    They refer to the mac address table to determine where to send packets.
    If an address is unknown it will flood it out all of the other ports.
    When a machine responds to that flooded packet it will learn of the source address and add it to the MAC table.

This is a basic description of the process. Is there something specific you are trying to understand? If you give an example of something you are not understanding we can try to break it down for you a little better.

Good Luck and keep posting.
  • Options
    Jon_Cisco wrote: »
    Switches are layer two devices. They send and receive packets based on the MAC address.

As packets come into the switch they will record that source mac information in the mac address table.
    They refer to the mac address table to determine where to send packets.
    If an address is unknown it will flood it out all of the other ports, except the one it received the packet on.
    When a machine responds to that flooded packet it will learn of the source address and add it to the MAC table.

This is a basic description of the process. Is there something specific you are trying to understand? If you give an example of something you are not understanding we can try to break it down for you a little better.

Good Luck and keep posting.

I added the bolded above. Its a minor point, but very important to realize. Also, I find this description to be very accurate.

I feel like I am ready for the exam. I took 105 Boson questions last night and scored 71%. Subnetting, summerization, NAT, OSPF configuration & terms, TCP/IP to OSI to DoD model, show commands, troubleshooting, how frames & packets move across networks....all of this is getting boring to study because I dont see anything new.

I think I am about ready....anything I might be missing?
  • Options
    NetEsoonNetEsoon Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    [QUOTE=
    I think I am about ready....anything I might be missing?[/QUOTE]

How about IPv6?
  • Options
    NetEsoon wrote: »
    How about IPv6?

Good question:

I know all the multicast groups (FF01:01 for all nodes, FF01:02 for all routers, FF01:05/6 for OSPF etc...). I understand the EUI 64 process and how it works. I understand how to truncate the addresses, and expand them afterwards. I know how to enable IPv6 globally and on the interface level. As for commands, most of them are almost the same as the IPv4 commands...the trick is remembering to put in the "IPV6" part when issuing them.

I cant remember much else off the top of my head. Anything else I should know?

edit:
    Things I knew, just not well enough to remember until I seen them:

Link local (like LAN only addresses) fe80::...
    Global unicast is exactly like it sounds, a global publicly routable address (like IPv4 public addresses right?)
    How anycast addressing works (based on proximity to the sender)
    Address autoconfiguration & how this works with EUI 64
  • Options
    Its booked!

Next Monday @ 10 am in a familiar testing center. A few more days till success!
  • Options
    Good luck bro! Go break a leg coming test day! Let me know on how you did!

As for the studying so far, I finished chapter 8 in Odom's book. I am going through Switch security settings in Packet Tracer at work since I am not at home where my lab equipment is. So far so good! I will keep updating this post!
  • Options
    Thank! I am skipping around the Odom book looking on each page for the "Key Points" headings and anything else that I don't remember. Maybe I will watch 20-30 minutes of the Bulldog series each night. On my lunches I do 10-15 minutes of subnetting just to keep it in my head.

Anyone know of a good summerization website, similar to how we use subnetting.net for subnetting?
  • Options
    VinnyCiscoVinnyCisco Member Posts: 176
    Anyone know of a good summerization website, similar to how we use subnetting.net for subnetting?

I used to picked random IPs out of my head and then summarize on paper. I would also do VLSM diagrams on paper and then build the labs around those diagrams for verification to make sure they were correct. It helped me when it came time for ICND1 and 2. And I still do it now with my CCNP studies.

Summarization gets really easy when you do it over and over. Eventually you can start picking it up without working it out on paper.

Good luck next week on the test.
    "Failure is the prerequisite of Success" - V. G.
  • Options
    PASSED!

I need to hit the IP data network portion of the objectives hard before moving on (it was my weakest spot), but I passed!
  • Options
    Congrats! Mean while, I am trying to crack down OSPF lol.
  • Options
    Congrats! Mean while, I am trying to crack down OSPF lol.

What part(s) are you getting hung up on?
  • Options
    I dunno yet. I guess when I am handed a OSPF scenario, then that's when I know I will be hung up. I know the common syntax to config it such as router ospf and "network" interface subcommand. It's brand new stuff for me lol.