Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    erp! Good to see you back. I hear you about the burnout. I'm trying to get through it myself.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Welcome back, erpadmin. Congratulations on taking down the 640. I am with you on the burnout factor. I did 72 cu's the first term, but that was during the slow season at work. This term, with the overtime and the demands of family / life, I'll be lucky to finish 32-36. Regardless, like you, I'm looking forward to seeing it done.

Well, back to normalization and relational algebra. icon_study.gif Never knew much about databases, and I feel sort of embarrassed to say it, but I'm actually enjoying learning about them. Ah, well.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Excellent1 wrote: »
    Welcome back, erpadmin. Congratulations on taking down the 640. I am with you on the burnout factor. I did 72 cu's the first term, but that was during the slow season at work. This term, with the overtime and the demands of family / life, I'll be lucky to finish 32-36. Regardless, like you, I'm looking forward to seeing it done.

Well, back to normalization and relational algebra. icon_study.gif Never knew much about databases, and I feel sort of embarrassed to say it, but I'm actually enjoying learning about them. Ah, well.

I am always amazed at how folks (not necessarily you, YE) think thirty-something CUs is considered tiny. I seriously doubt I could have done more than that with schedule I have.

I'm guessing you're using mySQL for that Database class? That is a great way to put that DB knowledge to use. We actually use mySQL to handle tuition payments. If you can master mySQL, it won't be difficult at all to go SQL Server or Oracle (whether you want to develop them or administer them). If WGU didn't focus the DB track for developers, I would have gone with that track, for sure.
  • Options
    JoshD779 wrote: »
    As for Project+, I've studied the Sybex pretty extensively, along with all of the material on the included disc, plus all of the uCertify exams. I'm scoring well with the Sybex material, but only mid to upper 600s in uCertify. I've seen questions that weren't included in the Sybex book, and some that lined up with LET1/ORC1. While going through uCertify, I got several questions on motivation theory, leadership styles, etc. Perhaps a bit beyond the scope of the Project+. It's my understanding that Ucertify is a bit more difficult than the actual exam so I feel with one more week to review, I should be fine......, I'm thinking.

I've found uCertify to be somewhat helpful, but a little weird and very slow. It literally averages 7 seconds for a page to change when you click the "next" button. Sheesh, what is this, 1996?

uCertify is great, believe me...but focus more on the chapter questions in the Sybex book. If you are weak on those, you are not ready to move on from the chapter.

The actual exam isn't terrible, but know the different processes and diagrams. And DEFINITELY know the lines of communication formula--I can't stress that enough. Seriously, you should be fine.
  • Options
    nhprnhpr Member Posts: 165
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I'm guessing you're using mySQL for that Database class? That is a great way to put that DB knowledge to use. We actually use mySQL to handle tuition payments. If you can master mySQL, it won't be difficult at all to go SQL Server or Oracle (whether you want to develop them or administer them). If WGU didn't focus the DB track for developers, I would have gone with that track, for sure.

Erpadmin is back! Most of us had assumed that you'd won the lottery, bought five thousand acres in the mountains of Wyoming, and planned to spend your days writing novels about a friendly chupacabra that helps distressed children... or maybe that was just me.

Anyhow, if anyone is interested in databases beyond just passing the WGU tests, I'd *strongly* recommend using PostgreSQL rather than MySQL. Postgres is just as free but, rather than being a database-like toy in the vein of MySQL, it's fully featured and adheres to the ANSI SQL standard a bit more closely.
  • Options
    Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I am always amazed at how folks (not necessarily you, YE) think thirty-something CUs is considered tiny. I seriously doubt I could have done more than that with schedule I have.

Yeah, I don't consider that a tiny amount, I was simply contrasting it with my first term from a burnout standpoint. I am feeling the effects of "all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy".

And yeah, I'm using mySQL for the course. My experience in IT had not previously extended to databases, so I am enjoying that aspect of it. I've also found myself enjoying the programming side of things. That's one of reasons I switched to Security from NDM: I wanted to experience some other stuff that wasn't what I'm used to doing, along with getting the Cisco certs.

This database course was actually the catalyst behind my capstone project. I didn't have a very good idea of what I wanted to do prior to taking this class. I now have a solid plan in place of what I'm going to do and the project I'm going to implement at work. I'm probably biting off more than I can chew, along with needlessly complicating it in the bargain. That said, that appears to be my modus operandi in life, so I guess at least I'm consistent.
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    I'm burnt out. But more so just bored/stressed. I've worked so hard the first two terms, I was passing a class left and right. I get to the third term and CCNA has taken so long to get. Almost 3 months. All I have left is CCNA Security, which seems easy after Security+ and CCNA, just need to brush up and take it. Then it's the Capstone and I'm done. Just burnt out and want to move onto something else.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I understand the burn out syndrome. I've had my Capstone almost done for about 2 months but have been working a lot of OT and also studying for my CCNA in my spare(lol) time. Finishing the capstone before the end of my term wont benefit me monetarily so I'm not in a rush so anything else that comes up pushes it to the back burner. I'm planning to get the Capstone done in the next week or 2 and be done with WGU so I can concentrate on more certs and finding a better job.
    I've mostly been spending a lot of time labbing stuff (CCNA and VMWare) and working.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    I know what all of you guys mean. I thought I hit my wall with my 640 fail. Between wifey, my mentor and my own motivations, no one would let me just quit, like I'm so used to doing. Now I am getting back on the horse with the remainder of my MS exams and am starting to have a plan for Tech Writing and Capstone. If I can get everything done before the end of the year, I get to drive to Atlanta and walk. Hopefully with all of you guys.

What's going to make me cry though is not when I walk, or touch a college degree with my name on it. What will make me shed a tear will be when I get an acceptance letter from a "real" B&M school that I got accepted into a MS/MBA program. That will be my real proof that WGU (with its corny owl for a mascot) is in fact a real university. I do like the owl concept...just not that owl. :)
  • Options
    Who all of us is going to be eligible to go to Atlanta in February? If there is a bunch of us it just might give me motivation to be there. Have to get together and have a TE night.
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i hope to drive to atlanta and walk so i need to get on the ball only have 5 ms classes left tech/capstone (i really count those as 1 class)
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    never2latenever2late Member Posts: 122
    Who all of us is going to be eligible to go to Atlanta in February? If there is a bunch of us it just might give me motivation to be there. Have to get together and have a TE night.

I'm one of the crowd graduating Feb 0f 2012. Finishing Project+ now and then the Capstone\tech writing for my LAST semester and end it with the CCNA security. Goal is to finish by November and then use the remaining time taking some of the MS server certs on my own time.
  • Options
    I know what all of you guys mean. I thought I hit my wall with my 640 fail. Between wifey, my mentor and my own motivations, no one would let me just quit, like I'm so used to doing. Now I am getting back on the horse with the remainder of my MS exams and am starting to have a plan for Tech Writing and Capstone. If I can get everything done before the end of the year, I get to drive to Atlanta and walk. Hopefully with all of you guys.

What's going to make me cry though is not when I walk, or touch a college degree with my name on it. What will make me shed a tear will be when I get an acceptance letter from a "real" B&M school that I got accepted into a MS/MBA program. That will be my real proof that WGU (with its corny owl for a mascot) is in fact a real university. I do like the owl concept...just not that owl. :)

BTW, welcome back. The boards seemed a little quiet while you were on hiatus. Congrats on the MS cert and keep it going. We are all behind you and your eventual success.
  • Options
    nhpr wrote: »
    Erpadmin is back! Most of us had assumed that you'd won the lottery, bought five thousand acres in the mountains of Wyoming, and planned to spend your days writing novels about a friendly chupacabra that helps distressed children... or maybe that was just me.

If I ever win the lotto for a significant amount, I'm going to make this happen (at least some of it...). LOL. I'll still make it a point to be around though.... :D

If things go the way it should, I should be able to get to Atlanta a day before commencement. I plan on spending a couple of days in Atlanta and I plan on painting that town red and perhaps blue and gold....lmao. I would definitely want company from folks who helped me make graduation possible.
    never2late wrote: »
    BTW, welcome back. The boards seemed a little quiet while you were on hiatus. Congrats on the MS cert and keep it going. We are all behind you and your eventual success.

During my hiatus, I did get proficient in learning on to use my new Samsung Droid Charge. I made it so that I can at least read TE when I'm not at home or work. Only thing I don't like about Android is that it is a PITA to do a screen capture and copy and paste. However, it is very powerful for stuff like VPN (set up on my phone) and tethering (I use easytether...more straightforward for VPNing in...and I put my middle finger up to VZW for trying to get me to spend $20 when $9.99 one time would do). One of the app's I finally got to install was PocketWGU. The widget is on my home screen, so it forces me to get back to business whenever I'm down or not doing anything. That's also why I changed my avatar to the current state of my progress.

In any event, thanks man, and as I've said I'm glad that you and everyone else is progressing to graduation. Lets make a TE representation in Atlanta happen!
  • Options
    someuser23someuser23 Member Posts: 103
    Does anyone know a way I can bypass the application fee and take the assessment test to see if I will get accepted? I'm saving up to get a little place and I'm really low on cash.

Please don't ban me over this but I really interested in going back to school.
    Ribs still touching....
  • Options
    never2late wrote: »
    I'm one of the crowd graduating Feb 0f 2012. Finishing Project+ now and then the Capstone\tech writing for my LAST semester and end it with the CCNA security. Goal is to finish by November and then use the remaining time taking some of the MS server certs on my own time.

I'm with you... hopefully just CCNA Security and Tech/Cap. BTW Security is easier I think than CCNA. If you did Security+ it's just that over again with CCNA added on.
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just got my first task unlocked for HHT1.

I'm not quite sure I understand the reasoning behind making IT students write APA styled papers for a Finite Math course from the perspective of a middle school teacher...

Oh well, it doesn't seem to be that difficult of an assignment at least.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    Does anyone know a way I can bypass the application fee and take the assessment test to see if I will get accepted? I'm saving up to get a little place and I'm really low on cash.

Please don't ban me over this but I really interested in going back to school.

check your pms
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    . . .
    Anyhow, if anyone is interested in databases beyond just passing the WGU tests, I'd *strongly* recommend using PostgreSQL rather than MySQL. Postgres is just as free but, rather than being a database-like toy in the vein of MySQL, it's fully featured and adheres to the ANSI SQL standard a bit more closely.

I understand the preference for Postgres, but. . . it's almost like the VHS vs. Beta argument (if you go back that far). MySQL has become SO common in certain circles, people will gravitate to it first. That Oracle owns it currently adds extra incentive.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    nhprnhpr Member Posts: 165
    petedude wrote: »
    I understand the preference for Postgres, but. . . it's almost like the VHS vs. Beta argument (if you go back that far). MySQL has become SO common in certain circles, people will gravitate to it first. That Oracle owns it currently adds extra incentive.

I agree that MySQL is common, but it's much easier to learn with Postgres and be able to transfer that knowledge to other databases. If you learn with MySQL you might get a bit too used to how permissive it is with queries. If you start a project (or start learning) with MySQL and transition over to something like Oracle, then you'll have a little trouble then learning how to do things more "correctly."PostgreSQL was just a suggestion for people who want to work with beefy databases containing billions of records for a living; if you just want something to keep track of your company softball team's stats or administer small business websites (who don't mind the occasional write to /dev/null), then MySQL will be fine.
  • Options
    I'm with you... hopefully just CCNA Security and Tech/Cap. BTW Security is easier I think than CCNA. If you did Security+ it's just that over again with CCNA added on.

That's surprising. Expected it to be difficult since its the last cert in line to graduation.

Plan to take the Project+ exam before Aug 5, so it is in essence just the Cap\TW and CCNA security. My mentor is allowing me to take the writing courses first and the security cert as my last class.
  • Options
    I agree that MySQL is common, but it's much easier to learn with Postgres and be able to transfer that knowledge to other databases. If you learn with MySQL you might get a bit too used to how permissive it is with queries. If you start a project (or start learning) with MySQL and transition over to something like Oracle, then you'll have a little trouble then learning how to do things more "correctly."PostgreSQL was just a suggestion for people who want to work with beefy databases containing billions of records for a living; if you just want something to keep track of your company softball team's stats or administer small business websites (who don't mind the occasional write to /dev/null), then MySQL will be fine.

I think it's important to learn whatever RDMBS you can get your hands on, be it mySQL, PostgreSQL, Microsoft SQL Server 200x, or Oracle. I have had to support two of the above 4. There could come a time in my career where I might have to deal with Oracle or DB2. Maybe it'll happen, maybe it won't, but learning any flavor of SQL will make a DBA's job easy. The SQL syntax in all of the above is akin to the various Spanish-language dialects (Dominican, Mexican, Puerto Rican, Ecuadorean, Cuban, etc., etc.) Yes, they all speak Spanish, but the dialects are very different and one word that might be harmless in one dialect might be very offensive to another.

The point is that as long as you learn the main language, picking up a syntax/dialect will be very easy.
  • Options
    shecklersheckler Member Posts: 201
    So if you only need like a month into a new term to finish up the degree will they let you pay a cheaper amount?
  • Options
    sheckler wrote: »
    So if you only need like a month into a new term to finish up the degree will they let you pay a cheaper amount?

If all you need is a month ask your mentor to extend your current term. They can give you an extra month if that's all you need. If you need another term they will prorate your tuition to the day you graduate. Still have to pay full price up front though.
  • Options
    shecklersheckler Member Posts: 201
    That's a pretty good deal, thanks.
  • Options
    Raidersfan81Raidersfan81 Member Posts: 124
    Took my first Webcam proctored exam today, which was the CLC1 and I passed it icon_cheers.gif

I was kind of nervous since it was my first time taking a webcam proctored exam and didn't know what to expect. I didn't have any issues and they didn't at any point stop my test or ask me to do anything.
  • Options
    If all you need is a month ask your mentor to extend your current term. They can give you an extra month if that's all you need. If you need another term they will prorate your tuition to the day you graduate. Still have to pay full price up front though.

Good to know. Have to weigh prorated tuition versus student discounted MS exams and study material. Also motivates me to finish the term as early as I can.
  • Options
    JoshD779JoshD779 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That will be my real proof that WGU (with its corny owl for a mascot) is in fact a real university. I do like the owl concept...just not that owl. :)
    That made me laugh in agreement and there are apparently lots of people who feel the same way. I saw on WGU's Facebook wall a couple of weeks ago that they acknowledged all of this type of feedback and it said they were re-examining the mascot design. We'll see, but it does look like a breakfast cereal character. And I like breakfast cereal..., and owls. Wrong combo for the school mascot, though. icon_lol.gif
    WGU BS-IT Network Design and Management

Complete: EWB, LAC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1, WFV1, INC1, INT1, TEV1, TTV1, HVC1, HVT1, TNV1, CLC1, TSV1, LET1, TPV1, ORC1

Que:
    AKV1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, MGC1, SSC1, SST1, ABV1, AHV1, AIV1,BHV1, BIV1, TWA1, CPW3
  • Options
    JoshD779 wrote: »
    That made me laugh in agreement and there are apparently lots of people who feel the same way. I saw on WGU's Facebook wall a couple of weeks ago that they acknowledged all of this type of feedback and it said they were re-examining the mascot design. We'll see, but it does look like a breakfast cereal character. And I like breakfast cereal..., and owls. Wrong combo for the school mascot, though. icon_lol.gif

There was uproar in the Linkedin group too. WGU's media department acknowledged that they will be doing a round 2.
  • Options
    JourdshJourdsh Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nobylspoon wrote: »
    I just got my first task unlocked for HHT1.

I'm not quite sure I understand the reasoning behind making IT students write APA styled papers for a Finite Math course from the perspective of a middle school teacher...

Oh well, it doesn't seem to be that difficult of an assignment at least.

That is strange, hows the math is it much more difficult than BAC1?

LAE1 was super easy, LAT1 is kicking my ass. Mostly because I tried to force it to be as easy as LAE1.
    WGU Progress