Anyone ever deal with overseas jobs with the company Vectrus?

Comments

• LittleBITLittleBIT Member Posts: 320 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Expect a 9 month wait time. But well worth the wait.
    Kindly doing the needful
  • quickman007quickman007 Member Posts: 195
    I saw someone mention the hours are 5x12. Can anyone confirm this? 60 hours is a long week.
    Depends where you land. Iraq is 60/hrs a week, 56 in Kuw and Afg. Depends how big the shop is or how small. Answer is - it depends. Could be 6/10's, 7/8's or straight 12's if understaffed.
    Kindly doing the needful
  • Kenny23692Kenny23692 Member Posts: 31 ■■■□□□□□□□
    depends on ur job and where ur located at. I know some people working 12's 7 days a week, while some work only 5 days.
    So basically, ull be working over 50hours a week and any position.
  • mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Anyone apply with just a Security+ cert? Thinking about taking a Server+ since it qualifies as a CE for some positions, but it doesn't have much value outside of DoD.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Honestly, most of the CompTIA certs have little value outside DoD. About the only one I've seen in non-DoD job postings has been the A+.

Anyway the Security+ is just or IAT 8570 baseline requirements, as far as I know it's good for helpdesk and ADP jobs if you have no other certs. To get SA, NA, or IA jobs, you would need additional certs, not all of them from CompTIA, depending on the position you want to apply for.
    mikey88 wrote: »
    Anyone apply with just a Security+ cert? Thinking about taking a Server+ since it qualifies as a CE for some positions, but it doesn't have much value outside of DoD.
  • DonklanderDonklander Member Posts: 47 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've been in Kuwait a bit over 3 months with the company, so a bit of my experience.

Pros:
    Good Pay

Really LIGHT workload (At least where I'm at)
    -I have plenty of time to study and normal internet while at work.

Living area is not bad whatsoever and the gym is doable.

Also appears fairly easy to move around the contract, provided you meet the requirements.

Cons:
    From what I've seen, there is a LOT of complacency. I don't want to go on too much, bust some of the techs are either embarrassingly lazy or knowledgeable about their own network. Be it Network, OSP, Systems, etc.

Long hours, but I have no problem. What else am I gonna do out here?

There's a fine line having to ride between following the contract and doing the customer's (military) work for them. And it's a pain with so much bureaucracy (sometimes necessary sometimes not)

All in all, for someone who is somewhere in their "mid career", this is a fantastic opportunity. I don't see myself leaving for a few years.
    Donklander wrote: »
    I've been in Kuwait a bit over 3 months with the company, so a bit of my experience.

Pros:
    Good Pay

Really LIGHT workload (At least where I'm at)
    -I have plenty of time to study and normal internet while at work.

Living area is not bad whatsoever and the gym is doable.

Also appears fairly easy to move around the contract, provided you meet the requirements.

Cons:
    From what I've seen, there is a LOT of complacency. I don't want to go on too much, bust some of the techs are either embarrassingly lazy or knowledgeable about their own network. Be it Network, OSP, Systems, etc.

Long hours, but I have no problem. What else am I gonna do out here?

There's a fine line having to ride between following the contract and doing the customer's (military) work for them. And it's a pain with so much bureaucracy (sometimes necessary sometimes not)

All in all, for someone who is somewhere in their "mid career", this is a fantastic opportunity. I don't see myself leaving for a few years.

Do you work site level or Swacc?
    Kindly doing the needful
  • xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466

Cons:
    From what I've seen, there is a LOT of complacency.

Every time I meet someone that says they did InfoSec for (insert 90% of companies)in the middle east...

104b679f9ac62a5809968628e593b7ee.jpg
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • Press ANY KeyPress ANY Key Member Posts: 25 ■■□□□□□□□□

Pros:
    Good Pay

Without giving away too much info, what do you do for Vectrus?

When I was there, Vectrus was one of the lowest paying contracting companies in the region. There was a mass exodus of people every other month. They couldn't keep people at all. Once people figured out that IMOs were making about 40-50k more than us, to do less work, it was obvious why people were leaving.

It is good to hear that your workload is light. Hopefully, you have a decent manager that you get along with.
  • JasonTTJasonTT Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just wondering if Vectrus will take taxes out if I'm working in Afghanistan. Ive read a few different things about the war zone tax exemption, Not sure If ill have to claim it all later when I file after the year deployment...

Any info is appreciated...

When I was there, Vectrus was one of the lowest paying contracting companies in the region. There was a mass exodus of people every other month. They couldn't keep people at all. Once people figured out that IMOs were making about 40-50k more than us, to do less work, it was obvious why people were leaving.

It is good to hear that your workload is light. Hopefully, you have a decent manager that you get along with.

Vectrus still kinda is.

But hey, 6-figs is still 6-figs.

If you put in the time and work, you'll get picked up or atleast have the experience to apply for another position with better companies like GDIT, ARMA, etc.
    Kindly doing the needful
    LittleBIT wrote: »
    Vectrus still kinda is.

But hey, 6
    Or companies like Amazon Japan or Google. I personally know two individuals who made it there. An NA went on to Amazon Japan after about like a dozen interviews, and an IA went on to Google for an IT security job.

It's all about what you make of your current situation.
    Vectrus still kinda is.

If you put in the time and work, you'll get picked up or atleast have the experience to apply for another position with better companies like GDIT, ARMA, etc.
    Site level. Trying to get those certs now to get to SWACC.

I was making just a tad under 60k at my previous employment.
    6 figures, mostly tax free, with living provided to someone who recently left the Army is about as good as money as a sane person could expect!

I read this thread before I came over here and sort of knew that Vectrus would be on the "low end" for contracting over here. But it seems to also be the easiest way to get here in the first place.
    Vectrus still kinda is.

True indeed but nobody wants to feel cheated either. I worked my tail off while I was there but management could care less. As long as they had someone sitting in that chair, we were largely ignored.

There are some benefits to working for Vectrus though. $1500 a year towards certs and picking up a clearance made my time there worth it.
    Awesome. That sounds like a good bump up from what you were making before with taxes taken out. Make the most of your time there and keep moving up.
  • alanclarc143alanclarc143 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for sharing with us, this wonderful information.
    Guys,
    Which of the following certs will be the easiest to obtain for a computing environment (CE) requirement. Looks like server+ to me?

11.jpg 59.1K
    22.PNG 87.3K
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

Hehe Server+. I'm working on it myself right now, for that very reason. So far, it looks to be a glorified A+ certification. Not that I am taking it lightly, one still has to get 750 out of 900 to pass, so I want to be sure I knock it out.
    After that I will update my antiquated MCSA 2003 to an MCSA 2012 followed by the exam to convert MCSA 2012 to 2016.
    mikey88 wrote: »
    Guys,
    Which of the following certs will be the easiest to obtain for a computing environment (CE) requirement. Looks like server+ to me?
  • 518518 Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mikey88, where and how long ago is that list? even in 2011, never heard a contractor that only requires server+

TE, I just posted a few job opportunities..should have done weeks ago.

Yes, there are a lot of complacent contractors overseas. Especially who have been doing this for decades. But, it's what you make of it.
    Every time I meet someone that says they did InfoSec for (insert 90% of companies)in the middle east...

104b679f9ac62a5809968628e593b7ee.jpg

HAHA, especially those so called "IA" guys.
    Ertaz wrote: »
    Can you get one of these jobs without having a CE cert?

You have a CISSP, why not apply for a Cybersec slot? Your CCNA is a CE cert.
    I saw someone mention the hours are 5x12. Can anyone confirm this? 60 hours is a long week.

in 2011, if you work for companies like Lockheed, GDIT, Boeing in Afghanistan, you're a 72-hour workweek. With 72hr workweek, $200-240k easy. You can still have these money if you go to Iraq (NOT with Vectrus) with a per hour pay rate of $45.00.

Also, the higher your clearance (SCI) required to perform your job, the higher the pay.

Vectrus/ITT/Exelis back then was 60-hr workweek. Fastforward to money has dried out, Vectrus in Afganistan is only 56hours:

Network Admin: $26/hour base pay ($54k/year) x 70% ($37k) uplift on first 40hours. Your 16 hours is straight pay ($21k). That puts you to $112k per year where first $102k is tax free.

If you are thinking about joining or you are with Vectrus in Afghanistan or Kuwait, you can do better by joining my team in Africa. You can have alcohol legally, living condition is much better, easy access to Europe, Thailand, and Dubai.
  • Shuaib2016Shuaib2016 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    518 wrote: »
    in 2011, if you work for companies like Lockheed, GDIT, Boeing in Afghanistan, you're a 72-hour workweek. With 72hr workweek, $200-240k easy. You can still have these money if you go to Iraq (NOT with Vectrus) with a per hour pay rate of $45.00.

Also, the higher your clearance (SCI) required to perform your job, the higher the pay.

Vectrus/ITT/Exelis back then was 60-hr workweek. Fastforward to money has dried out, Vectrus in Afganistan is only 56hours:

Network Admin: $26/hour base pay ($54k/year) x 70% ($37k) uplift on first 40hours. Your 16 hours is straight pay ($21k). That puts you to $112k per year where first $102k is tax free.

If you are thinking about joining or you are with Vectrus in Afghanistan or Kuwait, you can do better by joining my team in Africa. You can have alcohol legally, living condition is much better, easy access to Europe, Thailand, and Dubai.

which team in Africa? sounds like a better opportunity!
  • PalwashaPalwasha Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Daniel

I am going for an interview for one of the IA position, can you guide or tell me what should I study? Thanks for your help.

Sean
    518 wrote: »

PM sent. Sign me up for anywhere. Africa sounds fun. Where are you at?
    Kindly doing the needful
  • NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Also sent a PM... very intrigued
    O
    /|\
    / \
    60hrs sounds like alot until you work 7x16 (112hrs) on a fishing boat like I did a long time ago. sleeping.gif

Anyways, I had my Tech interview Tuesday for Service Desk, now waiting to hear back from them.