Options

Anyone ever deal with overseas jobs with the company Vectrus?

Comments

• Options
    devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Kenny23692 wrote: »
    Ya I know that but when taxes come around I'm still going to get hit. Since Cali is ridiculous state. How does the license come into plat
    Having a license from some states is the beginning to establishing residency.
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The easy way to establish residency in a state is to physically be there and mentally state "this is my home". Unfortunately, some states, not liking the loss of tax revenue will demand a bit more proof, for instance:

- A drivers license in the new state
    - Registering to vote in the new state
    - A bank account in the new state
    - Have mail directed to the new state, including things like certifications
  • Options
    518518 Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Kenny23692 wrote: »
    Wait what? That's the other reason I'm working over here.
    So if u are a Cali resident but have a different states driver's licenses, you dont have to pay taxes? What do I need to do on my end to make that happen?
    All you need to do is find a friend in another state. Go to the DMV on that state, take the written exam. That is the workaround. Having a driver's license proves to People's Republic of Kalifornia that you have established a "home" in another state. There is no other workaround, you cannot just have your employer change state withholding..that will not work. Even worst if you have a property in California. Trust me, been doing this since 2011. FTB of California will find you and you will be slapped with a surprise and hefty penalty...dont mess with FTB.
  • Options
    mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Just finalized and submitted my SF86 9/11. Took me a while to gather all the info. Hopefully it's smooth sailing from now on.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• Options
    Shuaib2016Shuaib2016 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sstt wrote: »
    Once they contact your boss you will be contacted for a interview within a week or two, I went through this last month and received my interim a week after my interview.

Congratulations! how long it took to get your interim from the day you submitted your SF-86 to the day your interviewed?
  • Options
    ssttsstt Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would say i was interviewed 4-5 weeks after submitted and received my interim 2 weeks after my interview, I previously held a TS clearance. Not sure if that helped speed up the process.
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Well, I wouldn't consider jobs in Iraq or Afghanistan "expat" jobs, but certainly working in Kuwait or Qatar could be...
    Fulcrum45 wrote: »
    I didn't think it was going to happen but it looks like I'm ready for another contract. One more push to get some things paid off. This time around I'm more careful about where I go. I want to be in a country that isn't technically a war zone and that getting home is not a 3 week ordeal. People will knock Vectrus for all kinds of things but I can say because of them I have a Secret Clearance and experience as an expat. That counts for something.
  • Options
    Shuaib2016Shuaib2016 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sstt wrote: »
    I would say i was interviewed 4-5 weeks after submitted and received my interim 2 weeks after my interview, I previously held a TS clearance. Not sure if that helped speed up the process.

I think the fact you had a TS previously helped with speed up your process. I am a dual citizen and this is my first time getting secret clearance! so i guess i am looking at minimum 120 days to get my interim.
  • Options
    The investigators are contractors and are very unorganized. The first one that contacted me was based out of the zip code for where i currently work (30 miles away from my house) after a 4 hour meeting 30 miles away I was contacted a few weeks later for a follow up by a investigator out of Colorado Springs where Vectrus is located. I told him I lived on the East Coast... Then 2 1/2 weeks later I was contacted by a 3rd local investigator for a follow up in which i have had to meet with twice since then. Now today I was contacted by yet another investigator for another follow up meeting and when I asked him what exactly the issue was he said its not very clear on his paperwork and he would try to get clarification and contact me next week...
  • Options
    Wow that is definitely unorganized. I've heard that some applicants don't even get interviewed for the initial interim investigation. I believe it's all based on how complex your SF-86 form is and your record.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• Options
    alanclarc143alanclarc143 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Nice idea, to share his vies and skill. Nice sharing and I wish someone call you and give the opportunity to prove yourself.
  • Options
    Everyone gets interviewed, they grant you a Interim based on their initial findings. Then it its adjudicated (reviewed) for the final determination.
  • Options
    Just an FYI, the computing requirements (CE) can be different based on location. For example, Server+ is accepted for some positions in Kuwait/Iraq, but not accepted at all in Afghanistan.

While my SF-86 is swimming though the OPM Bermuda sea, anyone got their Interim recently?

• Options
    Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I must have gone through at the right time (Oct 2015). I had my interim in two weeks and my full clearance by Feb w/ no interview. I think I'm going to go do another contract just to keep it alive because it sounds like a huge pain in the rear to get one now.
  • Options
    dynamitexvxdynamitexvx Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Anyone currently at CRC? I was finally able to get a position with another country after having no luck with Vectrus
  • Options
    OverSeasContractor2017OverSeasContractor2017 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey All

I've been really considering doing some overseas contracts in war zones. I've heard that there is a lot of money to be made.

Just a few questions, are there a lot of senior network architect/engineer roles out in war zones like Kuwait? In the old thread, almost all of the mentioned positions were junior NOC or security roles. I'm a CCIE R&S/CCDE with about 10 years of experience so I'm looking for more senior roles. Also, they had mentioned that the living conditions were in shipping containers that you'd normally share a room with others. Can you pay for actual housing or anything? Or are you pretty much stuck in the shipping containers?

If anyone out there has some experiences overseas, primarily Kuwait, could you please provide some insight. Is the pay still high now a days or are those high paying overseas contracts pretty much non existent anymore. I'm over six figures now but if I can make even more out there then it's something I'd definitely consider.

Oh and I currently have a TS/Sci w/ CI poly so I'm wondering if there are jobs out there where I'd be able to continue to keep my clearance.
  • Options
    CiscoNetworkingCiscoNetworking Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Do you know if they have more senior level jobs overseas? I've been checking on clearance jobs and all i could really find are network admin positions. I currently have a TS/SCI and a CCIE R&S and CCDE and was considering doing some overseas contracts, primarily in Kuwait, so that I could save up some money. Are they still paying a lot for contracts in Kuwait? Just curious if anyone else has had any luck getting senior level positions overseas.
  • Options
    tuxedoturtletuxedoturtle Member Posts: 19 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There is a lot of information in this thread. I have read through and I am thinking I am late to get onboard with this company from the sounds of it but I have applied last month and not heard anything back. Was wondering if anyone had any tips or resources to get me through to a recruiter or inside resource? The only info I seen for that was if someone had already obtained security clearance which I do not yet have. I have applied for a few different positions from helpdesk to ADPE in Iraq and Afghanistan. Any help or additional information would be greatly appreciated
  • Options
    While you probably missed the "golden age", you're not too late for the game. Just apply through the companies' websites and follow up on your application. Even if you don't have a security clearance, there's a good chance you can get sponsored if your qualifications are excellent. Just. Try.

There is a lot of information in this thread. I have read through and I am thinking I am late to get onboard with this company from the sounds of it but I have applied last month and not heard anything back. Was wondering if anyone had any tips or resources to get me through to a recruiter or inside resource? The only info I seen for that was if someone had already obtained security clearance which I do not yet have. I have applied for a few different positions from helpdesk to ADPE in Iraq and Afghanistan. Any help or additional information would be greatly appreciated
  • Options
    Do you know if they have more senior level jobs overseas?
    I honestly haven't many senior roles from Vectrus. With your qualifications, it shouldn't be too difficult to land something overseas. Lookup these companies as well. Raytheon, Boeing, Lockheed, General Dynamics (GDIT), Northrup Grumman, SAIC, Booz Allen, DynCorp, L3, BAE Systems.

I have applied last month and not heard anything back.
    Lookup Vectrus recruiters on LinkedIn that are stationed in Kuwait.
    LordQarlyn wrote: »
    While you probably missed the "golden age"
    Hearing stories of the golden age makes me drool.

• Options
    safety1safety1 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So I worked in kuwait on the Logcap Contact for KBR bank in ‘05 - 07’... I applied to Vectrus online... I received a 1st interview (with 3 people on the phone), the very next day I was called for a second interview that includes the Country Managers of Iraq & Kuwait. Both interviews lasted 30-40 minutes. Lots of scenario based questions.. I’m not in information technology, I’m a Safety Engineer. My questions are...
    (A) having 2 interviews, what’s the likely hood of getting the job?
    (B) what are the current processing, salary uplifts, vacation schedules, etc.

Does anyone here know? Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    safety1safety1 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    wtrwlkr wrote: »
    I've only seen base pay quoted as hourly, not salary. In that case, the quoted hourly rate was before any upswing. The $110K salary sounds like that would include the upswing from my experience. I can't answer your specific question as I'm not a SysAd, but their technical interviews tend to not be that in-depth.

are you still employed with Vectrus overseas? I see your post was 2 yrs ago and wondering if the process is still the same as you’ve noted?
  • Options
    robt_1robt_1 Member Posts: 9 ■■■□□□□□□□
    safety1 wrote: »
    So I worked in kuwait on the Logcap Contact for KBR bank in ‘05 - 07’... I applied to Vectrus online... I received a 1st interview (with 3 people on the phone), the very next day I was called for a second interview that includes the Country Managers of Iraq & Kuwait. Both interviews lasted 30-40 minutes. Lots of scenario based questions.. I’m not in information technology, I’m a Safety Engineer. My questions are...
    (A) having 2 interviews, what’s the likely hood of getting the job?
    (B) what are the current processing, salary uplifts, vacation schedules, etc.

Does anyone here know? Thanks in advance.

I have been working for Vectrus for the past two years at three different locations. So, let me give you my two cents on your questions.
    A. For questions A, I would think your chances are real good considering you interviewed with two CM's. The CM's normally don't get involve unless there's a quality candidate in consideration.
    B. If you receive a job offer it's likely it would be contingent on you passing a medical ,dental examinations, as well as, a background check. Also, the successful completion of CRC.
    Uplift-- Kuwait- 0 , Iraq --70 %
    Vacation- base on location and hours work. For instance, in Kuwait you may have a 56 hrs. work week and receive 20 hrs. of leave per month and holidays, while in Iraq you may have a 60 hrs. work week and receive 16 hrs. of leave and 9.6 hrs. of holiday leave b/c you will are required to work on holidays.
  • Options
    I submitted SF86 9/11 and was just granted interim clearance 10/22. Quicker than expected, now just need to actually secure a position that I want because positions change frequently.

• Options
    Z0sickxZ0sickx Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For you guys that have done the overseas gig, for you personally did it help with your overall career? i'm interested in possibly applying for a position but not sure if its going to be career enhancing other then making a ton more money in the short term. I think my main motivation for considering something this off grid, is money and like the focused idea of work, eat,sleep, lift, study repeat.
  • Options
    It depends on what role you are in now and what you get hired for. Jobs tend to be highly specialized and you'll be working only on responsibilities you are certified for.

• Options
    Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Z0sickx wrote: »
    For you guys that have done the overseas gig, for you personally did it help with your overall career? i'm interested in possibly applying for a position but not sure if its going to be career enhancing other then making a ton more money in the short term. I think my main motivation for considering something this off grid, is money and like the focused idea of work, eat,sleep, lift, study repeat.
    In my particular case I feel that although it looked really good on my resume (most HR folks are impressed with people who go to work in a war zone) I regressed in terms of my overall IT skills. I was never really challenged as it was strictly Service Desk. If you're looking to start something you're certed for but don't have a lot of experience with, ie Sys Admin or Net Admin, this would be a good place to learn- but you'll need to learn quick. IF I go back it will be for a net admin position.
  • Options
    LittleBITLittleBIT Member Posts: 320 ■■■■□□□□□□
    To echo what Fulcrum said, the job can be stale after a while. It becomes repetitive taskings after you learn it. But the nice thing about Vectrus, is the ability to move up fast to new locations and new jobs. A NetAdmin I is now a Network Engineer. A Sys Admin became a IA, a Helpdesk Tech did both NA and SA and now works as a Vulnerability Analyst. You get what you put in. Working in Iraq, I will say has been good for the pocket, good for the health and good for the growth. I recontracted for a second year, may even do 3 years. If you come here and just sit on your A55, you will reap what you sow.

Good thing also, you make a lot of contacts in other area's and other companies. And you better believe you'll see the same people again.

If anyone has a secret clearance and wants a referral, touch base with me. LittleBit02135@gmail.com
    Kindly doing the needful
  • Options
    I'll third what the other two before me stated; it all depends what you put into it. Vectrus may be near the bottom end of DoD overseas contracting, but you can still gain a lot working for them. Especially if you are new IT and don't have a lot of experience. I've known Vectrus guys who availed every chance to learn, and they went on to big name companies such as Google and Amazon. Sadly I see most people there just doing enough to get by, letting opportunities for professional development pass by.
  • Options
    Z0sickxZ0sickx Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    LordQarlyn wrote: »
    I'll third what the other two before me stated; it all depends what you put into it. Vectrus may be near the bottom end of DoD overseas contracting, but you can still gain a lot working for them. Especially if you are new IT and don't have a lot of experience. I've known Vectrus guys who availed every chance to learn, and they went on to big name companies such as Google and Amazon. Sadly I see most people there just doing enough to get by, letting opportunities for professional development pass by.

Thanks, and to everyone else who chimed in..the only thing i see myself doing with this type of gig is work, eat,sleep, lift, study.