Options

Anyone ever deal with overseas jobs with the company Vectrus?

Comments

• Options
    518518 Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mikey88 wrote: »
    How hard is it getting to the airport/flying out from Iraq/Afghan?

If you are in Afghanistan, DFS and Aerotech flies out of Bagram and Kandahar. If you ever get assigned to one of the FOBs, that's where you get bumped...A LOT. Maybe it has changed, but they dont fly everyday...and when they do, expect to pay $1,000 R/T to Dubai. The $1,000 does not pay for your onward movement from Dubai.
  • Options

L-R: Helo ride to and from a FOB, bunker next to your tent, Bagram Nov 2011 after the mortar attack, Bagram parked bus by Disney Blvd direct hit.

It was an interesting deployment...
  • Options
    Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    How hard is it getting to the airport/flying out from Iraq/Afghan?
    It was end of contract and I was going home for good. Under ideal conditions I could have been home in about 10 days following the usual process- for me however, it took 3 weeks. When I made it to Bagram I was informed that contractors only had one flight out of Afghanistan a week. First flight was cancelled and I missed the makeup flight (it's a long story). I had to go back to transient housing for a week and stare at the ceiling. That week felt like the longest week of my life, lol. Once I got out of there I was in Kuwait for 4 days and then in Ft. Bliss for 2. The topper? My flight was late getting out of TX and I missed my connection in Chicago. Had to spend the night in a hotel before I finally got home early the next day.
  • Options
    atal2003atal2003 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How is living condition in Kwait? how much is pay for ADPE position?
  • Options
    OpenButClosedOpenButClosed Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    518 wrote: »
    If you are in Afghanistan, DFS and Aerotech flies out of Bagram and Kandahar. If you ever get assigned to one of the FOBs, that's where you get bumped...A LOT. Maybe it has changed, but they dont fly everyday...and when they do, expect to pay $1,000 R/T to Dubai. The $1,000 does not pay for your onward movement from Dubai.

Things have changed a little. You can fly out of Kabul so u dont have to get raped anymore by DFS. Tickets from kabul are around $400, so its not bad.
    Also ive never been bumped when coming or going to any one of the FOBs.
  • Options
    mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Shuaib2016 wrote: »
    I have just submitted my e-QIP on jun 5th. 2017. Do you know how long it takes to get the interim clearance? is there any interviews?

Any news on your clearance yet? I'm currently working on my e-QIP as well.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• Options
    Shuaib2016Shuaib2016 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Any news on your clearance yet? I'm currently working on my e-QIP as well.

Beginning of August , My manager at my current job has received couple letters from OPM asking him about me, so he filled out the letters and sent them back to OPM. They basically asked him whether I am a good person or not and if I am a trustworthy to work for the government . That being said, I have received 2 emails from VECTRUS asking if I am still interested in the position so they can proceed with my process. I think now days it takes 4 months minimum to obtain an interim clearance! so I am just letting it cook slowly! LoL
  • Options
    ssttsstt Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Once they contact your boss you will be contacted for a interview within a week or two, I went through this last month and received my interim a week after my interview.
  • Options
    Not sure why its taking so long for your interview.
  • Options
    I am in the process of doing my Medical evaluation to deploy to AFG, My BMI is 36 and I need to be at 35 or below to deploy (would have been nice for the recruiters to mention this before)

I will lose a few pounds and get to 35 next week and get re weighed....My question for anyone who has been through the CRC is do they weigh you again there?

If I'm over the 35 BMI will they send me home?

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    Dixielife84Dixielife84 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sstt wrote: »
    I am in the process of doing my Medical evaluation to deploy to AFG, My BMI is 36 and I need to be at 35 or below to deploy (would have been nice for the recruiters to mention this before)

I will lose a few pounds and get to 35 next week and get re weighed....My question for anyone who has been through the CRC is do they weigh you again there?

If I'm over the 35 BMI will they send me home?

Thanks in advance.

So I have been waiting all afternoon for my post to come up....I am basically in the exact situation as you are. I headed to Stan for the IAA position as soon as I get my weight taken care of. I was able to find a waiver labeled DA Form 5500 that took my measurements into account so I could get through due to the standard BMI calculations coming out not in my favor.

I am wanting to know the same thing you are, I have dropped a ton of weight to get to this point so if I happen to add a few lbs I dont want it to screw me over at CRC.
  • Options
    Thats crazy, I have been searching online for weeks now trying to find some decent pictures of how the living conditions and such are. Do you or anyone else have any more that they can share w/o compromising OPSEC?
  • Options
    devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thats crazy, I have been searching online for weeks now trying to find some decent pictures of how the living conditions and such are. Do you or anyone else have any more that they can share w/o compromising OPSEC?
    In Afghanistan? It all depends on where you end up.
  • Options
    devilbones wrote: »
    In Afghanistan? It all depends on where you end up.

Yea I understand that, I am just trying to get a baseline as to what to expect and pictures sink in a bit more. I know that we will not know where we will end up till the last minute but if I were to end up at one of the larger locations what could I expect?
  • Options
    oChickenoChicken Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey everyone, just found this post and read at least 15 pages. Good stuff for sure.
    I'm flying out to CRC at the end of the month. I'll be going to the BDSC in Iraq, ADPE-Service Desk Admin, and was wondering if anyone had recommendations for what to bring clothing wise. I'm currently a CONUS contractor and the dress code seems a little more lenient. Are cargo pants the norm, or should I get some 5.11 tacticool khakis? I spoke to my future boss and he said jeans were fine, but I don't want to get there and look unprofessional compared to everyone else. Shirt wise I'll probably pick up some new Polos and casual button ups, as it sounds like dress shirts are overkill.
  • Options
    congrats, oChicken.

tacticool attire are the norm in AFG and Iraq. You really dont want to wear jeans in a hot climate. If you are looking to purchase tacticool pants without breaking the bank, head out to LApolicegear website. LAPG branded pants and shirts sells for 50% less than the awesome tacticool 5.11.

- enjoy the "death by powerpoint" at the CRC
    - purchase a bright colored duct tape to wrap around and mark your duffel bag
  • Options
    LittleBITLittleBIT Member Posts: 320 ■■■■□□□□□□
    oChicken wrote: »
    Hey everyone, just found this post and read at least 15 pages. Good stuff for sure.
    I'm flying out to CRC at the end of the month. I'll be going to the BDSC in Iraq, ADPE-Service Desk Admin, and was wondering if anyone had recommendations for what to bring clothing wise. I'm currently a CONUS contractor and the dress code seems a little more lenient. Are cargo pants the norm, or should I get some 5.11 tacticool khakis? I spoke to my future boss and he said jeans were fine, but I don't want to get there and look unprofessional compared to everyone else. Shirt wise I'll probably pick up some new Polos and casual button ups, as it sounds like dress shirts are overkill.

'policy' is pants and a collared shirt. Pants can be cargo or jeans. And sneakers or boots. BDSC is high life living only next to UnionIII.

In otherwords, you lucked out.

Dont show up woth dress pants, dress shoes, nice belt, etc. Just dress comfortably. I wear jeans and cargo pants with Old Navy type collared short sleeve shirts and sneakers.
    Kindly doing the needful
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    - purchase a bright colored duct tape to wrap around and mark your duffel bag

I suggest one of the multipacs of electrical tape vs the duct tape. I've had the duct tape leave residue ont he bags, but more importantly, it's a quick way to make some friends. 5 color pack doesn't cost much, and you can share it with a bunch of guys/gals, as you all do different patterns. 3 stripes on handle and straps, 5 colors, means something like 80 possible combinations (not a factorial because you can reuse colors, just not next to each other).

On clothes, I was always fine with khakis and button up shirts, all natural fiber. If you wear synthetic fiber clothing, make sure it's designed for the heat, or you'll regret it.
  • Options
    joelsfood wrote: »
    electrical tape vs the duct tape

10 years ago when I deployed to Iraq (how time flies), my 1SG was obsessed with signal orange and all our bags were wrapped in orange tape. Let's just say I couldn't use them again later as the residue was everywhere lmao.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions all!
  • Options
    Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□

Just my $0.02 but I had to buy decent footwear in Afghanistan. The rocks out there tore up my first pair of shoes. When I was home on vacation I bought footwear with a Vibram sole and had no problems after that.
  • Options
    I should probably speak to a tax professional, but maybe someone can help me out again.

Since I will be starting in October, I won't meet the tax exemption status correct for 2017. Do I not do a Form 673 until next tax year, or can I still claim exempt status on income starting next month? Little confused on how the tax exempt kicks in if you work July-July for example and don't hit 335(?) days in either year.
  • Options
    Google Combat Zone exclusion IRS. You can defer your taxes if you send them your LOA.

Stay tax exempt till your first $100K, and then start having taxes taken out after that by updating the W4. Or, stay exempted and just pay taxes for the $101k-$XXX.

Some opt for the forced savings plan (getting taxes taken out the whole time).
    Kindly doing the needful
  • Options
    LittleBIT wrote: »

Some opt for the forced savings plan (getting taxes taken out the whole time).
    I'm on this plan, haha.

If you are from Cali, no such exemption exists. Get a driver's license from a different state (WA state for example) and you wouldnt have to pay state tax.

oChicken, physical presence test is a moving window.
  • Options
    OpenButClosedOpenButClosed Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□

I wouldnt waste ur money on 5.11. You can wear jeans w/ regular shoes. U'll be in doors 90% of the time anyway.
  • Options
    Starvguy772Starvguy772 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey, this is for my guys in Kuwait. What's the gym facilities and chow hall like?
  • Options
    Kenny23692Kenny23692 Member Posts: 30 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm on this plan, haha.

If you are from Cali, no such exemption exists. Get a driver's license from a different state (WA state for example) and you wouldnt have to pay state tax.

oChicken, physical presence test is a moving window.

Wait what? That's the other reason I'm working over here.
    So if u are a Cali resident but have a different states driver's licenses, you dont have to pay taxes? What do I need to do on my end to make that happen?
  • Options
    devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Kenny23692 wrote: »
    Wait what? That's the other reason I'm working over here.
    So if u are a Cali resident but have a different states driver's licenses, you dont have to pay taxes? What do I need to do on my end to make that happen?
    File a W4 with your employer to change your state withholding.
  • Options
    Kenny23692Kenny23692 Member Posts: 30 ■■■□□□□□□□
    devilbones wrote: »
    File a W4 with your employer to change your state withholding.
    Ya I know that but when taxes come around I'm still going to get hit. Since Cali is ridiculous state. How does the license come into plat
  • Options
    DonklanderDonklander Member Posts: 47 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey, this is for my guys in Kuwait. What's the gym facilities and chow hall like?

Depends where you go.

Chow is Chow is Chow. Doesn't really differentiate on post. However if you're going to Buehring, it's more limited.

Gym Facilities are about the same as well, TBH.

More than likely though, you won't have time to go to an on post gym, unless you have a license AND no one needs a vehicle to get to work.

The gym at the apartments is better than most hotel gyms, but not really much more than a typical home gym. There are places you can go within walking distance though.
  • Options
    If you work on AJ, they have a crossfit gym and a regular gym. Equipment is nice. But thats if you get to use it during work, which I doubt.
    Kindly doing the needful