Options

Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Options
    ChadiusChadius Member Posts: 313 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sorry, I realized today that these last posts should be on the student experience thread. If a moderator wants to move them, fine by me. :)
    If not, sorry for clogging up the thread with my rant.
  • Options
    Back before they changed the degree plans, taking out the MTA and CIW certifications, you could take one high level class that would fulfill a lower similar class. Ratbuddy and others have posted that they cleared out classes that way, during their journey thru the degree. Since they have taken out those certs, and restructured the degree plans, are there courses that can be removed like that anymore? Is there a new list of courses that you can take to get rid of lower classes?
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    Hmm, why don't you ask someone at WGU and post back with the results?
  • Options
    I did. Waiting for the response now. When I asked last year, I got back the "duh" response. lol Then it just happened recently to me. I passes one class and two went away. So I now have a specific talking point. :) I will get back on here soon and post my findings. :)
  • Options
    ImThe0neImThe0ne Member Posts: 143
    Very interested in this as well, if I can do one class of scripting and programming and pass both, that would be fantastic. Same goes for the DB classes...
    Looking forward to the answer
  • Options
    I asked and here is her reply:

[FONT=&quot]None – in fact, I just found out that the crosswalk I did for another student (C172 for passing CRV1), no longer is being granted but that since they just announced it, they allowed it.

[/FONT]
  • Options
    Chadius wrote: »
    I asked and here is her reply:

[FONT=&amp]None – in fact, I just found out that the crosswalk I did for another student (C172 for passing CRV1), no longer is being granted but that since they just announced it, they allowed it.

[/FONT]

Boo, that stinks. Late to the party I guess. Thanks for the info!
  • Options
    No problem. Wish I would have started last summer '14 like I originally wanted too. icon_sad.gif lol
  • Options
    FlyOnTheWallFlyOnTheWall Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Has anyone gotten into the BS IT program without first having their associates or having 3+ years of experience working in IT? I have neither and I'm wondering if they'd accept me. I've been teaching myself how to program and I plan on getting a few certifications, would they accept me into the program with just a few certifications to demonstrate my IT abilities?

Here are their listed requirements:
    6163d183f62d975f5b5fab09322078f6.png

I've been self employed in an unrelated field for the past 10 years and I'm looking to go in a different direction. Going to a B&M school and working at a snails pace to get my associates so I can get into this program seems a bit unattractive. It would be a bit of a waste of time and money when I could potentially learn so much faster and pay so much less. Any advice?
  • Options
    Study for and pass the A+ certification, then you are in!
  • Options
    FlyOnTheWallFlyOnTheWall Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Chadius wrote: »
    Study for and pass the A+ certification, then you are in!

Awesome! Thanks for the fast response.
  • Options
    No problem. You might check the list and see if there is one that is easy and cheaper than the A+. (just to be sure)
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Has anyone heard about what's going to happen to the NetAdmin program now that the Windows 8 exams are facing retirement? Anyone been given alternative options yet?
  • Options
    quickman007quickman007 Member Posts: 195
    Been considering pursuing my Bachelors here, but I've got a few questions.

1. Is a degree from WGU respected in the industry? Could someone who has an IT degree from WGU confirm this? It seems like whenever I mention WGU to someone who doesn't already know what it is, they're extremely skeptical.

2. Lets say I want to get the B.S. degree in Information Technology - Security. They've got a list of required classes to take, is this a list for someone with no previous college education? I have an A.S. in IT (along with several certs) already, so I'm assuming I'll be able to knock out a decent chunk of courses. If anyone has transferred to WGU with an Associates degree, could you provide some info on the experience?

3. Is WGU any good? Honestly, are the classes good? Did you learn a lot? Did you feel ready to take on real world work?

I'll be contacting WGU this week, just wanted some student answers.

Thanks!

EDIT - Apparently the B.S. degree is from the ground up. Could have guessed but just wanted to be sure. I'd still like to hear the experiences of those who transferred with an A.S., if anyone would like to share.
  • Options
    JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195
    Been considering pursuing my Bachelors here, but I've got a few questions.

1. Is a degree from WGU respected in the industry? Could someone who has an IT degree from WGU confirm this? It seems like whenever I mention WGU to someone who doesn't already know what it is, they're extremely skeptical.

2. Lets say I want to get the B.S. degree in Information Technology - Security. They've got a list of required classes to take, is this a list for someone with no previous college education? I have an A.S. in IT (along with several certs) already, so I'm assuming I'll be able to knock out a decent chunk of courses. If anyone has transferred to WGU with an Associates degree, could you provide some info on the experience?

3. Is WGU any good? Honestly, are the classes good? Did you learn a lot? Did you feel ready to take on real world work?

I'll be contacting WGU this week, just wanted some student answers.

Thanks!

EDIT - Apparently the B.S. degree is from the ground up. Could have guessed but just wanted to be sure. I'd still like to hear the experiences of those who transferred with an A.S., if anyone would like to share.

There are way too many useless (and sometimes predatory) schools out there, so it's no surprise they're skeptical about WGU. To the uninitiated, WGU hardly seems any different than Phoenix or ITT. I don' have the degree, and I do not know what it looks like in the interview room when discussing WGU, but it sounds like experiences vary from company to company. The issue is in WGU's popularity. Nobody knows about it and that means nobody knows that it's non-profit and accredited. This might make for some good conversation during the interview?

I have no complaints regarding the material. I feel like I'm learning something here. There's not a lot of information about the quality of WGU's general ed courses, but I've found the content more than adequate. WGU uses a variety of learning sources to get you ready to submit projects or sit the exams. I'm studying for CCENT right now and I have access to Odom's book in addition to CBT Nuggets and a bunch of labs through Pearson and Cisco.
  • Options
    snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Qord wrote: »
    Has anyone heard about what's going to happen to the NetAdmin program now that the Windows 8 exams are facing retirement? Anyone been given alternative options yet?

I'm also interested to see whats going to happen with this one.
  • Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Um, I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say Windows 10?
  • Options
    RaccoonTailRaccoonTail Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm new here but I've been a lurker for information for a while and am actually going through the enrollment process with WGU for October 1st for a BS in IT wit ha focus in Network Administration. I already have a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, so all of the general education and management requirements are pretty much met for me, I'll be taking just the IT courses, and have already gotten my A+ certification so that is met as well.

My question is, to get a head start I want to take an overview of every IT class I am going to take, so I'm going to try to sign up for cbtnuggets.com for a month and take the courses on there. My enrollment counselor doesn't seem to know to much about what the finals would consist of or if there's an applicable certification similar to that final. I'm aware of things like Network+ and Security+, which I've started to study on, as well as the MCSA certs and Project+ cert.

The basic program guide gives an overview of what you'll be taking for credits. My question though is what type of CBT should I try to take for things like: Scripting and Programming - Foundations and Applications; Data Management - Foundations and Applications; and Web Development - Fundamentals? Is this Javascript, HTML, MySQL, etc? Is there a corresponding certification that would cover this course material before I go in, even if the final is not one of those certs? I'm eager to get started and would like to use the prep time in the next month to take CBT's to get an overview over everything I'm taking. Any info is appreciated, thanks!
  • Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ok so I am going to switch my degree from the BSIT - Security to BSIT, mainly because I want a bachelors degree next semester and there is no way in heck I will be able to do ICND2, CCNA Security, Capstone and Project Management in one semester. That is all I need to graduate.

It seems as though when I switch I won't need the ICND2 or CCNA Security which is awesome.

Question, well 2 actually, do you think it's stupid? Does it really matter what specialty I have the BS in, as long as it's in IT? I plan on tackling the SSCP exam after I graduate anyway, but would the fact that I have a BS in IT as opposed to IT Security kill my prospects of getting into the Security field? I feel as though the certs might make up for that.

Second

Is there a way to see what classes I would need to take if I were to switch, without the school doing the paperwork, to see if it's even worth it?

I tried to do a side by side comparison of the two programs but they are pretty vague when doing so.
  • Options
    nsternster Member Posts: 231
    I would try and power through it and try to get it done anyways TBH. The problem is if you don't finish it, it's a lot of money wasted. I personally would take the risk but it's up to you. I think the "Security" can give you a leg up over someone who doesn't have "Security"
  • Options
    Um, I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say Windows 10?

That would actually be incorrect.

According to my student mentor, the MCSA classes for Windows 8.1 are being replaced with the Linux+ certification classes as well as a MTA for Windows 7. Not sure why they would roll the MTA to win 7, but that's what he said. Needless to say, I think I'll just knock out win 8.1 and call it a day.
  • Options
    I thought WGU was phasing out the MTA's?

That makes absolutely no sense to me, since the Windows 8 MCSA is like 12 credits. That's way more than Linux+ and the MTA for Windows OS Fundamentals...
  • Options
    I thought WGU was phasing out the MTA's?

That makes absolutely no sense to me, since the Windows 8 MCSA is like 12 credits. That's way more than Linux+ and the MTA for Windows OS Fundamentals...

I thought the same thing, but that is the information I was given. So, I can only go off of that.

On a side note, I had contacted Microsoft to see if they were doing an MCSA for windows 10, I assumed it would replace the MCSA for 8.1. The rep at Microsoft told me they had phased out desktop MCSA and that Windows 8.1 would be the last one you can get, as they will not have that for Win 10.
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I figured that would be a possible option, but I didn't think it was a realistic one. I was supposed to have the client tests this coming semester, but I think I'll try to move those classes back and instead do the Server exams now with the hopes that they bring Windows 10 into the mix before the next semester starts. That test comes out later this year, so that would give vendors 6 months to publish books and come up with good training materials. Hopefully that's enough time. I'd rather have the Linux and Windows 10 than Linux and Windows 7.
  • Options
    I was told when I pass my CCNA my Network+ course will drop.
    I still have the email in case they try to make me take it.

If they force me to take it I will just take it, no biggie.
  • Options
    Jasiono wrote: »
    I was told when I pass my CCNA my Network+ course will drop.
    I still have the email in case they try to make me take it.

If they force me to take it I will just take it, no biggie.
    I have no experience with adding certifications after you have already started or when you change paths, but I am sure they would work with you. In the end, you save them money if you already have a class, they aren't having to pay for the cert exam for you then.
  • Options
    I was told that unless the certification was earned as PART of the coursework, it will not count for credit. Any certifications earned have to be submitted before your enrollment date.
  • Options
    JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195
    I was just notified by my SM that the CCNA Security is expiring this November. Did anyone else hear about this?

I hope this refers to the current exam version and not WGU including the CCNA Security in their BS-ITS program.

Edit... Nevermind. The exam is being updated by Cisco on November 30th.
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    I was told that unless the certification was earned as PART of the coursework, it will not count for credit. Any certifications earned have to be submitted before your enrollment date.

This is correct. I completed the CCNA two weeks before starting and now I have to take Network+ because the CCNA was completed after my degree plan was assembled.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    Does anyone know what will happen to the CCNA Security course since Cisco is updating their test, come December?

I posted this out in a different part of the forums:

"I am in a bit of a bind for time here.

I just passed my CCENT a couple days ago, and part of my degree is obtaining the CCNA and CCNA Security.

Considering the CCNA Security is retiring December 1st, and the new one will be out, how long does new material really take to surface?

I emailed my student mentor with my concerns since these are the only classes I really need, and with the day everything is times, would royally screw me by forcing me to take ANOTHER semester just for CCNA Security due to the time line that it might take for the new material to come out.

I asked if I should study for it now, if they will allow me, or if this class will be substituted by something else, or what is going on, and she is forwarding it to the director and we will go from there.

Has anyone taken this route before?
    I know Cisco allows it now, but my question really is this:

Knowledge-wise, how much CCNA is within CCNA Security? Is it an absolute necessity to have the CCNA under your belt, again, knowledge-wise, in order to do well and understand all the security concepts, or is it strictly security protocols?"