Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    any one else loosing steam in the summer months ... ive got about half left and i havent done anything this week at all
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    any one else loosing steam in the summer months ... ive got about half left and i havent done anything this week at all

Not so much losing steam, but I'm getting slammed at work and by the time I get home I'm too tired to concentrate. All I want to do is lay down and relax and/or sleep.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • SirbloodySirbloody Member Posts: 112
    srabiee wrote: »
    Not so much losing steam, but I'm getting slammed at work and by the time I get home I'm too tired to concentrate. All I want to do is lay down and relax and/or sleep.

That's me all over, I been working 6-7 hours outside in 100 degree weather and I am just so drained to do anything. I am just happy I finally finished my project so I can stay at my desk again!
    WGU: BS-IT Security (Start Date 1 June 2013)
    Classes Left: EUP1, BOV1, TXC1, TXP1, TYC1, TYP1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, GAC1, HHT1, COV1, CQV1, QLT1, BVC1, RIT1, BNC1, IWC1, IWT1, DJV1, TPV1, CVV1, CJV1, CNV1, AGC1, CUV1, EUC1
    Completed: CPV1, AXV1, DHV1 BBC1, WFV1, CLC1, CTV1, DRV1. DSV1, LAE1
  • amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @demonfurbie - I decided to take the summer off for that very reason. I knew I wouldn't have the time or energy so soon after buying a home. I will be settled in before September, which will free up the time needed to resume my studies.
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
  • arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□

Definitely me. Had a few communication issues with my mentor to boot, so I haven't had any completed classes for a while now. Work stuff getting in the way (begged for new workstations for years, and they finally order some while I'm working on school stuff), so I've got QBT1 and DFV1 staring me in the face still. And AHV1 to finish up my MCITP:EA, hopefully before my review in a few weeks so I can get a little more oomph in the paycheck!
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • DrovorDrovor Member Posts: 137
    I just finished up my 2nd Term by completing DJV1. Still have a month to spare but think I will take a couple weeks off to finish up some things I've been meaning to do before starting up again. At my pace I'll be done in another year, just can't find the time/energy to accelerate my degree.
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    srabiee wrote: »

I can relate to that one, have a fourth plant going live on the new ERP system in the next month. So I get to fly to OH for a few days to do some prep work, and possibly be there on the go-live depending on how testing goes. After that I have to do a 3 day roundtrip drive to IL for a data center migration. Usually by the time I get home i'm so drained I just go to bed and wake up the next morning.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yesterday I stayed alive in the IT-Security track, and finished my 3rd term. The 3rd term was a do or die for my financial aid, because I had two classes unfinished in term 2. I hear that there are going to be some changes to some of the classes this term as well. I hear it rumored that the Operating Systems (CSV1) class will be replaced with the CompTIA Linux+ exams, instead of Windows 7, and for those of you that will be taking CNV1 (IINS CCNA Security), you are getting CBT Nuggets videos instead of Learn Key.
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 896 ■■■■■□□□□□
    CBT Nuggets is awesome. I'd welcome that change in video providers. And Linux+ is a decent certification (along with the LPI and Novell associated certs).

LinuxRacr, you got it.
    Yeah, I wish I didn't have to pay for CBT Nuggets last term, but it was totally worth it. A big help in passing the CCNA Security exam. I'm a Linux/UNIX admin that is excited about the new Linux exams to fill in any possible knowledge gaps.
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • jonenojoneno Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi,
    Is anyone having issues with their webcam and the biometrics login? It took me almost 45 minutes to login for CLC1 test, yesterday I was unable to take BNC1 due to the same biometrics s#!!...It's really annoying studying for a test, only to find out you can't take the test due to some software issue. How did you guys deal with it? A speedy response is appreciated as I already contacted my mentor, kryterion and WGU test dept.

Thanks
  • srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    joneno wrote: »
    Hi,
    Is anyone having issues with their webcam and the biometrics login? It took me almost 45 minutes to login for CLC1 test, yesterday I was unable to take BNC1 due to the same biometrics s#!!...It's really annoying studying for a test, only to find out you can't take the test due to some software issue. How did you guys deal with it? A speedy response is appreciated as I already contacted my mentor, kryterion and WGU test dept.

Thanks

I couldn't log in on Sunday due to a biometrics keystroke recognition problem. I had to call Kryterion on the phone and have them walk me through fixing it. Was like 10 minutes late logging into the test but they got it working thankfully
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
    i finished about 40 credits per term with a 40+hr a week job, 2 kids (1 is autistic), 3 hr+ a day commute ... its def doable

Your support system was STRONG.
  • fcatfcat Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    There appears to be far more MSISA activity here that Q&A so I am opting (hopefully not incorrectly) to post here. I have been considering the MSISA program for some time. To that end I have completed my CCNP (prior) and now the CEH and CFHI. Given I have 3 or 12 course done prior to Starting, do those in or done with the program think it is doable in 2 terms? I have my CISSP, numerous lower tech certs and a non-tech masters from a B&M school, so I am no stranger to studying and writing.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Apologies if this is the wrong thread to post in.
  • amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @fcat - With those 3 certs knocked out, completing the MSISA program in 2 terms is doable. You should breeze right through the performance assessments. I believe there are also a couple of in-house exams. The capstone will be your most time-consuming task. With that said, it's not uncommon for people to complete it at a relatively fast pace.
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    LinuxRacr wrote: »
    Your support system was STRONG.

my will power was strong too ... it seams to be slipping a bit now

and the fact i didnt have a social life to begin with helped alot
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
    I seriously hear you on that. My will power is developing, and learning to overcome quite a few obstacles. Well done.
  • EngRobEngRob Member Posts: 247 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Taking the plunge and joining you all on BS IT-Security. Just waiting on my international transcripts from England to be reviewed to see what will transfer. I doubt it will be much, but we'll see. Hoping i'll be able to be all ready for Sept 1st intake!!
  • TavikWinterTavikWinter Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello everyone :) I have also taken the plunge and will be starting WGU Sept 1, 2013. Only I have enrolled for Bachelor of Science Information Technology-Network Administration. Can't wait to start icon_study.gif.
  • SirbloodySirbloody Member Posts: 112
    Whelp, trying to schedule the CLC1 exam for the 19th... Their site is taking FOREVER to load though...
    WGU: BS-IT Security (Start Date 1 June 2013)
    Classes Left: EUP1, BOV1, TXC1, TXP1, TYC1, TYP1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, GAC1, HHT1, COV1, CQV1, QLT1, BVC1, RIT1, BNC1, IWC1, IWT1, DJV1, TPV1, CVV1, CJV1, CNV1, AGC1, CUV1, EUC1
    Completed: CPV1, AXV1, DHV1 BBC1, WFV1, CLC1, CTV1, DRV1. DSV1, LAE1
  • SinemaSinema Registered Users Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I tried other universities like Phoenix and found that WGU, the enrollment staff, atleast try to filter out those who will not precede with the experience. I'm excited to see how I do in this. I tried traditional universities but real life took away from my ability to do that.
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    So it looks like i'm going to go into a third term. Have 3 more projects coming up in the next month or so that will require me to go out of town. Couple that with being sick the last week, I just don't think i've got the time to study to where i'm comfortable enough to pass the test. I think i'm going to take a practice test this weekend and see where I am, but I just get the feeling i'm not going to be ready to take it in time. Oh well.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • jonenojoneno Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi,
    I'm a little confused as to what I should do for LUT1, I have written my thesis, main points, research question....I really don't know what to do next?
    Also, how long did it take you to complete LUT1 and QBT1?

Thanks
  • BundimanBundiman Member Posts: 201
    QBT1 took me three week but I hate writing. None of the writing classes are hard you just have to sit down and do it. The expectations are listed for you in the rubric.
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Start Date: Apr 1st, 2013)
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Completed: Apr 25t, 2014)
    I noticed today that it appear INC1 Integrated Natural Science and INT1 Integrated Natural Science Applications have been replaced by four classes Introduction to Physics, Introduction to Physics Lab, Introduction to Biology, and Introduction to Biology Lab. Anyone seeing those in their course of study?
  • thaladorthalador Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Bundiman wrote: »
    I noticed today that it appear INC1 Integrated Natural Science and INT1 Integrated Natural Science Applications have been replaced by four classes Introduction to Physics, Introduction to Physics Lab, Introduction to Biology, and Introduction to Biology Lab. Anyone seeing those in their course of study?

I am on my COS right now and I still see INC1 and INT1 listed.

I just, however, looked at the course guide for both the BSIT and BSIT:Security and see physics and biology listed. I will contact my mentor about it and ask him
    I spoke with my mentor last night and she said that while at the annual get together she spoke with some of the course mentors and the new sciences classes are going to be a lot harder. She also told me QLT1 is changing to be even more focused on probability and statistics so I will probably try to get that one knocked this semester as well.
  • forza_romaforza_roma Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For those that have already graduated from WGU with a "BS in IT" no emphasis, can you please share your experiences on what courses you took first and how you planned out your degree? I have no prior IT experience. Below is a table outlining the courses I have to complete. Using the table below what would be your preference or choice on how to plan out the syllabus?

I will be starting 1st week of September. Since I already had a bachelors degree non IT related, I was able to clear 45 CU, which means 77 CU is needed to graduate? Thanks!!!

CODE
    ASSESSMENT TITLE

WFV1
    IT Fundamentals I

EAV1
    It Fundamentals II

EBV1
    It Fundamentals III

EUP1
    Project in Web Development Fundamentals

EUC1
    Web Development Fundamentals

CUV1
    Web Tech

DHV1
    Windows OS Fundamentals

D1V1
    Windows Server Admin Fundamentals

CWV1
    Network Fundamentals

CRV1
    Networks

DJV1
    Software Development Fundamentals

BOV1
    Web Programming

DEV1
    Security Fundamentals

CTV1
    Security

TXP1
    Project in Intro to Programming

TXC1
    Introduction to Programming

BNC1
    Organizational Behavior and Leadership

TYP1
    Project in Intro to OO design and development

TYC1
    Intro to OO Design and Development

R1T1
    Leadership Concepts and applications

TPV1
    Project Management

Principles of Management

SBT1
    Technical Writing

IT Capstone Written Project

• Tremie24Tremie24 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good info in this thread. I'm looking to attend WGU soon, hopefully Sept, transferred in about 27 CUs. Plus have my A+, Net+ and will be testing soon for Security+. Going for a BA in IT, wanting to do Security as well for the Cisco Certs. So you can't double major?
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Tremie24 wrote: »
    Good info in this thread. I'm looking to attend WGU soon, hopefully Sept, transferred in about 27 CUs. Plus have my A+, Net+ and will be testing soon for Security+. Going for a BA in IT, wanting to do Security as well for the Cisco Certs. So you can't double major?
    Correct, you can't double major at WGU.