Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    congrats spider ... im sorry about your daughter
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 896 ■■■■■□□□□□
    congrats spider ... im sorry about your daughter
    Well, thankfully she is doing well. She'll have to live her life with the condition, but we're very grateful for the donor family for giving her a second chance at life.
  • coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations on finishing WGU!!! I am so glad your daughter is doing well....God Bless her!!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    @spiderjericho Congrats on the pass! Glad to hear your daughter is doing well also.

Capstone report has been graded and approved! Scheduling my oral defense for the Monday after next if I can. On vacation until then, which is seriously needed. However just started in on my IT governance book for G2700, may as well get some reading done while i'm relaxing. End of term is Aug 31st, 99.9% sure i've got this in the bag, however one never knows on a test, could have a curveball thrown my way.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    @Spider - I am glad your daughter is doing better, hoping she continues to improve her health. Congrats on being done with WGU, too.
  • naclh2onaznaclh2onaz Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ok so I'm starting 8/1 at WGU and finally got my transcript eval back. Do you guys think I'll be able to finish in 2 terms and I'm also looking for feedback on which order would be best to take the courses in. I would like to start with the Security courses first as I'll start studying for them after I finish my CCNA. I have to take: WFV1, CLC1, EUP1, EUC1, CUV1, GAC1, DHV1, DEV1, CTV1, BOV1, IWT1, TXP1, TXC1, CVV1, RIT1, CJV1, TYP1, TYC1, TPV1, CJC1
    2017 Goals:
    CISSP [X]
    2018 Goals:
    CRISC [ ]
  • NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Quick update for me ... I was only able to complete three of my four classes but managed to get more responsibility, pulled 50+ hour work weeks and a raise at work while planning and getting married during the term.

So i am pushing my fourth class, CUV1, to the next term but have a clear schedule to push through and get ready to take the test by the start of the term. I am hoping this will give me a great head start into my next three classes which i have opted to pick some courses further down the line than go straight through. Have a call with my mentor tomorrow to discuss and start to plan out my next term!
    You've had your hands full, congrats on getting married!

CUV1 isn't too hard, the CIW materials are all you need. One of the things I really enjoyed about WGU was being able to work ahead on some courses, in preparation for completing them the next term.
  • SirbloodySirbloody Member Posts: 112
    Whelp, my mentor just approved for me to take WFV1, I need to brush up on my HTML/XHTML (that was the part I scored to lowest on in the pre-test). The only bad thing is, the closest testing center will only do the test on Monday (24th) next week, if they will not give me that day it will have to wait till the 1st of July.
    WGU: BS-IT Security (Start Date 1 June 2013)
    Classes Left: EUP1, BOV1, TXC1, TXP1, TYC1, TYP1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, GAC1, HHT1, COV1, CQV1, QLT1, BVC1, RIT1, BNC1, IWC1, IWT1, DJV1, TPV1, CVV1, CJV1, CNV1, AGC1, CUV1, EUC1
    Completed: CPV1, AXV1, DHV1 BBC1, WFV1, CLC1, CTV1, DRV1. DSV1, LAE1
  • amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @spiderjericho - I'm a little late to the dance. With that said, I'm happy your is doing well now. You were still able to finish your second bachelor's degree. That is a great accomplishment!
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Wow that's pretty deep Jericho. Prayers for you girl. ***Now I forgot what I was going to post. Anyway I like WGU almost done! 2 more task and I graduated with my MBA. I'm pretty excited!
    Thanks to everyone's well wishes. If you'd like to see my Mami Teeku, you can swing by on Facebook and search for Layla's Little Miracle Heart.

I completed my graduation application yesterday. I really wanted to attend a commencement but my choices are Indiana, Texas and Utah. I was hoping for something on the East Coast so my daughter and family could come.
    1D0-610: CIW Web Foundations Associate, just recieved my voucher and signed up for it on the 26th, wish me luck.
    Classes Left: EUP1, BOV1, TXC1, TXP1, TYC1, TYP1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, GAC1, HHT1, COV1, CQV1, QLT1, BVC1, RIT1, BNC1, IWC1, IWT1, DJV1, TPV1, CVV1, CJV1, CNV1, AGC1, CUV1, EUC1
    Thanks to everyone's well wishes. If you'd like to see my Mami Teeku, you can swing by on Facebook and search for Layla's Little Miracle Heart.

I completed my graduation application yesterday. I really wanted to attend a commencement but my choices are Indiana, Texas and Utah. I was hoping for something on the East Coast so my daughter and family could come.

ya could wait till atlanta
    ya could wait till atlanta

Do you have a link for that? I guess I didn't see it on the commencement page. Atlanta would be perfect. It's just a hop and skip from Florida.
  • nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    Atlanta is where they typically hold the winter commencement, or at least have for the last several I believe.
    yea ask your mentor they normally have winter in atlanta
    Yeah, I just did my last weekly phone call with my mentor, and he said the Atlanta Commencement is usually in February. I wish it were sooner, but I think I'll make the trip.

I never went to the commencement at UMUC when I graduated a few years ago. Going to bring my daughter and girl with me. Can't wait.
    Well, been a little while since I posted, been on vacation (had a blast), but just got done with my oral defense. Capstone is done baby! According to my little WGU app i'm at 90% with 1 class left, just over 2 months to go in the term. I got this.
  • coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Hypntick wrote: »
    Well, been a little while since I posted, been on vacation (had a blast), but just got done with my oral defense. Capstone is done baby! According to my little WGU app i'm at 90% with 1 class left, just over 2 months to go in the term. I got this.

Congratulations on finishing the Capstone!!!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • RoflawfulRoflawful Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Starting out at WGU in a bit more than a month (8/1/2013). Going for a 2-term completion.

Felt I got the short end of the stick on my transfer evaluation. Was able to transfer 41 credits with my AAS and MTA Database fundamentals cert. I'll have to take TYC1/TYP1, TXC1/TXP1, and EUC1/EUP1 despite already having taken Advanced VB, Java, and Web Development... Oh well.

Transferred:
    AGC1, UBC1, EBV1, EAV1, TJC1, TJP1, IWC1, DJV1, DHV1, CWV1, CVV1

To do:
    UBT1, CDP1, CDC1, TYC1, TYP1, TXC1, TXP1, EUC1, EUP1, WPV1, WFV1, TPV1, CJC1, IWT1, TCP1, GAC1, DIV1, DEV1, CUV1, CTV1, CRV1, CLC1, CJV1, BOV1, BNC1, EDV1, ???(Technical Writing), ???(Capstone)

That's 82 credits in 2 terms.

I'm basically going to have to average 1 class completed per 2 week period.

I work full time (40+hrs/wk) in an IT consulting firm, do occasional side work, and also have a wife and daughter, so I'm aiming high here.

Things that will speed up my progress:
    - I've been programming for ~17 years (learned at 11) and work in the industry. TYC1,TYP1,TXC1,TXP1,EUC1,EUP1,EDV1,WFV1,GAC1,CUV1,CJV1,BOV1 should all be <1 week courses.
    - My AAS was about 66% online, so I am used to the process
    - Good test taker.

Questions:
    - Is it possible to appeal my transcript evaluation? The intro to programming, web development fundamentals, etc. will be a big waste of time... I know I'll be able to burn through them quickly once I get started, but with my already tight schedule, I'd rather spend my time elsewhere.
    - I have a friend who started the same program in April. Would there be any problem with me going through the course material >1month before I technically start?

TLDR:
    - 82 credits 2 terms
    - Can I appeal the transcript evaluation?
    - Can I start way way early (friend in same program)?
    41 credits from an AAS isn't bad, I had about the same.

With your programming knowledge, you should breeze through most of the courses. I'd suggest lumping courses that complement each other together. WFV1, CUV1 and BOV1 would be a good example, web foundations, web development, and javascript. You can add all 3 courses and knock them out together.

Yes, you can appeal your transcript evaluation. If they leave you with what you have, remember that if you know it, just can work quickly through the courses. I wrote every paper in community college in APA format, so when I got to WGU, the papers were a breeze.

If your friend gives you some material to look over, that's between you and your friend. They probably won't allow you access too early, the exception being if you are at the end of term 1 with 3 weeks left, your mentor can open up the resources for you to study, but actually add the courses to your AAV the start of 2nd term.
  • Hatch1921Hatch1921 Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi all,

If you are currently enrolled in the MS IT Management program or you've completed the degree... would you mind sharing your experiences with the program?

I have one year to go with NAU here in AZ to complete a BS in Tech Management... looking over what WGU has to offer... this might be a good fit for me. Just curious to know what you think of the program. If you did complete the degree... how long did it take you start to finish?

Thanks,
    Hatch
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Roflawful wrote: »
    Questions:
    - Is it possible to appeal my transcript evaluation? The intro to programming, web development fundamentals, etc. will be a big waste of time... I know I'll be able to burn through them quickly once I get started, but with my already tight schedule, I'd rather spend my time elsewhere.
    - I have a friend who started the same program in April. Would there be any problem with me going through the course material >1month before I technically start?

I'm in about the same situation with number of credits, work schedule, wife and daughter, it's going to be tough but i'll do the best I can, started a few weeks ago. You can definitely appeal your transcript eval, I did. I transferred over a ton of credits and lost a lot since I changed majors and my IT stuff was over 5 years old but I appealed 4 classes, had to go back and forth a bit with research on the old classes but ended up having them cover 2 of them. I know you can test out of stuff as quickly as you want, but if you've already done the course you might as well try to get it waived.
    i finished about 40 credits per term with a 40+hr a week job, 2 kids (1 is autistic), 3 hr+ a day commute ... its def doable
    Hypntick wrote: »

Congratulations!!! icon_cheers.gif

How do you plan on approaching FYV2? Will you sit for the G2700 exam? Or, will you go for the in-house version?
    Aristotle wrote:
    Just finished WFV1, on to CLC1 next.
  • srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just took OLP proctored exam for BNC1 and passed. Exam was more difficult than I expected but I managed a decent score. Now onto EUP1/EUC1 web design project.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
    I plan on doing the G2700 exam itself, that was one of the driving factors behind my finishing up this term. Even though the cert itself may not hold a high value, I think the knowledge gained in the study will help in what i'm looking to do at my current position. Although I did just learn today that I will be going out of town at least twice in these two months for project related work, I hope I can finish it up this term, but if not, i've given it my best shot at a 2 term finish.
    A two term finish is quite impressive indeed. I have no doubt you will pull it off. icon_thumright.gif
    Aristotle wrote: