Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    When is D-day?

June 6th, 1944

Normandy landings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

October 9th 12pm.

Everything is clear with the wife and the boss. Should be good to go.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Everything is clear with the wife and the boss. Should be good to go.

It would be nice if I could read. Maybe one of these days I'll figure it out. (Hmmm, I wonder if Darril Gibson wrote a book to teach that)

Good luck
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    It would be nice if I could read. Maybe one of these days I'll figure it out. (Hmmm, I wonder if Darril Gibson wrote a book to teach that)

Good luck

Thanks! You are being chipper today. Did you pass 293 (or get laid) recently (whichever would be the biggest rush for you)? lol

Seriously though I need to just go balls to the walls and kill this and LPIC-1. I losing my job on the same day of passing my CCNA:S took some of the wind from behind my sails. I feel the breeze again though.
  • Options
    Thanks! You are being chipper today. Did you pass 293 (or get laid) recently (whichever would be the biggest rush for you)? lol

Seriously though I need to just go balls to the walls and kill this and LPIC-1. I losing my job on the same day of passing my CCNA:S took some of the wind from behind my sails. I feel the breeze again though.

Still working on the 293. I find it to be extremely boring, just talking about different types of WAN connections and network topologies.

I'm looking at getting the Nuggets Streaming subscription. Access to all of their videos for $1500. My logic is, that if the money is already spent then I will need to watch a ton of stuff to get my monies worth. Hopefully that equates to many passes, and will allow me to learn some new things without actually studying for the test.

The new Linux+ could be in my future for next year. Right now I have experience being a user, but not really an admin. So it would be a bit of a step. But Linux skills are extremely important in Security so at some point or another I'm going to need to get them down.
  • Options
    Still working on the 293. I find it to be extremely boring, just talking about different types of WAN connections and network topologies.

I'm looking at getting the Nuggets Streaming subscription. Access to all of their videos for $1500. My logic is, that if the money is already spent then I will need to watch a ton of stuff to get my monies worth. Hopefully that equates to many passes, and will allow me to learn some new things without actually studying for the test.

The new Linux+ could be in my future for next year. Right now I have experience being a user, but not really an admin. So it would be a bit of a step. But Linux skills are extremely important in Security so at some point or another I'm going to need to get them down.

1500 dollars is so much money, especially to lay down at one time. I probably could afford it but I'd really rather not. That's a good portion of my credit card debt or something ya know? I guess it is VMs and books for me.
  • Options
    1500 dollars is so much money, especially to lay down at one time. I probably could afford it but I'd really rather not. That's a good portion of my credit card debt or something ya know? I guess it is VMs and books for me.

Actually it works out pretty nice. I spent $400 already for the MCSA pack which they are willing to credit to me. Then I'm going to pay for the first month at $200 and then around November I'll pay the remaining $900. So it isn't quite all at once.

Too bad they don't take the 10% off MCP coupon code for their NSS.

(BTW I was going to upgrade my MCSA pack to MCSE:S pack, which was going to cost me $700, $1100-400, so $400 more for an entire year isn't bad)
  • Options
    Actually it works out pretty nice. I spent $400 already for the MCSA pack which they are willing to credit to me. Then I'm going to pay for the first month at $200 and then around November I'll pay the remaining $900. So it isn't quite all at once.

Too bad they don't take the 10% off MCP coupon code for their NSS.

(BTW I was going to upgrade my MCSA pack to MCSE:S pack, which was going to cost me $700, $1100-400, so $400 more for an entire year isn't bad)

If I could make some sort of payment plan or something I might be ok with it but 1500 is a good amount of paper. Guess if I was a baller like you I would scoff at that.
  • Options
    If I could make some sort of payment plan or something I might be ok with it but 1500 is a good amount of paper. Guess if I was a baller like you I would scoff at that.

If I keep this pace up, it is a very worthy investment. I've been watching 4 videos a day (not counting the 3 minute intro video). At that pace I can get through a course in about a week.

How is security+ coming?
  • Options
    If I keep this pace up, it is a very worthy investment. I've been watching 4 videos a day (not counting the 3 minute intro video). At that pace I can get through a course in about a week.

That's cool if you can make it worthwhile.
    How is security+ coming?

Not bad. I think i will be ready on the 9th. I actually think I could go sit the test today.
  • Options
    I actually think I could go sit the test today.

Or last month, whatever.
  • Options
    Or last month, whatever.

Or 6 months ago when I first thought about doing it.
  • Options
    While waiting on my wife to get back home last night (someone walk out and they called her in at about 10:30 to work until 1am) I finished my law homework (FTW) and did a practice test. I wanted to focus on crypto as I feel it is my weakest area. I got a 90 percent in a 20 question test (missed 2) and honestly the two that I missed I really shouldn't have. But that's ok I was very tired and misread the questions. I'm pretty happy with that. I am going to finish studying crypto tonight and then go back over some legal terms and such. This weekend is going to be brutal (groupshield install, DNS cleanup, phone system upgrade, sonicwall install, server 2003 drop in, application roll out) but I should be able to get a few hours of study in late on Saturday and Sunday. I think I am at a point now where it will be ok if I start doing full test and reviewing my answers. I was afraid of question memorization (or as I like to call it, stale move negation) but I just don't think it will happen. My goal is to get 95% by Next week. The last time I took a full exam I had an 88 so I am not that far off. Oct 9 is still the day.
  • Options
    While waiting on my wife to get back home last night (someone walk out and they called her in at about 10:30 to work until 1am) I finished my law homework (FTW) and did a practice test. I wanted to focus on crypto as I feel it is my weakest area. I got a 90 percent in a 20 question test (missed 2) and honestly the two that I missed I really shouldn't have. But that's ok I was very tired and misread the questions. I'm pretty happy with that. I am going to finish studying crypto tonight and then go back over some legal terms and such. This weekend is going to be brutal (groupshield install, DNS cleanup, phone system upgrade, sonicwall install, server 2003 drop in, application roll out) but I should be able to get a few hours of study in late on Saturday and Sunday. I think I am at a point now where it will be ok if I start doing full test and reviewing my answers. I was afraid of question memorization (or as I like to call it, stale move negation) but I just don't think it will happen. My goal is to get 95% by Next week. The last time I took a full exam I had an 88 so I am not that far off. Oct 9 is still the day.

You are going to sit down, and then walk out laughing 10 minutes later when you aced the thing.
  • Options
    You are going to sit down, and then walk out laughing 10 minutes later when you aced the thing.

honestly I am more stoked about getting this test out of my life. I really can't wait to dedicate myself to LPIC-1. I am ready for a change of pace.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hopefully your pace on that is better than this one..lol
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    Hopefully your pace on that is better than this one..lol

287 replies (288 with this one) 7,165 views and 12 pages. All for a CompTIA exam.
  • Options
    287 replies (288 with this one) 7,165 views and 12 pages. All for a CompTIA exam.

Dont hate me because I'm beautiful and popular.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Dont hate me because I'm beautiful and popular.

We hate you because you haven't passed the damn thing yet. icon_lol.gif

I've lost all interest in this exam but I promised my wife that I would take it in October. In all honesty, I'm only doing it for potential govt jobs. I'm more interested in finishing mcse and ccnp, as you are lpic.
  • Options
    phoeneous wrote: »

By that definition, we hate you too. You might not have a 12 page thread, but you have been working on this test since my Grandma was born.

So get going already!
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    honestly I am more stoked about getting this test out of my life. I really can't wait to dedicate myself to LPIC-1. I am ready for a change of pace.

It'll be awesome to have a LPIC study buddy :p
  • Options
    It'll be awesome to have a LPIC study buddy :p

Don't hold your breathicon_lol.gif
  • Options
    phoeneous wrote: »

I've lost all interest in this exam but I promised my wife that I would take it in October. In all honesty, I'm only doing it for potential govt jobs. I'm more interested in finishing mcse and ccnp, as you are lpic.

Hey dude you didn't do it either! You cannot shun me!

How are things at work? I think I remember you saying you got really busy. I know what you mean about "lost interest". It honestly is a drag. It is almost like a chore lol. When are you planing on doing it? Are you still on track for the MCSE?
    Don't hold your breathicon_lol.gif

You can hold your breath (if you can hold it until Next Saturday at about 5pm).
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    this thread should be locked until he passes the exam.....icon_redface.gif
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    miller811 wrote: »
    this thread should be locked until he passes the exam.....icon_redface.gif

Or you could just not read it until the 9th icon_redface.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

Lighten up dude! It's just all about the journey.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Or you could just not read it until the 9th icon_redface.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

Your "journey" seriously stopped being cute, though. If you didn't know anything about IT or didn't have major-level certs, I could almost buy it. But you have certs that make me say "This guy knows what he's talking about." Especially when you pass a CCNA exam in one exam (and I'm presuming one try)!

It's almost like you're being a primadonna about it (and trust me, you are nowhere near that level....at least right now).

Those CCIE blogs....those are journeys. Heck, a CCNA blog because of the amount of money and time to spend building a lab is a journey. Security+ truly doesn't qualify if all you have to do is read a book and perform some practice exams to pass. Unlike a MCITP:EA, a CCNA, or heck, even the 70-270 (Windows XP!) where real labbing is involved. Security+ is just a study and pass exam.

Seriously, if you don't take this exam when you say you do, you're only going to look like a clown. I know you're better than that, and the good news is, so do you.
  • Options
    Not sure why you two are talking fighting words (or maybe I'm just reading that wrong as is common on the internet). I probably give him more crap about it than anyone else hear, but it is all in good fun. If he decides on Friday that he never wants to be take the test (and I really wouldn't be too surprised) then that is his choice. Would it be dumb? Probably, but it is his choice.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    How are things at work? I think I remember you saying you got really busy. I know what you mean about "lost interest". It honestly is a drag. It is almost like a chore lol. When are you planing on doing it? Are you still on track for the MCSE?

Still very busy. Been doing quite a bit of sql stuff. Just finished setting up a branch office and now I have another one to do. T1 p2p, router, firewall, server, exchange, printer, pc's etc.. And I'm doing this all by myself.

I only have about 30 minutes of good study time everyday...

Oct 7th is my 3 year anniversary, I might surprise my wife and take it on that day. Still on point for mcse, wanted to finish it by december but that's probably not going to happen.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Not sure why you two are talking fighting words (or maybe I'm just reading that wrong as is common on the internet). I probably give him more crap about it than anyone else hear, but it is all in good fun. If he decides on Friday that he never wants to be take the test (and I really wouldn't be too surprised) then that is his choice. Would it be dumb? Probably, but it is his choice.

Believe me, I don't flame or "fight" on the Internet....I'm not flaming him or anything. I leave that for the children.

My main reason is because if some new guy/gal were to read his thread before he/she read the others, he/she would be under the gross assumption that this test is terribly difficult. "If some guy with a CCNA: Security cert is intimidated by this exam, what chance to I have?" I'm not trying to belittle Bl8ckrouter in anyway, but from reading his blog and some of this thread, and based on his technical aptitude, this exam (if he wants to take it) should really be a no brainer. But as you and others have pointed out, whether in fun or not, this is really too long of a thread for a exam such as Security+ (or any CompTIA exam). And as I said earlier, if he wanted to say "I quit", I would totally respect that. But then this thread would seriously need to go...if only so that others who read do not get "scared" about the exam.

That's really my concern. I believe you and others would agree.
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005

It's only Security+, you just need to take the damn thing already. And I'd agree it should be locked until you actually attempt the test. This is more of a social event rather then a study log.
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Believe me, I don't flame or "fight" on the Internet....I'm not flaming him or anything. I leave that for the children.

My main reason is because if some new guy/gal were to read his thread before he/she read the others, he/she would be under the gross assumption that this test is terribly difficult. "If some guy with a CCNA: Security cert is intimidated by this exam, what chance to I have?" I'm not trying to belittle Bl8ckrouter in anyway, but from reading his blog and some of this thread, and based on his technical aptitude, this exam (if he wants to take it) should really be a no brainer. But as you and others have pointed out, whether in fun or not, this is really too long of a thread for a exam such as Security+ (or any CompTIA exam). And as I said earlier, if he wanted to say "I quit", I would totally respect that. But then this thread would seriously need to go...if only so that others who read do not get "scared" about the exam.

That's really my concern. I believe you and others would agree.

Good way to put it.