Options

Bl8ckr0uter's Security+ trek

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Still very busy. Been doing quite a bit of sql stuff. Just finished setting up a branch office and now I have another one to do. T1 p2p, router, firewall, server, exchange, printer, pc's etc.. And I'm doing this all by myself.

I only have about 30 minutes of good study time everyday...

Oct 7th is my 3 year anniversary, I might surprise my wife and take it on that day. Still on point for mcse, wanted to finish it by december but that's probably not going to happen.

Very good. Congrats on making it 3 years. I just celebrated my 2nd year in August. I read your blog post about DNS, pretty good information.
  • Options
    I would say don't take this the wrong way, but I really don't care how either one of you take it. icon_lol.gif Ok:
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Your "journey" seriously stopped being cute, though. If you
    Seriously, if you don't take this exam when you say you do, you're only going to look like a clown. I know you're better than that, and the good news is, so do you.

You first mistake was assuming that being cute was ever my intention. I am not sure if you thought that because I started a thread that it was a binding contract between the general tech exams community (or you just for the sake of discussion) and me but let me be the first to say that it wasn't. It was my thread and it wasn't for anyones entertainment at all. It did develop into something insane but that is just the way the world works.
    Believe me, I don't flame or "fight" on the Internet....I'm not flaming him or anything. I leave that for the children.

My main reason is because if some new guy/gal were to read his thread before he/she read the others, he/she would be under the gross assumption that this test is terribly difficult. "If some guy with a CCNA: Security cert is intimidated by this exam, what chance to I have?" I'm not trying to belittle Bl8ckrouter in anyway, but from reading his blog and some of this thread, and based on his technical aptitude, this exam (if he wants to take it) should really be a no brainer. But as you and others have pointed out, whether in fun or not, this is really too long of a thread for a exam such as Security+ (or any CompTIA exam). And as I said earlier, if he wanted to say "I quit", I would totally respect that. But then this thread would seriously need to go...if only so that others who read do not get "scared" about the exam.

That's really my concern. I believe you and others would agree.

I have to say that this is 100% BS. I mean besides the part of my technical aptitude icon_lol.gif. Truthfully there have been people who have passed the test in a week and that's fantastic! There have been plenty of threads on here about passing it after X time and that's swell. I personally don't care if my X is so much bigger than their X, the point is my X is mine and their X is there. I can live with that so you are going to have to.

Also who is to say how big or small my X is suppose to be (that is what she said)? You? Because if that's what you are thinking then please refer back to my second paragraph. Also you had no responsibility to read the thread in the first place. I also thought that you weren't going to reply until I passed. I gave you a date so now you wait.
    shednik wrote: »
    This is more of a social event rather then a study log.

Are you forgetting that this is in fact a forum? It was designed for social interaction.

I honestly don't get you guys one bit. If your concern was actually me passing the test than you would encourage me. If you didn't want me to pass you would say something along those lines. But it honestly seems like you guys are bitching for the purposes of bitching. icon_scratch.gif If you thought the thread was too long or a waste of time then why would you add to it? Why would you say something that in short would make me add to it? I mean even if I did go and sit the test five seconds from now, you would still complain about how long it took me. I mean what do you guys want? For me to go back and take it when I said I was going to originally? It's impossible icon_rolleyes.gif

icon_scratch.gif
    At any rate one thing I did learn about this forum is that don't say anything about any plans because some guys will start complaining if you don't meet their demands icon_lol.gif. Oh well. Regardless of my security+ completion date I am fine with it and my demands are the only ones I need to concern myself with.

So in short, keep you damn pants on until the 9th already. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Bitching for the purpose of bitching, my gf read that book!
    Oct 7th is my 3 year anniversary, I might surprise my wife and take it on that day. Still on point for mcse, wanted to finish it by december but that's probably not going to happen.
    I thought this was going to say I might surprise my wife and take the day off to spend with her. My gf would shoot me if I blew her off for a test. Congratulations on 3 years, that is quite the accomplishment these days.

I want to finish mine by December, I took a step back, but it is certainly still within site for both of us. There are only 3 tests left to take, and still many months. Don't write off a December goal in September. And if it does creep into January, so what? (Other than the TechExams community will banish you for not finishing on time)
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My wife wrote that book..lol
    And if I even open a book on my anniversary it turns into more flames than you'll ever see here. Happy anniversary, take your wife out instead.

I came back here because it's amusing and I can take all kinds of pokes at Bl8ckr0uter and hopefully he doesn't take them the wrong way.
    For anyone reading this the exam is tough and if you don't study for it or if you only study the Examcram book you will probably fail. Bl8ckr0uter could have taken this test a long time back but life has kind of got in the way. Stuff happens..........
    Still Bl8ckr0uter if you put it off again you're gonna be taking a major amount of poking from a lot of people here.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    Still Bl8ckr0uter if you put it off again you're gonna be taking a major amount of poking from a lot of people here.

Naw I am not. I actually care about getting it done now (not because of the pokes) but because I need to get it done before the end of the quarter so I can do LPIC and apply both to my degree ( 8 credits for the win!)
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Also who is to say how big or small my X is suppose to be (that is what she said)? You? Because if that's what you are thinking then please refer back to my second paragraph. Also you had no responsibility to read the thread in the first place. I also thought that you weren't going to reply until I passed. I gave you a date so now you wait.

icon_cool.gif

I am going to be extremely clear with you; I could not care any less how big or small your "X" is (whatever that is). Now that that's out of the way, you said your piece and I have more than said mine. You passing Security+, CCIE, the MCA, PMP or any other cert on the planet will not make a difference to me or anyone else one way or the other. It should only matter to you.

I will definitely hold my tounge until the 9th, and will look forward to at the very least you sitting for the exam (and of course passing). Do understand though that at the end of the day, you shouldn't be doing this for anyone (especially me) but yourself.

I'll be back on this thread until the 9th AND/OR (I do hope this isn't the case) some excuse pops up. By that time though, this thread should probably locked, but that of course is not my call.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Naw I am not. I actually care about getting it done now (not because of the pokes) but because I need to get it done before the end of the quarter so I can do LPIC and apply both to my degree ( 8 credits for the win!)

You should go take the test, pass it, and then tell everyone you failed. Following that, you should promptly say you are quitting Security+ studies. I think there would be a community fallout here if that happened. Also, hilarity would ensue. Good luck on the 9th man!
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Very good. Congrats on making it 3 years. I just celebrated my 2nd year in August. I read your blog post about DNS, pretty good information.

Congrats to you too. I wanted to keep my blog updated at least once a week but who has time for that right?
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I thought this was going to say I might surprise my wife and take the day off to spend with her. My gf would shoot me if I blew her off for a test. Congratulations on 3 years, that is quite the accomplishment these days.

I did take it off but she doesn't know that. She is a teacher so she has to work that day. So when she gets home, the house will be spotless and I'll have a new cert. icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am starting my S+ trek today. I am going to study from Darrils book and adding material if I need it. I will make a PDF from my notes so I hope that will help. If anyone is wondering I got a 70 percent on the practice assessment.

I want to take this test July 3rd.

I keep reading this blog hoping that one day I will read a I passed post.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    By that time though, this thread should probably locked, but that of course is not my call.

Why should this thread be locked? Lots of people (including myself) have used this thread to ask questions and report on their personal Security+ journey's as well as giving Bl8ckr0uter "advice" about his. (That is one of the big reasons that this thread is so long, most of it was us chitchatting back and fourth, and not Bl8ckr0uter at all.)

Yes, a lot of this thread is just idle small talk, but as someone said above. This is a forum, we are here to build connections and discuss about things.
  • Options
    Why should this thread be locked? Lots of people (including myself) have used this thread to ask questions and report on their personal Security+ journey's as well as giving Bl8ckr0uter "advice" about his. (That is one of the big reasons that this thread is so long, most of it was us chitchatting back and fourth, and not Bl8ckr0uter at all.)

Yes, a lot of this thread is just idle small talk, but as someone said above. This is a forum, we are here to build connections and discuss about things.
    A lot of this thread has been a lot of different people going back and forth. It's a good idea to have a thread like this occasionally. It could probably be renamed "Life happens while getting certified and other participants journeys"
    I've enjoyed taking the occasional poke at the OP and reading about other peoples Sec+ journey.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005

Are you forgetting that this is in fact a forum? It was designed for social interaction.

I honestly don't get you guys one bit. If your concern was actually me passing the test than you would encourage me. If you didn't want me to pass you would say something along those lines. But it honestly seems like you guys are bitching for the purposes of bitching. icon_scratch.gif If you thought the thread was too long or a waste of time then why would you add to it? Why would you say something that in short would make me add to it? I mean even if I did go and sit the test five seconds from now, you would still complain about how long it took me. I mean what do you guys want? For me to go back and take it when I said I was going to originally? It's impossible icon_rolleyes.gif

icon_scratch.gif
    At any rate one thing I did learn about this forum is that don't say anything about any plans because some guys will start complaining if you don't meet their demands icon_lol.gif. Oh well. Regardless of my security+ completion date I am fine with it and my demands are the only ones I need to concern myself with.

So in short, keep you damn pants on until the 9th already. icon_lol.gif

Encouragement is over-rated for motivation icon_lol.gif

Telling you to just take the damn thing already seems to motivate you more, it's all in good fun Kevin.

In all seriousness though I do think you worried too much and I do hope you pass it. However why I said this is more of a social event was generally a thread like this will detail the study ventures, this one included a lot more then that which added a lot of extra reading. good luck on the 9th.

joe
  • Options
    Sorry guys, I just really, really needed to get laid. But now that is settled :D

Anywho, tonight I will study some ports. The test is in about 8 days and I know I can pass. I have a long weekend in front of me (upgrades, upgrades, upgrades!!!)
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sorry guys, I just really, really needed to get laid. But now that is settled :D

Anywho, tonight I will study some ports. The test is in about 8 days and I know I can pass. I have a long weekend in front of me (upgrades, upgrades, upgrades!!!)

Good luck. And when you pass with 870 or something you can come back and post
    Why did I not take it earlier and just get it done?
  • Options
    Good luck. And when you pass with 870 or something you can come back and post

870?? He's going for 950
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    870?? He's going for 950

I think at that point some one would call ****, seeing as the highest possible is 900. That's like holding a 5th ace in poker! icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    IF I don't get at least a 950 I am not gonna post my score.

I had to go back a long way to find this one
  • Options
    citinerdcitinerd Member Posts: 266
    I am lost... Is KNWMinus and Bl8ckr0uter the same person?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    citinerd wrote: »

The illusion worked!
  • Options

Pysically or mentally? :)
  • Options

Like Bruce Wayne and Batman. Or Ben Tennyson and Humogosaur lol.
  • Options
    Probably more like Prince and that symbol I don't have on the keyboard.
    haha
    I was trying to state the KNWMinus law relating Net+ and CCNA in another post and couldn't decide which name to use. ( CCNA = (Net+)^6)
  • Options
    wasn't it ^9?
  • Options
    It may have been.
  • Options
    PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    I think at that point some one would call ****, seeing as the highest possible is 900. That's like holding a 5th ace in poker! icon_wink.gif

Orrrrr they accidentally scored him on some of those questions that weren't supposed to be... there ya go, just be like I DEMAND TO BE SCORED ON ALL QUESTIONS, you might be able to squeak a 950 that way!
  • Options
    Nothing beats 5 of a kind RK, thats how I win all my money.

So, 2 days left. Getting nervous? Still on??
  • Options
    I passed this morning with an 864. The test really isnt that difficult if you have a basic knowledge of infosec. Just take it already know, you'll pass.
  • Options
    Any last minute questions?
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    I'm excited to see the end results here.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    I passed this morning with an 864. The test really isnt that difficult if you have a basic knowledge of infosec. Just take it already knw, you'll pass.

I'm scheduled for tomorrow.
    Any last minute questions?

Not really. I am going to look over the organizational security stuff tonight and then sleep like a baby (I have put in over 50 hours this week NOT including today).