Options

It begins.

Comments

• Options
    rakemrakem Member Posts: 800
    4 hours so far today. Going back through the IP Routing section of INE book 1.

Policy routing
    Object tracking
    GRE tunnels
    Backup interfaces

No real issues with these.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    Mondays are rest days for me, so nothing last night.
    2 hour lab scheduled tonight and another on Thursday.
    5 hour lab scheduled on Saturday and Sunday.

Should be a good week.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    OER or PFR tonight.... Found it very complicated, took me ages to just get the first lab (3.14) in INE to work.
    I had the configuration exactly as the book but the OER master was saying the BR's will all inactive...

The only way I got it to work was to configure the BR's first, then the master..... Weird.

Anyway I need to do lots of work on this. Does anyone actually use it in the real world?
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    Man there is lots to know about this OER stuff. Crazyness.
    Another 2 hours working through the INE labs tonight - need to do lots more reading on this topic.

On another note - If anyone is interested a wrote a blog about how load balancers can be used in my works cloud computing environment. It would be good if you had a read and if you are feeling nice tweet it, and share in on FB (help me win a competition at work for the most tweet and likes)
    Cheers icon_smile.gif

Load Balancing and you | Blog - Ninefold
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    What a frustrating day.
    INE stuffed up all my rack rentals - the times were all wrong and I my session didn't start when it was supposed to.

Had to revert to my Dynamips setup but had all sorts of stupid problems with RIP and summarization.
    Annoyed.

Logged a case with INE about the times - I'm in Australia so I have my timezone set to GMT+10. This has been fine for months.
    Then suddenly today all my rack rental times were just wrong. The response from INE was less that compelling:

"When making reservtions, remember to press the "Refresh" button on your browser and navigated back to the Rack Rentals page to see the updated list of upcoming rack rentals. As for the time display, it's on the list of things to be fixed."

Yeah thanks, douche bag.

/rant
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    4 hours this morning.
    Fished off some review on RIP, now doing a EIGRP review.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    Dam, sat down to study tonight and just like that we had an outage at work.
    Only minor, but my 2 hour rack session went to waste.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    Manged an hour at work today. Made me feel a bit better for missing last night.

Should be able to do some more tomorrow at work also. Not much going on.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    5 hours or so today on INE labs.
    Finished review of EIGRP, now moving onto OSPF review for the next week.
    Mulitcast after OSPF
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    2 hours after working, reviewing the INE OSPF section - pretty much just working through the labs one at a time again and taking any relevant notes
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    al3kt.R***al3kt.R*** Member Posts: 118
    Hang in there m8 and keep us postedicon_wink.gif!!!
    Cheers to your good preparationicon_study.gif and to your successicon_thumright.gif
    "Tigranes: Good heavens! Mardonius, what kind of men have brought us to fight against? Men who do not compete for possessions, but for honour."--- Herodotus, The Histories
    "Nipson anomemata me monan opsin"--- Gregory of Nazianzus
    "Bruce Schneier's secure handshake is so strong, you won't be able to exchange keys with anyone else for days."--- Bruce Schneier Facts
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    rakem wrote: »
    2 hours after working, reviewing the INE OSPF section - pretty much just working through the labs one at a time again and taking any relevant notes

You're doing well, keep it up.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    Missed a lab last night due to working late.

As usual, two 5 hours labs scheduled over the weekend.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    5 hours this morning, reviewing OSPF.
    5 hours again tomorrow, will finish of OSPF, then on to multicast
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    took about 4 hours to finish off the OSPF labs today.
    Going to go out and enjoy the last few hours of sunshine... Multicast up next
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    rakem wrote: »
    Going to go out and enjoy the last few hours of sunshine...

Tell me about sunshine mate. It's been rainy and windy all day today, absolutely bucketing down at the moment. Sometimes I wish we had Brisbane's weather, not Darwin's though!

Been following your thread, inspiring to say the least! Keep up the good work.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Essendon wrote: »
    Tell me about sunshine mate. It's been rainy and windy all day today, absolutely bucketing down at the moment. Sometimes I wish we had Brisbane's weather, not Darwin's though!

Been following your thread, inspiring to say the least! Keep up the good work.

Cheers mate. Good to see some Aussie's on here!

Multicast theory for the past few days - it's one of my weeker areas so i'm reading and watching videos before attempting the labs on the weekend
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    Taking a Saturday off for a change!
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    back to it today... 4 hours of reading and labs for Multicast
    getting a lot more comfortable with it now!
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    I wrote a new blog about my attempt to get a new block of ipv4 addresses.

Let me know what you think... Leave some comments on the blog page....

IPv4 - worth more than gold? | Blog - Ninefold.com
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    An hour and 1/2 working through the multi-cast INE labs.
    Hope to have that finished after this weekend.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    4 hours so far today working through multicast INE labs.
    Taking a bit longer than expected (perhaps cause I got a bit drunk last night)

Its a long weekend here - Grand Final weekend for the NRL and AFL, lots of stuff going on that is taking my mind away from study so i'm petty happy with 4 hours today. Should be able to do another hour.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    couple of hours today... getting over multicast very quickly... Need to move on.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    On to Ipv6. need to spend a fair amount of time on this as I'll be responsible for our IPv6 plans in the future.

I'm struggling with a comment in task 9.3 on the INE workbook1 IPv6 section, the Notes in the answer say "global unicast range start with binary 001 (2000::/3) and therefore encompass the range 2000:: to 3FFF::"

Isn't binary 001 = to hex 1?
    or should it be 0010...

from there how to I get the /3 to be from 2000: up to 3FFF:icon_confused.gif
    The /3 is the first three bits right?

I must be missing something simple
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    reaper81reaper81 Member Posts: 631
    The first 3 bits for global unicast right now are 001. We have 16 bits in the first segment of the address. This means that currently we have
    001x xxxx xxxx xxxx

So the lowest address is 2000:: and the highest is 3FFF::

So currently we are assigning 1/8 of the available addresses. If we find out that the addressing policy was flawed we still have 7/8 left to do it the right way :)
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    Yea, but i don't get the /3.

In Ipv4 a /3 mask would mean your subnets are
    0 -32
    32-64
    64-96.....

So how do you count the /3 subnet range in IPv6?
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    reaper81reaper81 Member Posts: 631
    It's the same method but in v6 we have hex so every hex character is represented by 4 binary characters. The / notates the same thing as in v4 that the first 3 bits are set and we can modify the rest. There is no way we can get higher than 3 in the first 4 bits because the first three bits are set to 001 = 2. We can only change the fourth bith which is a 1, so the highest we can get in the first 4 bits is a 3. It takes a while to get a grip of it but just put it all in binary and it will make sense.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    Yea its slowly sinking in. I just have to keep reminding my self that every character in IPv6/HEX is 4 bits.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    about 5 hours today... all IPv6, some labs some reading.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    2 hours tonight, started working through the IPv6 INE labs. Going very well so far, i'm quite pleased with myIPv6 progress.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net