Options

Stopping LIFE to pursue CCIE Lab

NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccie/68140-chasing-ccie-written-8.html

I'm creating a new thread for the CCIE lab since the other one ^ was for the CCIE written.

I received the first router that I ordered today. Recovered the password... I was uploading the correct .bin file for my CCIE lab but the flash didn't have enough bytes. The correct .bin was 29mb and my router has 16mb. icon_sad.gif

I'm going to wait for all the gears to arrived so I can make an inventory of how much memory do I need. Its an issue since I bought it in ebay. It is cheap in ebay but the sellers sometimes are unable to check the IOS, nvram, flash for me since they don't have console cable or other reasons.

Back to studying

Comments

• Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    No need to stop life while you are doing the CCIE! Enjoy your studies but dont become another overcooked candidate. They give up inside 18 months!
  • Options
    Thanks Turgon.

Pretty much all I do at home is read and lab. I still go out and eat but very limited. Im going out next month for atleast 3 days but I will make sure I bring my laptop so I can watch INE videos, read some pdf files on my HP touchpad, and listen to my IPexperts audio. Its hard for me not to multitask since I am scared to fail.

No matter what happens. I refuse to quit until I passed. I spent wayyyyyyyy too much money and energy too back out.
  • Options
    Goodies that came!

Im going to check them right now and hope that the flash and NVRAM complying to my requirements. I hope i can push the correct IOS tonight.
  • Options
    labbing for 3hrs on a Friday night! Tomorrow will be a great day since I will be labbing the whole day and night. I am hoping to get atleast 12hrs of labbing tomorrow. I only need 1841's and then I need to order lots of memory upgrade. I will post detailed expenses after I get everything.
  • Options
    I overlapped my plan of studying for 3 hrs, I went over an hour so 4 hrs of studying tonight. Time to sleep and get more studying tomorrow. Tired of work icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    Did you get 12 hours of labbing in as planned or only 4?
  • Options
    last night was 3 but it went to 4. Today will be the 12hrs or more. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Here's the plan that I am trying to keep up with:

• Monday: 4hrs
    • Tuesday: 3hrs
    • Wednesday: 4hrs
    • Thursday: 3hrs
    • Friday: 6hrs
    • Saturday: 8-12hrs
    • Sunday: 6-8hrs
    I always listen to IP experts audio when I am driving to work and from work to home which is 45mins one way.
    I only listen on a technology that I will lab. Pretty much the IP expert audio is sorted the same as my Narbik's workbook.
  • Options
    Finally hit my 10 hours! Im tired and my eyes hurts but I will still push for 1 more hour to get 11hrs for today. back to labbing!
  • Options
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    Here's the plan that I am trying to keep up with:

• Monday: 4hrs
    • Tuesday: 3hrs
    • Wednesday: 4hrs
    • Thursday: 3hrs
    • Friday: 6hrs
    • Saturday: 8-12hrs
    • Sunday: 6-8hrs
    I always listen to IP experts audio when I am driving to work and from work to home which is 45mins one way.
    I only listen on a technology that I will lab. Pretty much the IP expert audio is sorted the same as my Narbik's workbook.

That is a brutal no lifer schedule you have there. Do some of those midweek study hours on workstime if you can. Be sure to leave time to recover at the weekend and spend time with your partner or wife.
  • Options
    Turgon wrote: »
    That is a brutal no lifer schedule you have there. Do some of those midweek study hours on workstime if you can. Be sure to leave time to recover at the weekend and spend time with your partner or wife.

You have no idea what happened today!

So my girl was checking my HP Touchpad and she saw that we are talking in the forum. She went crazy and told me that I was cheating on her with Turgon in this TE forum. That I was telling her my schedule. I was like "wtf????" What are you talking about??? So I checked my Touchpad and I see this thread! She thought that it is you in the avatar. I was laughing!!!

I explained to her about avatar, that anybody can post an avatar and you are not a girl. LMAO!!!!!!!
  • Options
    2hrs of extending my lab and I am still not done. I still have to move the switches all the way up and arrange the routers.

I am still waiting for 1 1841 router and access server. I still need to order one more 1841. Hopefully, I can finally buy it this friday since I get paid that day.

3hrs of labbing tonight. CCIE does really eat your whole life. The time I spent on studying is just crazy! Anyhow, I pass by frame relay and I am currently in RIP. Im hoping to finish the foundation sometime this week and jump into the Advanced RS 4.0 WB.
  • Options
    reaper81reaper81 Member Posts: 631
    Wow, you're moving fast. Don't get burned out and don't go through things too fast just to make progress. Looking good for you :) Keep your GF happy :)
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    reaper81 wrote: »
    Wow, you're moving fast. Don't get burned out and don't go through things too fast just to make progress. Looking good for you :) Keep your GF happy :)
    hahaha You are way ahead of me. Im just trying to keep up with you and Turgon. icon_lol.gif

Shes still affected by it. I guess she doesnt get that my success is her success. How are you dealing with yours?

Just got done installing 4 WIC-1T and 1 - NM-4A/S. Im still waiting for 4 WIC-1T.

The sucky part is most if routers didnt have the correct MB Flash. I need to order those sometime this week too.grrr

• Options
    2hrs of extending my lab and I am still not done. I still have to move the switches all the way up and arrange the routers.

I am still waiting for 1 1841 router and access server. I still need to order one more 1841. Hopefully, I can finally buy it this friday since I get paid that day.

3hrs of labbing tonight. CCIE does really eat your whole life. The time I spent on studying is just crazy! Anyhow, I pass by frame relay and I am currently in RIP. Im hoping to finish the foundation sometime this week and jump into the Advanced RS 4.0 WB.

Be wary of frame-relay, there are many lab destroyer scenarios there, learn it well, compression, FreeK, FRTS and all the interface and timer havoc for your IGPS!
  • Options
    hahaha You are way ahead of me. Im just trying to keep up with you and Turgon. icon_lol.gif

Shes still affected by it. I guess she doesnt get that my success is her success. How are you dealing with yours?

Just got done installing 4 WIC-1T and 1 - NM-4A/S. Im still waiting for 4 WIC-1T.

The sucky part is most if routers didnt have the correct MB Flash. I need to order those sometime this week too.grrr

Wife or girlfriend control? It's the one thing no one talks about when studying for this track. If you both work different shifts that is an advantage as you can study when you are alone in the house. Some candidates get lots of buy in where their partner has no issue with you coming home from work, having something to eat and then leaving them alone for 3 hours each evening while you do labs late into the night. Some partners have no issue with you hijacking the whole weekend while you do practice labs. The thing to remember is that while you are engrossed accomplishing something during all these hours, they sit alone and can feel neglected. Once this crosses 6 months it can get very old. Be sure to check in and have off nights and weekends when you do things together. Many CCIE candidates have lost relationships.
  • Options
    You have no idea what happened today!

So my girl was checking my HP Touchpad and she saw that we are talking in the forum. She went crazy and told me that I was cheating on her with Turgon in this TE forum. That I was telling her my schedule. I was like "wtf????" What are you talking about??? So I checked my Touchpad and I see this thread! She thought that it is you in the avatar. I was laughing!!!

I explained to her about avatar, that anybody can post an avatar and you are not a girl. LMAO!!!!!!!

That's routergirl, an iconic look from the late nineties when the Catalyst 5000 was king and the babes just loved the geeks. There are many female CCIE's and some are just as hot.
  • Options
    reaper81reaper81 Member Posts: 631

I keep the weekends free. That is my family time. Also I don't start labbing before my son goes to bed. She understands the benefits it will bring to the table even though it can get boring some nights. Also I want this to be done if/when we have another kid and she understands that as well. Then I could spend all the time with my family instead of studying.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    I keep the weekends free. That is my family time. Also I don't start labbing before my son goes to bed. She understands the benefits it will bring to the table even though it can get boring some nights. Also I want this to be done if/when we have another kid and she understands that as well. Then I could spend all the time with my family instead of studying.

That's a good balanced plan. With two little ones the weekends are pretty full in our house so I keep them clear.
  • Options
    froggy3132000froggy3132000 Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You have two approaches

1) No life and study harder

2) Have a life and study slower

It depends on your family and lifestyle.

I personally took option 1. It paid off in the end.

Good luck to you both!
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Are you completely replacing dynamips in your lab with real gear?
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    You have two approaches

Good luck to you both!

Depends on something else as well. Your work. If you are full on at work there's no studytime in the office. Further if you have a certain type of work, work that can take months to sort out, you tend to go home with a head full of mush, a lot to get up for the next day and need a complete rest, not racktime.

Spend time at work studying if you can, study evenings and weekends if you can. I think that's the best way, but the worst if you are maxed at work and at home and dont have buy in from your wife/gf. You wont pass, they will leave, and you will have issues at work. Go for a more realistic programme if that is your lot. It all depends on what you have on your hands, peoples expectations of you and your time, and what you have to work with. Plan for what you can achieve, not what you cant.
  • Options
    Turgon wrote: »
    Wife or girlfriend control? It's the one thing no one talks about when studying for this track. If you both work different shifts that is an advantage as you can study when you are alone in the house. Some candidates get lots of buy in where their partner has no issue with you coming home from work, having something to eat and then leaving them alone for 3 hours each evening while you do labs late into the night. Some partners have no issue with you hijacking the whole weekend while you do practice labs. The thing to remember is that while you are engrossed accomplishing something during all these hours, they sit alone and can feel neglected. Once this crosses 6 months it can get very old. Be sure to check in and have off nights and weekends when you do things together. Many CCIE candidates have lost relationships.
    I dont want to lose her. I want her to understand that I have to make sacrifices to become successful. I dont even spend time seeing my friends at all just to study. Its a tough one since she does feel neglected. Time will only tell what will happen to us in 6 months.
  • Options
    Thats good that your wife understands it.
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I dont want to lose her. I want her to understand that I have to make sacrifices to become successful. I dont even spend time seeing my friends at all just to study. Its a tough one since she does feel neglected. Time will only tell what will happen to us in 6 months.

Does she understand that? My wife didn't get it until the CCIE for some reason. Maybe it's because I have been talking about it for so long and driving home the type of commitment that it takes. I wish you luck man!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options

Life gets in the way all the time in something like this. You could be studying for 2 years. It isn't time that will tell what will happen in 6 months, a lot of that is down to managing expectations and how you handle yourself. Be sure to talk it over regularly and when she needs you to wind down a little do so. A number of TE members have found themselves alone after spells when their significant other was supposedly happy doing their own thing alone in the next room for 6 - 12 months while they cracked on with endless hours studying.
  • Options
    You have two approaches

Good luck to you both!

I picked "1"

I am sticking with it until i passed. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    ehnde wrote: »
    Are you completely replacing dynamips in your lab with real gear?
    Yes. I am building a full lab just like INE's.
  • Options
    jamesp1983 wrote: »
    Does she understand that? My wife didn't get it until the CCIE for some reason. Maybe it's because I have been talking about it for so long and driving home the type of commitment that it takes. I wish you luck man!

Ive told her that so many times we just keep arguing about me labbing and about her feeling neglected.
  • Options
    Ive told her that so many times we just keep arguing about me labbing and about her feeling neglected.

It will only get worse. Try a little give and take or you may very well be spending Christmas alone.