Options

Stopping LIFE to pursue CCIE Lab

Comments

• Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    It's sad but when things aren't going well @ the house and the wife starts yelling... I keep wondering how I can police the voice traffic to the min cir! For some reason the interface won't accept the policy icon_smile.gif.

On a serious note I'm glad to see you're dedicating at least one day a week doing other things than studying. You are making wonderful progress and while it may not seem as important as the studies, the time spent with the significant other truly is priceless.

Why not surprise her this weekend with a dedicated night out with your undivided attention. You better believe I will be doing the same thing on tuesday after taking the QoS exam... I already booked the reservation, babysitter, and planned activities. And yes, after she's passed out if you're still awake its ok to crack open the book (IMO).
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    password recovery is owning me! ebay routers are cheap but they always need password recovery. I think I am already a password recovery expert! lol Also, I need to buy flash memories! I cant install my IOS since the flash doesnt meet the IOS size requirement. Anyhow, I'm on a hunt for my last gear which is 1841 router! After that, I can take pictures of the lab! Its beautifulllllllllllllllllll "tears of joy" LMAO!

So far i need
    2 x 64mb flash for 1841 - id probably need another one for my last 1841.
    1 x 16mb flash for 2522

im going to check the flash of the other routers tomorrow.
    Also, I need 1841 brackets but that's not important right now.
  • Options
    All I'm saying is give up a day for her every once in awhile, and try and plan it in advance, that way she has something to look forward to, and on those days, take off the nerd hat, and make it all about her (ie, dont go lab after she sleeps!).

Look at it this way - yeah, it's frustrating and can disrupt your study schedule, but if you love the girl, and she gets fed up with you and breaks it off, how much of an effect is *that* going to have on your study schedule? :)

I'd be willing to bet that I'm one of the most cantankerous and unsympathetic bastards on these board, and even *I'm* saying don't strain your relationship with the SO hehe
    Yeah, Im giving up the saturday this weekend. lol
  • Options
    down77 wrote: »
    It's sad but when things aren't going well @ the house and the wife starts yelling... I keep wondering how I can police the voice traffic to the min cir! For some reason the interface won't accept the policy icon_smile.gif.

On a serious note I'm glad to see you're dedicating at least one day a week doing other things than studying. You are making wonderful progress and while it may not seem as important as the studies, the time spent with the significant other truly is priceless.

Why not surprise her this weekend with a dedicated night out with your undivided attention. You better believe I will be doing the same thing on tuesday after taking the QoS exam... I already booked the reservation, babysitter, and planned activities. And yes, after she's passed out if you're still awake its ok to crack open the book (IMO).

Shes actually complaining about the HP Touchpad being so bright. lol
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    password recovery is owning me! ebay routers are cheap but they always need password recovery. I think I am already a password recovery expert! lol Also, I need to buy flash memories! I cant install my IOS since the flash doesnt meet the IOS size requirement. Anyhow, I'm on a hunt for my last gear which is 1841 router! After that, I can take pictures of the lab! Its beautifulllllllllllllllllll "tears of joy" LMAO!

So far i need
    2 x 64mb flash for 1841 - id probably need another one for my last 1841.
    1 x 16mb flash for 2522

im going to check the flash of the other routers tomorrow.
    Also, I need 1841 brackets but that's not important right now.

Its certainly a lot of fun building your own lab. Doing the password recovery, checking the memory, buying the flash that you need, installing and upgrading the IOS. For my 2500's I had to upgrade flash and SIMM or was it DIMM? Can't remember now. Then its brackets, rack, label devices, cable, terminal server config. Tis a beautiful thing a lab.
  • Options
    Turgon wrote: »
    Its certainly a lot of fun building your own lab. Doing the password recovery, checking the memory, buying the flash that you need, installing and upgrading the IOS. For my 2500's I had to upgrade flash and SIMM or was it DIMM? Can't remember now. Then its brackets, rack, label devices, cable, terminal server config. Tis a beautiful thing a lab.
    I know man. All these small things are holding me back. I think my full lab will be up by the end of next month. Labbing for an hour or 2 before i go out and watch the UFC fight at the bar. Also, I put an alarm on my cellphone to battle someone on ebay for my last gear (1841)
  • Options
    well finally bought my last router today. The only issue is the memorys and brackets. I'm going to buy the memorys this week. I can't wait to finished this lab. I spent so much money. I think my ccie journey already hit atleast 8k. (Lab, written + wb)
  • Options
    woischwoisch Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, let us see some pictures from your lab. ;)
  • Options
    Ill post it as soon as its complete. I didn't install the routers in the rack since I have to open it up when I upgrade the flash.
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I had a teacher in college who was married to a computer programmer who spent all her time writing program after work. Time goes by and he decides to divorce her because she spends no time with him. A year or so after they divorced she finishes writing the program and lands a job making 3 mil a year because of the program.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options

Here's some pictures.

I just checked all my routers and my list and I am missing a 2501. I believed I only received one. I messaged the guy so far to send me the 2nd 2501.

Also, I might spend atleast $100 for the flash memory. I need these:

NEED

(R1) 2610xm = 32mb flash

(R4) 1841 = 64 mb flash

(R5) 1841 = 64 mb flash

(BB1) 2522 = 16mb flash

• Options
    Priston wrote: »
    I had a teacher in college who was married to a computer programmer who spent all her time writing program after work. Time goes by and he decides to divorce her because she spends no time with him. A year or so after they divorced she finishes writing the program and lands a job making 3 mil a year because of the program.

He must be banging his head to the wall after that.
  • Options
    Can someone help me?

I'm trying to IOS upgrade as2511-RJ and Im having hard time. I googled it and spent lots of time trying different ways but I have failed.

Is there a way to upload it in the console?

I tried uploading it in Hyperterminal and it didnt work

AccessServer#copy flash ?
    rcp Copy to an rcp server
    tftp Copy to a TFTP server

AccessServer#copy f
    AccessServer#copy flaa
    AccessServer#copy fl
    AccessServer#copy flas
    AccessServer#copy flash ?
    rcp Copy to an rcp server
    tftp Copy to a TFTP server

AccessServer#copy flash tft
    AccessServer#copy flash tftp

System flash directory:
    File Length Name/status
    1 4421212 c2500-i-l.112-15a.P
    [4421276 bytes used, 12355940 available, 16777216 total]
    Address or name of remote host [192.168.2.12]?
    Source file name? c2500-is-l.122-15.t17.bin
    Destination file name [c2500-is-l.122-15.t17.bin]?
    ERR: 'c2500-is-l.122-15.t17.bin' open - file not found

I believe that its because i havent assigned an IP to the router like what this link is saying

How to load IOS images on a 2511 - Ars Technica OpenForum

conf t
    int e0
    ip address 192.168.1.102 255.255.255.252
    no shut
    ctrl-z

However, if you look at the router above. I dont see any Ethernet port 0. Its not the async and iots not the aux.

But i see it in the CLI

AccessServer#s ip int br
    Interface IP-Address OK? Method Status Protocol

Ethernet0 unassigned YES unset up down

Serial0 unassigned YES unset down down

AccessServer#
    AS1.jpg 83.4K
  • Options
    I think I know what the problem is. I need a BL50R

VbbsJX6oUGuQMWES8V5k3g==.jpg

(AUI-->RJ45)

i have to spend more money GRRRR

Is there another way to upload a new IOS without buying this?
  • Options
    I think I know what the problem is. I need a BL50R

VbbsJX6oUGuQMWES8V5k3g==.jpg

(AUI-->RJ45)

i have to spend more money GRRRR

Is there another way to upload a new IOS without buying this?

You can Xmodem the IOS through the console port but it takes a long time. Yes you need tranceivers for 2500's ;)
  • Options
    Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    Look at modifying the console ports baud rate prior to the transfer or it will take FOREVER. Its going to be slow no matter what you do, but at least it will be quicker.
  • Options
    rakemrakem Member Posts: 800
    Ahhhh i had to xmodem a IOS to a 3560 yesterday.
    Set the BAUD to 115620 or something, it took about 25 minutes.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    I tried doing it through xmodem but the router didnt give me that option. I remembered i typed:
    copy flash ?

it gave me
    rcp and tftp but not xmodem.

Ive done that before on fixing a corrupt 3750s.

Anyway, I bought the transceiver and all the memorys that i needed. Also, my 2501 that i never received has been sent today. I probably would buy a memory for the coming 2501. Im guessing it only has 8mb like the first 2501 i received.

Thanks guys!
  • Options
    Its all good. You can start hammering the Vol 1 exercises with what you have at home. Get over 100 hours asap.
  • Options
    Its all good. You can start hammering the Vol 1 exercises with what you have at home. Get over 100 hours asap.
    Yeah Ive been hammering Vol 1. I started Vol II on the weekends but i really need my complete lab on that one. anyway, back to labbing.
  • Options
    5 hours of just reading and (INE videos [STP, OSPF, EIGRP]) watching videos today. I will go back to lab again tomorrow.

Back to studying.
  • Options
    hammering Vol I for the 2nd time around. 4hrs tonight of labbing!
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    You're getting close to 100 lab hours which is a great early milestone. How are you doing with taking notes?
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    down77 wrote: »
    You're getting close to 100 lab hours which is a great early milestone. How are you doing with taking notes?

I have a lot of word documents saved in my computer and lots of white papers that I draw the topology and sometimes take notes. I've changed coming from CCNA > CCNP > CCIE studying. Now, I always asked myself "explain to me how STP, BGP, EIGRP, OSPF etc works?" From there, I can find my weakness and read and really understand those technologies.
  • Options
    I got home, took a shower, eating panda express while labbing. I'm aiming for 5hrs tonight!

Back to labbing!
  • Options
    Just finished labbing for 5hrs and 30mins. Im tired! Definitely, easier the 2nd time around. Little things were just clicking in my brain. I can say that I can absorb and understand it now. off to bed then labbing again tomorrow night.
  • Options
    Just finished labbing for 5hrs and 30mins. Im tired! Definitely, easier the 2nd time around. Little things were just clicking in my brain. I can say that I can absorb and understand it now. off to bed then labbing again tomorrow night.

Congratulations. With a written pass and 100 lab hours under your belt your studies are about to step up a level. Many CCIE candidates give up before hitting this milestone in their preparations.
  • Options
    Congratulations. With a written pass and 100 lab hours under your belt your studies are about to step up a level. Many CCIE candidates give up before hitting this milestone in their preparations.
    To tell you the truth, before hitting 90hrs, I was doubting myself. I was asking myself, "is this what you really want to do?, what if it takes 2 years?, do I really have the time and guts to be labbing all the time?"
    Its very tough labbing at night, all alone while the world is having fun.
    However, here I am studying even more.
  • Options
    My mistakes and my suffering.
    1. I bought a Narbik WB and didnt ask narbik about the topology since I thought he would have the same lab gears as INE. WRONG! He doesn have the same topology so he doesnt have the same lab gears!
    2. The thing is, I thought that GNS3 was enough for me. WRONG! So at the time that I knew that a full blown lab is the right way for me. I didnt email Narbik and ask what lab gears do I need. I thought that INE's lab gears would be the same. That is why i bought all my lab gears basing from INE's site.

I talked to narbik a couple days ago after figuring out that i F****d UP big time! He said he recommends TEN 3725's which is averaging of $200-250 each = $2000 if its 200 each.

INE website says

R1
    2610XM
    2 - WIC-1T
    32*

R2
    2610XM
    2 - WIC-1T
    32*

R3
    2611XM
    1 - NM-4A/S

R4
    2 - WIC-1T

R5
    2 - WIC-1T

R6
    1 - WIC-1T

SW1
    Catalyst 3560-24TS-E
    N/A
    N/A
    N/A

SW2
    Catalyst 3560-24TS-E
    N/A
    N/A
    N/A

SW3
    Catalyst 3550-24 EMI
    N/A
    N/A
    N/A

SW4
    Catalyst 3550-24 EMI
    N/A
    N/A
    N/A

BB1 / Frame Relay Switch
    N/A

BB2
    N/A

BB3
    N/A

Access Server
    2511**
    N/A

I have Sw1/2/3/4

The difference is, Narbiks WB needs more fastethernet ports:

R1 -> Narbiks WB needs 2 fa ports. vs INE only need 1 fa ports
    R2 -> Narbiks WB needs 2 fa ports. vs INE only need 1 fa ports

R3 -> Narbiks WB needs 2 fa ports vs INE have 2 fa ports
    R4 -> Narbiks WB needs 2 fa ports vs INE have 2 fa ports
    R5 -> Narbiks WB needs 2 fa ports vs INE have 2 fa ports
    R6 -> Narbiks WB needs 2 fa ports vs INE have 2 fa ports
    BB1 -> Narbiks WB needs 2 fa ports vs INE has aux (do i need a transceiver for every connection?)
    BB2 -> Narbiks WB needs 2 fa ports vs INE has aux (do i need a transceiver for every connection?)
    BB3 -> Narbiks WB needs 2 fa ports vs INE has aux (do i need a transceiver for every connection?)

Do you guys see any other way to make this work?
    If not, then I will end up buying 7 x 3725s and just sell all my routers except the THREE 1841's.
  • Options
    My mistakes and my suffering.
    1. I bought a Narbik WB and didnt ask narbik about the topology since I thought he would have the same lab gears as INE. WRONG! He doesn have the same topology so he doesnt have the same lab gears!
    2. The thing is, I thought that GNS3 was enough for me. WRONG! So at the time that I knew that a full blown lab is the right way for me. I didnt email Narbik and ask what lab gears do I need. I thought that INE's lab gears would be the same. That is why i bought all my lab gears basing from INE's site.

I talked to narbik a couple days ago after figuring out that i F****d UP big time! He said he recommends TEN 3725's which is averaging of $200-250 each = $2000 if its 200 each.

INE website says

R1
    2610XM
    2 - WIC-1T
    32*

R2
    2610XM
    2 - WIC-1T
    32*

R3
    2611XM
    1 - NM-4A/S

R4
    2 - WIC-1T

R5
    2 - WIC-1T

R6
    1 - WIC-1T

SW1
    Catalyst 3560-24TS-E
    N/A
    N/A
    N/A

SW2
    Catalyst 3560-24TS-E
    N/A
    N/A
    N/A

SW3
    Catalyst 3550-24 EMI
    N/A
    N/A
    N/A

SW4
    Catalyst 3550-24 EMI
    N/A
    N/A
    N/A

BB1 / Frame Relay Switch
    N/A

BB2
    N/A

BB3
    N/A

Access Server
    2511**
    N/A

I have Sw1/2/3/4

The difference is, Narbiks WB needs more fastethernet ports:

R1 -> Narbiks WB needs 2 fa ports. vs INE only need 1 fa ports
    R2 -> Narbiks WB needs 2 fa ports. vs INE only need 1 fa ports

R3 -> Narbiks WB needs 2 fa ports vs INE have 2 fa ports
    R4 -> Narbiks WB needs 2 fa ports vs INE have 2 fa ports
    R5 -> Narbiks WB needs 2 fa ports vs INE have 2 fa ports
    R6 -> Narbiks WB needs 2 fa ports vs INE have 2 fa ports
    BB1 -> Narbiks WB needs 2 fa ports vs INE has aux (do i need a transceiver for every connection?)
    BB2 -> Narbiks WB needs 2 fa ports vs INE has aux (do i need a transceiver for every connection?)
    BB3 -> Narbiks WB needs 2 fa ports vs INE has aux (do i need a transceiver for every connection?)

Do you guys see any other way to make this work?
    If not, then I will end up buying 7 x 3725s and just sell all my routers except the THREE 1841's.

Why not leave the lab as it is and use it for the INE workbooks? You can use Narbiks workbooks for supplementary reading and if you are creative with the INE topology you can always re-engineer some of Narbiks exercises to work with that topology. You learn things just doing that, I have when I have tried to create a scenario with less than desired equipment topologies at my disposal over the years. Dont get hung up!