Options

Stopping LIFE to pursue CCIE Lab

Comments

• Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    Turgon wrote: »
    It will only get worse. Try a little give and take or you may very well be spending Christmas alone.
    It does feel like it will get worst.
  • Options
    cxzar20cxzar20 Member Posts: 168
    I know that this is the pinnacle for IT certifications but I find it ridiculous that one would stop their lives and strain the relationship with someone who loves them to get a certification. At the end of the day that is all it is, this isn't a quest from a deity. What is the CCIE/money truly worth if you lose all your friends and family?
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Females > CCIE or Technology

Money > Females

LOL!

JK :P
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    Studying towards and working on the CCIE is an important goal, but like all things in life you have to have balance. If nothing else, sit down and talk with her and try to spend at least one evening a week away from the CCIE Material... it may work wonders.

My wife and I sat down a long time ago and discussed the need to reserve time for each other no matter how busy we get. She understands that at some point I will be putting in 3+ hours a night, and at least one full day each weekend towards advanced studies and labs. We also had the discussion that it's important for me to remain an active part of her and my son's lives regardless of what we are working on in our professional lives, which includes certification. Try reserving just one night a week for the two of you. Remember, one of the most critical skills to master in the pursuit towards your CCIE is time management, and this would also include in your personal life as well!
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    cxzar20 wrote: »
    I know that this is the pinnacle for IT certifications but I find it ridiculous that one would stop their lives and strain the relationship with someone who loves them to get a certification. At the end of the day that is all it is, this isn't a quest from a deity. What is the CCIE/money truly worth if you lose all your friends and family?

Exactly. The CCIE isn't the holy grail. I have seen too many people wasted pursuing it at all costs. You lose the partner, lose the job, the lab goes on ebay, you dont pass. Even if you do, you are a mess. To the OP, this quest could take 2+ years. Work it out at home.
  • Options
    down77 wrote: »
    Studying towards and working on the CCIE is an important goal, but like all things in life you have to have balance. If nothing else, sit down and talk with her and try to spend at least one evening a week away from the CCIE Material... it may work wonders.

My wife and I sat down a long time ago and discussed the need to reserve time for each other no matter how busy we get. She understands that at some point I will be putting in 3+ hours a night, and at least one full day each weekend towards advanced studies and labs. We also had the discussion that it's important for me to remain an active part of her and my son's lives regardless of what we are working on in our professional lives, which includes certification. Try reserving just one night a week for the two of you. Remember, one of the most critical skills to master in the pursuit towards your CCIE is time management, and this would also include in your personal life as well!

Correct. It seems some sanity is prevailing from the dot.com, cert feeding frenzy period. Most people dont make it big, Look after yourself. Relationships matter.

Let me quote from Jeff Doyle's book, a quote that many of you have never seen although you may have read the book..

'Do not strain the expectations of those close to you, it will damage your studies'

As I have said before, out of every 50 written passers, only one passes the lab. Most of them work for Cisco. There is a reason for that. 18000 R&S lab passers isn't a high return for 15 years of the track and all the hype. The training companies have made a fortune from good people who didn't get through this thing. Pace yourself!
  • Options
    After jiu jitsu, I ate dinner, take a shower, throw clothes on the laundry and then 1 hour of reading and 2 hours of labbing tonight.
  • Options
    cxzar20 wrote: »

Its a tough call my i want to prioritize my CCIE. My family will be there no matter what. I just hope other people will understand what I am trying to do. Either or I will keep going in this journey.
  • Options
    chrisone wrote: »
    Females > CCIE or Technology

Money > Females

LOL!

JK :P
    I thought females follows the money? look at donald trump. lol
  • Options
    down77 wrote: »

Im trying to balance it but somewhere down the road, something has to give. I already gave up 1 day of a weekend but i will lab as soon as shes asleep. lol
  • Options
    Exactly. The CCIE isn't the holy grail. I have seen too many people wasted pursuing it at all costs. You lose the partner, lose the job, the lab goes on ebay, you dont pass. Even if you do, you are a mess. To the OP, this quest could take 2+ years. Work it out at home.
    Yeah, I thought about it. I asked myself "what if it takes 2 years?" I just have to keep going and stay positive.
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    I kind of disagree about a significant other > CCIE. It's situational. Have you guys ever been divorced? CCIE is a good test. If she makes it through this, she would probably make a good wife because that shows commitment on her part and devotion to you. Hope you two are on the same page, though.

Anyone that has spent thousands on a girlfriend only to lose her 6 months later knows what I'm talking about.

Good luck man, keep at it!
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    ehnde wrote: »
    I kind of disagree about a significant other > CCIE. It's situational. Have you guys ever been divorced? CCIE is a good test. If she makes it through this, she would probably make a good wife because that shows commitment on her part and devotion to you. Hope you two are on the same page, though.

Anyone that has spent thousands on a girlfriend only to lose her 6 months later knows what I'm talking about.

Good luck man, keep at it!
    She knows that I am prioritizing CCIE than her. We got into an argument before and I told her that my career is a priority. She was mad and then I asked her:
    Are you going to pay my bills and my debt if I don't get my CCIE?
    What will happen to me or what do I get if you leave me next year or in the future and I stopped my CCIE for you right now?
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    What will happen to me or what do I get if you leave me next year or in the future and I stopped my CCIE for you right now?

That's the most important question...
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Do your best kim. It's not easy. I was on a roll a couple of years ago, and it just wasn't going well between work and the family. I decided to pursue other certs in the meantime. Now, I'm back to it (2 years later), and the family is in a MUCH better place for me to prepare for this. Basically, it seems like my signifigant other "came around" and realized it was an important part of my career.

Also worth mentioning. My spouse and I treat the CCIE like school, or a part-time job. There's no option to not do it. We did make a deal though, if she hangs in there while I do this, then as soon as I'm done, she'll go to school full-time to finish her degree, and I'll entertain the kids while she studies (like she does for me now)

Good luck anyway. I'm clearly seeing the IE is a marathon, not a sprint. So what if it takes you 5 years. As long as you make forward progress, and ultimately reach your goal.
  • Options
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    Do your best kim. It's not easy. I was on a roll a couple of years ago, and it just wasn't going well between work and the family. I decided to pursue other certs in the meantime. Now, I'm back to it (2 years later), and the family is in a MUCH better place for me to prepare for this. Basically, it seems like my signifigant other "came around" and realized it was an important part of my career.

Also worth mentioning. My spouse and I treat the CCIE like school, or a part-time job. There's no option to not do it. We did make a deal though, if she hangs in there while I do this, then as soon as I'm done, she'll go to school full-time to finish her degree, and I'll entertain the kids while she studies (like she does for me now)

Good luck anyway. I'm clearly seeing the IE is a marathon, not a sprint. So what if it takes you 5 years. As long as you make forward progress, and ultimately reach your goal.
    Thanks Mike.
    I understand that you have to slow down. I think you are in the great position in your career. I am hoping to be there also but it will take time for me. I think she is hanging in there. She already mentioned she wants a new car and go to school full time like your wife.

I agree that this is not a marathon. There is just so much to remember and understand again. Also, its a lonely road since we are on our own when studying. We have google, ipexpert, ine, narbik, books and etc but at the end, it is us that try to understand it. We have no teachers to guide or help us on the spot.

If it takes 5 years? Then after the first year, I will be the best that I can be because of studying, labbing and having my own home lab. I will probably burnt out but Im sure the journey will make me a better Network guru. Also, I have to stay positive no matter what happens.

EDIT: 3-4hrs of OSPF and EIGRP Labbing tonight! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
    First and foremost, I hope everyone succeeds in their journey. That being said, it's family over EVERYTHING!

Turgon, I never saw that quote before, thanks for sharing. +1
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There is just so much to remember and understand again. Also, its a lonely road since we are on our own when studying. We have google, ipexpert, ine, narbik, books and etc but at the end, it is us that try to understand it. We have no teachers to guide or help us on the spot.

You're right with that. It's a little depressing when you think about it. You have all this to learn, and nobody to depend on. I think that gets a lot of people right off the bat. YOU are responsible for either passing, or failing. No blaming your teacher.

I think I'm in an OK spot in my career, but I personally am afraid to say "I'm at a good spot," for fear of becoming complacent. Big surprise, I'm extremely ambitious, and hopefully..if I can stick it out this time...the CCIE will just be the beginning.

I'm sure you'll do well regardless.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Ive told her that so many times we just keep arguing about me labbing and about her feeling neglected.

I almost ran into a female road block with my studies. I recently met and started dating someone who might just turn out to be my soulmate. So on top of my job and my CCIE studies, I'm now juggling a relationship, and a long distance one at that, since we're 2 hours apart.

I'm fortunate in that she's a Civil Engineer, so she understands the importance of getting your credentials straight. She understands that I do need to study, and that's why I can't spend 3 hours a night on the phone with her when we're apart. We've compromised to the point where what time we can spend together is quality time (we've got our social calendar planned out for the next three months), but that I sometimes have to withdraw into my nerdcave and tune out the rest of the world. It may slow my studying time down a bit, but I think it's worth it - she reminds me that there's things in life besides tech, and that I need to enjoy it occasionally. The relaxation I get from that reminder actually helps my studying, as I'm much more relaxed when I go into it.

If she sticks with me through it, I might just ask her to marry me.

I'd recommend sitting down with your wife and planning some date nights where it's all about her, and then follow through on it. I think if you do that, she'll be much more understanding, and forgiving, about your need for alone time.
  • Options
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    You're right with that. It's a little depressing when you think about it. You have all this to learn, and nobody to depend on. I think that gets a lot of people right off the bat. YOU are responsible for either passing, or failing. No blaming your teacher.

I think I'm in an OK spot in my career, but I personally am afraid to say "I'm at a good spot," for fear of becoming complacent. Big surprise, I'm extremely ambitious, and hopefully..if I can stick it out this time...the CCIE will just be the beginning.

I'm sure you'll do well regardless.

i think anybody that attempts to overcome CCIE is ambitious. However, like you, CCIE will just be the beginning for me. I want to build my own business. I want to learn more after CCIE. I want to overcome another CCIE (wireless or security), learn more security, knock out security certs (CISSP and C|EH) and pretty much never stop learning. I dont want to be the old me that stopped learning after getting a job.
  • Options
    I almost ran into a female road block with my studies. I recently met and started dating someone who might just turn out to be my soulmate. So on top of my job and my CCIE studies, I'm now juggling a relationship, and a long distance one at that, since we're 2 hours apart.

I'm fortunate in that she's a Civil Engineer, so she understands the importance of getting your credentials straight. She understands that I do need to study, and that's why I can't spend 3 hours a night on the phone with her when we're apart. We've compromised to the point where what time we can spend together is quality time (we've got our social calendar planned out for the next three months), but that I sometimes have to withdraw into my nerdcave and tune out the rest of the world. It may slow my studying time down a bit, but I think it's worth it - she reminds me that there's things in life besides tech, and that I need to enjoy it occasionally. The relaxation I get from that reminder actually helps my studying, as I'm much more relaxed when I go into it.

If she sticks with me through it, I might just ask her to marry me.

I'd recommend sitting down with your wife and planning some date nights where it's all about her, and then follow through on it. I think if you do that, she'll be much more understanding, and forgiving, about your need for alone time.

Thats good that you found a person that understands you.
    Im not married. She's my gf. I already told her I am willing to give up 1 day weekend but I will lab as soon as she sleeps. lol
  • Options
    Finally finished Foundation 4.0! Im going to jump tomorrow to Advanced CCIE Routing and Switching 4.0 (971 pages). After that, I will go back to foundation 4.0.

My CCIE Cycle:
    1. Labbing
    2. Reading white paper, google, forums, books
    3. Listening to IPexpert everyday while going to work
    4. Watching INE vids
    5. Repeat step 1
  • Options
    Thats good that you found a person that understands you.
    Im not married. She's my gf. I already told her I am willing to give up 1 day weekend but I will lab as soon as she sleeps. lol

Ah, sorry, got my wires crossed on the relationship.

And yeah, I wouldn't have told her that you'd be labbing as soon as she slept, that's going to make her feel tolerated at best, an inconvenience at worst.
  • Options

And yeah, I wouldn't have told her that you'd be labbing as soon as she slept, that's going to make her feel tolerated at best, an inconvenience at worst.
    Women have a tendency to want to be in bed with their men.some suffer in silence when that doesnt happen often enough.
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My wife hates to go to bed alone. I try to make her stay up, but its tough.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options

I didnt tell her but she knows that I will do it like that
  • Options
    Women have a tendency to want to be in bed with their men.some suffer in silence when that doesnt happen often enough.
    I can feel that but she will usually tell me whats up.
  • Options
    jamesp1983 wrote: »
    My wife hates to go to bed alone. I try to make her stay up, but its tough.
    all girls hates to be alone. They want our full attention while we try to conquer the world.
  • Options
    I didnt tell her but she knows that I will do it like that

All I'm saying is give up a day for her every once in awhile, and try and plan it in advance, that way she has something to look forward to, and on those days, take off the nerd hat, and make it all about her (ie, dont go lab after she sleeps!).

Look at it this way - yeah, it's frustrating and can disrupt your study schedule, but if you love the girl, and she gets fed up with you and breaks it off, how much of an effect is *that* going to have on your study schedule? :)

I'd be willing to bet that I'm one of the most cantankerous and unsympathetic bastards on these board, and even *I'm* saying don't strain your relationship with the SO hehe
  • Options
    All I'm saying is give up a day for her every once in awhile, and try and plan it in advance, that way she has something to look forward to, and on those days, take off the nerd hat, and make it all about her (ie, dont go lab after she sleeps!).

Look at it this way - yeah, it's frustrating and can disrupt your study schedule, but if you love the girl, and she gets fed up with you and breaks it off, how much of an effect is *that* going to have on your study schedule? :)

I'd be willing to bet that I'm one of the most cantankerous and unsympathetic bastards on these board, and even *I'm* saying don't strain your relationship with the SO hehe

Some good advice. There is more to life than bits and bytes you know and actually you need to be good at more than just that to succeed in your career as well as life in general. I wouldn't say you are that cantankerous. Perhaps some people are touchy ;)