Options

Stopping LIFE to pursue CCIE Lab

Comments

• Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    Turgon wrote: »
    Why not leave the lab as it is and use it for the INE workbooks? You can use Narbiks workbooks for supplementary reading and if you are creative with the INE topology you can always re-engineer some of Narbiks exercises to work with that topology. You learn things just doing that, I have when I have tried to create a scenario with less than desired equipment topologies at my disposal over the years. Dont get hung up!
    It seems that is going to happen.
    CCIE Routing & Switching Workbooks
    $599.00 lol Pretty much $600

This part will be just the cost for me since I spent so much money.
    INE WB $600 vs (5x3725s = 200-250 = $1,000 or more)
    Im gonna have to call INE on monday.
  • Options
    I need help from AS2511 pros !!!

Im trying to upgrade my IOS. It wasnt at ROMMON before but I thought I can upload the IOS on the xmodem so i did a
    [PHP]en
    conf t
    config 0x0
    reset / reload
    [/PHP]
    Now that I am in the ROMMON. If i type CONFREG to change the BAUD, nothing shows up. Usually it gives options but this time, nothing.

[PHP]>confreg
    >
    [/PHP]

So I tried to go back to the normal CLI

[PHP]>
    >confreg 0x2102
    >
    >reset
    What?
    >reload
    What?
    >
    [/PHP]

I turned on the router manually and turn it back on hoping that it will work but it brought me back to rommon.

What should i do? Any ideas? Help!
  • Options
    2nd question for the day - Issue with R1 = 2610xm

This used to have a internal 16mb FLASH RAM. I installed a 32mb flash I bough at ebay.
    After installing the flash RAM (see attached pics).

I uploaded the new IOS/ 28.2mb through xmodem. It finished uploading but it didnt boot up.

I followed this steps:
    Xmodem Console Download Procedure Using ROMmon - Cisco Systems
    after succesfully uploading the IOS.
    I typed:
    [PHP]rommon 12 > confreg 0x2102 You must reset or power cycle for new config to take effect rommon 2 >reset[/PHP]
    and it brought me back to rommon

[PHP]System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(7r) [cmong 7r], RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    Copyright (c) 2002 by cisco Systems, Inc.
    C2600 platform with 32768 Kbytes of main memory

program load complete, entry point: 0x80008000, size: 0x1c40530

Error : memory requirements exceed available memory
    Memory required : 0x045C4AB4

*** System received a Software forced crash ***
    signal= 0x17, code= 0x4, context= 0x80080404
    PC = 0x0, Vector = 0x0, SP = 0x0

System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(7r) [cmong 7r], RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

rommon 1 >

[/PHP]

[PHP]rommon 2 > meminfo

Main memory size: 32 MB.
    Available main memory starts at 0x10000, size 32704KB
    IO (packet) memory size: 0 percent of main memory.
    NVRAM size: 32KB
    rommon 3 >[/PHP]

[PHP]rommon 3 > confreg 0x2102

rommon 4 >
    rommon 4 >
    rommon 4 >
    rommon 4 > reset

rommon 1 >

[/PHP]
    it says "Error : memory requirements exceed available memory" but it was erasing the old IOS after i installed the new ios in Xmodem.

Am i missing something here?
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    What are the memory requirements for the IOS you are attempting to load?
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    stuh84 wrote: »
    What are the memory requirements for the IOS you are attempting to load?
    28.9mb

i have 32mb flash on it installed
  • Options
    That's not the question I'm asking, thats how much space it requires, how much memory does it require to run, i.e. RAM not Flash?

• Options
    stuh84 wrote: »
    That's not the question I'm asking, thats how much space it requires, how much memory does it require to run, i.e. RAM not Flash?
    The ine says 128 ram. Do u think that's the reason why?
  • Options
    I would suspect so. If it doesn't have the correct RAM, it can't load it up, especially as its chucking out the memory requirements exceeded alarm.

• Options
    I ordered it. I hope that will fix the problems.
  • Options
    8hrs of labbing yesterday. 5hrs today and still going. I think I can push 2 more hours.

I have all the routers but i suffering since Im having problems with uploading the IOS. Im waiting for more memory to arrived and see if it will fix the problems. I guess thats why a lot of people use tokens. THe only problem I have is the time. Its tough to set a time.

Ill try to troubleshoot my routers problems after the memory arrives (sometime next week). However, if not then I have to find another way to lab. tokens? lol
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    8hrs of labbing yesterday. 5hrs today and still going. I think I can push 2 more hours.

I have all the routers but i suffering since Im having problems with uploading the IOS. Im waiting for more memory to arrived and see if it will fix the problems. I guess thats why a lot of people use tokens. THe only problem I have is the time. Its tough to set a time.

Ill try to troubleshoot my routers problems after the memory arrives (sometime next week). However, if not then I have to find another way to lab. tokens? lol

You crossed 100 lab hours. Well done.

200 reading hours and 100 lab hours is a good achievement. Many lab investments have ended up on ebay before this point. Keep it up and onto 200!
  • Options
    You crossed 100 lab hours. Well done.

200 reading hours and 100 lab hours is a good achievement. Many lab investments have ended up on ebay before this point. Keep it up and onto 200!
    Thanks. Its very TOUGH. Mike from IPexpert was right. CCIE is most Mental. Its really draining me to lab after working/being in the CLI for the whole day. Its amazing how I understand things more and more after labbing.

Labbing tonight for 4-5hrs.
  • Options
    Thanks. Its very TOUGH. Mike from IPexpert was right. CCIE is most Mental. Its really draining me to lab after working/being in the CLI for the whole day. Its amazing how I understand things more and more after labbing.

Labbing tonight for 4-5hrs.

It is tough. Takes guts to get through this track. On to 200 hours now!
  • Options
    Just got back from a well deserved break. Back to labbing now. Still doing the same thing. Listening to audio and labbing at night. I finished Foundation 4.0 Volume I, twice. I’m at Foundation 4.0 Volume II (293 pages). Also, I talked to micronicstraining, they verified that OEQ is dropped from CCIE lab test. I don’t know if that’s really true but I guess I have to take their word. I’m getting to the point that its draining me but I just ignore that and push myself to keep moving forward.
    It’s already to the point that I stopped posting because I really need ALL the TIME in the world to lab. No wonder I see some CCIE candidate(s) that stopped posting for couple of months. I guess this is what they felt.

Anyhow, back to labbing!
  • Options
    S3CUR3N3TW0RKS3CUR3N3TW0RK Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Noc-Ninja,

So how much have you spent so far on your lab gear? What do you think about the pricing for this kit. Did you end up getting the same equipment as the platinum edition?

CCIE R&S Platinum Lab Kit
  • Options
    Just got back from a well deserved break. Back to labbing now. Still doing the same thing. Listening to audio and labbing at night. I finished Foundation 4.0 Volume I, twice. I’m at Foundation 4.0 Volume II (293 pages). Also, I talked to micronicstraining, they verified that OEQ is dropped from CCIE lab test. I don’t know if that’s really true but I guess I have to take their word. I’m getting to the point that its draining me but I just ignore that and push myself to keep moving forward.
    It’s already to the point that I stopped posting because I really need ALL the TIME in the world to lab. No wonder I see some CCIE candidate(s) that stopped posting for couple of months. I guess this is what they felt.

Anyhow, back to labbing!

Continue to lab regularly. 500 hours of lab time.
  • Options

Anyhow, back to labbing!

Keep pushing. How is the labbing going?
  • Options

Anyhow, back to labbing!

Its been sometime since you posted. How is it going for you?
  • Options
    Its been sometime since you posted. How is it going for you?

Its Friday!!!! Yes! I haven't been posting because I've been very busy labbing, reading, researching & my LIFE gets in the way. Im stuck at Narbiks BGP. As of right now, I am very tired and sleepy. I had been sleeping 6hrs a day just to lab at night and keep up with my life. I do my best to watch INE video and read INE forums there's downtime at work. Also, I use my driving time to listen to INE audios. This journey is very draining. Well, Im taking a rest tonight. Im going to sleep early because Im really tired. I have to hit the gym tomorrow, go home and lab, then go to LA Hayride. Sunday will be a half day CCIE labbing.
  • Options
    Yeah its hard isn't it. You are making good progress there, be sure to get some rest.
  • Options
    i bought (2) 3725 with 256DRAM and 64MB flash. Im going to install 12.4T and lab away some more. Ill take some pics as soon as they arrived.

Also, bought Sennheiser HD 518 to shutdown the world from labbing. The bass is unbelievable. It beats my THX speakers.

Back to labbing
  • Options
    Finished "Foundation-Vol-II July 2011". Starting on it again the 2nd time so it can stay my head.

I think its an understatement that Turgon always says, you need bandwidth to go for CCIE journey. That word doesnt make sense unless you really do it everyday and nights for long hours. It just draining and really stops your life. Anyhow, back to labbing. 9hrs of labbing for today.
  • Options
    Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    You are making great progress!
  • Options
    Finished "Foundation-Vol-II July 2011". Starting on it again the 2nd time so it can stay my head.

I think its an understatement that Turgon always says, you need bandwidth to go for CCIE journey. That word doesnt make sense unless you really do it everyday and nights for long hours. It just draining and really stops your life. Anyhow, back to labbing. 9hrs of labbing for today.

9 hours on a workday? How do you find the time?
  • Options
    9 hours on a workday? How do you find the time?
    Lol I wish I can do it at work. I can probably watch INE vids at work. However, its been busy right now supporting projects and daily stuff. I posted 9hrs of labbing on sunday. I'm guessing your at UK. Lol How is your labbing?
  • Options
    Lol I wish I can do it at work. I can probably watch INE vids at work. However, its been busy right now supporting projects and daily stuff. I posted 9hrs of labbing on sunday. I'm guessing your at UK. Lol How is your labbing?

Labbing is poor at present. No chance on workstime. Evenings and weekends pretty full at home with the family. Im doing ok on studying config in the workbooks and making notes though. I expect some labtime to open up over Christmas vacation and occasionally at work next year. I sure hope so anyway after all the effort I put into my job to create the gap!
  • Options
    Labbing is poor at present. No chance on workstime. Evenings and weekends pretty full at home with the family. Im doing ok on studying config in the workbooks and making notes though. I expect some labtime to open up over Christmas vacation and occasionally at work next year. I sure hope so anyway after all the effort I put into my job to create the gap!

yeah we have those priorities. Anyhow 3725 is working with the correct IOS. Fan is very loud compare to my 1841's and switches. It should help heat up the house since its winter. lol
    I bought some Rollover cable Rj-45 for the as2511-rj. Im waiting for that so I can set it up. Also, bought 2501's (x2) installed with the correct IOS. The other 2 that i have didnt work. I gave up on it. I talked to my Network security engineer and Network architect that has the same 2501 routers. They said that the 2501s that they dealt with was like that too. They were always having problem with it in their labs. Such a waste of money though that its not working.

Its going really slow but these are the lil things that holds me back. Also, Im waiting for 2 BL50R's for the 2501's.

I think I need 1 more right?
    BB1 - BL50R (have one)
    BB2 - BL50R (ordered)
    BB3 - BL50R (ordered)

AS2511-rj = Do I need BL50R for it? Im guessing I do. Here's my plan (AS2511-rj ===> BL50R ====> crossover cable ===> PC )
    For example: http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Cisco-2500-Series-Model-AS2511-RJ-16-port-Server-/00/$(KGrHqJ,!iIE3Qv!+DzOBN1C+(LRY!~~_35.JPG
    Am i right?

I did some more researching and I found this picture.

I wonder if this set up is better. Is this what your set up looks like? console from the PC to the 2511 or (AS2511-rj ===> BL50R ====> crossover cable ===> PC ) is better?

Thanks
  • Options
    Off to Cisco Socal Usergroup!
  • Options
    Here's my lab:
    Kim's Ninja Way to CCIE » My Home CCIE Lab

I'm still waiting for rollover cables and 2 BL50R. Back to labbing.
  • Options
    KelkinKelkin Member Posts: 261 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Keep it up! You are inspiring me to push forward..