Options

Stopping LIFE to pursue CCIE Lab

Comments

• Options
    BroadcastStormBroadcastStorm Member Posts: 496
    Or at least you gotta make sure to buy me rounds when you land that CCIE job mmkbye!
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    There's no secret on the labbing time. I don't have a family so I have time. Also, I killed my social life to make sure I use all of my time on the weekends for labbing. Its been more than 6 months that I have seen my entourage. While they go out, I lab so I can be successful next year or so. It sucks but this is the price of CCIE for me. You want to become a CCIE? Forget about balancing life and career. Career / Labbing comes first. icon_thumright.gif

I don't think that's entirely true. It was difficult for me to rearrange the first couple months after my girl and I got together, but now I schedule 20 hours a week, 4 hours a night, on the weekdays, with one of those nights being optional (so I schedule 20, but only mandate 16). The weekends are entirely at the disposal of my girl and the kids. Any studying I'm able to do at work, I deduct from my nightly study sessions. I'm actually finding it easier to maintain this than I did while I was single. When I was flying solo, my social times were whenever, and since I knew I had all the free time, it was easy to procrastinate (Oh, I'll just do it later, I have the time....).

By flipping it around, and instead of finding blocks of free time to plan for studying, I find blocks of free time to plan for me time and family time, it's been fairly simple to find time to study, and I've managed to find a very good balance.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't think that's entirely true. It was difficult for me to rearrange the first couple months after my girl and I got together, but now I schedule 20 hours a week, 4 hours a night, on the weekdays, with one of those nights being optional (so I schedule 20, but only mandate 16). The weekends are entirely at the disposal of my girl and the kids. Any studying I'm able to do at work, I deduct from my nightly study sessions. I'm actually finding it easier to maintain this than I did while I was single. When I was flying solo, my social times were whenever, and since I knew I had all the free time, it was easy to procrastinate (Oh, I'll just do it later, I have the time....).

By flipping it around, and instead of finding blocks of free time to plan for studying, I find blocks of free time to plan for me time and family time, it's been fairly simple to find time to study, and I've managed to find a very good balance.

Yes. Something sustainable and being consistent with your study habits really helps. It's also important to make sure the encroach doesn't pressure your day to day too much as well, either on the professional work front or personal front.
  • Options
    thadizzythadizzy Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Crazy mofo :)

The lab isn't just about deep technical skills though. One huge reason it's normal you need 2-3 attempts on this lab is because you get used to the lab itself. If you do not have a company sponsoring attempts this is probably not something you want to hear haha.. but scheduling a lab even before you're 100% ready will gain you alot. You both get to see the lab, and you get used to the whole situation in a way no preparation can give you.

So my advice is to go book an expensive lunch, do your best, learn alot from it. The next time you go you will feel that this isn't so bad after all and you know what to expect.

One huge huge aspect with the CCIE lab is the ability to come back from a failed lab. If you've spent an insane amount of time preparing for something and you fail it, it's truely devastating.

At my first lab I was very confused, it felt so overwhelming.. On the second try it felt okay but still failed it. On the third attempt it felt so easy I finished troubleshooting in 1h and the configuration at 13:00.. the lab is not that difficult, its just a matter of "learning the lab" just not learning the technologies.

On a sidenote, its great to have the ambition to be a true expert, not just to pass the lab - those are two completely separate things.
    You really seem determined to have that ambition and I salute you for that.
  • Options
    Turgon wrote: »
    Yes. Something sustainable and being consistent with your study habits really helps. It's also important to make sure the encroach doesn't pressure your day to day too much as well, either on the professional work front or personal front.

Yeah, I had to learn that after 4 hours of normal work at night, I'm done. The temptation to keep going is there, particularly if I'm wrestling with something difficult, but whenever I do that, I don't get enough sleep, and it effects me at work the next day, and it makes me sluggish that during the following days study session, I'm not as effective as I should be.

Keeping the 'its a marathon, not a sprint' mantra in mind was difficult, as I'm naturally inclined to be obsessive, but like alot of other candidates I've had to come to terms with the fact that I can't get it done as fast as I'd like, and if I try to force it, I'll end up burning out and become one of those many who pass the written but never even attempt the lab. And when I consider it in that light, it makes it easier to put it aside and pick it back up the following night.
  • Options
    thadizzy wrote: »
    The lab isn't just about deep technical skills though. One huge reason it's normal you need 2-3 attempts on this lab is because you get used to the lab itself. If you do not have a company sponsoring attempts this is probably not something you want to hear haha.. but scheduling a lab even before you're 100% ready will gain you alot. You both get to see the lab, and you get used to the whole situation in a way no preparation can give you.

Out of curiosity, did you do any Mock Labs to prepare? I can understand where you're coming from, especially if you did no mocks beforehand, but I'm not really buying into the fact that it takes an expensive lunch to get over that hump, especially when the lab format is well known, and there are cheaper ways to emulate the experience.
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403

We both have different style of studying. I salute you for juggling family and CCIE!
  • Options
    Or at least you gotta make sure to buy me rounds when you land that CCIE job mmkbye!

When I passed! Ill buy you a drink! lol But for now, I dont go out. I use all of that time to study. Hows work btw? Are you currently studying for something ?
  • Options
    Crazy mofo :)

So my advice is to go book an expensive lunch, do your best, learn alot from it. The next time you go you will feel that this isn't so bad after all and you know what to expect.

One huge huge aspect with the CCIE lab is the ability to come back from a failed lab. If you've spent an insane amount of time preparing for something and you fail it, it's truely devastating.

At my first lab I was very confused, it felt so overwhelming.. On the second try it felt okay but still failed it. On the third attempt it felt so easy I finished troubleshooting in 1h and the configuration at 13:00.. the lab is not that difficult, its just a matter of "learning the lab" just not learning the technologies.

On a sidenote, its great to have the ambition to be a true expert, not just to pass the lab - those are two completely separate things.
    You really seem determined to have that ambition and I salute you for that.

I understand what you're saying. I've asked multiple CCIEs as much as I can.
    One Cisco employee told me " You should know what you are going to type in the test" if not then you've already failed.
    Also, most of the CCIEs that I talked to failed in their first attempt. A CCIE actually told me " Just take the first attempt to get it out of the way, the nerves and stress". I'm expecting to fail on my first attempt by the end of this year. icon_thumright.gif

Thanks. I am only following you, CCIE's footsteps!
  • Options
    SubnetZeroSubnetZero Member Posts: 124
    I understand what you're saying. I've asked multiple CCIEs as much as I can.
    One Cisco employee told me " You should know what you are going to type in the test" if not then you've already failed.
    Also, most of the CCIEs that I talked to failed in their first attempt. A CCIE actually told me " Just take the first attempt to get it out of the way, the nerves and stress". I'm expecting to fail on my first attempt by the end of this year. icon_thumright.gif

Thanks. I am only following you, CCIE's footsteps!

Hey NOC-Ninja!!

While it's true that the average person passes the lab within 3 or 4 attempts, it's very possible to pass on your first!

Please don't set yourself up for failure by "expecting to fail on your first attempt", this is the wrong attitude to have and you will surely fail if you tell yourself this. You have all of he right ingredients for success so keep studying hard and stay positive.

HTH

While no trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, several electrons were severely inconvenienced
    :cool:
  • Options
    SubnetZero wrote: »
    Hey NOC-Ninja!!

While it's true that the average person passes the lab within 3 or 4 attempts, it's very possible to pass on your first!

Please don't set yourself up for failure by "expecting to fail on your first attempt", this is the wrong attitude to have and you will surely fail if you tell yourself this. You have all of he right ingredients for success so keep studying hard and stay positive.

HTH

Thank you for reinforcing this, I've been preaching this for years, it's nice to have it validated by someone who's done it.
  • Options
    Hey NOC-Ninja!!

HTH
    Thanks! I will do my best to pass the first time! I think Im doing everything I can to get it in first attempt.
  • Options
    Thank you for reinforcing this, I've been preaching this for years, it's nice to have it validated by someone who's done it.

Good call icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hey NOC-Ninja!!

HTH

Exactly, some great advice there. Most people who fail the first time typically wont go back because they have built it upto a pass/fail exam which it isn't at all. It's a learning exam (an expensive one) but this isn't school anymore, a pass/fail attitude is not acceptable, it's a pass learn rinse and repeat. No one is going to judge you if you fail and retry, we will if you fail and give up :)

No one expects you to be a genius, this is some pretty hard stuff to learn. Take your time, learn it well and learn from mistakes. icon_study.gif
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Thanks! I will do my best to pass the first time! I think Im doing everything I can to get it in first attempt.

see https://www.networkworld.com/community/blog/prepping-ccde-practical-0
    " I happened to have passed the R&S and the SNA/IP on my first try. "

its possible to pass first go and not just on one CCIE exam.
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    Out of curiosity, did you do any Mock Labs to prepare? I can understand where you're coming from, especially if you did no mocks beforehand, but I'm not really buying into the fact that it takes an expensive lunch to get over that hump, especially when the lab format is well known, and there are cheaper ways to emulate the experience.

I did not do any INE graded labs, but I did all 10 graded Cisco 360 labs. I guess they're the same thing.
    But doing labs at home and doing the acctual lab is very different things icon_smile.gif
    The mock lab will only test your technical skills.
  • Options
    I did not do any INE graded labs, but I did all 10 graded Cisco 360 labs. I guess they're the same thing.
    But doing labs at home and doing the acctual lab is very different things icon_smile.gif
    The mock lab will only test your technical skills.

Ok, so what is the actual lab testing beyond your technical skills? Is there some hidden agenda that I'm not aware of?

I mean that's kind of the point of the actual lab, to see if your tech skills are up to snuff. And while it's certainly different travelling to RTP or San Jose to sit in front of a computer and rack for 8 hours of troubleshooting and configuration, the format of the exam itself can be pretty easily replicated via mocks. I might buy nerves and pressure being responsible for one lab fail, but 2? That's on the person, and everyone handles that kind of thing differently.

I just think that telling people to expect to fail the first time or two and to just get it over with isn't very helpful. There's a difference between reinforcing that you may fail a couple of times, and setting the expectation that you will fail. The former is scary, the latter just undermines the study process.

On the other hand, you have passed the lab, and I haven't yet attempted it, so I will certainly allow for the fact that I'm way off base, will find out later this year :)
  • Options
    Ok, so what is the actual lab testing beyond your technical skills? Is there some hidden agenda that I'm not aware of?

I mean that's kind of the point of the actual lab, to see if your tech skills are up to snuff. And while it's certainly different travelling to RTP or San Jose to sit in front of a computer and rack for 8 hours of troubleshooting and configuration, the format of the exam itself can be pretty easily replicated via mocks. I might buy nerves and pressure being responsible for one lab fail, but 2? That's on the person, and everyone handles that kind of thing differently.

I just think that telling people to expect to fail the first time or two and to just get it over with isn't very helpful. There's a difference between reinforcing that you may fail a couple of times, and setting the expectation that you will fail. The former is scary, the latter just undermines the study process.

On the other hand, you have passed the lab, and I haven't yet attempted it, so I will certainly allow for the fact that I'm way off base, will find out later this year :)

Dont get me wrong. Its just a matter of being abit more into the comfort zone. Nothing wrong with attempting the lab for the first time after being super well prepared, thats just a good thing and sure you absolutely can pass the lab the first time. I just personally believe the whole process to be easier on you to "get the first attempt done with". For me at least it was a big psychadelic drawback after preparing like crazy to fail. I did not fail because the lack of technical knowledge, I failed because of the weird stressed out situation.. and I believe I'm not alone.

But the attempts costs a fortune, if you pay for them alone its probably not the best idea to go not fully prepared. My reasoning is for the lucky bastards who get paid attempts icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    Just my luck! Im paying for everything on my own pocket.

Anyway, labbing for 4 hrs. Fingers are starting to hurt. CLI at work and home is stressing my fingers. lol

Back to labbing!
  • Options
    The more I lab, the more I understand how much I need to learn and the more I figure out that I always don't have enough time.
    Goodnight!
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Noc, if you give up... [Administrators of the forum be willing], i'll threaten you with a dull spoon. The type of spoon you realize you can't cut tender cakes with. It might graze your skin, at most.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    KelkinKelkin Member Posts: 261 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hes not going to give up.. :)
  • Options
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    Noc, if you give up... [Administrators of the forum be willing], i'll threaten you with a dull spoon. The type of spoon you realize you can't cut tender cakes with. It might graze your skin, at most.
    Im too deep to give up. I will keep going until i pass. If i have to sell my cars to pay for the test, ill do it. Lol ill pass this year , next year or in the future. Lol
  • Options
    Kelkin wrote: »
    Hes not going to give up.. :)
    Correct!
  • Options
    3hrs of labbing tonight! Labbing and reading cisco whitepapers about troubleshooting.
    Goodnight!
  • Options
    SubnetZeroSubnetZero Member Posts: 124
    3hrs of labbing tonight! Labbing and reading cisco whitepapers about troubleshooting.
    Goodnight!

Good job buddy, you're well on your way to becoming a CCIE. Happy Labbing!

While no trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, several electrons were severely inconvenienced
    :cool:
  • Options
    Good job buddy, you're well on your way to becoming a CCIE. Happy Labbing!

Thank you for that! I really hope so!
  • Options
    I didnt get to lab yesterday since I went to training. 5hrs of labbing tonight. icon_twisted.gif
  • Options
    insta.jpg Just another full day of labbing. Cheers to everybody that is studying today! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Very nice, you'll be hitting a thousand lab hours before you know it icon_smile.gif
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS