Options

Microsoft going back to the MCSE title for 2012 technology??? Private Cloud and SQL

Comments

• Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    TheCudderTheCudder Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Ok, I've looked at the Microsoft cert link, plus looked at my transcripts.

What will end up happening to the EA cert? From what I have garnered, it would appear that it stands by itself.

It looks like the MCSA 2K8 (formerly the cert known as MCITP:SA) will be a precursor to the MCSE "Private Cloud" which will require two cloud exams to earn the MCSE.

Sounds like earning the EA would have been a waste of time. F--- what Microsoft states officially; this was done so that people can still hire MCSE (whatever the ---- it means then and now) and keep the letters as they are so popular within IT certification circles. In fact, the MCSE is more popular than the CCIE (in terms of name recognition.)

What do you guys think?

From what I understand, "MCSE" will indicate the 2nd highest (Associate - Expert - Master) knowledge level of various technologies. Microsoft already lists 2 separate MCSE's. One for SQL Server 2012 & another for Private Cloud Computing. But then again, Microsoft lists all these new titles under "Cloud built" certs, but I think that may be a badly designed chart (or I'm not understanding it) as the MCSA has nothing to do with the clouds technology, it's the same as the current MCITP: Server Admin 2008
    B.S. Information Technology Management | CompTIA A+ | CompTIA Security+ | Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance (In Progress)
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Everyone wrote: »
    Looks like that is changing to MCSM though... and that still has these certs as prerequisites.

DANG! That's it. Going to Oracle then.
  • Options
    ootoot Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    In my opinion, the purpose of the title change is to separate the certifications that will need renewal.

All the "new" MCSE certifications will require a recertification test every 3 years to keep it active.
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Nice...
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    So if I understand this correctly:

MCTS: No change
    MCITP:SA will now become MCSA Windows 2008
    MCITP:EA nothing changes
    MCSA (artist formerly known as MCITP:SA) + 2 tests = MCSE 2008

So if you go from MCITP:SA to MCSA 2008 I'm guessing our MCP profile will eventually be updated?

Update: So apparently on the Microsoft Learning Forums someone posted they contacted their Regional Service Center and it was confirmed (if you believe everything you read on the internetz) that MCITP:SA will become MCSA 2008 since the requirements have been met. They (Microsoft Learning) is working on updating the transcripts. You may want to download a .pdf of your certificates now before they are changed and get even more confusing.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■

So...not even an upgrade exam for an EA? That bites like no other...even MCSE 2K3 can upgrade to an EA.

The EA is basically going to end up a forgetten cert! Basically, one has to take the SA exam (which in truth I would have done at some point) plus two exams to obtain the MCSE.

In a way, that's kind of good, because all newbies want is an MCSE anyway.....it's the letters, not the meaning that they're after. They can truthfully say they're an MCSE on the resume and PLUS not waste time chasing what will be an antiquated cert (MCSE 2K3).

Well played, Microsoft....well played. I'm kind of pissed off that now I'll have to spend some time on obtaining this cert, but I will finally obtain my goal of getting an the letters MCSE on my resume.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Now I don't know what the hell cert to upgrade to, thanks Microsoft.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
    MCSE Private Cloud.. i can hear $$ signs when i think about it icon_cool.gif
    Studying: Automating Everything, network API's, Python etc.. 
    Certifications: CCNP, CCDP, JNCIP-DC, JNCIS-DevOps, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SP
  • Options
    Right I think I've got this now...

As far as I can make it out, they are restructuring the titles BEFORE Server 2012 comes out. The diagram makes it look as if there is OnPrem & Cloud exams but it is just confusing.

MCTS & MCITP:EA & VA are all going away - they will be phased out altogether, but will be listed on your transcript as long as the technology is supported, after that it will be marked as legacy.

MCP - this is the way to describe passing one exam again.

Until April 2013 you will continue to earn MCTS for exams - if you achieve MCITP:SA then you will also be given the MCSA: Windows Server 2008 title. After April 2013 you will only be given MCSA: Windows Server 2008.

If you have MCITP:SA/MCSA 2008 and if you take 70-246 & 70-247 (or alternatively you can use 70-659) you gain the MCSE: Private Cloud title.

If you take 70-461, 70-462, 70-463 that will give you the MCSA: SQL Server 2012 title.
    If you take 70-464, 70-465 on top of MCSA: SQL Server 2012 then that will give you the MCSE: Data Platform title.
    If you take 70-466, 70-467 on top of MCSA: SQL Server 2012 then that will give you the MCSE: Business Intelligence title.

MCSA: Windows Server 2012 - there will be new exams for this when Server 2012 is released.
    MCSE: Windows Server 2012 - there will be exams which build on MCSA: Windows Server 2012 when Server 2012 is released.

This is how I understand it, if it changes then I will edit or delete this post.

I really thought the sloppy launch of SQL 2012 was a one off, but this is just as bad. Apple doesn't do these kinds of launches.
  • Options
    KrunchiKrunchi Member Posts: 237
    Good thing I took my 70-646 and passed a few days ago icon_lol.gif I'll be all over the new MCSE with only having to take two test but I'm still going to finish the MCITP-EA it's still going to carry allot of weight for years to come.
    Certifications: A+,Net+,MCTS-620,640,642,643,659,MCITP-622,623,646,647,MCSE-246
  • Options
    elad123elad123 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I still don't understand, does the MCITP:SA get converted to the MCSA 2008?
  • Options
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    If you have MCITP:SA/MCSA 2008 and if you take 70-246 & 70-247 (or alternatively you can use 70-659) you gain the MCSE: Private Cloud title.

You will still have to take the 70-246. But what they're saying is if you take the 70-659, prior to the aforementioned date, it can take the place of the 70-247. Otherwise, starting February 1, 2013, you will have to take the 70-247 only. But the 70-659 doesn't take the place of both.
  • Options
    elad123 wrote: »

http://www.techexams.net/forums/general-certification/76382-microsoft-going-back-mcse-title-2012-technology-private-cloud-sql-3.html#post625425

It would appear so, but it won't be reflected in the transcripts for awhile.
  • Options
    elad123 wrote: »
    Yeah they will update everybody's transcript soon and you will hold both and the MCITP:SA will then be marked as legacy in a few years. I don't know how they will update MCSA/E 2008 to MCSA/E 2012.

They should have released all of this info with the new exam numbers... but I think they want to get people to do the Private cloud exams and then bring more in when 2012 is released.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I'm all for certification but just looking at this really kills my motivation to work on these certs, much less figuring out what certifications I would actually want and what exams I would need. I'll just be letting it sit and stew for a while and see if it sorts itself out more after a week or so. I don't like the way it looks like the MCITP:EA is being left out in the cold though.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    Richard_ARichard_A Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Here's an interesting quote from the M$ website:
    "Certifications you have earned may remain valid even if qualifying exams have
    retired". Note the "may"!
    It looks like Microsoft will stop MCSE 2003 from being valid after September 2012, it will be called 'legacy' so as not to confuse it with the new MCSE.
    So I guess you won't be able to claim you are MCSE any more, if you don't have MCSE 2008.
    MS are going the way of Cisco I think. The cetificates will expire and you will have to re-do them to remain certified.
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If EAs have to do both exams for the cloud upgrade this will be going right to the back of my pile. What a waste of time.
  • Options
    fly2dwfly2dw Member Posts: 122 ■■■□□□□□□□
    undomiel wrote: »
    I'm all for certification but just looking at this really kills my motivation to work on these certs, much less figuring out what certifications I would actually want and what exams I would need. I'll just be letting it sit and stew for a while and see if it sorts itself out more after a week or so. I don't like the way it looks like the MCITP:EA is being left out in the cold though.

With you on this! Good time for me to start CCNA!
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't know what is worse, a potential employer "thinking" of hiring an MCSE: Cloud nonsense dude but getting an MCSE NT4 or a MCSE2000 applying for a job thinking he has all the relevant requirements but they are looking for MCSE: Cloud nonsense ..

Who thought this is a good idea clearly doesn't have any technical certs himself, had to apply for a job or had to hire people :)

Atfer I passed my MCITP:EMA2010 I swore I will never aim for any other M$$ cert .. it certainly hasn't changed ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    elad123elad123 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    MCITP:EA can be substituted for the MCITP:SA in order to get the MCSE: private cloud

Microsoft Private Cloud Certification

"The Private Cloud certification requires candidates to show continued ability to perform in this technology area by completing a recertification exam every three years."
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I'm taking an official "wait and see" policy with these new developments. I can understand that they wanted the name-recognition back, but companies and recruiters had just gotten used to the idea of the MCITP certs, so we'll have to see how it plays out.

As for the re-certification news, I'm a little bit confused about it. It seems to me that, unlike the case with Cisco for example, Microsoft exams test you on a specific version of a product, not on a flavor of technology as a whole. Once you're certified on, say, Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008, how much does the product really change, even with the R2 updates? I believe this was the reason that Microsoft originally changed their position on renewing MCITP certs from every 2 or 3 years initially, to the retirement policy they've got now.

So, as I said, we'll just have to wait and see what happens. After all, this news is only a few days old at this point.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From what I'm gathering of all this, it's all marketing fluff in conjunction with instituting a re-certification policy. I think they made a mistake by moving from MCSA/MCSE to MCITP, and I think they've realized this mistake and want to change the name back to regain the visibility and clout that was lost in the name change. Look at the MCSA as an example: "solutions" associate. Marketing, but marketing a much more familiar and accepted acronym.

I do think the recert thing is garbage though. Like has already been mentioned, the product you certify in doesn't change much. Not enough to warrant a recert in it. I only see this as useful if they release future versions as "updates" to existing versions instead of releasing new versions, which they'd never do.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□

Just follow other vendors. Have exams for specific product versions. VMware for example.

You can be certified for VCP3, but that product doesn't change when VCP4 is released, it is still the same buggy old code base ... and so on .. If I am certied on 2008 - I know 2008, it won;t change just because Server 8 is being released ..

I am so over Microsoft exams ....

At the end, who cares. I suppose there is a difference between people calling themselves "X" or simply mentioning "Y".

For example, let's say "MCITP:SA" expires on 01/01/2014

If at any date after that you call yourself "MCITP:SA" or have it on your business cards, you have to make sure it is up to date / valid.

If you are like me, then who cares :)

I don't call myself anything, I don't have a logo anywhere, I don't have anything on business cards (don't have any actually) .. my CV / resume simply mentiones that I have passed exam X on date Y ... This will still be true if that particular exam has expired ...

Now at some point recruiter will stop caring obviously .. If you put now on your resume that you passed some NT4 cert or the CCNA in 1980, then you might as well remove it but the point remains, you don't mention you "ARE" CCNA / NT4 MCSE, you merely say when you passed it :P
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    lolermolerlolermoler Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Today, I'm just saddened to see Microsoft renewing the MCSE Course from Systems engineer to Solution Expert..& delaying its exams to the end of August..

I pursued this course so much! just so that I may get to use an Engineer Prefix with my name. and now this....

I want to ask you guys ff there are any other courses as such that it has the Tag 'Engineer' in it.

Please help with my frustration...I am a drop out from engineering and I wanted to get this course done....Can I take it now? or is it over?

Thank you..
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod

Gotta ask, why the fixation with the "Engineer" term? Does your job require you to be an "engineer"?
  • Options
    jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    If not for the fact that WGU is paying for the exams, and I need them to graduate, I wouldn't even bother at this point with the MCITP:EA.

This is basically Microsoft giving up and admitting that MCITP doesn't have the mindshare that MCSE did, and still does.

I have zero interest in obtaining any MS certs beyond EA at this point.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I seriously thought this was going to be a VERY late April Fool's joke. Bizarre...
  • Options
    tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Okay I'm not typically afraid of change but I'm confused. I have MCSE 2003 and was going to do the 70-649 and 70-647 to upgrade to the MCITP:EA. Should I hold off on those? I don't know what's going on someone please hold me icon_sad.gif
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Psoasman wrote: »
    Got an email from Prometric this morning, detailing new certs that Microsoft reinvented.

MCSA: Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate
    MCSE: Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert

hmmm..that won't confuse anybody icon_wink.gif

thats the M$ way...ya'll should know this by now....
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)