Microsoft going back to the MCSE title for 2012 technology??? Private Cloud and SQL

12346»

Comments

• jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    It never did in 2008. The MCITP:EA required a client exam. The MCITP:SA required the 70-640,642, and 646.
    WGU grad
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Interesting...I hadn't noticed that until now.

So the MCITP:EA requires a client exam, but I can become an MCSA:2008 or MCSE:Cloud without it.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Only recently have job postings started stating "MCITP" as the standard Microsoft cert. I'm going to bet it will remain on job postings eve after it is phased out, just like MCSE was before it was phased out. So maybe to get past the letter filters, having some kind of MCITP would be beneficial. But given the info above, I'm 99% sure I'm not going to waste my time on the :EA.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■

Since both the EA and SA give you the same cert now (MCSA:2K8 ), you pretty much will meet tour personal requirement of getting a MCITP, an MCSA and with two additional exams, an MCSE.

All without a client exam to boot...(smh...)
  • elad123elad123 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have been following the comments here MCSE: Reinvented for the Cloud

from what I gather based on Ken Rosen's comments:

- There will be no more product specific MCSE exams anymore (no MCSE Server 8 for example)
    - MCSE Exams are all cross-platform cloud certifications and they will require recertification (i think every 3 years?)
    - MCSA Level exams are product specific exams and do not require recertification
    - The path to the MCSE exams includes the MCSA exams, when you recertify at the MCSE level you are awarded the newest MCSA level exams in that path. (I guess the MCSE exams include that content?)
    - There are more MCSE level exams coming when the new version of server is released.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Realize that the term "engineer" is very broad, like the terms "scientist," "technician," "programmer," and "developer." A "Microsoft engineer" isn't anything close in knowledge or occupation to a degreed engineer, but they both design and implement systems, which is what engineers do.
    Calling yourself an "Engineer" is restricted in a number of countries the same way Doctor, Lawyer, Architect, etc. are (though not in the USA) which is why they steered clear of it this time around.

P.S. You guys realize this means we all get to be Minesweeper Consultant & Solitaire Experts again
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    In the USA, the occupation "Engineer" once had a special meaning to the IRS for tax purposes, but I don't think it applies anymore.
  • crashdumpcrashdump Banned Posts: 134
    RBsgE.png I don't like being called an associate! I think the SQL 2012 exams are complicated. So I wish an ohter title than associate.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It is very interesting indeed. I have a feeling that over time by listing MCSE on my resume potential employers will mistake it for the Solution Expert certification. It isn't lying to list it, but they might be disappointed with what they get.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■

Perhaps it is not "lying", but in my opinion it would be inappropriate to list "MCSE" on a resume for anything except maybe NT. The correct certification title for MCSE on 2003 is "Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) on Windows Server 2003". Listing it as MCSE 2003 or MCSE on Windows Server 2003 is acceptable, but just plain MCSE is not because there is no such certification other than possibly the NT MCSE (I'm not sure if it was just called MCSE at the time). The 2000 and on MCSEs, including the current iteration, match a product. To have MCSE on NT, 2000, and 2003 is to have three different certs.

In any case, anyone who is familiar with the certs will ask you at some point during the interview process. If the having the wrong version is a deal-breaker, it's your own time wasted.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■

If I saw an "MCSE" from someone with just NT 4 "today" I would be completely underwhelmed and unimpressed. NT 4 was a completely different O/S than 2000+ (aside from AD). If an MCSE NT 4.0 claims he was still in the industry post NT 4, but was not certified, (if it were me) I'd be grilling him on 2000+ differences that are not found in NT (such as "run as" administrator, for example; something easy.)

The fact is that HR filters are going to scan for MCSE, regardless of what it means. Microsoft spent so much time hyping up both the MCITP:EA and MCITP:SA that they not only abandoned those certs, but made them BOTH the same cert...with the EA being a bit more difficult to achieve than the SA. MS did this for the HR filtering so that folks can put MCSE on resumes and NOT lie. (So long as they write out the certification as well and list the technology.)

It isn't so much lying as it is quasi-shady....not really shady, but not really on the up-and-up either.
  • Ch@rl!3m0ngCh@rl!3m0ng Member Posts: 139
    icon_lol.gif There must have been a reason for this. I'd like to think that M$ isn't the type to just "do stuff" without thinking about it.

Really?? lol icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_wink.gif
    Currently reading: Syngress Linux + and code academy website (Java and Python modules)

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'
  • bwillfordbwillford Member Posts: 64 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So what does everyone recommend for someone just getting started down the microsoft path?

I am about half way through my 70-680 studies but kind of lost on where to go after that. I will still be sitting the 70-680. I was originally planning on the MCITP-EA but sounds like that might be pointless with the change? Any recommendations? Basically looking for certifications to help with a System Administrator role.
  • stiltnerstiltner Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I didn't read the entire thread. But I do recall taking this survey for Microsoft because of MCP status.

They had a ton of questions about this entire subject. I told them the old way was best, apparently more people
    felt the titles worked, but the names sucked I guess.

Whatever. If it = $$$ then I don't care if they call them "Monkey Pig Dog Computer Face Bonk"

Frankly MCSE = Microsoft Corp Systems Engineer made the most sense to me. Maybe I'm just old school in thinking.

P.S. - lol cloud everything, cloud certs, in the cloud, protected by the cloud, so you can re-cloudifycert every 3 years.