VCP5 and EMC/NetApp classes online at Dallas County Community College

Comments

• datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The VCAP class is supposed to be offered this summer as well.
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

• chanakyajupudichanakyajupudi Member Posts: 712
    Do keep me posted too regarding the VCAP !
    Work In Progress - RHCA [ ] Certified Cloud Security Professional [ ] GMON/GWAPT if Work Study is accepted [ ]
    http://adarsh.amazonwebservices.ninja

• ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    Hey just catching up on this thread as Stanly CC doesn't serve MN residents, wanted to ask if the VMWare course does in fact satisfy the pre-req for the VCP5-DCV exam? I ask because it does say in the schedule course description that it fulfills the VCP4 requirement, but I am guessing that is just outdated information. Also to verify that VMware will recognize this course as fullfillment, I'd hate to be blind sided by VMware not recognizing this institute or something like that.

If anyone has the info I would appreciate it! Thanks!
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yes it fulfills the course requirement, the college contacts VMware once the course is complete. It's outdated information about VCP4 alright. You might have to contact them to see when the next class is scheduled for. It could be the summer, if not then, then definitely the fall (which is a bit aways!). North Lake College is listed under the approved VMware academies (listed under the 2013 Final Results link) here.
    Yeah I just noticed the course starting on 3/21 is not online :\ I'll have to check out some other places from that list to see if there are any courses starting a bit sooner - thanks for the link!
    Yeah I am noticing that a lot of the community colleges in my state are pretty mind blowing prices, I'll have to continue to try to find a cheaper online class for this, looks like there is a very long list of partner colleges for vm training.

Will definitely inquire about when the next course may start, thanks for the post on that!
  • tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    How's this course going?

Are you guys keeping an eye out for the summer schedule? I want to make sure I get a spot in the course so if anyone sees any update to the new course schedule please post on here. I will be checking occasioanlly and will of course do the same.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    tprice5,

Please update this thread if you hear anything about the summer class as well, or even shoot me a PM if you could! I am also waiting to sign up for the summer course but this school doesn't have a wait list like Stanly, it seems like first come first serve so I am hoping to catch it right when they open up registration for the summer class.
    zxbane wrote: »
    tprice5,
    I am also waiting to sign up for the summer course but this school doesn't have a wait list like Stanly
    Are you shooting for VCP or EMC/NetApp?
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
    VCP primarily but I actually was giving some thought to the EMC/NetApp course as well but VCP will be my main goal. Yours too I assume?
    VCP will be my main goal. Yours too I assume?
    Negative. I completed the Stanly course earlier this month so my interest in Dallas Community College is strictly for EMC/NetApp. At least until they release the VCAP course, then I may take that as well.
    WGU MSISA
    Oh awesome, have you taken your VCP yet since taking the Stanly course? Also how would you review the Stanly course, I am on their wait list for the summer class.
    tprice5 wrote: »
    How's this course going?

Are you guys keeping an eye out for the summer schedule? I want to make sure I get a spot in the course so if anyone sees any update to the new course schedule please post on here. I will be checking occasioanlly and will of course do the same.
    I was going to wait until the mid-term to post an update... but seen as you ask I'll do a little write up now...

You get emails all the time from this course it's not like my previous VCP cource at UCSC Extension where you were left to your own devices to keep up with things. There is a reminder when a new lecture is posted, quiz, discussion, mid-term & final. I've been a little lazy on keeping up on the reading, I've kept up with the lectures though. You get mulitple goes at the quizes. I am going to catch up on the reading between tonight and tomorrow.

It's a short book but quite technical too, I guess I thought it would be an easy course but there is alot to do with the reading, the lectures, the labs and then the supplimentary access to the EMC Academy website. I completed the labs in about 8 hours over 2 days - it's like the labs for the VCP, just log in and then log out when you have finished - no need to log in and log out after each and every lab. The rest of the course is going to use the labs for NetApp while continuing to finish the EMCISA v2 book.

The 4 quizes & forum discussions make up 25%, the labs make up another 25%, the mid-term exam is 25% and the final exam is 25%. A passing D score is 60%+. I've attached the offical course details if anybody wants to have a look see. If anybody is interested in this course then be prepared to spend a decent amount of time on it, it's not a cakewalk as I thought it would be. There are plenty of deadlines to keep an eye on. I'll post an update at the end of the course...

I am looking out for the summer schedules too, but I think it will be a little while yet before we see them. I reckon we will see them by mid-April.

EMC and NetApp Fall 2013 ITNW 1492 73556.doc
    Oh awesome, have you taken your VCP yet since taking the Stanly course? Also how would you review the Stanly course, I am on their wait list for the summer class.

I have not yet taken the VCP. I am planning to take it within the next 3 weeks. As for the course I don't think my assessmnet would be fair. I did not truly commit to the course in terms of participation. I mainly used it as a means to fulfill the class requirement for my VCP. That being said I was not entirely impressed with the lessons. I only watched the first few videos so he may have changed his tune later in the course but from what I saw he just read from a power point. The labs were as much as I could ask for and provided me with everything I needed. Take the cost of the course and the 70% voucher into consideration and I am a satisfied customer.
    WGU MSISA
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    1. Check the schedule page and click the link to the Spring or Fall schedules. From there follow the links to VMware & EMC ISM. Take a note of the course ID.

I am reposting the link Asif provided to keep it handy for regular checks for the summer catalog.
    WGU MSISA
    Still nothing..
    WGU MSISA
  • Cable_guyCable_guy Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would like to take the EMC/Netapp class - Subscribing.

Does this go towards a certification such as the VMware classes?
    Previous page of this thread lists the certifications these classes are geared towards.
    WGU MSISA
    Summer schedule has now been posted.
    WGU MSISA
    Haha that's funny we posted at the same time.

HUGE bummer about the courses though :/

It's pretty common for there to be limited selection of courses in the Summer. Summer is like the red headed step child of the education system. I suppose we'll just keep this thread alive and try back in the fall.

Asif, let us know if you have any email interactions with anyone over there about this. You are usually pretty good about going straight to the source for all the answers.
    WGU MSISA
    Actually I was wrong there are VCAP and Advanced EMC/NetApp courses on the "for credit" page:

eConnect - Browse North Lake College Credit Classes - Summer 2014 - ITNW

edit - it doesn't look like they are online though...

@tprice5 - I'll post a little update on the EMC/NetApp course at the end, and anything I hear that might be useful for this course I'll post here too...
    Yeah I saw that on the credit page as well. That really puts a kink in my plans!
    WGU MSISA
    Me too, I was hoping to do the VCAP-DCA course online, but I'll have to fire up the lab and whip out the blueprint for this one I think... I would prefer to do the VCAP-DCA 5.5 anyways, rather than 5.1 which they are doing...
    Yeah the VCAP is easier to self study because it doesnt require anymore resources than your average test lab but the EMC/NetApp is a bit different in that respect.

Maybe there are other colleges/businesses offering online virtualization and storage training in the sub $500 space?
    WGU MSISA
    I just spent the better part of two hours trying to hunt down an alterative. I am not sure how you found DCC but there doesn't appear to be anything else out there! I spoke with my Stanly professor and he said that they were working on VCAP/EMC stuff but that all their focus was on providing for the VCP course.
    So how did you happen across Dallas Community College?
    WGU MSISA
    This was going to be where I did my course requirement, as Stanley doesn't extend his classes to MN residents for whatever logistical reason. There is a huge list somewhere out there with hundreds of school across the globe that offer this class, or at least one point did, most places I looked locally on the list offered no VMware courses.

I'd imagine once someone caught wind there was a place that had an online vmware class under $1000 it spread like brush fire, though I wouldn't have told a soul until after I had got my seat in the class personally :)
  • datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tprice5 wrote: »
    I just spent the better part of two hours trying to hunt down an alterative. I am not sure how you found DCC but there doesn't appear to be anything else out there! I spoke with my Stanly professor and he said that they were working on VCAP/EMC stuff but that all their focus was on providing for the VCP course.
    So how did you happen across Dallas Community College?

I am the DCCC source. The VCAP class is for DCD according to Greg, the program coordinator.
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe