Options

VCP5 and EMC/NetApp classes online at Dallas County Community College

Comments

• Options
    SamMerlotteSamMerlotte Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Last night's quiz was kinda lackluster.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Not a fan of how the guy runs this class. No organization or consistency whatsoever. He said he was going to post a quiz 2 weeks ago but just now got around to doing it. Then he gave everyone a whopping 48 hours to complete it on top of the final exam that has to be done this week. They aren't long quizzes, but the whole idea of an online class is to be semi-flexible with the time so you can complete things when they are convenient for you. But since the class is about to end this week, he had to rush it out there and shorten the time requirements. But it's a cheap way to meet the requirements for VCP, so people will continue to do it.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    MagnumRPMagnumRP Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Are you talking about the EMC class or the VCP class? I'm in the EMC class, and according to my emails, the deadlines are not this week. These are the emails that I received: Class,
    I have just posted your mid term and next week's chapter quiz 3. You will have until 10/25/2014 at 11:30 PM CST to complete chapter quiz 3

Class,
    it is my oversight concerning the Fall 2014 Mid Term Exam. The deadline to complete the midterm exam is 11/3/2014 at 11:30 PM CST.
  • Options
    Talking about the VCP class.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    That's good because I got scared. :)
  • Options
    Why does he keep sending out deadline reminders for the EMC/NetApp class when the chapter quiz 3 is due on October 25, and the midterm exam is due on November 3?
  • Options
    rob3bbrob3bb Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This course is all over the place. I didn't have this many quizzes and a midterm in my VMware class. After working a 10 hour shift trying to figure this out is a bit much.
  • Options
    Tim_Tim_ Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Does anyone know what e-mail address we're supposed to use for the NetApp registration? Did Dallas Community College create one for us?

This class has no redeeming qualities at all.
  • Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    Tim_ wrote: »
    Does anyone know what e-mail address we're supposed to use for the NetApp registration?
    I just used my personal email address.
    This class has no redeeming qualities at all.
    The vouchers would be a redeeming quality. From what asif was saying it looks like we will only be receiving the EMC voucher. That is assuming the instructor feels you earned it.

Also, why did I just take a quiz on Wireshark? And why did the quiz only accept file attachments rather than a text field for inputting answers?

I am so confused.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    this class is confusing. I just want my voucher. I don't understand why there are quizzes on labs. I haven't taken the midterm yet. I just registered for the netapps courses
  • Options
    lol. I can't figure this NetApp registration out.
    The first step is to select your college or university and your professor. Then hit submit.
    I went to the link, but I don't see a listing of schools nor professors.
  • Options

In the registration process, I did come to a link with a list of schools. Our selection DCCC should be at the very top. Perhaps you aren't selecting the right link?
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    Sounds like the storage class goes as well as the VMWare class. Hard to beat for $200 though.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    Hard to beat for $200 though.

This is true for the VMware class where there is a course requirement. Not so much on the storage side.
    WGU MSISA
  • Options
    tprice5 wrote: »
    Perhaps you aren't selecting the right link?

I'm going to the link in the StudentLearning Center Portal Directions. I don't see anything about Academic Alliances or DCCC. Maybe there's something wrong with my account? I never got a confirmation email about my account being authorized. I can log into it, though.
  • Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would like to take the EMC/NetApp course next year and was just wondering what your experiences are so far? Would you guys recommend it besides it being cheap?

Are you actually learning anything worthwhile that could benefit your career in the future with the knowledge gained? I will be very interested to hear about your experiences.
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    JustFred wrote: »
    I would like to take the EMC/NetApp course next year and was just wondering what your experiences are so far? Would you guys recommend it besides it being cheap?

Are you actually learning anything worthwhile that could benefit your career in the future with the knowledge gained? I will be very interested to hear about your experiences.

We've been chronicling our experiences this entire thread? Just read through everything and come to your own conclusion. It should be pretty obvious at this point.
    WGU MSISA
  • Options
    We've been chronicling our experiences this entire thread? Just read through everything and come to your own conclusion. It should be pretty obvious at this point.

Ooops. ok thanks, i will do just that.
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    This is true for the VMware class where there is a course requirement. Not so much on the storage side.
    I imagine the labs might make the storage side worth it.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    So... if you've been following this post you'd know that I have not been receiving any of the emails that the instructor has been sending the class. Tim_ has been kind enough to paste them into PMs for me. I guess when he decided to assign 3 separate tasks (2 quizzes + 1 midterm) I got my dates mixed because I was under the impression that the midterm was due on 11/2. As it turns out, that is the latest quiz. It is my own fault for getting the dates mixed but how hard is it to put the due dates inside of blackboard where the quiz information is listed. Every single online course I have been involved with has clearly defined the due dates with the description of the course. The fact that I have to reference messages from a third party to identify what due dates go with what is absolutely ridiculous.
    "Lab Quizzies"

Just to show you how stupid this is I am going to walk everyone through the workflow. First, you have to identify if its a lab quiz or a regular quiz. Quiz 1 is not the same thing as Lab Quiz 1. Then you have to make sure you don't cross the quiz number (Lab Quiz 4) with the lab number (Lab 3: Part 2). Then once you have definitively ID'd the one you need to take, go to your email and find the due date associated with that name. I am not saying it's a monumental task, I am just highlighting the huge margin for error that it creates.

I could probably contact him and state my case for why I should be able to take it but I've resigned myself to the fact that this class is worthless for me. Based on my previous encounter with him in trying to resolve the email issue where he continually blamed me for why I am not receiving any correspondence directed at the class (I guess it's too much to ask for a CC?), I have zero belief that he actually cares. He puts on a good front by encouraging people to skype him and blah blah but he has completely let me down. Maybe I'll post the email thread up later. I'll be surprised if he gives me a voucher after not taking the midterm.

1/10 would not take this course again. It's a shame because I was really looking forward to this too. At least it was only $200. Will continue with the NetApp labs.
    WGU MSISA
  • Options

Allow me to preface my comments by stating that I hate NetApp's Web site. The experience was so painful that I blocked it out of my memory, but I'll try to recall my steps.

1. /http://mysupport.netapp.com/
    2. "Register Now"
    3. NetApp appears to reject free e-mail accounts, so use something else.
    4. "Guest User"
    5. Fill out the form.
    6. Wait a couple of days.
    7. /https://learningcenter.netapp.com/dmsv2/SSORedirectionService?source=saba&p=PC26214195259
    8. Select the school and the so-called instructor.
    9. Click on "Enroll for All" next to the NetApp Associate Program.

JustFred wrote: »

This class is an unmitigated disaster, Fred. The EMC labs are worthless, and I'm so disgusted by the design of NetApp's Web site that I have not attempted their labs yet.

If you want to take a class in VMware, then I recommend Stanly Community College. They offer straightforward labs without any of the aggravation.
  • Options
    this thread should put to rest any thoughts about anyone thinking about taking the Storage class.
  • Options
    I'll be surprised if he gives me a voucher after not taking the midterm.
    Did he already take down the midterm exam? I received an e-mail from him on October 10 saying that the deadline for the midterm is 11/3/2014 at 11:30 PM CST, so there should still be two more days left.

I work every day. I took today off just so I could do his stupid test, and he decides to pull the damn thing early. **** you, Newman!
  • Options
    This class is an unmitigated disaster, Fred. The EMC labs are worthless, and I'm so disgusted by the design of NetApp's Web site that I have not attempted their labs yet.

If you want to take a class in VMware, then I recommend Stanly Community College. They offer straightforward labs without any of the aggravation.

Thanks, I did take the Stanly class. Was hoping for a good storage class as well. May as well go for a Storage+ next year until something else comes along that i can afford and it's also good.
  • Options
    Did he already take down the midterm exam?
    It would appear so. I sat down to take it last night and it was not available to me.
    I received an e-mail from him on October 10 saying that the deadline for the midterm is 11/3/2014 at 11:30 PM CST, so there should still be two more days left.
    I KNEW IT!!! Vindication is so sweet.
    I work every day. I took today off just so I could do his stupid test, and he decides to pull the damn thing early. **** you, Newman!

While I hate that for you, I am glad I am not the only one. If you have any communication with Newman regarding this, please pass it along.
    The EMC labs are worthless.
    It's a stretch even calling them labs. I could have completed all of the assigned quizzes with a PDF with screen shots.
    I'm so disgusted by the design of NetApp's Web site that I have not attempted their labs yet.
    I wouldn't write off NetApp's labs just yet. They are a solid company and from what I hear, they have good labs. FWIW, VMware's website isn't particularly user friendly either. I haven't had time to sit down and do any of the NetApp labs yet but would be interested to hear from someone who has.
    rob3bb wrote: »
    this thread should put to rest any thoughts about anyone thinking about taking the Storage class.
    So long as it is being taught by Newman anyways.
    3. NetApp appears to reject free e-mail accounts, so use something else.
    I used a .edu from my undergrad days.
    WGU MSISA
  • Options
    but I'll try to recall my steps.
    Thank you.
  • Options
    You're welcome, Sam.

Has anyone tried to do the NetApp labs? I only see two of them.

Basic NetApp Configuration and Administration Self-Paced Lab Part 1
    Basic NetApp Configuration and Administration Self-Paced Lab Part 2

And neither one works. When I try to launch either lab, I get an error message.

GuloVwT.png
  • Options
    Got my certificate of completion for the VMWare class. $200 well spent. :) Now I just have to find some time to study. Gonna have to take a back seat since I have 4 months to renew my CCIE.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    GAB1900GAB1900 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Got my certificate of completion for the VMWare class. $200 well spent. :) Now I just have to find some time to study. Gonna have to take a back seat since I have 4 months to renew my CCIE.

Zartanasaurus, do you mind giving us an overview of your experience with them for the VCP class? Did you get a voucher? How did you like the class?
  • Options
    tprice5:

I no longer have permission to send private messages on this forum, but maybe I can still receive them. If you send me your e-mail address, I'll forward some more information to you.