Options

VCP5 and EMC/NetApp classes online at Dallas County Community College

Comments

• Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    I am the DCCC source. The VCAP class is for DCD according to Greg, the program coordinator.
    Are you taking it online for the summer term? We didn't see that offered.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's not being offered online. Debating on making the drive twice a week.
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

• Options
    Cable_guyCable_guy Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It's not being offered online. Debating on making the drive twice a week.

Mind putting me on speaker phone.....???icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_wink.gif
  • Options
    And now the countdown until the fall schedule icon_bounce.gificon_bounce.gificon_bounce.gificon_bounce.gificon_bounce.gificon_bounce.gif
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    MagnumRPMagnumRP Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Does this mean that it is online now, or are we still waiting for it?
  • Options
    I decided to not take the class, just too much work to do to sit in a classroom/lab for 3 hours. Might be offered in the Fall or Spring on-line according to Greg Newman, but who knows??? Still waiting on EMC voucher from Spring semester.
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

• Options
    Fall schedule is up.
    WGU MSISA
  • Options
    As of writing this the EMC/NetApp course has 12/15 available seats. The VMware course has 5/15 available. If you would like to check availability for yourself you can do so HERE

EDIT: Direct link doesn't appear to be working. Try following Asif's instructions...
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    to check for course availability:

1. Check the schedule page and click the link to the Spring or Fall schedules. From there follow the links to VMware & EMC ISM. Take a note of the course ID.

2. Click "Find CE/WT Classes" on this page.

3. Select the term, North Lake College and the course of "ITNW - Information Sciences/Systems" and click submit.

4. You should be able to view the class availability now.

Enjoy! icon_thumright.gif
    WGU MSISA
  • Options
    rob3bbrob3bb Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just registered for fall Emc class there are now 11/15 seats available. I've previously taken stanly VMware and passed VCP
  • Options
    SamMerlotteSamMerlotte Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    rob3bb wrote: »
    I just registered
    Online or via phone? I was trying to register today but the steps by Asif on the first page say it's easiest to handle over the phone.
  • Options
    rob3bbrob3bb Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I registered online it was fairly straight forward.
  • Options
    I just registered online as well. Rob3bb is correct, it is pretty straight forward but not obvious.

1. Go HERE and fill out the web forms.
    2. Continue filling in information and clicking next. It is the same application that everyone fills out for admission.
    3. Once completed it should accept you automatically. Write down your student identification number. Click next.
    4. Create your eConnect account. (The password requirement is so stupid. "At least 8 character but no more than 9")
    5. Once you have an eConnect account, sign in and go to THIS page and select "Register for CE/WT Classes".
    6. Select Term: Fall 2014, Northlake College, Course: ITNW Information Sciences/Systems and click Submit.
    7. Choose your course, register and pay.

And then you're done.

NetApp/EMC availability: 10/15
    WGU MSISA
  • Options
    Dewayne.smith1Dewayne.smith1 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have not been on this site in a few years now. A friend from work told me about the class and just got signed up today. I was 4 more online slots left I think.
  • Options
    SamMerlotteSamMerlotte Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    tprice5 wrote: »
    I just registered online as well. Rob3bb is correct, it is pretty straight forward but not obvious.
    Thanks. The EMC class now has 9 available.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Somewhat confusing. What searching for classes @ Dallas online, the course IS different than what I see offered when trying to register for the class, but it appears this one is offered online as well. Can someone confirm that ITNW-1013-74026 is the online VMWare class people are registering for?
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    Somewhat confusing. What searching for classes @ Dallas online, the course IS different than what I see offered when trying to register for the class, but it appears this one is offered online as well. Can someone confirm that ITNW-1013-74026 is the online VMWare class people are registering for?

The Fall credit class is ITNW-1413-91400

eConnect - Browse Dallas Colleges Online Credit Classes - Fall 2014 - ITNW

Arthur Ashe

• Options
    Can someone confirm that ITNW-1013-74026 is the online VMWare class people are registering for?

ITNW-1013-74026 is the online VMware course. There are no more seats available for this course. The NetApp/EMC course is down to 7 available.
    WGU MSISA
  • Options
    It looks like they offer multiple versions of this class online via different campuses. As long as the one I'm registered for works, I'm fine.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    dabadaba Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just took the last spot for the Fall EMC class.
  • Options
    Cable_guyCable_guy Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Dang... I wanted to get in on this class... I will be watching to see if any spots open up. ^^^^ Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
  • Options
    I think we're still waiting on a write up from Asif icon_cool.gif
    WGU MSISA
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    tprice5 wrote: »
    I think we're still waiting on a write up from Asif icon_cool.gif
    Ooops, I forgot I had to write a finishing piece. I didn't really get stuck in to the course like I should have, but it seems others on the course had the same problem (we were given repeated reminders to complete overdue tasks). However, Greg the course co-ordinator still gave us the exam vouchers, we had to request them rather than be given them automatically.

I didn't really get to play with the NetApp simulator all that much, at least enough to say that I am competent with it, but I was more interested in the EMC exam for now and I didn't request a NetApp voucher as Greg had said the exam was tough and the Advanced EMC/NetApp course in Spring 2015 would cover that exam more fully.

If I am completely honest if I were to do it all over again I would get the $500 training material from Amazon and get the EMC exam done quickly rather than over 4 months. However that training from Amazon does not include an exam voucher and works out much more expensive. There is a version available on the EMC Education Store for $600 which includes an exam voucher (the first green Buy Now link on the left). For me, life got in the way of keeping up with this over 4 months, however this may not be a problem for others.

Like I say, life got in the way of things and I haven't been on the case for exams for a little bit now, but I will re-read the EMCISM book and go over the lectures again before I sit this exam. Maybe Datacomboss or someone else on the course who has taken the exam can report on the actual exam... if not, I will report back when I get around to taking the exam.

Just in case you want to download the lectures, they can be downloaded using Quicktime Pro then save them as a MP4 - At least that's what I did. Just as a comparison... the lectures totalled 11.5 hours long - while the training from Amazon according to the link above is 32 hours of lectures and 8 hours of self-test knowledge.
  • Options
    kbowen0188kbowen0188 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would definitely be interested in hearing more from the others who have taken this class, if anyone else here has. I also wanted to take it but it was full for Fall 2014 by the time I called. I am more interested in the Netapp side of things than the EMC, though I am curious about both.
  • Options
    NetApp was only a very small part of the course and we just did the training from the NetApp website (NCSA). They have a ton of free training there also for the more advanced stuff. You just need to get your hands on the ONTAP simulator.. google or wait for the course

for EMC this might be useful too:

Information and Storage Management flashcards | Quizlet

Flashcards for the EMC ISM test... click on Flashcards at the top to start it - it's quite difficult to say the least
  • Options
    Prof just sent out an email to the class letting everyone know there are available spots in the EMC/NetApp class. FYI.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    Prof just sent out an email to the class letting everyone know there are available spots in the EMC/NetApp class. FYI.

I'm in the class too. No email. Actually no communication at all. Should I be concerned?

EDIT: Didn't realize I could sign into blackboard already. This happened with Stanly.edu as well. I don't know why but I just expect to receive an email telling me the class is now available to be seen and logged into with a link. Either way, glad to be signed up.

EDIT 2: I was under the impression that vouchers were provided for the exams. Judging by the screen capture below, it doesn't appear that way.
    WGU MSISA
  • Options
    MagnumRPMagnumRP Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Same here. I'm enrolled in the class too and haven't received any communication except for the debit card.
  • Options
    @tprice5 - you can ignore that screen, you will get vouchers at the end of the course. I'm subscribed to the thread so will be interested to see other's experience of the same course! I still haven't taken the exam though as I am playing with VMware a lot these days...
  • Options
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    for EMC this might be useful too:

Information and Storage Management flashcards | Quizlet

Flashcards for the EMC ISM test... click on Flashcards at the top to start it - it's quite difficult to say the least

That's a nice set of flashcards. Taking my test next Saturday.

Arthur Ashe

• Options
    DigitalismDigitalism Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I went to register for the class today and when I searched it didn't even pull up. Once the classes are full do they just disappear?