Options

Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dt3k wrote: »
    For WGU's test do you guys prefer a testing center or the webcam?

I just received my webcam today. I plan on using it for all the exams I can due to the distance and hours of my testing centers. It was nice that they automatically sent it to me.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    Webcam, its just more convenient and I live near a bunch of test centers.
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
  • Options
    nhprnhpr Member Posts: 165
    drew726 wrote: »
    Webcam, its just more convenient and I live near a bunch of test centers.

I had never (and probably never will again) take an exam while not wearing any pants. The webcams are eminently convenient.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Had I more WGU exams, a webcam might have been convenient. But then, with young kids, it could have been a real curse.

Normally speaking, though, I would prefer to go to a test center to take an exam. Much easier to focus when away from normal surroundings.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    MikeinPAMikeinPA Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your comments on WFV1, I've scheduled the test for June 27th. I'll be sure to post here when I'm done. To add to the current topic, I've always taken my tests at a testing center. Wouldn't be able to concentrate at home. This test coming up will be my first IT test, and therefore my first Prometric testing site. All other tests were done at the local community college.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I noticed some of you guys posted your WGU progress in your signatures, and I can't wait to put mine up. I can put up my transferred credits now, but I rather wait until I know I am officially enroll. I'm only waiting on Financial Aid. I just want to know what you think is the most accurate way to measure your progress at WGU. Is it by the number of courses/assessments left or is it by number of CU left? I think we should measure it by CUs, not number of courses left.
  • Options
    petedude wrote: »
    Had I more WGU exams, a webcam might have been convenient. But then, with young kids, it could have been a real curse.

Normally speaking, though, I would prefer to go to a test center to take an exam. Much easier to focus when away from normal surroundings.

Yea, the first time I did it. UPS guy came knocking my door. Then my dogs started barking at the UPS guy lol. I'm like SHUT THE HELL UP! They didn't pause my test hahaha
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I noticed some of you guys posted your WGU progress in your signatures, and I can't wait to put mine up. I can put up my transferred credits now, but I rather wait until I know I am officially enroll. I'm only waiting on Financial Aid. I just want to know what you think is the most accurate way to measure your progress at WGU. Is it by the number of courses/assessments left or is it by number of CU left? I think we should measure it by CUs, not number of courses left.

Either way would work, although some of the CU given per course is a little deceptive from what I hear. Not sure how they determine the CU number for each course, some of amazingly easy yet give 3-4 CU. While some of the harder ones only give 2. Although the tests for MCITP are probably right on the money at 6.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    PishofPishof Member Posts: 193

It's hard to measure by either metric alone. A couple 4CU classes are so easy you can pass the final assessment without studying if you have good business sense. So that's a couple days for 8CU.

However, some courses are only 2CU and take much longer than a 4CU class. Other 6CU classes take near a month of study time each while you could knock out 12+ CU in that time on easier classes.

I don't find either class remaining or CU alone remaining an accurate way to determine % of effort/time left but you'll generally have a very good feel for how long you'll have left once you recognize whats the courses are and have an estimate of how long each class should take you.
    Courses Left for WGU BS - IT: NA:
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
  • Options
    Hypntick wrote: »
    Either way would work, although some of the CU given per course is a little deceptive from what I hear. Not sure how they determine the CU number for each course, some of amazingly easy yet give 3-4 CU. While some of the harder ones only give 2. Although the tests for MCITP are probably right on the money at 6.

You're not the only one that's wondering. I was surprised that the BRV1 and the BSV1 are 3 CUs each. I mean the CCENT alone is easily rated as one of the difficult exams we ever took. I thought all "certs" class are 6 CUs. I figured the composite CCNA exam is worth 6 CUs, but I disagree with this.
    Pishof wrote: »
    It's hard to measure by either metric alone. A couple 4CU classes are so easy you can pass the final assessment without studying if you have good business sense. So that's a couple days for 8CU.

However, some courses are only 2CU and take much longer than a 4CU class. Other 6CU classes take near a month of study time each while you could knock out 12+ CU in that time on easier classes.

I don't find either class remaining or CU alone remaining an accurate way to determine % of effort/time left but you'll generally have a very good feel for how long you'll have left once you recognize whats the courses are and have an estimate of how long each class should take you.

True. I can't disagree more. I heard that others have done 30-40 CUs in one term, and I envy them. I only have 46 CUs left after I enroll (although, I'm in the middle of my ICND2 stuff), and I can probably finish off the first 12 CUs or so. I was hoping to finish everything in one term, but my only concern is the Capstone project and the Technical Writing since I'm not a big fan of papers. I might take up the whole second term writing out my whole Capstone project along with Technical Writing. I hope CCNA Security isn't as difficult as ICND 1 and 2 together. Thanks for answering my post, guys.
  • Options
    MikeinPAMikeinPA Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have two nicely framed items on my wall, my Honorable Discharge certificate from the Air Force and my BS in Business Management degree. When I complete my IT degree, I will frame that as well. But.. What about all the certificates you get for the IT program (Comptia and CIW, plus MCTS). In total I'll have 9 certificates. I'll be proud of each one so I feel like I should hang them, but that would be a total of 12 FRAMES hanging on my wall. Seems overboard??

Do you frame your up on the wall?
  • Options
    MikeinPA wrote: »
    I have two nicely framed items on my wall, my Honorable Discharge certificate from the Air Force and my BS in Business Management degree. When I complete my IT degree, I will frame that as well. But.. What about all the certificates you get for the IT program (Comptia and CIW, plus MCTS). In total I'll have 9 certificates. I'll be proud of each one so I feel like I should hang them, but that would be a total of 12 FRAMES hanging on my wall. Seems overboard??

I'd leave out the CIW and CompTIA ones. Now if you're getting the MCITP, i'd frame that any day of the week, same as a CCNA.
  • Options
    I don't frame any certificates but I do laminate them and keep them in a drawer. My dog bit one of them before.
    Completed Courses:
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
  • Options
    citinerdcitinerd Member Posts: 266
    Anyone have the MGC1 Book they would like to get rid of. I know the eText is available but I like having the actual book to travel with me.

The book is: Management: Leading & collaborating in the competitive world (9th ed.)
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    citinerd wrote: »
    Anyone have the MGC1 Book they would like to get rid of. I know the eText is available but I like having the actual book to travel with me.

The book is: Management: Leading & collaborating in the competitive world (9th ed.)

ill look in my giant box of books when i get home

edit: nope sry
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    j_griffithj_griffith Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□

I have my significant certs framed: CISSP, CAP, CISA. but on frame stands on my shelf in my office space. My remaining Certs, I have Scanned backup images, and have put them in an "I Love Me" reference book with all my training Certificates, CPE records, Transcripts, DD-214, and such. My Bachelors Degree framed above my home office desk.

R,

J.
    WGU PROGRESS
    M.S Information Assurance and Security______ Completed: 0 CU's
    Start Date: October 2011 _ ______________________ _Remaining: 32 CU's

Goal for term ending 3/30/12 - EWOB1
    Courses Remaining / Term 2 Goal -
    Completed this term -
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510

At home or work?

At some offices, openly displayed certs play well. I remember a time at one gig where I had to fight for credibility, and once I started listing certs in my E-mail signature some of those issues abated. Don't know how framing/displaying those would go over at that joint, although I'm sure some managers would be impressed. In other organizations though, there would certainly be a "wow" factor and in still others-- you'd be considered an egocentric pig. :D

At home: too little space, too much me already. It would just be more clutter. :)
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    JourdshJourdsh Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Question for all of you. How long does it normally take to receive a voucher after your mentor requests one for you?

Had to jump through every hoop in the book to get my mentor to request vouchers so I could take some exams this week. Now he says it is going to take 3-5 days. Wish I knew that before killing myself to prove to him I was ready.
    WGU Progress
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    takes me 15 min to 4 hrs to get approval then its the assessment department ... normally a total of 72 hrs most of the time the next day
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    Raidersfan81Raidersfan81 Member Posts: 124
    I just got the e-mail from WGU stating that they received my transcripts from prior college, is there a way I will be able to view which classes will transfer in once they have went over them? Or will I receive an email once they have gone over them?

Thanks.
  • Options
    briandy81 wrote: »
    I just got the e-mail from WGU stating that they received my transcripts from prior college, is there a way I will be able to view which classes will transfer in once they have went over them? Or will I receive an email once they have gone over them?

Thanks.

They send you an e-mail. They usually do it after they receive a check, but you can (and really ought to) get the evaluation before you plunk down money. You just have to stick to your guns and keep asking them.
  • Options
    Guys, I just called my enrollment counselor, and I'm glad I was able to get ahold of him at my first attempt tonight after many unsuccessful calls back in May. I was just telling him that I might not be able to enroll in July, and may have to enroll in August instead due to the fact that the financial aid office does not have my award letter ready. The last date I submitted a document was June 2nd.

He assured me that I am ready to enroll in July, because I completed all the required steps and documents. I told him that the catch is that I do not want to enroll before I get to see my award letter, but he said I won't be able to see the award letter after all until I declare a start date and enroll officially at my Intake Interview. He also said that the financial aid will not disburse the fund until 7 to 10 days after I complete EWB. I was surprised by this. So, I surrendered and can't offer any reason to avoid the Intake interview anymore. I told him that I will quit WGU regardless of my progress after the first term if the Financial Aid decides to drop bomb on me (claiming that I am not qualified for federal aids after completely processed all paperwork). So, looks like I would need to save up a portion of my paychecks from work for my emergency bailout fund this summer. I was qualified for direct student loan at my previous school that I just left last March, and I only owe $9k back, but I plan to defer the repayment until after WGU graduation.

Edit: I forgot to ask the question. Like the title said, is he for real or just trying to "scam" people into signing up impulsively?
  • Options
    PishofPishof Member Posts: 193
    Guys, I just called my enrollment counselor, and I'm glad I was able to get ahold of him at my first attempt tonight after many unsuccessful calls back in May. I was just telling him that I might not be able to enroll in July, and may have to enroll in August instead due to the fact that the financial aid office does not have my award letter ready. The last date I submitted a document was June 2nd.

He assured me that I am ready to enroll in July, because I completed all the required steps and documents. I told him that the catch is that I do not want to enroll before I get to see my award letter, but he said I won't be able to see the award letter after all until I declare a start date and enroll officially at my Intake Interview. He also said that the financial aid will not disburse the fund until 7 to 10 days after I complete EWB. I was surprised by this. So, I surrendered and can't offer any reason to avoid the Intake interview anymore. I told him that I will quit WGU regardless of my progress after the first term if the Financial Aid decides to drop bomb on me (claiming that I am not qualified for federal aids after completely processed all paperwork). So, looks like I would need to save up a portion of my paychecks from work for my emergency bailout fund this summer. I was qualified for direct student loan at my previous school that I just left last March, and I only owe $9k back, but I plan to defer the repayment until after WGU graduation.

Edit: I forgot to ask the question. Like the title said, is he for real or just trying to "scam" people into signing up impulsively?

I don't see WGU as a place where high pressure enrollment or scam-type tactics are employed. My enrollement counselor only worked with me and I never felt pushed or coerced into starting until I was comfortable unlike infamous private colleges are known for.

Unfortunately, I am paying for tuition out of pocket so I don't have any experience with financial aid to answer any questions there but I'm sure someone else will be able to.
    Courses Left for WGU BS - IT: NA:
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
  • Options
    Pishof wrote: »
    I don't see WGU as a place where high pressure enrollment or scam-type tactics are employed. My enrollement counselor only worked with me and I never felt pushed or coerced into starting until I was comfortable unlike infamous private colleges are known for.

Unfortunately, I am paying for tuition out of pocket so I don't have any experience with financial aid to answer any questions there but I'm sure someone else will be able to.

I was thinking the same thing. I mean the majority of the members here at TE are praising this school, and I wasn't sure if I was making the right choice of having my intake interview on Thursday evening. I just can't afford to miss out school for another month, especially when I need that "stress" environment to keep me focus on certifications since my internship is not really concerned with my certifications at all. I was eager to see what WGU is like and what it has to offer. Another reason why I want to enroll ASAP is because I had to "lie" about still attending at my previous school to the other interns. I just felt a little ashamed to say this and that. Lastly, it's my birthday next month. I deserve this sweet present icon_lol.gif

Anyway, I just want to know if what my counselor said claims to be true, but if no one knows yet, then I'm gonna get back to you guys on the update on the end of July. I remembered when I was in HS, my previous school sent me the award letter before I officially started classes in the fall. So what the counselor said seems kind of fishy in my opinion. If the FA did drop a bomb on me, then that's definitely gonna pissed me off and probably motivates me to try to finish 46 CUs in one term, but I was originally expecting two terms since CCNA, CCNA Security, Project+, and the two final writing projects are gonna take up a lot of time.
  • Options

I knew full well what my disbursement was before I signed any paperwork committing to a start date. As far as disbursement of funds happening after EWB, that part is true. If you have any questions about the process, contact financial aid directly and bypass your enrollment guy. I know they don't really use strong arm tactics etc. but remember one very important fact with them, they are selling you something. Never trust someone who is selling you something.
  • Options
    Hypntick wrote: »
    I knew full well what my disbursement was before I signed any paperwork committing to a start date. As far as disbursement of funds happening after EWB, that part is true. If you have any questions about the process, contact financial aid directly and bypass your enrollment guy. I know they don't really use strong arm tactics etc. but remember one very important fact with them, they are selling you something. Never trust someone who is selling you something.

Okay, then in that case, I would have to call the Financial Aid office and ask them if I will receive the award letter before my intake interview. If they said yes, then I'm gonna call and lie to my enrollment counselor too telling him that I can't start in July, because "something" came up and I won't be able to focus on school in July. icon_lol.gif Payback is a female dog.
  • Options
    LugzLugz Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just stumbled upon WGU today...and I'm very intrigued after researching the school.

However, I must say that I'm a bit skeptical. The tuition is almost half as much as the online school I was going to attend this fall (Park University in MO), which I just find hard to believe given the rising cost of education.

In addition, the no credit hours deal kind of has me worried....should I be?

I honestly need something like WGU, with it's very affordable tuition and easy to manage schedule, but I'm so used to being ripped off or misled, that I just can't believe what I'm reading.

Is my worrying for naught?
  • Options
    shecklersheckler Member Posts: 201
    I've been reading this forum for a while and barely anyone has major complaints about the school. As long as you can handle learning on your own and not having any professors to teach the material, it's good. An accredited bachelors and a bunch of certs for 6k/yr is probably the best deal around.
  • Options
    LugzLugz Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sheckler wrote: »
    I've been reading this forum for a while and barely anyone has major complaints about the school. As long as you can handle learning on your own and not having any professors to teach the material, it's good. An accredited bachelors and a bunch of certs for 6k/yr is probably the best deal around.

So essentially they just send me the text books, I read them, then take a test? Is there any outline of the class or prepared lectures by professors? In the past when I've taken online classes, there was still an agenda we had to follow, with deadlines, etc. In addition, we had a teacher just like a brick and mortar school.

Does WGU even have any professors?
  • Options
    Lugz wrote: »
    So essentially they just send me the text books, I read them, then take a test? Is there any outline of the class or prepared lectures by professors? In the past when I've taken online classes, there was still an agenda we had to follow, with deadlines, etc. In addition, we had a teacher just like a brick and mortar school.

Does WGU even have any professors?

There is a detailed outline (called a "course of study"), there are no real deadlines, and you have "course mentors" instead of professors. Any help you need would have to be scheduled and done over the phone or the internet. It's also entirely up to you to seek out help if you need it.