Options

2010 Certification Plans

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ITIL V3 Foundations (Completed)
    ISO/IEC 20000 Foundation (Completed)
    Registered for ITIL® Service Capability: Operational Support and Analysis ( August )
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My plans for 2010 are in my signature but it feels good to list them out icon_wink.gif

1. CompTIA A+
    2. Cisco Certified Entry Network Technician
    3. CompTIA Network+
    4. CompTIA Security+
    5. Cisco Certified Network Associate

The first four I will complete before August but hopefully I can try out the ICND2 in December if I feel comfortable enough.

I will also be starting my B.S. in Cybersecurity this fall to be completed in Fall of 2011.
  • Options
    whotimewhotime Member Posts: 122 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My 2010 plans are to take:

1. My A+: need it to sublett 3 college courses
    2. Security + because it is certified for life.
    3. Any of the Comptia certs I can take and afford for the afformentioned reason.
    4. CCENT/CCNA when i get out of Netacademy in december

These are my goals, starting the studying for my A+ and my Sec+ next week hopefull to take them in a month.
    WGU BS: IT-Security
    In Progress: C170, C246
    To Be Completed: C247, C299, C697, C698, C435, C436, C179
  • Options
    azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    My Cert plans for 2010 are:

1. Degree (Done)
    2. SSCP (Done) Pending Endorsement
    3. CWNA (July) Currently Studying
    4. CWSP (Sept)
    5. Net+ School requirement
    6. CISSP (Sept)
    7. CEH (Dec) But might get pushed into next year.

Some things may change, It all depends on what my work/school load is.
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    CCIE lab this year. Post CCIE some Juniper and some backfill in Voice/SP/Storage. CCSA would be nice and some UNIX cert (probably SCSA) to round off my early years with Solaris.

If the VCP or ITIL thing comes with my job so be it.
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    I'm part way through the CCNP at the moment (completed the BSCI, gonna get the BCMSN out the way by July the 31st, do TSHOOT at some point later in the year), so thats obviously where my plan lies.

After that? Not sure, I would have liked to have gone straight to CCIE after the CCNP, but I aint earning enough on top of having a mortgage to pay, to pay for the training materials, so I'm holding back on that for now (2011 start I hope).

I'm torn between getting some Juniper certs under me (we don't use them at work, so this isn't immediately useful, but could open up opportunities), the CCIP (MPLS, BGP and QoS would be very useful, but it ties me to one vendor even more), or some Linux certs (I use *nix based systems day in day out, but not in the same way as most people do, so this may not be useful to me for a while).

I'm leaning towards quickly getting a JNCIA under my belt, as the networking material I will know like the back of my hand, it's just the syntax/approach will be different, and then heading towards CCIP.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Six and 1/2 months to go everyone! icon_study.gif

70-680 Thursday, 70-685 hopefully by the end of the month, and then the Project+ in a couple of months.
  • Options
    poriggityporiggity Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yessir! I am >< close to sitting for 70-270, which has taken way too long, due to my crappy work schedule and a boss that has no empathy.... Enough with the excuses, time to hit the books.
    A+, 70-270, and working on 70-290 now. Certs are good.
    claymoore wrote:
    If you're unzipping your fly to show off your A+, N+ and Sec+, I'm going to ask if it's cold in here.
  • Options
    TheMechanicTheMechanic Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Server+ next Wednesday, then 70-680
    Needs 100K
  • Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    I graduate in December, so I'm thinking that I'll try to finish up the CCNP. I'm about half way through, but I don't have the same dedication most people have.
  • Options
    Dilan-LTDilan-LT Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My plans =]
    1. CCNA
    2. 70-685
    3. 70-686
  • Options
    skylineskyline Member Posts: 135
    1. CCNA
    2: MCITP: EA (maybe?)
    Goals for '11
    MCITP: EA
    ITIL
    CCNA

Studying:
    MS press book 70-680
  • Options
    Warsh1pWarsh1p Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    1. MCTS: Windows 7 (August)
    2. Network+ (November)
    #Current Studies#
    || B.S. in Management Information Systems
    || MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit: Configuring Microsoft Windows 7
    || Element K Windows 7 Configuration Courses
    || Transcender: MCTS Windows 7 Practice Exam

#Certification Path#
    || August 2010: MCTS Win 7 Config (70-680)
    || November 2010: CompTIA Network+ (N10-004)
    || February 2011: CompTIA Project+ (PK0-003)
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    So who has managed to actually stay on course for their 2010 cert plans?
  • Options
    Knives OutKnives Out Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »

I have, sorta! I just finished my CCDA and getting prepped for starting my MS certs

Knives Out wrote: »
    After that I am aiming at CCNA Voice or CCDA, either of which should count towards renewing my CCNA, then onwards to begin the Microsoft journey I've been delaying so long.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    These were my plans:
    My plans for 2010 are in my signature but it feels good to list them out icon_wink.gif

1. CompTIA A+
    2. Cisco Certified Entry Network Technician
    3. CompTIA Network+
    4. CompTIA Security+
    5. Cisco Certified Network Associate

The first four I will complete before August but hopefully I can try out the ICND2 in December if I feel comfortable enough.

I will also be starting my B.S. in Cybersecurity this fall to be completed in Fall of 2011.

I did!! :)

I decided to go for a Masters in Cybersecurity instead of getting another bachelors and I'll start it in Fall next year.
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My plan included getting MCITP-EA and MCITP-SA, I have one exam left (70-647) and by that I fulfill my goal for 2010.

Big plans for 2011
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503

Pretty much dead on for me, I got the CCNP like I wanted, and I got a JNCIA (the JUNOS in this case). I'm also starting the CCIP (couple of chapters into the QoS material), and I have plans for the CCIE Written at some point next year, so I'm doing pretty good. I'm probably gonna do another Juniper one (JNCIS-ENT or SP) in the middle, and I may chuck one or two others in there if I feel like it.

But yeah, I hit my 2010 goals, so hopefully I can repeat that for 2011!
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod

Not it!

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    eMeS wrote: »
    My plans for 2010 include:

CMC - Started, but on hold at the moment.

ITIL Master - This hasn't been released. As soon as it is, I will knock it out.

ISO/IEC 27002 - I'll be doing both of these within the next 2 months...

IBM Certs - Didn't do any, it's hasn't been much of an IBM year for me.

Other Possibilities:

CBAP - No, but my business partner did.

Cisco Certs - No, but again some work in this area is popping up, so it might happen at some point.

Basically I did two certs this year. The ITIL Service Catalogue back in March, and the Change Analyst one last month.

MS
  • Options
    I recieved all my certs in 2010 listed except for the 2007 MOS (Outlook, Word, Power Point, and Excel )

ITIL Foundation V3, ITIL OSA, ISO 20000 Foundation, ISO 27002 Foundations, MOF Foundation V4

I am hoping to get Network + before the year is over.

I was going to try to grab Project + too but we will see, I think N+ and that will be a wrap.

A lot of good people on this forum showed me the path. I don't regret one certification and I hope to continue in the future. Like I said earlier I would like to complete Network + to get some solid knowledge of networking and then pursue another ITIL certification next year. I am looking at ITIL PPO for next year. I am enrolled in the Cisco academy, but I might have to drop out due to some other career opportunities. (IT related)
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    These were my cert plans:
    Getting my Amateur Extra license is also on my plate for 2010. Gonna try to do it at Defcon 18 in August.

Oh, and as for certs, I'm doing the OSCP next, maybe renewing my CWSP, and taking the CCENT->CCNA->CCNA:Security route. I also want to take a few computer forensics classes next year, so it's anyone's guess where most of my time will be spent.

That plan sure went to Hell-in-a-hand-basket. 4Q-2009/1Q-2010 I was into network design and virtualization. One major project shift later, I'm all about computer forensics and endpoint security. Now Cisco certs are the furthermost thing from my mind, and I'm looking at the EnCE and CHFI instead.

I did go through the OSCP class, and technically I have thru next month to complete the cert, but that ain't gonna happen either.

And I made it to Defcon 18, but I didn't take the Extra exam. Next year for sure!!
  • Options
    L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    I don't really know what I will actually get accomplished. I would like to do the following though:

GCIA
    GCFW (that's a bigggg maybe)
    CCNA: Sec
    CCSA (also a big maybe)

Well I ended up with:
    GCIA
    ArcSight ESM Security analyst

I'm currently working on CCNA:Sec so I'll have it in a few weeks. I may have the chance to get some more vendor specific certs in the very near future, so we shall see.
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I was going to set goals for 2010, then realized no matter what I did, we're only two years away from 2012 and the end of the world. What's the point???!

Seriously though...

Finish my MCITP:EA upgrade. Probably January 2010.

CCNA

Some MCSE/MCITP electives to round out my portfolio:
    70-284
    70-285
    70-401

Probably should do MCITP:EMA and I want to get my CCA as well.

So 10 exams for 2010.

Wow, looks like I hit most of my major goals. Based on a job change, it looks like I'm going to be abandoning more Microsoft certs in favor of Cisco certs for the time being. I was hoping to get things like Hyper-V, and SCCM, but I'm currently studying for CCNP, and hope to have CCNP Security and Voice by this time next year. Would like to study for storage too, but as I understand it, the EMC training is expensive. icon_sad.gif
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□

I made it half way but my plans also changed when I got a new job.
  • Options
    xmalachi wrote: »

That could happen to me shortly
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    That could happen to me shortly

I hope so! :D Definitely was the best thing for me.
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637

Not me
    Goals for 2010:
    Mostly still up in the air because I am running out of MS certs that have value to my career right now. I will probably be required to take a couple so I can deliver some specific engagements like Windows 7 deployments or MDOP proof of concepts. After I pass my BCMSN I may take the BSCI and then the CCDA and CCDP, but I don't know if I will complete the CCNP next year. It just depends on how much time I have.

MCITP:EMA 2010 upgrade. Still not sure if it will be 1 or 2 exams, but I will be updating to 2010 next year. This is my only definite goal.

I ended 2009 by failing the BCMSN by one question and then never got around to the retake before the exam expired. I haven't touched any Cisco gear in almost 2 years so while I may renew my CCNA, I won't be pursuing any other Cisco certs. I passed 662 but I don't plan on taking 663 to complete the 2010 EMA until next year.

The year wasn't a total loss as I did pass 6 MS exams and have a 7th scheduled this week. A couple of beta exams and some requests from the bosses to meet new partner requirements throughout the year kept me busy:
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]686 [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]PRO: Windows 7, Enterprise Desktop Administration - [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Jul 23, 2010[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]681 [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]TS: Windows 7 and Office 2010, Deploying - [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Jul 23, 2010[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]669 [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]TS: Windows Server 2008 R2, Desktop Virtualization - [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Mar 19, 2010[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]656 [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]TS: Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack, Configuring - [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Mar 19, 2010[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]403 [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]TS: SCVMM 2008, Configuring - [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Feb 15, 2010[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]662 [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]TS: Microsoft Exchange Server 2010, Configuring - [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Jan 08, 2010[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]I expected to be done after the 686/681 day, but I have the 401 SCCM exam this week to wrap up a 5-test advanced desktop competency that my global manager asked us to achieve (680,681,686,656 and 401 - I had 4 already). Then this morning I was voluntold to pursue training and certification on the BinaryTree Notes to Exchange migration tools. I don't know if I have to do it by the end of the year, though.[/FONT]
  • Options
    rhauser44rhauser44 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    xmalachi wrote: »

Plans changed here too. Specifically, I was laid off in July. icon_sad.gif

Until that point I was studying to complete my MCSE 2003. Now I'm thinking it will be more cost effective to just cross-over and certify in MCITP: EA. After that, I'll look for a specialization, maybe SQL or Exchange. During screening interviews I'm suprised that there have been more than a few companies that want to see experience in both. jeesh!

The lesson I'm learning is that I will never again allow myself to be "silo'ed" into a specific role in a large corporation. I'll look for a position where I have an opportunity to do a little bit of everything.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Here are my plans:
    MCITP: DBA 2008 Upgrade Exam
    MCITP: Database Developer (Completed ~May)
    MCTS: SharePoint 2010 (Catch it while in Beta)
    MCITP: Business Intelligence Developer (Near End of Year)

In late 2010 I intend on starting to search for new position. But that will depend on the market. I am trying hard to keep focused on SharePoint integration with BI stuff. Very hard with my ADD and so many beta exams having come out.

I got the DBA 2008 upgrade, and somehow missed the SharePoint betas.... Still hoping to get one more exam by the end of the year.