Options

Master list of B&M colleges offering online IT degrees

Comments

• Options
    HushLivesHushLives Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dmoore44 I was totally going to bring up GWU, but you beat me to the punch. My employer offers a discount to UMUC, but I don't really like the expense of their program. Especially since I would pay up front for the costs. I was looking at WGU because I have heard so many great things about them, but the thing that really turns me off on is the maximum GPA of a 3.0 that I would receive. My undergrad GPA is just barely under a 3.0 and I am not sure if I would want to stop at a Masters or not. More recently I have been looking at Sam Houston State because of cost and their reputation. GWU is still my dream school (although I wanted to go for political science) and I would absolutely love to get in there. Any thoughts on SHSU or GWU anybody?
  • Options
    brianodombrianodom Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Any more programs out there?

Great Post
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Major in Computer Networks and Security - Undergraduate School - UMUC

I'm enrolling into University of Maryland - University College's BS Computer Networks and Security program which will hopefully let me graduate with my A+, Network+, Security+, CCNA, CCNP, CCDA and MCSA. (Thats their Cisco Track. They also have a Microsoft track that gives you an MCSE and more, as well as a pure Security track.)

I wouldn't suggest it to someone without experience or decent self studying skills and motivation. This aint no easy peasy free diploma online school. It's a state school with a huge physical campus. They transfer in your degree by class which makes it much easier. If you are coming from a legitimate community college, you will have no trouble at all. As well as a $2000 scholarship for transferring.

The remaining Junior and Senior credit classes for me are just Cisco and Microsoft Certs. If you already have certs, or get them on the side, they will waive those specific classes.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    HushLives wrote: »
    GWU is still my dream school (although I wanted to go for political science) and I would absolutely love to get in there. Any thoughts on SHSU or GWU anybody?

GWU is a great school, and some of their graduate engineering programs are top notch... my only problem with GWU is that they charge the same amount as some of the truly elite engineering schools (MIT, Carnegie Mellon, CalTech), but don't have the same brand recognition - they're more widely known as a PoliSci/International Relations school.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    jrel209jrel209 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Adding another! I got accepted into Dakota State University. But I am also pending application for Washington State University for Management Information Systems. Only found out about them because I recently moved to Washington.

WSU Online Degrees and Certificates

Resident < 10 credits $569 per credit
    Resident Full-time $5693
    Resident > 18 credits $544 per credit + full-time tuition

Non-resident < 10 credits $729 per credit
    Non-resident Full-time $7285
    Non-resident > 18 credits $704 pre credit + full-time tuition
    WGU B.S. IT - Security:: In Progress (17u): C170, C175, C246, C697
    Required (38u): C698, C247, C484, C483, C176 , C179, C299, C435, C436
    Completed(12u): ORA1, CUV1, CRV1, CTV1

Transferred (68u):
    CLC1, TCP1, C393, C394, BVC1, IWT1, C278, INC1, WFV1, DJV1, TBP1, AGC1, EUC1, C132, EUP1, C277, IWC1, CJC1, DHV1, C164, C173
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Does anyone know if GWU's new MS Cybersecurity degree is still NSA CAS like the InfoSec MS was?
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    not seeing a cybersecurity degree on the list

Question though, anyone know a decent school that offers a good online certificate program?
  • Options
    ArabianKnightArabianKnight Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Of all the schools listed on this thread it is very hard to find info on the proctoring policies. For someone that travels, works out of the country and has shady internet connections, what I would prefer is a school that either lets you submit a paper as the final exam or have some sort of non webcam proctor method.

Anyone attending a school for an IT degree that would let you proctor by the above method or have the option to submit papers.
  • Options
    RivkaRivka Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What does the "tier" designation represent?? Is Tier 1 better than Tier 2?
  • Options
    atl_libraatl_libra Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Rivka wrote: »
    What does the "tier" designation represent?? Is Tier 1 better than Tier 2?

Frequently Asked Questions: Best Colleges Rankings - US News and World Report
  • Options
    chocoltboy2chocoltboy2 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm currently a student in JMU's INFOSEC MBA program if anyone has any questions. I started in the August 2012 Cohort. I also completed the M.S in Telecommunication with a certificate in Security and Forensics from George Mason. I've also continued my studies at George Mason by enrolling in the Systems Engineering program with a concentration in Architecture Based Systems Integration.
  • Options
    sparobsparob Registered Users Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    umuc reduces your master's in cyber by 18 credits if do your 4 year bachelor's in cyber with them.
    Master of Science in Cybersecurity | UMUC
  • Options
    yagerlegiyagerlegi Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Chocoltboy2...Impressive...just curious, how long did it take you get all your certs?
  • Options
    010101010101 Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Graduate

Virginia Tech (VA) (Tier I, #71 overall)
    MS-Information Technology (30 ch?)
    $488 in-state
    $957.75 out-of-state
    $14,640 in-state
    $28,732.50 out-of-state

NC State (NC) (Tier I, #88 overall)
    MS-Computer Networks (4 concentrations) (31 ch)
    $240/ch in-state
    $700/ch out-of-state
    $7,471 in-state
    $21,700

Dumb question, but is the bottom number the total cost or the yearly cost?
    I ask because I thought masters degrees were a lot more expensive?
    $20,000 seems too cheap to be the total cost?

• Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    If you multiple 31 credits by $700, you'll get 21,700, so yeah, it's the total cost.
  • Options
    sratakhin wrote: »
    If you multiple 31 credits by $700, you'll get 21,700, so yeah, it's the total cost.

Thanks, that's what I though.
    I know it seems like a silly question but I swear I've heard that getting a masters is 2x that(~$50,000).
    Maybe it's just than an MBA costs more than a Masters in IT?

• Options
    University of Maryland: Baltimore College
    Master of Professional Studies in Cybersecurity
    Cybersecurity Course Descriptions | UMBC
    No GRE
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    It took me six years in total. I just passed the PMP last week and I'm sitting for the CISA in Dec. But I'm single and I have no kids so it makes it easier to devote my time.
  • Options
    yagerlegi wrote: »
    Chocoltboy2...Impressive...just curious, how long did it take you get all your certs?
    It took me six years in total. I just passed the PMP last week and I'm sitting for the CISA in Dec. But I'm single and I have no kids so it makes it easier to devote my time.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    @Chocoltboy2:

Impressive indeed. Did you do all those degrees full time or part time? Did they help your career progress? What's your career target and what do you do now?
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    @Chocoltboy2:

Impressive indeed. Did you do all those degrees full time or part time? Did they help your career progress? What's your career target and what do you do now?
    I've worked full time while pursuing certs and degrees full time as a student, it wasn't easy. My goal is to never been in a position I'm not qualified for. I've registered my business in Virginia, so I'm waiting for the right time to leave the corporate world and run off into the sunset as a small business owner. My career target was to never have one. I looked at ever position as the next step to financial freedom and being the employer not the employee. Right now, I'm a Senior System Engineer. I get paid for what I know, not what I do, which is very little.
  • Options
    DissonantDataDissonantData Member Posts: 158
    The University of Alabama at Birmingham is offering an online masters degree in Management Information Systems. There are three concentrations: it management, information security, and web/mobile application development. UAB is designated a CAE for information assurance by the NSA and the MIS degree is aacsb accredited. There is also a masters degree in Computer Forensics and Security Management.
  • Options
    RoflawfulRoflawful Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Not sure if it has been brought up in this thread yet:

Georgia Tech Online MS in CS
    OMSCS - Georgia Institute of Technology

This program looks fantastic, and starts in Fall 2014.

The admission requirements listed on their website include:
    Students whose applications meet the minimum standard for admission to the program (B.S. in computer science or closely related field with 3.0 cumulative GPA, plus a satisfactory TOEFL score for non-U.S. applicants)

Any speculation as to whether or not WGU BS IT degrees would qualify for this program? At the very least, I'd think IT-Software should be considered "closely related", but the gap in higher math may be an issue...
  • Options
    Does your undergrad have to be in IT to get a masters in IT? Say my undergrad was History or English. .
  • Options
    010101 wrote: »
    Does your undergrad have to be in IT to get a masters in IT? Say my undergrad was History or English. .

For a MS-IT, not really. It would probably help, especially if the MS-IT you're looking at contains a more of an emphasis on compsci elements. But you don't need to come from a IT background to get an IT masters.
  • Options
    Has Georga Techs program been talked about here?
    Apparently it's only $7,000???
    Anyone know if there's a trick to it? Is it junk, is it okay?
  • Options
    widget101widget101 Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    010101 wrote: »
    Has Georga Techs program been talked about here?
    Apparently it's only $7,000???
    Anyone know if there's a trick to it? Is it junk, is it okay?

I've seen posts around the TE forums mentioning it. Georgia Tech's OMSCS is a relatively new offering, albeit an enticing one. The pilot starts this coming January I believe, so it will be interesting to hear the impressions from people who manage to gain admission to the program. Since it's a CS degree, it likely has more rigorous admissions requirements than a general MS-IT degree. They assume you have a strong CS background with a 3.0 GPA, but they don't actually list formal course prerequisites--at least on the OMSCS site (I could be overlooking them though). Usually pre-reqs for CS include calculus and discrete mathematics, programming classes (C tends to be a popular choice and is listed for the traditional CS program at Georgia Tech), computer/data structures, and so forth.
  • Options
    absaelabsael Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Arizona State offers an online BSIT.

Here is a link to the program page on asu.edu. Here is a link to the major map for the online program.
  • Options
    bull313bull313 Member Posts: 138
    SUNY Empire State College offers affordable Bachelors and Masters which works well for NY state residents. Not too bad for out of state either.
    "Follow your dreams. You CAN reach your goals. I'm living proof. Beefcake! BeefCAAAAAAAKKKKE!!!"-Eric Cartman
  • Options
    cooliforniacoolifornia Registered Users Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    any one have any complaints about WGU?