Options

Master list of B&M colleges offering online IT degrees

Comments

• Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    In regards to WGU, I would say their GE courses are too easy and a pass score is too low by my standards but that's my opinion. I feel that for college-level classes, the standard for writing, reading, and mathematics should be higher.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    I've attended 2 community colleges and 1 state college. All 3 were very similar in that the vast majority of professors work on a curve. The quote "C's get degrees" isn't actually accurate if you take the "curve" into consideration. I've had a number of courses where people who would normally have failed the course actually got a C because of the curve. So it isn't just WGU that has laxed standards in the GE department. Hell look at the statistics for college athletes. I think the article I read stated the average athlete reads at a 5th grade level.....

I agree that the standards should be higher, but that is across the board, not just at WGU.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I attended a few community colleges myself and I agree there is a curve but WGU is WAY more lax in the GE department than anything I experienced prior. That's not to say that I don't think the standards shouldn't be higher at community colleges but WGU is quite a bit lower in the GE department. I'm not saying the degree or education is useless.. I liked the experience and I definitely don't regret getting my degrees there, but that's one thing I would change about it if I could. I don't think a 50% score really shows competency in a subject or class.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    egrizzlyegrizzly Member Posts: 533 ■■■■■□□□□□
    This includes the standard Computer Information Systems (CIS) and Management Information Systems (MIS). Just use this link below to search. You have to select the "Search By Program Type" option then follow the wizard. It lets you to select whichever state you want.

BestBizSchools | Search AACSB-Accredited Schools
    B.Sc (Info. Systems), CISSP, CCNA, CCNP, Security+
  • Options
    ZazzlerZazzler Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sam Houston State University offers an online Master of Science in Information Assurance and Security.

Master of Science in Information Assurance and Security
    Currently Studying: MCSE: Private Cloud (70-246 in March; 70-247 in April)

Goals for 2014: MCSA: SQL 2012; Project+; CAPM; Linux+/LPIC-1

Thinking about: MS degree through WGU; CCNA: Security
  • Options
    steelodonsteelodon Member Posts: 103
    Has anyone looked into ASU's online offerings? I recently found out that they offer BS and MS degrees.
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In regards to WGU, I would say their GE courses are too easy and a pass score is too low by my standards but that's my opinion. I feel that for college-level classes, the standard for writing, reading, and mathematics should be higher.

Yes they should but they were still tougher then my local community college. My math 110 course I barely showed up, took 1/3rd of the tests and 1/4th of the quizzes and still passed with a C. Not sure how, maybe if I was there I could figure out the math...lol. Seriously though the adjuncts they employed where more interested in getting paid then actual education. One reason why I left.
  • Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    steelodon wrote: »
    Has anyone looked into ASU's online offerings? I recently found out that they offer BS and MS degrees.

My wife got her BS in a non-IT field through ASU online and found it to be a very good school. I have to imagine their IT programs would be just as good. I know ASU is taking the online degree option very seriously and is aiming to make their program top-notch.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195
    Applied to Penn State in November, but I ended up being denied because I didn't meet the math requirements for the IT college. An advisor said I could enroll as Non-Degree Seeking. Has anyone here done that?
  • Options
    TechnoracerTechnoracer Member Posts: 105 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Illinois Institute of Technology offers: a Bachelor and Master of Information Technology and Management degrees, with many specializations to chose from. Programs | Information Technology and Management | IIT School of Applied Technology | Illinois Institute of Technology
  • Options
    MauiMaui Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am currently taking a few classes through AMU which has a fairly decent program for information technology management.

However being a military Reservist the absolute best deal I've seen for military is the program offered by
    Florida Tech University. Florida Tech Online is an online division of Florida Institute of Technology, a private university in Melbourne. Tuition is just under $600 per credit hour. However if your a National Guard/Reserve or Active duty the price is $250 per credit hour! They are ranked Tier 1 by U.S. News and world report. I'm currently doing my due diligence.
    If anyone has any info or experience please let me know.

http://www.floridatechonline.com/university/
  • Options
    anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Texas A&M Commerce has an online Master of Science in Technology Management. They also have an online MBA with a minor in Technology Management. Tuition is $913.54 per course for Texas Residents and 1975.54 per course for Non-Residents.

Master of Science in Technology Management

MBA with Technology Management minor

Tuition Costs
  • Options
    LinuxNerdLinuxNerd Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Any of you working towards a Doctorate in Information Technology/Computer Science or PhD in Management of Information Systems?

I've been trying to decide which to start next year. I'm leaning towards the PhD because I think it will be more valuable as far as future teaching is concerned.

I wonder how a Doctorate versus a PhD is viewed as far as future career opportunities in the private sector...
  • Options
    datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    LinuxNerd wrote: »
    Any of you working towards a Doctorate in Information Technology/Computer Science or PhD in Management of Information Systems?

I've been trying to decide which to start next year. I'm leaning towards the PhD because I think it will be more valuable as far as future teaching is concerned.

I wonder how a Doctorate versus a PhD is viewed as far as future career opportunities in the private sector...

I've been thinking about a PhD or Doctor of Business Administration in Information Systems too. I would do B&M because I want to research and teach (mostly research lol).
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

• Options
    shauncarter1shauncarter1 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nuwin wrote: »
    I'll throw out Bellevue University in Belleuve, NE.

Bellevue University | Degrees & Programs

I'm a fan of Bellevue's graduate program!
    B.S. - Business Administration - 2004
    M.S. - Management Information Systems - 2007
    Doctor of Management specializing in Information Systems - 2017
    Cloud+ - In Progress
    Network Engineer and Online Adjunct Faculty ~ Phoenix, DeVry, StrayerU
  • Options
    Buckeye222Buckeye222 Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Anyone heard of ECPI? I don't see it mentioned on here and the courses looked pretty good.
    Network Security Degree - ECPI University
  • Options
    exspiravitexspiravit Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Capitol College Capitol College has both a MSIA and MSIE via online delivery. The MSIA is a CAE program and I believe the MSIE is ASEE certified.

Something else to look at is any graduate certifications one can get while pursuing your degree program and any NSTISSI/CNSS domains it maps to as those can also be valuable.
  • Options
    I saw this yesterday and thought I'd post it. It's a university in Canada accredited by the AUCC Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada. Memorial University of Newfoundland. Tuition is about 4500 for Canadian students and about 6k for international students. Any thoughts? It looks like a program I'd be very interested in.

Master of Technology Management

Tuition
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    anoeljr wrote: »
    I saw this yesterday and thought I'd post it. It's a university in Canada accredited by the AUCC Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada. Memorial University of Newfoundland. Tuition is about 4500 for Canadian students and about 6k for international students. Any thoughts? It looks like a program I'd be very interested in.

Master of Technology Management

Tuition

Mun would be considered like any RA school in the U.S.
    I've never looked at there programs as they're geared for people who live and work on the east coast usually but they're a decent mid sized school. Very well known on that coast.
  • Options
    GAngel wrote: »
    Mun would be considered like any RA school in the U.S.
    I've never looked at there programs as they're geared for people who live and work on the east coast usually but they're a decent mid sized school. Very well known on that coast.

Thanks for your thoughts GAngel. I may look into it further. The classes seem to be geared towards what I'd like to go later in my career.
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    Before you consider ECPI, I would read this information. ECPI is a for-profit university and was investigated by the HELP comittee.

Wikipedia: ECPI University - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

HELP committee findings: http://www.help.senate.gov/imo/media/for_profit_report/PartII/ECPI.pdf
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • Options
    MitechniqMitechniq Member Posts: 286 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I really like this list, it allows you compare cost of tuition for each of the schools...

Online Computer Information Technology (CIT) Degree Program Search | US News
  • Options
    deanofpledgesdeanofpledges Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    any one have any complaints about WGU?

My only "complaint" is I wished I had discovered that school sooner. Would've saved me a bunch of money in student loans.

Sure, some of the classes are "easy", but some of them are difficult as well just like at any other school. I'm pretty satisfied with my experience there. Also some of the passing scores for the "easier" classes have been raised.
  • Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Great thread,

I recently found out that my new job will pay for me to pursue a MS IT related degree so I am looking into online schools that offer MS's in Cyber Security, IA etc. Since I want it to be Security focused, since that the is the concentration I work in specifically. I've looked into WGU in the past when it would of been a personal expense but now that my employer is willing to pay I want to expand my options.

So far from reading around two of the ones that appeal to me the most are UMUC and Penn State. Both seem to be pretty reputable and offer quality programs. Anyone have any personal experience with either of these two?
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm interested in talking to any students/alumni who attended Bellevue University. Please PM me. I just have some general questions and I promise not to spam you :)
  • Options
    ougijoeougijoe Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just a quick update, the Graduate list is missing quite a few schools (Also, the rankings are looking quite a bit different these days)

Best Online Information Technology Programs | Online Graduate Computer Technology Degree Rankings | US News
  • Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for the update ougijoe, Penn State - World Campus made the list at #4 and their Cyber Security MS degree looks very interesting and also seems like one that would be very well respected among employers.
  • Options
    ashernatanelashernatanel Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Add NYU to the list. They offer a Cybersecurity MS and a Cybersecurity MS - Management Track. Both can be completed on campus or entirely online.

http://engineering.nyu.edu/academics/online/masters
  • Options
    Rumblr33Rumblr33 Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am looking for anyone that has been or currently a graduate student at Saint Leo University in Florida. I want to start their online MBA program with a concentration in Information Security Manangement and Project Management and I was looking for any information that can be provided. The university looks very appealing and the tuition is not ridiculous.
    Thanks in advance.