Options

Inexpensive VMware Training Options

Comments

• Options
    EcioEcio Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Goldspot wrote: »
    Just wanted to brag a little. I managed to sneak into the Aug-Sept. class, which ends this week. I took the VCP5-DCV last week and passed! Unfortunately, I have to wait a couple of weeks for my cert to process since Stanly doesn't send out course completion notification to VMWare until next week.

Now I have the same question as a previous poster: Where to find other classes (besides ICM) on the cheap. The "What's New" class that will be required to update to VCP6 next year will likely be $2k-$3k, just like the current "What's New" class. Also, I wouldn't mind taking "Optimize and Scale".

Congrats! Sometimes when VMware releases a new course it's in "beta" and so it's discounted. For example now they have the 5.5 series that is in beta and for the what's new you pay I think 750$ instead of 1500. The "problem" is that it is still cheaper to attend again a course like ICM @ Stanly than do that course (if you have enough time to wait for a seat AND wait for the release of the 6.x version of the courses and exams).

Btw AFAIK in the past when they released new certifications (i.e. VCP5) they give a couple of months to VCP4 owner to do the new certification *without* attending a what's new (or complete) course.
  • Options
    mikeparksmikeparks Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Looks like UCSB Extension is offering the Install, Configure, Manage class for $1650. It is instructor led and meets on Fridays and Saturdays starting in January. Looks like the class only takes 3 weeks and they sometimes offer it in Ventura. Might be a good option for people in L.A. It works for me.
  • Options
    effektedeffekted Member Posts: 166
    Posting so other people living in the following states won't get their hopes up: If you are a resident of Alaska, Arkansas, Kentucky or Minnesota you aren't eligible to take the class through Stanly unfortunately.

Here is the email from Stanly today:

At this time Stanly Community College is unable to serve students online who reside in Kentucky. When you registered on the VMware online wait list, we were not aware of this. SCC must follow the guidelines set by your home state, and Minnesota has rigorous requirements that are limiting our ability to serve you.

I know you have been waiting since June to take this class, and I apologize for any inconvenience this causes you. You will be issued a full refund of any tuition already paid.

Here is the statement issued by our Vice President of Organizational Growth, Development & Effectiveness:

State Authorization Compliance:
    Federal and state regulations require that all institutions of higher education comply with existing state laws regarding distance learning. As these regulations are continuously evolving, Stanly Community College (SCC) makes every effort to maintain compliance where feasible. SCC works with the regulatory agencies in each state and US Territories to seek authorizations, exemptions, or permissions to continue to offer distance education programs, courses, and certificate programs to residents who wish to enroll in our distance learning education offerings.

Admission of out of state resident applicants to an online degree, certificate program or individual online course offered by SCC, is dependent on the College’s ability to secure authorization from the applicant's state of residence.

At this time, due to evolving changes in higher education regulations, SCC is unable to serve all of the students that are interested in our courses or programs. SCC will no longer be able to offer distance education online programs or courses for students residing in Alaska, Arkansas, Kentucky, and Minnesota.

Additionally, students enrolled in programs or courses that require internships or supervised clinical placements will be unable to complete these activities in the states listed above.

Again, I am truly sorry to have to be the one to tell you, but unfortunately, we have no other options available to us at present since we have been unable to secure authorization from Kentucky. If you have any questions, or if I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.
  • Options
    ITMonkeyITMonkey Member Posts: 200
  • Options
    googolgoogol Member Posts: 107
    Wow, that sucks for people in those states. Good news is there are alternatives like Ohlone (basically Stanly but in CA) and the UCSC silicon valley extension that people mentioned among the threads. There is also more colleges offering, one guy mentioned it in San Antonio, another in Ventura, CA part of UCSB extension and I am sure countless others. I would look at all colleges in your area to see if they offer it or have plans to offer it. If not local, the online of Ohlone should be able to satisfy it unless they are held by the same issues as Stanly.
  • Options
    Yea I went through all pages of this thread to get ideas for other schools. Ohlone is the top choice right now since it's cheaper than the others, even though I can expense the cost most likely, I don't really have $1,000-1,500 to spare. I went through the google docs sheet a while back before I found out about Stanly and there were multiple schools in KY but none that I could find offered it online but I also didn't have much luck finding info on their sites. I am going to probably call or email them to find out specifics. In classroom likely isn't going to be an option since I work during the day, and none of the schools were relatively close (I think the nearest one was almost 2 hours away).
  • Options
    phonicphonic Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    While not 100% confirmed, there was a discussion in another thread that anyone can sit for the VCP510PSE exam and if they pass will achieve VCP5 certification - even if they didn't take the official VMware academy class. I had my doubts on this, but was told this verbatim from a VMware certifications employee earlier today. They apparently don't validate class participation of any kind for this exam. Another person said that they took the exam and passed, but didn't see the cert until the school sent the confirmation of attendance, so take it with a grain of salt.

In any case, it might be an option - especially if you already have the necessary skills and experience. As it's been discussed, no class really prepares you for the exam, so its not like there is much of a benefit outside of checking off a box. Worst case scenario, you could always take a class later.

Sorry to hear about your luck - that really sucks and makes no sense that you can't take a CE class. I can sort of understand a degree, but not just a single class. Since the price difference between Stanly and other schools is so great, maybe you can temporary reside at a relative or friends house in a more favorable state for the 8-week program ;).
  • Options
    tgtdtgtd Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Another Stanly waitlist member, here...heard from Jana on Monday and successfully registered for the Oct-Dec Stanly course. I almost gave up my spot last month when i came close to getting employer sponsorship for a bootcamp style class, but glad I didn't since that opportunity fell through. Looking forward to getting started and connecting with any fellow techexams members that are in the class as well!
  • Options
    phonic wrote: »
    Since the price difference between Stanly and other schools is so great, maybe you can temporary reside at a relative or friends house in a more favorable state for the 8-week program ;).

Yea I've presented that question to the person from Stanly that informed me today that KY residents aren't eligible. I have multiple states that I can use an address from, might just have to re-add myself to a wait list and be sure to register with the address I'll be residing at during the course ;)
  • Options
    googolgoogol Member Posts: 107
    I think legally, you have to be living in the state/address you state for like 2 years. That is what Ohlone asked during its application process for California. Other states may be different. Guess it all depends how you play it and if there is any risk, small to medium.

@phonic: That sounds odd with the PSE exam, I think it is a unique non public link to request authorization for it isn't it? I do not think its a public link to do that. The public link is to register for the regular class VCP510 I think..

It seems weird they would take away the course requirement, in any capacity, because they never wanted just a paper cert, plus at least some validation you know a basic level of VMware.
  • Options
    phonicphonic Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    @googol: I agree completely and made the same arguments myself. But then I was told the same thing someone else was, and it sounded like it could be the case. And yes, AFAIK the PSE link is somewhat hidden. It isn't a unique or secret URL, but they don't advertise it on VMware's site and there doesn't seem to be anyway to click through to it unless you know it already or are coming from a Academy member's registration page.
  • Options
    MJPByronMJPByron Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Goldspot wrote: »
    Just wanted to brag a little. I managed to sneak into the Aug-Sept. class, which ends this week. I took the VCP5-DCV last week and passed! Unfortunately, I have to wait a couple of weeks for my cert to process since Stanly doesn't send out course completion notification to VMWare until next week.

Now I have the same question as a previous poster: Where to find other classes (besides ICM) on the cheap. The "What's New" class that will be required to update to VCP6 next year will likely be $2k-$3k, just like the current "What's New" class. Also, I wouldn't mind taking "Optimize and Scale".

Did you study out of a book or anything during your free time to pass the exam, or were you able to do it entirely from the class alone?

I've heard some people say that depending on the instructor, you don't really get much actual test prep and they had to do some additional prep for the exam.
  • Options
    For anyone that did the ICM class through Ohlone, do you just apply for admission like you would be doing a degree?
  • Options
    swefredswefred Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Mr.Fix wrote: »

I am taking the vmware course through Academy Programmes | Essex | GRA Training for £625.

How was this course ?
  • Options
    GoldspotGoldspot Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    MJPByron wrote: »
    Did you study out of a book or anything during your free time to pass the exam, or were you able to do it entirely from the class alone?

I've heard some people say that depending on the instructor, you don't really get much actual test prep and they had to do some additional prep for the exam.

The class alone is not sufficient to pass the test. I don't care what instructor you have, there is just too much material to cover in a week. I suppose that for people who are quick studies or already have a VMWare background, they could take the test with only the class, but I think that is the exception rather than the rule. This was, by far, the hardest test outside of college that I've taken.

I recommend downloading the latest blueprint and going through each bullet point until you thoroughly understand it. I also HIGHLY recommend Scott Lowe's Mastering VMWare 5. Pearson VUE's The Official VCP5 Certification Guide was also a good book as it follows the blueprint (including labs). If you have access to a lab, use the lab to go through everything on the blueprint. EVERYTHING. Don't skip anything. Pay attention to the Enterprise+ features that you may not have normal access to (host profiles, dvSwitches, etc.).
  • Options
    GQ SmoothGQ Smooth Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just wanted to provide an update for the individuals who are still on the waiting list. I followed up with Ms. Kennedy last week and my number has jumped up from the April class to the January class. I signed up for the waiting list in late August.

I'm hoping that I can get one more jump into into the December class.
  • Options
    fahiskmfahiskm Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Appreciate if you could share experience if you have registered already for the VMware course in Ohlone. Tnk.
  • Options
    Dragon KillerDragon Killer Member Posts: 12 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Would like to thank a lot to the original poster (or guys) who discovered Stanly, without you guys I wouldn't be doing the VMware course anywhere in the near future.

I waitlisted a long time ago and I'm actually enrolled on the Oct-Dec course. I also bought Mastering vSphere book and hope to get past the test in late Dec or January. :)

For you guys who aren't on the wailist yet, don't wait and sign up, it was by far the best option to get past the training pre-req.
    Currently hold: VCP5-DCV | VCA-DCV | Microsoft Exams 74-409/70-659/70-290 | ITIL v3
    Studying for: EMCISA v3, VCP6-DCV Delta and Red Hat
    Check out by blog - https://www.thinkit.com.br/en/
  • Options
    am3rig0am3rig0 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just wondering if anyone from outside of US signed up for the course with Stanly? Or is it only available to US residents? Thanks!
  • Options
    chanakyajupudichanakyajupudi Member Posts: 712
    Anyone can. I am signed up from India.
    Work In Progress - RHCA [ ] Certified Cloud Security Professional [ ] GMON/GWAPT if Work Study is accepted [ ]
    http://adarsh.amazonwebservices.ninja

• Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    am3rig0 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone from outside of US signed up for the course with Stanly? Or is it only available to US residents? Thanks!

I'm in Ireland and have completed the course.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    EcioEcio Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just FYI I received yesterday an invite for 2 seats left in the January class of Stanly Vmware courses, but I've not replied (it's not the right moment to do it for me). I should be put in the March wait list.

Edit: I put my name on the list at the end of September (but I don't remember if I opted for Jan-Mar of the next)
  • Options
    am3rig0am3rig0 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    chanakyajupudi & Kinet1c thanks for your replies. Just of curiosity, did you guys get the books? Just wondering if it's worth getting them.
  • Options
    SimonD.SimonD. Member Posts: 111
    It's definitely worth getting the Academy books as it has all the exercise information as well as the powerpoints.

I studied at an Academy and rate them although I do know that you have to be careful, just remember that training alone won't give you enough to pass the exam.
    My Blog - http://www.everything-virtual.com
    vExpert 2012\2013\2014\2015
  • Options
    Radiohead316Radiohead316 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I completed the course from Canada. I definitely would not get the academy books. The slides can be seen online, and the lab instructions are right in the lab itself.

As many people have said already, the Scott Lowe book is much more useful.
  • Options
    SimonD.SimonD. Member Posts: 111
    I completed the course from Canada. I definitely would not get the academy books. The slides can be seen online, and the lab instructions are right in the lab itself.

As many people have said already, the Scott Lowe book is much more useful.

Great for going through afterwards (especially if you're doing the Cloud course later on).
    My Blog - http://www.everything-virtual.com
    vExpert 2012\2013\2014\2015
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I didn't get the books, I picked up Mastering VMware Vsphere 5 from Scott Lowe and it's what I'm using to go through the exam blueprint.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    2busy2busy Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ecio wrote: »
    Just FYI I received yesterday an invite for 2 seats left in the January class of Stanly Vmware courses, but I've not replied (it's not the right moment to do it for me). I should be put in the March wait list.

Edit: I put my name on the list at the end of September (but I don't remember if I opted for Jan-Mar of the next)
    Hello Ecio and everybody,
    Is one of those seats still available?
    Thank you in advance
  • Options
    chanakyajupudichanakyajupudi Member Posts: 712
    I guess you have to be on the waitlist for you to get that email.
    Work In Progress - RHCA [ ] Certified Cloud Security Professional [ ] GMON/GWAPT if Work Study is accepted [ ]
    http://adarsh.amazonwebservices.ninja

• Options
    2busy2busy Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes, I am already on the waitlist but for the summer period, so if it was possible to get access to the course sooner it would be great.