and presto they have bumped up the cost to $1500
  • Options
    echo465echo465 Banned Posts: 115
    anobomski wrote: »
    and presto they have bumped up the cost to $1500
    Can't blame them. I wonder how many students are there via Techexams.net
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    I took the course there. Was the first one for VCP5 and the first one they had of the year. It was only $1000 but I can see how they increased it. Even at $1500 they are still cheaper than the normal $3500. Still sucks though.
  • Options
    xzyanxzyan Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    QHalo wrote: »
    I took the course there. Was the first one for VCP5 and the first one they had of the year. It was only $1000 but I can see how they increased it. Even at $1500 they are still cheaper than the normal $3500. Still sucks though.

was it good class ? can you describe how the labs works ? , do you think newbie for vmware will learn and be able to perform from this class ?

Thank you !!!
  • Options
    The labs were nested ESXi hosts running on their clusters. It was a bit slow at times but performed well overall. They basically give you a View desktop into their environment and you work from there. 24/7 access to the desktop and to your equipment. A newbie is still going to need tons of practice and labs. But it gives you a pretty good foundation.
  • Options
    xzyanxzyan Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The labs were nested ESXi hosts running on their clusters. It was a bit slow at times but performed well overall. They basically give you a View desktop into their environment and you work from there. 24/7 access to the desktop and to your equipment. A newbie is still going to need tons of practice and labs. But it gives you a pretty good foundation.

ty !!! for the reply , i just grabbed mastering vmware 5 book , i will read it little and then decide ... so far the reading is good
  • Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    I'm probably only taking 1 class over the summer and it is an Advanced Server technology class that is pretty much all VMware. Wonder if I'll get a voucher at the end of the class. I noticed my University is on that list.
  • Options
    pusherpusher Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□

QHalo or anyone who took the CCC&TI course, was attendance critical? Since the class schedule is in eastern standard time, there's no way I would be able to attend it. I did talk to the course organizer and he said sometime one has to be live with course for some sort of registration.

It's a bummer that they raise the cost to $1500 bucks. A few months ago, it was at $1000.

Is the UCSC course still going? I've just checked it and it only has the "inquire" button. Where as before, they have a schedule and cost of the course.

Also, does anyone know how soon do I have to complete the vmware course after I passed the VCP5 exam in order to become a VCP5 officially?
  • Options
    dabadaba Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Bumping an old thread for the same question. Is attendance mandatory? I really want to get in on this but have to work late a few nights a week.
  • Options
    JBrownJBrown Member Posts: 308
    Talk to your instructor, and adviser before signing up for the class. Instructor might I]he is NOT required to, it all depends on the teacher's willingness to help you out[/I give you some extra credit work to do, to make up for the missing classes.
    daba wrote: »
    Bumping an old thread for the same question. Is attendance mandatory? I really want to get in on this but have to work late a few nights a week.
  • Options
    loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    Anyone know of a cheaper option than $1000 in the Colorado area? I can't afford that but really want VCP5 icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    JBrown wrote: »
    Talk to your instructor, and adviser before signing up for the class. Instructor might I]he is NOT required to, it all depends on the teacher's willingness to help you out[/I give you some extra credit work to do, to make up for the missing classes.

I teach the ICM class at a local college and yes attendence is manidatory. You are allowed to miss one class.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Options
    odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    loxleynew wrote: »
    Anyone know of a cheaper option than $1000 in the Colorado area? I can't afford that but really want VCP5 icon_sad.gif

I've heard of some colleges offer it cheaper but not in the last year. To be honest, I think the cost is properly alighned. I think it keeps the value up on the certification. You may want to rethink why you are getting the cert, and what value you put on educating yourself. Yes, 1-2k for a class is expensive, yet if it helps get you a job making more money than isn't it worth it? After having a solid year working in VMare and getting the VCP5, I'm now getting offers for 30k more than I made the year before.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Options
    cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Does anyone in the San Antonio, Texas area have any experience with a class like this at all? I thought about exploring this option during this upcoming fall semester.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    I contacted my uni (alma mater and previous employer) and even though they were on the spreadsheet, they didn't have any info on the program. Emailed VMware and keeping my fingers crossed.
  • Options
    That's my issue. A local community college is on the spreadsheet but I can't find any info on their website. Guess I'll have to make a visit out there.
  • Options
    Just give them a call and ask. Save yourself a trip.
  • Options
    taternuts666taternuts666 Member Posts: 200
    I've called all the colleges within about a 75 mile radius that are on that list. No one at any of the schools has even heard of this. Ugh... this is frustrating...
  • Options
    That's the thing. Nobody seems to know what I'm' talking, lol. So I figured I would see if any locals had gone this route before. I was trying to avoid going down there because I am not familiar with the campus, there is tons of construction down that freeway, etc. I don't want to seem lazy but I figured if they couldn't help me over the phone they wont do much in person. I guess there is only one way to find out...
  • Options
    I did not mean to imply that he could skip entire semester and show up for the final only. But, if he has to come late or leave early, due to his work schedule, he should talk to instructor. Most (not all) instructors would understand and not fail/cut you for such a reason.
    I teach the ICM class at a local college and yes attendence is manidatory. You are allowed to miss one class.
  • Options
    OzzieITOzzieIT Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi powerfool,

Thank you for this info. Currently I am living in a small town here in Australia. So, I need to find authorized VCP online course. Have you ever come across any training center/university who are offering courses in VMWare?

Thank you in advance!
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I did mine from here > https://course.ucsc-extension.edu/modules/customer/checkout.action . Cost was $1100, the course was 2 months long though and you do it at your own pace. With the high Australian dollar, my course cost me about $990 AUD. The instructor was good, you could ask him questions when you wanted via a pm or a chat session. The other good part about this particular place was that the instructor doesnt deliver lectures that you need to attend. There was another place called CCT&I that offered the VCP for $1500, but you needed to be online when the lecture was delivered. The lecture was delivered at 11am AEDST, not good for us here down under.

You can take the course at any place provided it's an authorized center and the program is accepted by VMware as a prerequisite for the VCP 5 certification.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    OzzieITOzzieIT Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you Essendon.
  • Options
    I looked up the course at ucsc and it looks like its 2 weeks. Were you working full time when you took the class? Any idea how much time you spent total on the class?
  • Options
    Dunno which one you looked at, but I took the online class. The duration was 2 months and you could do it at your own pace. I was working full-time when I took the course. Total on the course was $990 (course cost) + $10 (lab manual cost) = $1000AUD. If your in the US, it's cost you $1110 USD. I think they've increased the price and the class now costs $1200 USD. I'm positive that there may be other places that may do it for cheaper. A TE member posted a while ago that he did it for something like $600, so look around and save yourself a fair bit of coin.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options
    Do you know if its a 5.0 or 5.1 course?
  • Options
    5.0, AFAIK. When in doubt, email them and confirm. Dont take my word for it, they may have updated to 5.0.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options
    Essendon wrote: »
    5.0, AFAIK. When in doubt, email them and confirm. Dont take my word for it, they may have updated to 5.0.

/offtopic
    when a deal is too good to be true never email, never call, just order and pray it will be delivered. rule #1 at Slickdeals.net
    j/k

Could not resist, sorry.