Options

Bl8ckr0uter's Security+ trek

Comments

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    He's shooting for 900, dude. If he gets 890-895, he's going to consider that a fail. icon_razz.gif

Nope, he wanted a 950 :p
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    knwminus wrote: »
    Pretty much. I saw somethings on the self test that I have never seen before (retrovirus?) and a few design questions didn't make any sense (IMO). I think that I should be ok. I will need to go over some port numbers, raid levels, and (most importantly) control models. I actually care much less about the test now and I am more concern with increasing my infosec l33tness (I cannot believe it recognized l33tness as a word).

SSCP is in my not to distant future as is C|EH so I am just building my core security knowledge. The Network Security Bible has been way overkill for the S+ IMO but we will see on Saturday. I'd like a 900 but if I can get a 87X+ then I would be happy. My current company doesn't care about certs at all so I am doing this for me.

All kidding aside, I can see, understand and respect where you are coming from. I thought the control models were a joke but for the exam, all you really need to know is what they are and when they are appropriate for use. Since you already had to know what an ACL is, that portion of the exam will be cake for you as well. When you sit for the exam, you're going to see how ridiculously easy it was.

I can't promise you'll get a 900, but I can safely bet you'll pass with a high score. Just let it happen instead of shooting for it.

RAID is easy. 0 stripes, 1 mirrors, 5 stripes with parity. 10 stripe o' mirrors.

There are numerous sites that explain it: here's one of them:

An Introduction to RAID - iBizDir.com
  • Options
    All kidding aside, I can see, understand and respect where you are coming from. I thought the control models were a joke but for the exam, all you really need to know is what they are and when they are appropriate for use. Since you already had to know what an ACL is, that portion of the exam will be cake for you as well. When you sit for the exam, you're going to see how ridiculously easy it was.

I can't promise you'll get a 900, but I can safely bet you'll pass with a high score. Just let it happen instead of shooting for it.

RAID is easy. 0 stripes, 1 mirrors, 5 stripes with parity. 10 stripe o' mirrors.

There are numerous sites that explain it: here's one of them:

The way I would kind of remember it, is that the higher the number the better. 0 is bad. 1 is good. 5 is better, 6 is like 5 but adds the extra parity, and 10 is a combo between 0 and 1.

Also remember that using Raid 1, but having both drives on the same controller still presents a single point of failure. Using a second controller will add that extra protection and is called disk duplexing.
  • Options
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    The way I would kind of remember it, is that the higher the number the better. 0 is bad. 1 is good. 5 is better, 6 is like 5 but adds the extra parity, and 10 is a combo between 0 and 1.

Also remember that using Raid 1, but having both drives on the same controller still presents a single point of failure. Using a second controller will add that extra protection and is called disk duplexing.

Oh yes, the disk duplexing is definitely worth the mention. For Security+, that is definitely important to note because it's definitely addressing the single point of failure. (the controller, if you only have one).

But since we're talking about bad, RAID 0 isn't really RAID at all. But it has to be mentioned so that you know why you wouldn't use 0 on mission-critical apps (when one disks goes, all your data goes...and God help you if you never backed up data on RAID 0....lol).

For databases, I most certainly use 10 because performance is essential as well as the level of redundancy.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A

Good link. I know them pretty well but it is something that I could easily mess up (since when I take the test I will be coming off of a 12 hour shift). The same with the ports and access control levels. All other things I think I have in the bag.
  • Options
    Good link. I know them pretty well but it is something that I could easily mess up (since when I take the test I will be coming off of a 12 hour shift). The same with the ports and access control levels. All other things I think I have in the bag.

You could be drunk and high as well, and you'll still pass with a high score (of course, I don't recommend it....)

The RAID questions aren't that deep. The questions period aren't that deep. You are seriously putting too much into this.

You could take the thing right now and call it a day!
  • Options
    You could be drunk and high as well, and you'll still pass with a high score (of course, I don't recommend it....)

The RAID questions aren't that deep. The questions period aren't that deep. You are seriously putting too much into this.

You could take the thing right now and call it a day!

Probably lol. I don't have time to go take it though. Oh well.
  • Options
    Probably lol. I don't have time to go take it though. Oh well.

You'll be fine, my dude. Just read every question and answer. As long as you do that, you won't get tripped up. Hell, you might even get that 1000... icon_razz.gif
  • Options
    I got the hardware in the mail last week. The certificate shrunk and I'm not sure if I'll be able to find a frame for it.

I am quite impressed with the new cards. Rather than being a piece of stiff paper, they are an actual plastic card.
  • Options
    DoubleDDoubleD Member Posts: 273 ■□□□□□□□□□
    just got Score: 80% on the comptia websites questions
    82 percent on the trancenders exams
    and read daryls book twice took the 100 questions exam at the back got 77-100
    not bad now Ive jst got 20 days to prep till the real exam
  • Options
    DoubleD wrote: »
    just got Score: 80% on the comptia websites questions
    82 percent on the trancenders exams
    and read daryls book twice took the 100 questions exam at the back got 77-100
    not bad now Ive jst got 20 days to prep till the real exam

You should seriously consider bumping that date up for two reasons.

1. You are ready for it now. Get it done and move on to bigger and better things. (Or just spend the extra time relaxing.)
    2. If you decide you are content with your knowledge and spend less time studying, by the time 20 days roll around, you will have likely have forgotten some of the information that you know today.

You are clearly ready to take this exam.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You should seriously consider bumping that date up for two reasons.

1. You are ready for it now. Get it done and move on to bigger and better things. (Or just spend the extra time relaxing.)
    2. If you decide you are content with your knowledge and spend less time studying, by the time 20 days roll around, you will have likely have forgotten some of the information that you know today.

You are clearly ready to take this exam.

Agreed. Its go time!!!
  • Options
    thanks guys for you encouragement
    I still think I will need the 20 days im expecting the real exam to be more diffcult than daryls book exams but thanks for you advice ive got my own notes to keep refering back over. im giving it my all for the final push
  • Options
    Seriously, I want to know who was the guy that made Security+ feel like you were going for some doctorate-level exam?

Like DoubleD, I always had a bit of anxiety about taking this exam because I heard this exam was rough. But when I sat for it, it really wasn't that bad. Mind you I was still nervous about hitting "End Exam", but not that much.

By all means, I'm not saying folks are morons for failing it or anything like that... FAR FROM THAT!

But what I am asking if you have made proper preparations for the exam, you'd expect to pass, right?
  • Options
    I still think I will need the 20 days im expecting the real exam to be more diffcult than daryls book exams but thanks for you advice ive got my own notes to keep refering back over. im giving it my all for the final push

I say this with all due respect.

You couldn't be ANY MORE WRONG!!!
  • Options

It isn't. If you can score even 80% on Darril's final test you would have a decent shot on the real thing.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It isn't. If you can score even 80% on Darril's final test you would have a decent shot on the real thing.

My Security+ journey is nested in this very thread and at first I was the same as you, DoubleD. Its true no one should ever underestimate a test but after going through it with Darill's book and CBT Nuggets, I definitely feel it is doable even after one run with Darill's. The scores you are getting do indicate you have a good chance at passing the test. In the end it comes down to you and the computer and what you choose to input into it during the examination. If a higher mark on practice tests is what works for you before taking exams by all means keep pace. In interviews, they're not going to ask you what score you got on Security+ only if you truly have it (if you list it).

I think the concern is that if you read Darill's book twice, and you ran through the 375 questions twice, you've done not only more than enough to pass the exam, but you've set yourself a great foundation for security as a whole. In terms of taking the exam, if you let the stuff simmer for too long, some of it will fade as this is natural with all knowledge. IMO another 20 days isn't going to change the result drastically if you've studied this much already. You definitely do not want to overstudy for this or any exam.

If this comes off wrong in any way I do apologize.
  • Options
    Didn't come out wrong to me. +1 on that!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Didn't come out wrong to me.

That's what she said? icon_scratch.gif

Oh, and if you want to see something funny, check this out: SECURITY+ - TechExams.net IT Certification Forums
  • Options
    Hi thanks guys again for your encouragement.
    I dont underestimate this exam. Before I took the exam I heard people and trainers where saying Sec Plus is by far the most difficult CompTIA exam to pass so I dont underestimate it. I think for me part of what makes it a more difficult exam is that is the most expensive one to do out of the three CompTIA exams and also its got the higher scoreing pass rate you need 760 or more I think and the other compTIAs where less. So thats what makes it feel like there is more pressure on you to get a high score and i dont want to fail this one I need to come out of the exam room with a pass.
    I have enjoyed doing this test so far its been fun.
  • Options
    So now I have to work on Saturday with an AC compressor upgrade. There goes my Security+ time icon_sad.gif guess it will be the 11th.

I just remembered I was in the middle school during September 11th. I am almost 23 now. Wow! I was sitting at a table looking at my now wife's nipples and the TVs came on for TV 1. It was very cold in the room that day. They showed the towers burning and I thought it was a movie trailer. Then the second plane hit. Wow...
  • Options
    Sec Plus is by far the most difficult CompTIA exam to pass so I dont underestimate it.

I'd rank them like this. (from hardest to easiest) Net+, Sec+, A+.
  • Options
    So now I have to work on Saturday with an AC compressor upgrade. There goes my Security+ time icon_sad.gif guess it will be the 11th.

I just remembered I was in the middle school during September 11th. I am almost 23 now. Wow! I was sitting at a table looking at my now wife's nipples and the TVs came on for TV 1. It was very cold in the room that day. They showed the towers burning and I thought it was a movie trailer. Then the second plane hit. Wow...

to be honest I kind of expected this to get bumped back again.

I was also in middle school in my American History class. Shortly after the first plane, my teacher turned on CNN and told us to put our assignments away, this was important.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd rank them like this. (from hardest to easiest) Net+, Sec+, A+.
    For me it would be Sec+ A+ Net+
    Mainly because of how the Sec+ questions were worded and they required thinking about what the best answer was. The Net+ to me was the easiest as it just interested me more and it just seemed to come to me easier.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options

I was also in middle school in my American History class. Shortly after the first plane, my teacher turned on CNN and told us to put our assignments away, this was important.

Hey now this time it really wasn't my fault. I actually had it booked and everything but the business comes first. I'll bring back that 950 for you I promise.
  • Options

I was a Desktop Support Tech for an financial firm. We were DIRECTLY accross the Twin Towers (World Trade Center) on the Jersey City side. I was working on running a maitenance kit on a HP workgroup printer when suddenly people were racing to the east part of the building. They were looking at the first tower hit. All work pretty much stopped from that point. Then what was minutes later, I saw the second explosion with my own eyes from the second plane hitting the second building. Then I saw that building crumble down first, then the other one not too long later.

Out of all my experiences, I remember that day like it was yesterday. My building became a triage center. The building project manager went to the warehouse club to buy food and supplies for many people (including NYC policemen and firemen) (the warehouse club was forced to eat the cost after all was said and done) who needed some level of first aid before they went to the area hospitals. That is a day that will live in infamy.
  • Options
    Oh my....from hardest to easiest:

I'll go with the standard answer, but honestly, I'd rank Sec+ and Network+ equally. But if assuming I couldn't:
    Sec+, Net+, A+ (and that's despite the fact that it was two exams.....)

DoubleD, when you sit for the exam, you really are going to have nothing to worry about. I wish I could show you, but I can't. You're just going to have to trust me/us. I'm just hoping this isn't keeping you up at night.

knwminus, the next time you prolong this thread, it better be because of a death in the immediate family or they're in the hospital for some grave illness. I know you're a young guy that's all about the loot and feel you have something to prove for reasons I'm very familiar with...but you are within your rights to let the company know now (and I mean right now) that you cannot be around for the 11th because you need to knock out Security+. Believe me, they will be cool about it as long as you project confidence that you're going to pass (and for you, that projecting that confidence and passing shouldn't be that hard). And I say this as someone who's been around the block a bit longer than you have... :)

At this rate, you should score 1800.....(in other words, you could take Sec+ twice, pass and get perfect scores on those....even on the BS questions that don't count).
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I actually had it booked and everything but the business comes first. I'll bring back that 950 for you I promise.

How are you planning on getting the 50 extra credit points?
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    How are you planning on getting the 50 extra credit points?

He is going to sleep with the proctor.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    He is going to sleep with the proctor.

I tried that, it doesn't work.

I bumped the test back too, was going to take it on Tuesday but work has been crazy...