Options

Stanly CC Fall 2013 VCP 5 Class

Comments

• Options
    MNABIUDDINMNABIUDDIN Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

I need your help.. I have registered for VCP510PSE exam but I am unable to schedule the exam because Pearson VUE website is asking for a promo code/voucher.

Please help me with the steps you took for completing your VCP510PSE.
  • Options
    phonicphonic Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    MNABIUDDIN:
    For some reason, the code the instructor sent us will not work for the PSE exam, though it does appear to work for other exams (such as the non-PSE version).

In order to get the discount on the PSE, which is the one you should be taking, goto the Stanly online VMware store (https://vmware.stanly.edu/). Login with your Moodle credentials. There, you can download many cool VMware software packages (12 month license I believe for most/all) as well as an exam voucher. You need to follow the instructions and redeem that voucher at a third party site (I forget which off the top of my head, but they tell you where to go) and then pay for the remainder of the exam fee (~$6icon_cool.gif there. They in turn will give you another voucher code that you redeem at Pearson for the PSE exam.

Yes, it's a bit wacky, but that should work for you. The Stanly voucher is only good once. I'm not sure if the other code can be used on a retake or not.
  • Options
    TheProfTheProf Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 331 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Can I ask why would one do the PSE and not the regular VCP510 exam?
  • Options
    They are basically the same exam. The question pool is identical according to VMware, and there is nothing different in the test experience.

However, the standard VCP-510 exam requires the expensive VMware training class in order to get the VCP certification. The PSE exam does not.

According to VMware Certification Department, one could actually take the PSE exam without going through the VMware Academy program and get their VCP certification, though that has not been proven to be factual and another person disagreed based on a personal experience.

Now, the Stanly class shows up on my transcript just like the standard ICM class, so I don't know what that means regarding qualifications. All I know is that Stanly and VMware say that students should take the PSE exam and not the normal one in order to get the VCP. Whether or not both would result in the same result, I wouldn't want to take the risk personally, especially since there is no reason not to take the PSE.

Can you imagine passing the non-PSE only to find out you need to take the PSE exam instead (or take a VMware course)? That would suck.
  • Options
    linuxabuserlinuxabuser Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    No, that would result in a call to VMware who would correct it.
  • Options
    xordisxordis Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just give VMware a call on +1-887-486-9273
    I had to call them to first submit for the PSE exam, and then to finish the process once I passed the exam.
    Both times I was on the phone about 5 minutes and they sorted it out without keeping me on the line and without having to call back (good as I am in Australia)

As for why would you do the PSE exam, well when I finished my course someone posted the instructions on how to order the discount voucher through the bookstore. I did that and bought a PSE exam (not knowing that the PSE was anything different)
    At the true end of our course the instructor emailed us the code to buy the normal exam (it had even more discount I think).
    If you haven't ordered the voucher, just wait for your instructor to email. Will save you a lot of hassle.
  • Options
    No, that would result in a call to VMware who would correct it.

Maybe. As I said, it may not matter. And if the Certifications department has any power to override, I imagine it would be a justifiable thing to do.

But your comment implies that this is something that they will do for anyone under all circumstances. Are you sure about this? Has anyone ever passed the non-PSE and received their VCP with only the academy class completed? If so, great, but I have not seen any evidence of this. And even if it worked for one, that doesn't mean it would work for all. So unless there is undeniable proof that this is an official VMware policy, you shouldn't give people advice to go against the instructions when there is no benefit to not taking the PSE exam. Because there is a chance it could result in problems down the road, so why take the risk.
  • Options
    linuxabuserlinuxabuser Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    After completing the Stanly class I registered for the VCP5 (non PSE) so I'll be the first to try it I guess. At the time I didn't realize there were any stipulations in doing that.

If there IS a problem, I guess I'll use my Stanly Store voucher and re-take the test and pass it again.
  • Options
    tstrip007tstrip007 Member Posts: 308 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I took the non pse test today and passed. I called VMware after and they its the same test so there shouldn't be a problem. Guess we'll see.
  • Options
    Good to know... I was under the impression that I could just do the regular VCP510 exam and be done with it... If VMware doesn't mind, great, should make things a lot easier.
  • Options
    xordisxordis Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This is the email I got from VMware when I realised that I registered for the VCP510PSE exam.
    Regarding your Case xxxxxxx

Hello xxxxxxxxx,

Both exams (VCP510PSE & VCP510) are a qualifying exam for the VCP5-DCV Certification. They are both the same the only difference is if you are received a voucher from the VMAP course, then you would select the VCP510PSE exam.

I hope this answers your question.

If we haven't completely addressed your concern, please reply to this email with the subject line intact or call us between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM Pacific Time Monday through Friday referencing this Case Number and we will be happy to assist you.

Thank you

VMware WW Certification Advocate
    PH [URL="tel:%2B%201-866-377-4710"]+ 1-866-377-4710[/URL] [North America]
    FAX [URL="tel:%2B1%20650-739-0499"]+1 650-739-0499[/URL] [North America]
  • Options
    Ok, so it looks like if we were to use the voucher given to us by Stanley CC, we would have to register for the PSE exam, otherwise VCP510 would still qualify for the VCP.
  • Options
    tstrip007tstrip007 Member Posts: 308 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The voucher Stanley gave me was for the VCP-510 which I was able to use more the once. I did receive my certification last night so there is no issues there. I believe there is another voucher in the stanley bookstore that you can get that is good for the PSE exam. But if the other voucher is good for more than once, why go with the other?
  • Options
    tstrip007 wrote: »
    I took the non pse test today and passed. I called VMware after and they its the same test so there shouldn't be a problem. Guess we'll see.

Congrats on the pass! How would you rate taking the test the second time?

Also, nice to see they still issued the cert with the non-PSE test per your later comment.
  • Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'll be taking this course starting this upcoming Monday. By reading the past threads in this post, do I need to call PearsonVue about linking my PearsonVue account with VMWare?
  • Options
    Pearson Vue has a.....unique way of handling accounts. Basically, you have multiple independent accounts for each company (ie: Cisco, VMware, etc.). It's a bit confusing because they make it look like you can link them, but that doesn't work. You should request an ID from VMware and then create a cooresponding Pearson Vue account. Then provide the information you gave to VMware to Stanly once you start the class (via the Registration module in Moodle) to get credit for the class.
  • Options
    phonic wrote: »
    Pearson Vue has a.....unique way of handling accounts. Basically, you have multiple independent accounts for each company (ie: Cisco, VMware, etc.). It's a bit confusing because they make it look like you can link them, but that doesn't work. You should request an ID from VMware and then create a cooresponding Pearson Vue account. Then provide the information you gave to VMware to Stanly once you start the class (via the Registration module in Moodle) to get credit for the class.

Phonic,

How do I request an ID from VMWare? Or does the StanlyCC instructor do this on my behalf?
  • Options
    googolgoogol Member Posts: 107
    Your ID is associated with your account at mylearn VMware site and PearsonVUE when you request authorization for the exam. This 15 min or so process generates your unique ID that is needed, the candidate ID.
  • Options
    jdancer wrote: »
    Phonic,

How do I request an ID from VMWare? Or does the StanlyCC instructor do this on my behalf?

Either way, depending on what you do. Personally, I would recommend creating your own VMware MyLearn account. This way you can have access to other stuff on the site prior to finishing the class. Otherwise, if you don't have one, the instructor will create an account for you when they submit your info to VMware at the end (when you pass).
  • Options
    Well, tomorrow is the big day. Taking the VCP exam at 8:15AM. I've spent the last week using various resources to study (CBT and TS videos, Mastering vSphere book, lab work, etc.) and think I'm as ready as I'm going to be to take it on my first shot. I'm not certain I'm going to pass but figure I have a good chance. Worst case scenario, I study some more and take it again in a couple weeks.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck, phonic!
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    Woohoo!

Passed the VCP exam with a 422!

Was definitely a very difficult test and the class provides very little to prepare for it (not Stanly's fault, it's a known problem with the ICM class).

Glad it's finally over with and I can go and study for something else now!
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    MeatCatalogueMeatCatalogue Member Posts: 145
    So the oct - dec class was supposed to start yesterday - I logged into moodle and there is nothing in the class. No topics, no calendar, etc. Anyone confirm they see the same?
  • Options
    HP_GuyHP_Guy Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats Phonic!

You haven't updated your certifications ;)

Had you much experience before taking the course?
  • Options
    So the oct - dec class was supposed to start yesterday - I logged into moodle and there is nothing in the class. No topics, no calendar, etc. Anyone confirm they see the same?

Agree. All I see is a bunch of lines of color?
  • Options
    Radiohead316Radiohead316 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I believe you have to complete the stuff at the top - syllabus, consent quiz etc, then modules 1-3 should appear.
  • Options
    BGravesBGraves Member Posts: 339
    Hey, anyone know when this course officially ends and the next one begins? I am EXTREMELY interested. Also, any feedback from current students would be helpful! Since VmWare has updated their certification titles recently, does this class still act as "Install, Configure, Manage" class for Vmware and allow for the taking of the VCP5-DCV?
  • Options
    jdancer wrote: »
    Agree. All I see is a bunch of lines of color?

Well, by reading past posts here. I had to complete the assessment quiz to reveal modules 1-3. Working on getting my VMWare Candidate ID to link with my PearsonVue account.
  • Options
    Yes there are some prerequisites that must be completed like the assessment quiz and what not... Also, those that are in this class should have received an email from the instructor regarding how to unlock the modules.