Cisco's $10 Million in Scholarships for Cyber

Comments

• CIOCIO Member Posts: 151
    Congrats to those that received acceptance emails so far. I on the other hand, haven't received any email from Cisco.
  • Abdullah.AAAbdullah.AA Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    havent received any emails from them since the one on October 25th with the questionnaire.

no biggie I'll wait
  • dizzy_kittydizzy_kitty Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm pretty stoked. I received my email this morning. I applied sometime in June, had 3 checkmarks on the last assessment (Security+, Female, Under 5 years of IT experience) and scored a 25.5/30.
  • CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Cyberscum wrote: »
    Yeah I was gonna shoot for 15-20.

I just think they are looking for less qualified people. I don't even care about the cert as much as I want to figure out the criteria they are using based on the limited info they have out there lol.

Im gonna take it now. Wish me luck......but not too much lol

UPDATE: 19/30!!!!! damn I'm good ;)

Lol got the finalist email. Guess they are just randomly picking ha ha
  • CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'll sell my spot to the highest bidder
  • QueueQueue Member Posts: 174 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I can't recall, but wasn't there some talk of using demographics as a way to narrow the pool? As in, people from other states (US) or countries. I know we don't want to list PII, but maybe that is what is being used. It would seem strategic so they wouldn't risk having say everyone in California certified, but the rest of the world isn't. You have to spread it around to grow the hype.

By the way, no response from Learning@Cisco for me yet.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm pretty stoked. I received my email this morning. I applied sometime in June, had 3 checkmarks on the last assessment (Security+, Female, Under 5 years of IT experience) and scored a 25.5/30.

goodwork! and congrats!

I didnt make the cut and I registered with two different emails. Maybe I have too much experience? I am half way done with CCNP security and more than 12+ years networking and security.

Please update us on the next steps and what they have you doing :)
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I received my acceptance email yesterday around 5:00. Yay!!!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    it would be a better deal if you can just do it for me.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    alias454 wrote: »
    it would a better deal if you can just do it for me.

You guys are just too funny, LOL icon_santa.gifbowing.gif
  • ekoplexekoplex Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Matt Saunders - Community Manager
    Hello - You should be hearing if you were accepted or denied entry into the Cybersecurity Scholarship program from November 15-November 23.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    "So your telling me there's a chance..." -Lloyd Christmas
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,013 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ekoplex wrote: »
    Matt Saunders - Community Manager

schweet!
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • ReinstallReinstall Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Queue wrote: »
    I can't recall, but wasn't there some talk of using demographics as a way to narrow the pool? As in, people from other states (US) or countries. I know we don't want to list PII, but maybe that is what is being used. It would seem strategic so they wouldn't risk having say everyone in California certified, but the rest of the world isn't. You have to spread it around to grow the hype.

Cisco more than likely gives vets high priority and then prob women.

I'm a vet
    have a couple Cisco certs
    3+ yrs experience
    27/30 on test

Basically, I have enough experience to be able to take the next step into security.
    chopsticks wrote: »
    What is vets?

Veterans
    Veterans

Wish you good luck!
  • ivx502ivx502 Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't count on that. Who knows what method they choose.
  • GeekyChickGeekyChick Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @ivx502

On their site they said they are doing it first come-first serve as long as you qualify. Whew, I'm still hoping.
  • 8thdegreepwnologist8thdegreepwnologist Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats to all those accepted! Make us proud!icon_study.gif
  • 9bits9bits Member Posts: 138 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So it seems it's been a few days since any acceptances have been reported. I want to go ahead and make other plans, but I don't want a cisco acceptance showing up after I do. Think it's safe to assume rejection at this point?
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,013 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So, how many are they giving away? I know it says $10 million worth, but I am curious how much it actually cost per person to take this CyberOps class? I still haven't heard anything yet either.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
    9bits wrote: »
    So it seems it's been a few days since any acceptances have been reported. I want to go ahead and make other plans, but I don't want a cisco acceptance showing up after I do. Think it's safe to assume rejection at this point?

According to a Cisco Community Manager the cut off date is the 23 of November, but nothing official comes from Cisco.

I wouldn't guarantee the rejection yet, but I wouldn't say anyone should've planned on being accepted either.

So, yes I believe you should have other plans.
  • superbeastsuperbeast Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I received an e-mail but it was from Cisco Security Marketing. It the graphic header it says Thanks for your recent interest in Cisco Security.

Text below that says, "We'd like to continue to provide you with information that helps you keep your organization secure. We know how time consuming it can be to stay on top of the onstantly changing threat landscape. Not only does Cisco have a robust portfolio of security solutions, but we also have exclusive research from top IT security analysts and video tutorials to help you protect your IT infrastructure from advanced threats that can help you keep your organization secure."

I've navigated through the Cisco website and have clicked on a few links related to Cyber(and not related to Cyber Ops program) so I'm not sure if this is my rejection letter or an automated e-mail based on my search through their site. Anyone else receive the same e-mail to narrow in if this is the "rejection e-mail" or not?
    A message posted by the Community Manager today, which reaffirms the cut off date.
    Just to clarify something we have seen a lot of postings around this weekend, acceptance to the best of my knowledge is not geography based. I have seen many posts from people in many different locations sharing there acceptance.

Also, to remind everyone: You should be hearing if you were accepted or denied entry into the Cybersecurity Scholarship program from November 15-November 23.

Congratulations to all the have been accepted so far.

For those that have not been accepted, while you wait, please begin by reviewing the exam topics and study materials found here.

Cyber Ops (CCNA)

There will be additional scholarship program participation options in the "Spring of 2017" as well. This is only the beginning of a very important journey.

• 9bits9bits Member Posts: 138 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't guarantee the rejection yet, but I wouldn't say anyone should've planned on being accepted either.

So, yes I believe you should have other plans.

I have tentative plans. But once I tell my company I'm going ahead with this other exam, then that's it. Even if Cisco accepts me afterward, I'll have to pass on it. Just trying to avoid that.
    superbeast wrote: »
    I received an e-mail but it was from Cisco Security Marketing. It the graphic header it says Thanks for your recent interest in Cisco Security.

Text below that says, "We'd like to continue to provide you with information that helps you keep your organization secure. We know how time consuming it can be to stay on top of the onstantly changing threat landscape. Not only does Cisco have a robust portfolio of security solutions, but we also have exclusive research from top IT security analysts and video tutorials to help you protect your IT infrastructure from advanced threats that can help you keep your organization secure."

I've navigated through the Cisco website and have clicked on a few links related to Cyber(and not related to Cyber Ops program) so I'm not sure if this is my rejection letter or an automated e-mail based on my search through their site. Anyone else receive the same e-mail to narrow in if this is the "rejection e-mail" or not?

The rejection email should come from noreply@cisco.com. It sounds unrelated, and I'm not aware of anyone who has received a rejection email yet.
    I have tentative plans. But once I tell my company I'm going ahead with this other exam, then that's it. Even if Cisco accepts me afterward, I'll have to pass on it. Just trying to avoid that.

But why would you have to declare your are going for a specific cert to your company? Especially since they don't care what cert your even going for. Just start studying for one on your own and then if you get accepted for the scholarship, start going for that, and then tell your company.

Not that it matters now since we are only a couple days from the final deadline. Best of luck! Hopefully they send out a mass email accepting a bunch of people. I'm not too optimistic myself about getting chosen if I haven't been already though icon_sad.gif
  • techsecuritytechsecurity Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I havent heard from anyone to be denied until today, on the other hand I found a few that were accepted today. Lets hope for the best.

Also from Matt right now
    I don't have much information on the selection criteria, only that the grading was based on assessment score, and number of certifications among other criteria. I will see if I can get any more insight into the process.

What it counts most is the assesment score and certifications?