Cisco's $10 Million in Scholarships for Cyber

Comments

• MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Here is to hoping to hear something tomorrow!
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Just got trolled by Learning@Cisco. Email from them about Cyber Monday deals. There is nothing as poisonous as false hope.
  • Abdullah.AAAbdullah.AA Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ertaz wrote: »
    Just got trolled by Learning@Cisco. Email from them about Cyber Monday deals. There is nothing as poisonous as false hope.

hahaha, yup got the same email as well.

"Learning@Cisco ?!?! Woohooo... wait what is this shi... cyber monday, moving on"
  • ekoplexekoplex Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yea. That Cyber Monday deal email is the last straw, I'm over it.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    RIGHT! I opened up my email this morning and see an email from Cisco and it had Cyber in the title (Was just skimming over all my emails) and got all excited! Open it up to just get disappointed all over again.
  • tphan3tphan3 Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Matt Saunders is off for holidays already. Hopefully, Cisco still has some employees remaining to send out congratulations email. I can't wait another week icon_sad.gif
  • RepliconReplicon Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Same here, got trolled by that email, cisco sales....
    I am really pissed on Cisco, I had 28/30 on the exam, had 3 check marks and have not received invitation yet. I was planning on upgrading the network at work with Cisco but might swing to Juniper now icon_redface.gif
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I don't understand how so many of you can be upset that you haven't been selected (yet) for something that cost you basically nothing.
    I don't understand how so many of you can be upset that you haven't been selected (yet) for something that cost you basically nothing.

Upset? No. I'm still getting tacos at lunch.

Lol, not really upset. Just like talking about it icon_wink.gif But who doesn't like to get free stuff!?! Must be rough Mr. Moneybags
    Lol, not really upset. Just like talking about it icon_wink.gif But who doesn't like to get free stuff!?! Must be rough Mr. Moneybags

This *10.
    Hey I applied too. But I'm not "pissed" that I'm not getting selected. Nor have I planned my life around a free scholarship from Cisco that was never guaranteed to me in the least.
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 896 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Reinstall wrote: »
    Cisco more than likely gives vets high priority and then prob women.

I'm a vet
    have a couple Cisco certs
    3+ yrs experience
    27/30 on test

Basically, I have enough experience to be able to take the next step into security.

I have all of this and have not been accepted. icon_sad.gif
    Ertaz wrote: »

Got the email today too. I was so enthusiastic and quickly became disappointed. They could've at least offered a discount on VIRL 30-node.
    Hey I applied too. But I'm not "pissed" that I'm not getting selected. Nor have I planned my life around a free scholarship from Cisco that was never guaranteed to me in the least.

You see the knob that says "Take everything literally and too seriously"?? Turn it to the left a little bit.

Don't think anyone is actually that pissed about it. Back to studying for my GCIH exam next week... Cheers
    You see the knob that says "Take everything literally and too seriously"?? Turn it to the left a little bit.
    No, I do not see that knob. Where can I find it?
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□

Don't think anyone is actually that pissed about it. Back to studying for my GCIH exam next week... Cheers

I have seen first hand what happens when stores run out of free stuff. People do get genuinely upset when they don't get free stuff.
  • Abdullah.AAAbdullah.AA Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□

Good luck with that, I also Intend to go after GCIH and GCIA in 2017
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So here is an update from when I called Cisco cert support line:

They said the following:

people who were qualified will receive emails on Nov 17th and Nov 22nd. Those who did not qualify will receive emails during any other dates besides these 2. So in otherwords, the Nov 17th batch of qualified people were already sent. If you don't get an email by the 22nd end of day, then you will get an email on the 23rd saying you did not qualify. I still haven't gotten my email yet so hopefully by end of day today I get the email saying I got in.
  • sheikysheiky Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for sharing the update kMastaFlash. Hopefully, we will wait for the selection email.icon_rolleyes.gif
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    kMastaFlash based on what you stated guess I'm not selected. Good luck to those who were. I started back this morning prepping for the GPEN so now I can look forward to taking the exam in January.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
    No problem. I didn't hear anything about it so I thought I would call them and ask. If I get the scholarship great if not then no worries. Best of luck with the GPEN JoJoCal19! Just curious but are you attending a bootcamp for it through SANS or are you self study? I'm currently doing OSCP and hopefully after OSCP jump into GPEN. Just curious about what books you plan on using for GPEN! Best of luck coming up with $1,300 for the exam attempt ;) I'm broke as all get out so guess that will have to wait for me!
  • RepliconReplicon Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Replicon wrote: »
    Same here, got trolled by that email, cisco sales....
    I am really pissed on Cisco, I had 28/30 on the exam, had 3 check marks and have not received invitation yet. I was planning on upgrading the network at work with Cisco but might swing to Juniper now icon_redface.gif
    I will not agree with you at all. You spend time, create account, went through answering questions, then answer more questions etc. Its not like Cisco decided to give it randomly to people on the forum. Plus take into the account that they want to advertise Cisco and so on and IMHO they are doing poor job
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    S So in otherwords, the Nov 17th batch of qualified people were already sent. If you don't get an email by the 22nd end of day, .

doesnt' seem like anyone got the email today on TE
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    I'm just curious but for the people that did get accepted, did you say that you will write a success story and for those who didn't get it, did you say that you will not write a success story? I can't remember which one I put but I did see this:

Candidate acknowledgment:
    • Planning a career in IT cybersecurity
    • Prepared to complete training in three months
    • Willing to share a success story

I don't think I put that I would agree to write a success story so guess I'm out hahahaha.
    Well, a lot of email was time-stamped 5PM, so It could be arriving late in the day today.
    Replicon wrote: »
    I will not agree with you at all. You spend time, create account, went through answering questions, then answer more questions etc. Its not like Cisco decided to give it randomly to people on the forum. Plus take into the account that they want to advertise Cisco and so on and IMHO they are doing poor job

I agree. If Ciso said they would pick out random candidates in the end of October email, then I would know I would get a chance of not being selected. I would be happier. Right now, I did very well on the assessment, checked all three boxes, agreed to write the success story and still dont get accepted? I will never pay to get a cisco cert ever if I don't get this
  • superbeastsuperbeast Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Man a lot of people are pretty salty about this whole thing. Total time in applying and responding to Cisco e-mails was ~ less than 15-20 minutes. The answers to questions were not automatically qualifiers nor did it actually give a strict guideline for acceptance. I assumed Cisco received a LOT of applicants probably with similar or better qualifications than some of us on this board. Do you get salty for purchasing a lottery ticket and find out you didnt win? Or do you just get over it and buy another ticket with hopes you'll win next time? Boycotting Cisco products because you haven't even received some sort of notification is a bit extreme. This is technically considered charity. Be humble you all had an opportunity to be a part of this and move on.
    So I guess we just need to do well enough on the assessment, check a box just so we can get considered and wait for luck to come to us? I just wished Cisco would give tougher assessment and criteria of how they selected people. They called it a scholarship not a charity, and I assumed it was for the ones with the best knowledge. But not the best got the scholarship right? Honestly, I do get disappointed if someone with a lower score than me get in. I guess it's life. If it was for charity, then we can all take a random number and wait to be called. Just my opinion.
  • superbeastsuperbeast Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    @tphan

"So I guess we just need to do well enough on the assessment, check a box just so we can get considered and wait for luck to come to us?"

Pretty much. Cisco doesn't release who scored on what. So if it wasn't for people being open as to their score, you wouldn't know if someone else with a lower score received it over you. I know it's not a charity, which is why i said "technically". Cisco is giving away resources to individuals. Everyone's post regarding how Cisco will be selected is all speculative. If you're using this as a measure on how Cisco is selecting individuals, then I would suggest using your efforts toward something more useful. No one knows how Cisco is selecting their winners. So take whatever is posted here with a grain of salt until Cisco releases an official statement as how they came up with their selections for the scholarship.

For those who received confirmation they were not selected, there's another opportunity in Spring 2017. Try again if you're really that eager to be considered for this scholarship.
  • ekoplexekoplex Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Cisco Learning Network Moderator
    Hi All,

For those of you who are still waiting to receive an email update, the notifications are still being sent out and will continue to be sent out through tomorrow, Nov 23. Applicants who submitted their Final Step Qualification form will be notified if they were accepted or denied entry into the scholarship program. So please continue to keep an eye on an email update.

Thank you for your continued patience and best of luck to you all!

Regards,
    Rigo

He does say in another message that the notifications sent out until the 23rd will be both acceptance and rejection emails. This contradicts what kMastaFlash heard, I guess we will have to wait and see.